Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

escape artist posted:

Comedy Central Half-Hour lineup for 2014:

· Chris Distefano

My dumb brain interpreted this as being Mike DeStefano and now I'm sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Just found out Stanhope is coming to Arkansas in April! Definitely going, but I'm trying to decide where to see him. I could see him 15min from home at a bar that I don't like much at all or I could drive ~4hrs and see him at a way cooler venue AND support a few of my friends (they're the ones putting the event together).

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

urk the quack posted:

Not a fan on Juanita's? Don't blame you.

I'd take the trip, just for the hell of heading out of the state.

Haha, fellow LR goon? We considered Memphis, but I've done a couple comedy shows with some of the guys hosting the Fayetteville show (plus, I have family there we could stay with) and I'd like to show them some love.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

escape artist posted:

Also, I agree with the poster who said the Chris Distefano thing made me sad. There's a Kickstarter for for a Mike DiStefano documentary, but it's got 50 days and like $500 of its $75k goal. :(

That's was me. And that makes me even more sad. After posting that the other day, I listened through his album, OK Karma. One of the stories he told on The Moth, Franny's Last Ride, was my introduction to The Moth and, holy poo poo, what a crushingly good love story.

Edit: \/\/ no worries, bud

XIII fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 21, 2014

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

escape artist posted:

*sigh*

Rest in peace, John Pinette.

Prescription drugs take another.

Just saw that on Twitter. Sad stuff.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Jim Gaffigan's new special, Obsessed, debuts tonight on Comedy Central at 9pm (so, in twenty minutes) for those of you that like him. I'll probably wait til the cd is out and just listen to it.

Also, I saw Doug Stanhope last night. Had a blast.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Ror posted:

He's not as well-known in the US, but Tim Vine definitely comes to mind.

This was the first person I thought of too.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Anyone going to the Highplains Comedy Festival? I really want to buy a weekend pass, but, since moving to Denver, I'm still searching for a job and can't really justify spending $80. Still, I'll catch a handful of shows.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

The Berzerker posted:

There's a lovely thread in GBS about it, but in case you don't go to GBS and don't look at like... any other media, Robin Williams was found dead today of an apparent suicide by asphyxiation. His PR person said he was really struggling with his bipolar disorder as of late so it likely is related to that.

:(

Really sucks.

Yeah, my mom called to see if I'd heard about this and now I'm reading Twitter and trying not to cry. I don't know why this hit me so hard, but it did.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Anybody attend Kyle Kinane's special taping recently?

Not me, but he'll be here in Denver in early September (week after Tom Segura, which is the week after the High Plains Comedy Fest). Gonna be a good few weeks.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Since his name comes up in these forums a lot, I highly recommend the latest episode of Industry Standard with Comedy Central head honcho Kent Alterman. I also recommend that podcast in general just to hear stories from the (often well-deserved) much maligned non-creatives in Hollywood: Executives, producers, and 10 percenters.

The only episode I've listened to was the one with Maron, but it was good enough that I'm going to keep listening to the podcast.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Speaking of the Comedy Store, this week's episode of Pauly Shore's Interested is a good spot to jump on the bandwagon. He interviews Lenny Bruce's daughter and then does commentary on the interview with Marc Maron. I mentioned this in the comedy podcast thread, but it's surprisingly good even though Pauly is pretty hit or miss with his interviews.

I was looking forward to this episode after hearing Pauly and Marc talk about it on the Dave Ross episode of WTF and I wasn't let down. That said, I'm not sure I'd listen to many more episodes. I'm not going to unsubscribe or anything, but I just don't see it becoming a regular listen for me.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the Carrot Top/Larry the Cable Guy one! I wanted to listen to that one as well. Thanks!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Web Jew.0 posted:

Apologies in advance if there's a more appropriate thread for this but I'm an amateur based in Hong Kong, only 20 months deep, and I want to share my best set ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmFiiA8xvlQ

It's only 8 minutes and I'd appreciate you taking a look. Tia.

Link doesn't work. Says it's a duplicate video.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, she was on a couple of the shows I ran for a comedy festival last year and she's SUPER loving nice.

Edit: I will say that I don't always love her sets on Put Your Hands Together, but I understand that's she uses it to work through a lot of new material and I respect the shut out of how much work she puts into it.

XIII fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 11, 2015

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I'm not a fan of Gabriel Iglesias' comedy, but I've got nothing against the guy. He's managed to make a killer living by catering to the masses with middle of the road (topic wise) comedy. He isn't "pushing the boundaries of comedy" or "making biting social commentary" or whatever the gently caress, but he's not claiming to. Dude just tells jokes about being fat and makes a few million a year. I respect that hustle. Plus, from everything I've ever heard about him, he's apparently the nicest loving dude ever and takes care of the people around him.

All of that said, one of the guys that opens for him fairly often, Rick Gutierrez, is a massive oval office whose ego is through the roof simply because he's friends with Gabriel. Seriously, gently caress that guy.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Plus, stand-up "fame" is a fleeting thing, so it makes sense to fill as many Scrooge McDuck style vaults with stacks of cash as you can before people stop buying tickets to see you.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

That Bo Burnham special is goddamn fantastic. I've always been fairly in the middle about him (respected his talent, but just didn't love his work), but that immediately made me a fan. Exact same thing for my girlfriend. But, I had a friend who turned it off ten minutes in because he couldn't put aside his preconceived notion and felt like Bo was "too much of a bro", which I think shows just how poor his understanding of him is. Watch what..

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I haven't seen the new CK (I've downloaded it, just haven't gotten around to watching it), so I might come back and change my tune, but I support a comedian who gets massively famous doing a thing and decides to completely switch gears and do something different (be it a throwback to his/her older style or a totally new one).

