Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

Brewdog posted:

Here are a couple of my recent shots. Be harsh please:

Glasgow Uni by Benbrewer85, on Flickr

Does the negative space hurt this picture? I'm still not sure.

Yes, it does.
If you're going for a high contrast yet low key (i.e. dark) shot of a building, get a lot closer, and fill more of the frame. It might have looked good as landscape too.

Brewdog posted:

Walk on by by Benbrewer85, on Flickr

I know beggars are cliche and generally frowned upon but I wanted other opinions as to whether the woman walking past and ignoring him was interesting enough to make an exception?

I like your motive here, but there needs to be more of a focus on what you're trying to achieve. You want it to be about the begger and the woman, yet they're minor elements in the photo. It's a

If you moved to the right a little before taking it, you'd get more separation between the woman and the begger (and you'd see it more as people shot with street in it, rather than a street shot with people in it), you'd see more of the pavement and get some cool lines going on too.

Here's a couple of shots for a local locksmith.
I wanted a backlight but I'm getting some harsh light on the reflective keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

VomitOnLino posted:

Okay.

Time for my pictures.

These are self developed, and this is probably why I have some emotional attachment to these pictures. I'm not sure if they work for anyone else- so I would like to hear some critiques/input.

I like the feeling of openness and emptiness of this particular shot.

The tonality and texture of this one speaks to me even though it is quite simplistic. I guess the composition could be better.

And with this one I might be breaking an unwritten PAD rule. Because this shot does not work for me, but I can't exactly work out why that is. When I managed to sneakily take this shot I was glad I got it and then- cue the disappointment when I scanned/printed it.

First one, absolutely love the openness, the loneliness, like a ghosttown.. something you'd see in North Korea or on the outskirts of an Indian city, etc. Tone is spot on, but I do find the trees on the left to be a little distracting. Their tone is darker than everything else in the image.

Second one I really like too, but I want to know more about it. What's its setting, why is it there etc. Not a critique but I feel like I want to know more :D

Third one I think is a little simplistic. I wanna either see more of the man, or more of what he's looking at. Having either of those would make it more interesting.

Mine:
Three entirely different shoots.

Angelo with Fire #1 by Rick0r McZany, on Flickr

Ayr Lox'ide #1 by Rick0r McZany, on Flickr

Punk D'Amour by Rick0r McZany, on Flickr

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

Cacator posted:

Gracias for the input, y'all. I cropped closer and pushed him towards the right, could have gone a little further but I wanted to keep just a bit more of those trees on the right in.

LN by Cacator, on Flickr

Another hint, to make men look more masculine, angle him so the light is hitting the side of the face that is not facing the camera. Posing Males 101 :)

One from me on behalf of the wife.

K J Storey by MrsMcZany, on Flickr

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

Phummus posted:

I like all three of these...the third being my favorite. The first two are just a hair too dark for my tastes.

IMG_1431.jpg by jmorris4371, on Flickr

IMG_1432.jpg by jmorris4371, on Flickr

IMG_1428.jpg by jmorris4371, on Flickr

With these three, I think the first one is more along the lines of what you're after in a typical "coffee table landscape book" shot. There needs to be more separation between the foreground and the background IMO. More context, not like 'Bam, block of ice, Bam, landscape'
I think the elements are fighting for focus. Is it a shot of the ice, or a shot of the landscape. They need to compliment each other more. Stick to the rule of thirds for now and see how that works out for you.

I really like the second one, it brings out the details in the ice better than the third IMO.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
With my three images for the day, I can't decide which I like best. I know which one I prefer, but I thought I'd publish all 3. They're different enough, and hopefully hold up on their own.

Steph on Green #1 by Rick0r McZany, on Flickr

Steph on Green #2 by Rick0r McZany, on Flickr

Steph on Green #3 by Rick0r McZany, on Flickr

C&C encouraged :)

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

Primo Itch posted:

On a first glance it looked like a dirty fingerprint on the lenses/sensor/film/whatever, and them BAM! spiderweb. I like it, but agree that the light is a little bit distracting.

Maybe crop the right side so the sign is centered? It feels like it should be simmetric but isn't. That will also cut the light on the top right which is a little bit distracting.

Three from London. I think I can see a pattern to them.

Tube Stairs por primoitcho, no Flickr

I can't pinpoint why, but I really like this picture, even considering it's out-of-focus and tilted. I've straightened it but thought that it looks better tilted. Thoughts?

boothlegs por primoitcho, no Flickr

I'm having some trouble with this one...I can't figure if it's aligned or not, since it seens that neither the phone booth, the back building or the side building are level with one another...

Sunny London por primoitcho, no Flickr

I like the colours but not really sure about the crop or if it is an interesting picture at all.

1) My first thoughts were "I want to see it straightened" - but you've mentioned that, so I'll trust your judgement that it looks better on the angle :)
The in-focus red Stop signs, are stealing a bit too much 'eye-time' for my liking. They're drawing my attention away from the rest of the shot, in an (IMO) negative way. Otherwise I like the Out of Focus look of it all :)

2) When I have challenging verticals like that, I normally just go by the most prominent, in this case, I think it's the back building and its windows. A couple of degrees anti-clockwise would fix it IMO. Other than that, I like it.

3) The colours are nice, but not enough to save the shot I don't think. It might sound harsh and I apologise if it does, but I think it belongs in the "not interesting enough to keep" category. I can see what you're going for, but it's just not doing it for me, sorry :)

For me,

Experimenting with close hard light sources in the absence of a real ring-flash, and my younger cousin who's been begging for photos for a while. Not a model by any stretch, but I think it turned out alright.
Yes, I could have photoshopped out the reflections on the glasses, but wanted it as raw as possible. Pretty much SOOC. Maybe I'm not ready for SOOC :)

Kass B&W by Rick0r McZany, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

Oprah Haza posted:

1. You can pop out the glass from the frames for better results.

2. Do you mean SOOC as in NO tinkering (crop, curves, etc.) or just no touchups?

Holy crap, I never thought about popping the glass out. Thanks for that tip! I'll have to try it next time.

And I meant "pretty much SOOC" to mean "convert to B&W, curves, done." So, minimal tinkering :)