Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
Dude, you could publish a tabletop book of your animal pictures.

They are incredible.

There is no content in this post because these are so good it's well beyond my ability to critque them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Medusula posted:

I love this. The color and the space and the serenity. I like that little cabin on the left, the stillness of the water. Makes me want to go to there.

The first one had too much sky space for me.

--

I'm quite new and trying to improve.

This picture is not good, but I feel like, it should have been, or could have been something. Please help me to improve my processing and composition.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Augmented Dickey posted:

A few shots from the driving range yesterday...not sure if they work or not. Lately I've really been enjoying shooting with this fossil of a DSLR for some reason.

The picture of the feet and grass is amazing. I love the depth of field and the sense of motion captured in the image.

aliencowboy posted:

This is really incredible. I love your processing. I wish I knew what it was that you did to make these images look so... I can't even find the words. Your style resonates with me. I had a series of your pictures of some canyons as my desktop backgrounds on my previous computer.

--

472-2 by tijag, on Flickr

458-3 by tijag, on Flickr

457-2 by tijag, on Flickr

I just recently started taking pictures again. I find I don't know what I like to take pictures of, or what style I should have. I guess I'm reasonably happy with how these turned out, but I look forward for all the critiques you are willing to share with me.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Holistic Detective posted:

I think the first of these is definitely the strongest. There's just too much empty space in the second and that gradient at the top is a bit distracting.

Thank you for the feedback. Surprisingly I didn't apply that gradient. That's mostly what it looked like out of the camera. I think I will try a tighter crop on the second one and get rid of the emptiness.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Holistic Detective posted:

Huh, in that case I apologise and retract the comment. That is some freaky sky.

It was a storm moving in, and parts of the sky were still blue skys, and parts were rain clouds.

Was risking my D7k to take pictures. I know I adjusted the blacks and whites etc, so that part of the sky, which was dark to begin with, got even darker, but the 'gradient' look to it, is what the sky was like.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

doctor 7 posted:

Just reposting these two which seem to got lost in the critique chain

I really like the casual nature of the picture with your parents. Actually it looks like it might have been a challenging situation to get a good exposure because of all the shadows and bright lights, but it's really pleasant and nicely exposed. It feels warm and classy and I'd like to have breakfast with you guys.

482-2 by tijag, on Flickr

I have never done so much post work on an image. Actually I'm really just trying to learn what the various things in Lightroom do.

Here is the original straight out of the camera.

482-3 by tijag, on Flickr

Did I do too much/go way over the top? Even 'that sucks I like the original better, and the original sucks too' would be useful critque for me.

edit: what the heck it is SOOO much darker on flickr than it is on my computer :( what is going on? I exported it as sRGB, 100% jpg.

wtfflickr by tijag, on Flickr

tijag fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 11, 2012

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Reichstag posted:

I'm a sucker for power lines, and I like this, but the composition makes me think that maybe it wasn't supposed to be the focus of the shot?

dukeku posted:

Trying out slides at night, metering is a little tricker than with print film.

I love both of these. The top one has like a menacing evil playground feel. The bottom one just has amazing color and I love the exposure. Is the sky clipped to black in the bottom image, or is that a really dark blue?

Side note:

I figured out all my color issues and can now actually post something that looks like it did in Lightroom.

20120425-482.jpg by tijag, on Flickr

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

LargeHadron posted:

I shot this photo. The scene was appealing to me, probably because the trees seem to part and make way for the building, and the wires act as a frame. There are probably millions of other photos out there that do this same thing better, but I am very recently becoming interested in photographing hidden beauty in scenes that are typically ignored or considered ugly at first glance. Yay or nay?

DSC01398 by Large Hadron, on Flickr

I see what you're going for here, but for me there is too much green, and the area of the screen that's green is also very distracting, with lots of small little leaves. Then the blue area of the screen is essentially flat with no detail at all.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

ogopogo posted:

I'm a huge fan of verticality in photography, so this really struck a chord with me. The division of ocean, sky and clouds creates a very pleasing flow. As was stated previously, it feels a touch underexposed in the bottom third. Other than that, it's terrific!

----------------

A friend wanted to do some vanity photos so I obliged her!

EDIT: The usual complaint about the color/tone shifting when uploading... should be less yellow than it is now.

If you're getting color shifting from uploading your color profile in Windows 7 isn't set right.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

I loved this picture and wanted to weigh in on the processed one vs. the 'natural' one.

For me the image is far more striking when processed with the white background. It feels singular and monolithic in a way that the one with the natural processing and the clouds just doesn't. At least for me.

Here is a picture from my Scotland trip.

It's quite boring and 'generic' so I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for processing or cropping that might make it less boring.

20121006-_DSC4355 by tijag, on Flickr

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Vlex posted:

I took this near my parent's house in western Norway, you can barely make out the North Sea between the slate sky and extreme background. It's the edge of a small pond that is somewhat inexplicably at the very summit of a hill/small mountain.

SA

Shot it with my Nikon D3100, an Xmas gift, and twiddled with some knobs in Lightroom. I really, truly have no clue what I'm doing, but I liked the way it turned out.

That said, I do notice that:

- the horizon has a slant
- the sky is uninteresting
- the bushes to the right add clutter
- again, there's a slant to the foreground terrain, although the grass to the right was genuinely lower than the granite to the left.

tl;dr I made a photo

You can correct the horizon, push the exposure up a little bit, and check the 'remove chromatic aberration' box in Lightroom.

Casu Marzu posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sorry you got probated because you didn't read the rules, but I have to say this picture is really glorious. From where did you take this picture? It seems like it would be quite rare to be above a bird like this. You did a great job with whatever you did to get this image.

tijag fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 8, 2013

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

BANME.sh posted:

This'll be my first post in this thread :ohdear:

Twisty Tree by iamthejeff, on Flickr

I'll start off by taking the easy way out and critiquing myself with this photo. I saw these two trees forming somewhat of a spiral and thought it would make a good photograph. I wish the background was a little less in focus, and I would have preferred framing it a little less in the center, but there were some ugly distractions just out of the frame on both sides that I didn't want in the shot. Besides that, I quite like the angle of the shot, I am just not sure about the framing of it.

There is a lightroom checkbox that will likely remove all that chromatic abberation.

Also, as a critque of this photo, it's Possible that this may be a subject for an interesting picture, but the fact that it's cut off at the top, and then all the back ground image stuff, makes this feel very much like a snapshot to me.

tijag fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

BANME.sh posted:

I was shooting in AP, but I'm not sure why I didn't have it wide open. :(

I'll look for that option, thanks.

I'll try harder I guess. I'm still trying to make the transition from "neat snapshots" to real big boy photography :)

1) I'm not sure what AP is, do you mean 'aperture priority'? If so, then in that mode [usually referred to as 'A'], you have control over the aperture. So the reason it wasn't at the max aperture would be that you didn't roll the dial to make it 1.8.

2) Yeah, I made a preset in Lightroom to check that box for all pictures I take. Dunno if that's smart or not, but I notice the CA a lot with my 35mm f/1.8G, and lightroom helps to kill it.

3) try harder, shoot lots of pictures. Don't worry, I'm also trying to make that transition myself. I just didn't post anything for critque. :)