Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I took some pictures while walking (not standing still to take a picture) to a pub last night (after already having consumed a fair amount of alcohol), and although I probably shouldn't have done that, I like how this one turned out. Is the motion blurriness effective or does it just make it look like a mess? Please advise.

PB230155 by Cacator, on Flickr

Brewdog posted:

Here are a couple of my recent shots. Be harsh please:

Glasgow Uni by Benbrewer85, on Flickr

Does the negative space hurt this picture? I'm still not sure.

I don't mind how the tower looks, but the lower half is kind of muddled. Get rid of the sign maybe.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Enigma89 posted:

I really dig this. But I can see what you mean about maybe looking a bit too messy. The only thing I wish was that the people had a bit more exposure so I could see a bit more details on them, but I dig it.

I probably could do that, I actually just threw on one of the B&W presets in Lightroom and thought it looked better. I'll see what I can do without losing the contrast with the background.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Opinions on the framing with this? It was just a snapshot so he was originally centred and I cropped it, I feel he's still a little too in the middle but it was better to have the traffic lights be more centrally positioned. Also, should there be more space above his head? Below? I don't take a lot of portraits.

LN by Cacator, on Flickr

TheJeffers posted:

From last night:

Adjust Seat by TheJeffers, on Flickr

It's too bad that out of focus green towel on the right is in the way, a bit distracting.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Gracias for the input, y'all. I cropped closer and pushed him towards the right, could have gone a little further but I wanted to keep just a bit more of those trees on the right in.

LN by Cacator, on Flickr

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

I don't think the crop works, it draws attention to the fact that the image isn't quite sharp, which wasn't noticeable before. The wide street in view was what made the photo for me, filling the frame with him more isn't as strong because his pose and expression are a bit deer-in-the-headlights. It was ok in the original frame, but looks awkward here.

Ah. I'll keep playing around with it. Seems like I should crop wider but keep him off to the right? Centering him is a little boring I'll admit.

Edit: Here's the uncropped version for comparison

Edit 2: Let's try again.

LN by Cacator, on Flickr

Cacator fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 17, 2012

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Here's a few I took on a trip to Switzerland and exclusively used an X100:

Artistically Placed Tree by Cacator, on Flickr

Clock Tower Graffiti by Cacator, on Flickr

Stechelberg by Cacator, on Flickr

Alps by Cacator, on Flickr

Clouds over Luzern by Cacator, on Flickr

The last one I'm having trouble with, don't know if it is exposed too little or if I should convert it to black and white or if something less blue would work better.

HookShot posted:

Louvre by hookshot88, on Flickr

Louvre by hookshot88, on Flickr

I usually like taking shots like this at art museums and did at the Kunsthaus in Zurich, but I can't really explain why, if it's just the aesthetics or the way space is used in a museum or what. Not really a critique, but how would you describe it?

Cacator fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 12, 2012

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

David Pratt posted:

This is pretty boring. Central composition, and it's just a picture of someone else's art. Fair enough if you're documenting street art, but as a photo it doesn't stand on its own.

Understandable, I guess I can crop closer to push it to the left.

Clock Tower Graffiti by Cacator, on Flickr

quote:

This seems underexposed to me. I understand you had to to get the god ray in as much detail as you did, but I'd be tempted to draw an exposure gradient across the bottom left of the picture to lighten it up. Either that or darken it completely so it's just a silhouette against the sky.

Went with the former and added the gradient. Thanks for the input.

Clouds over Luzern by Cacator, on Flickr

Cacator fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 12, 2012

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Hotwax Residue posted:

I think the the horizon should be lower in the frame. And maybe you could have got down closer to the flowers, that would make the tree appear larger.
Divided it more into thirds:

Artistically Placed Tree by Cacator, on Flickr

Would a center crop work as well?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

the nicker posted:

Really digging this. It looks like veins spreading through some type of tissue, like a leaf under a microscope. I almost wish the bench wasn't visible through the foliage at the bottom to complete the illusion.

It looks like the close-up of a cornea to me, actually (do not do a google image search for cornea).

Here's a few more from my trip to Switzerland:

Kunsthaus Zurich by Cacator, on Flickr

Rolex Learning Center by Cacator, on Flickr

On the Waterfront by Cacator, on Flickr

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

xzzy posted:

That guy's actually doing a kickflip, isn't he? (on cobblestone too, making him a legitimate badass)

And you cloned out the skateboard. :colbert:

Nope, he's doing a legitimate leg-powered human jump. And I have no skill with image manipulation. It was a difficult shot to get since the X100 is most definitely not meant for action.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I've actually got two other photos of him, but I'm not sure what I think of them, so here they are:

IMG_2445 by difficult listening/url], on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/zR8DgL]

IMG_2446 by difficult listening, on Flickr

I prefer the second one, it's better framed and makes you think "what he lookin' at?" whereas the first one seems just like a snapshot you took while he was walking by. Which it probably is?

I'm a bit stuck on this one. I like the original perspective (left) looking up at the tree, then I ran it through the Lightroom auto-align so it looks a bit more "correct" but I'm not sure what I prefer, or how much to boost the red capes on the girls. Or maybe I could go easier on the processing? Help!!

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

I've got three different framings of this that I can't decide on. I'm also not sure if the colours are oversaturated (it's the default Astia profile though so I haven't touched anything). I'm leaning towards the first image due to its intimacy but there's a bit of a flare from the light above stuck in there.

Nigel Tufnel posted:

- The angle that the building is leaning at feels wrong but I couldn't find a good way to correct it in post. I rotated the shot but I think I need to learn how to do perspective correction in PS.

Could you maybe recentre the building so that the base of the building fills the bottom of the photo? I feel like there's too much empty space on the left side. I'd get more of an impression that the edges of the buildings are converging at the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I recropped in 4:3 and I do like it more. Thanks for the suggestions!

Agreed. It seems the most interesting and the road draws the eye nicely.

Yeah that's something I hadn't considered when taking the photo (I was totally creeping on those people) but the road framing is the best in that one for sure.