He's adopted the Carlin model of "a special a year". Like Carlin, they aren't all going to be winners, but he's pushing himself as a comic and, in my book, that alone deserves respect.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I can blame multiple comics that I've personally met who have been touring the same hour for, at least, five years.

I think the "hour a year" mentality really thrives in areas where things like the Edinburgh Fringe are the norm.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Ror posted:

God loving drat it, Harris Wittels OD'd on heroin and died.

Fuuuuuuuuck. His recent YMIW was a great episode and had me rooting for him

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Caught Hannibal on Monday and Rob Delaney on Saturday. Hannibal crushed it and I would highly recommend seeing him if you get the chance. Delaney was good. I've never loved his standup, but I got free tickets. I will say that I liked what he did that night a lot more than his last special (Live at the Beacon?) and, overall, would say he's worth seeing.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I've had a solid couple weeks, stand-up wise. Saw Segura last week and Kinane twice the week before that. Both were absolutely killer. Kinane did largely different material each night and you could tell he was still working out the stuff that didn't overlap, but it was all great. Segura told the Mike Tyson and Bruce Bruce stories.

Also, I've got tickets to see Maron in July and I'm considering seeing Eddie Izzard later this month.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I saw Aparna a few months back and wasn't terribly impressed. She was headlining a showcase, but her material felt half finished. That said, I'd give her album a spin to see if it changed my mind.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

HEY NONG MAN posted:

FYI Todd Barry's Crowd Work Tour special is streaming on Netflix now.

Not for me it isn't. Dave Attell's new one is though and it's really good.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I'm in the US. Searching for Todd Barry only gets me Louie as a result

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

jodai posted:

Demitri Martin has a new special on Netflix. I'm probably going to watch it but his last one was kinda hit and miss.

It's okay. Not his best (and he repeats a few bits from earlier specials), but worth the watch.

In other news, this week I will be seeing and working with a bunch of great comics, including Matt Braunger, Ron Funches, Brody Stevens, Sean Patton, Rory Scovel, and Anthony Jeselnik.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, it should be a great time. Last year I got to hang out with Pete Holmes, Kumail Nanjiani, and a bunch of other great comics. Of the group, Chris Fairbanks stood out. Dude was SUPER nice. He also got in some dude's face when he saw the him repeatedly being a total creep to some girl who was clearly not into it. A+ guy.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I love Benson's podcasts but his stand-up is low effort as gently caress.

The opposite of low effort is the new Jeselnik on Netflix. First 40 minutes is great made-up dark one liners as usual, but the last 20 minutes he does material on real life stuff that's happened to him lately: death threats, being forced to delete a tweet because CC was going to pull his show, etc. Sums up how he views his job as a comedian during tragedy. Still a lot of career left, but the last 20 mins is what people should YouTube of him when he kicks the bucket.

I agree with both of these points. Honestly, Doug Benson is the worst part of his projects. I really enjoy Doug Loves Movies but it's 100% because of the guests. I remember an episode where he yelled at the crowd for not responding "this is Doug Loves Movies" loud enough, threatening to stop doing the show if they didn't start bringing people. What a crybaby.

New Jeselnik is loving killer and makes me want to go back and listen to his first two albums, despite having listened to them both (for the Nth time) within the last few months.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Burr rules. Jeselnik rules. Comedy rules.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I've seen Kinane four times in the last 16ish months and each time has been a different show. One wasn't long before he recorded this latest special and there was very little of the material I saw on the special. Two of them were back to back nights, so there was a little overlap, but barely. And all four of them were loving killer.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Alright, team, I need a hand finding a clip. I'm trying to find a clip of a comic reading texts between him, while drunk, and his wife. I think it's from a late night show. I would have sworn it was Nate Bargatze, but that doesn't seem to be right.

EDIT: hooray, I'm not totally crazy
http://teamcoco.com/video/nate-bargatze-standup

XIII fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 10, 2015

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Ceramics posted:

New Mulaney special is so loving good

Came to say this. Definitely his strongest special, and that's saying something.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Apoplexy posted:

Good timing by Jeselnik again, he tweeted today that, SPEAKING OF TRAGEDIES, you should check out Mulaney's new special. loving love that guy.

Saw that. Such a good tweet.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I wasn't blown away by it either, but I watched all six episodes and gave it five stars. It's okay, but I think it needs some time to find its voice a bit more. I also have a hard time buying into the father character because I can only picture Bill Burr.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, I watched it all straight through and it definitely got better as it went.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

New Tom Segura special is hitting Netflix this Friday. I'm looking forward to it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Illinois Smith posted:

Really liked the PYHT anniversary show / post-wedding ep. Really strong line-up (holy poo poo, new Kyle Kinane stuff out of nowhere? Yes please) and Cameron & Rhea at their gushiest and giggliest were super adorable while still funny.

Really dug this episode (although I skipped through 98% of the Cameron and Rhea banter, like I always do). Kinane's bit about IKEA is actually pretty old. It's either from his first special (2010) or his Comedy Central Presents (2011). I recently found out about the split EP he did with a punk band. It's only one story, but it's definitely worth a listen.

https://radgirlfriendrecords.bandcamp.com/album/kyle-kinane-the-slow-death-split-7

EDIT: The new Tom Segura special is pretty good. Of his four specials, I think it might be my least favorite, but that's mainly because I like his others so much.

XIII fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 8, 2016

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Unrelated: Tony Hinchcliffe's Netflix special was pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I say "Big rear end H" a lot since seeing Comeback Kid