Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Just watched Louis CK's newest special and I felt bad that I didn't give him more money. I might rebuy it another time just to feel better. That was absolutely phenomenal.

I also love that he continues to completely black out the audience. I really hate when comedy specials cut to some ugly nobody in a crowd mouthing "oh my god". When the comic is interacting with the crowd I completely understand, but more often than not I just want to watch the comedian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I was wondering when this was gonna show up in the thread.

Totally on Patton's side here, and was even when Barbara Gray made him sound like a frothing ogre. I can't loving stand people that instinctively whip out phones in comedy clubs, and who defend this behavior with "Im helping them go viral" and other such garbage. Comedians who WANT their material posted on YouTube can do it themselves. They can bring a friend to record their act at a good angle (instead of a shakey, blurry recording from a dozen rows back), or ask someone who works at the place to do it for them. It's common courtesy to not record stuff.

Along those lines, I saw some jackoff replying to Patton about fair use and public performances and how if there wasn't a "no filming" sign then she could legally blah blah blah. THESE are the people who tend to engage in this behavior: people who have to spend 10 minutes citing legal precedents to justify what they do. Genuine, grade-a pieces of garbage.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

FitFortDanga posted:

Dave Anthony created this brilliant thing
This is loving incredible.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Sporadic posted:

I'll never understand why comedians get so mad when they find out somebody is filming them as they perform. Doug Stanhope is another one who rants about that whenever he is given a chance.
Be honest, you DO understand, because it's incredibly obvious and you're an intelligent person. You just don't like it.

Sporadic posted:

Agreed but, on the flipside, if you are performing in public, you should try to not lose your poo poo if you notice somebody is recording you.

Would we have even heard of this if Patton just called for security and had the lady removed?
Depends on if the self-righteous, passive-aggressive woman who wrote the blog would find that objectionable.

And why shouldn't comics lose their poo poo? Maybe if more people were shamed and embarassed at these places, they won't pull that kind of crap anymore. Especially when the jeers and boos of the audience are directed at said individual. These people aren't likely to wake up one day and decide "I should no longer record people by default!" on their own.

There's nothing EXPLICITLY saying these people cannot record stuff in a public space. You're right. That doesn't mean that it's totally cool to do BY DEFAULT. Obviously, people are going to record stuff on their phones, but you need to think about WHY these people record. Are they recording to share material that isn't final yet? That's a wrong thing to do, especially if they're so-called "fans". Are they doing it to have a personal copy for themselves of stuff that isn't out yet? Less harmful, but still not morally clean. Are they doing it as proof they were at an event with someone famous? Well, it's not like people would doubt that Patton Oswalt was found in a comedy club. On top of all that, above all, it's incredibly obnoxious, obvious, and distracting, for both the performer AND people in the crowd. Sorry if you think comedians should "get over it", but I say "gently caress these people" because THEIR lovely giant phones are blocking my view of something happening in REAL LIFE.

Again, people are going to record stuff, that's a fact. However, there's a big difference in context and intent between someone whipping out their cameraphone on the streets of LA because Gary Oldman is drinking coffee on the corner, and recording in-progress material at a show Patton was doing for free, spontaneously, for fans.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 8, 2012

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Sporadic posted:

And I had no idea that he was performing at a restaurant. If the idea of somebody recording him while he's working on new material bothers him that much, why would he work a venue without security?
Because it was an unannounced, spontaneous, free show. And things like this are going to make a lot of comics, going forward, really reconsider doing stuff like this. People want to record stuff instead of experiencing it and walking away with memories in their head instead of on a shaky, lovely camera? Well then the whole class doesn't get to go out to recess because of them.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Sporadic posted:

If Patton wants to take his ball home over this then gently caress him. Let him stick to screenwriting or acting. Other comedians already a) begrudgingly accept that it will happen or b) don't give a poo poo.
Do you even listen to yourself? Other comedians do NOT just do one or the other. You mentioned how Stanhope does this only a couple posts ago! So you're contradicting yourself.

As for me, I hope he continues to do these things, and continues to berate these useless assholes that record material in progress. I'll continue to applaud these actions and enjoy their sets, since what they contribute to the arts is so much more worthwhile and interesting than what these wannabe-documentarians do. I hope other comedians continue to do it too.

If anything, this has encouraged me moreso to see Patton live, because the real fans are now aware of this incident, and will come down harder on any assholes who try this. Maybe that means I can see a show without some shitbag holding his giant 4G phone in my line of sight.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jan 8, 2012

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

jyrka posted:

So a comedian threw a hissy fit.

jyrka posted:

Completely melting down over people recording your show is probably the hackiest bit going right now.

2 pages, 2 posts, 0 substance.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Peter North posted:

Who's 'we'? Because at large, we definitely don't.
This. Be intellectually honest and say "you" think it, and see who comes out to agree. Don't invent some invisible majority just so you're more comfortable saying something largely unpopular.

And the Dane Cook rant seems like something that's only worse because it lacks the context of being there. It probably was still as stupid and unfunny in real life as it was to read (maybe even moreso), but I feel like in person it would have come more from a desparate flailing attempt to reinvent himself and his career than an angry comic just having to "get all that out".

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 21, 2012

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

inferis posted:

Does anyone else also not like this thing that is popular?
That's not what he asked and you know it.

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

I know she's been around forever and I somewhat recall her talking about being Korean all the time in the 90's, but if anyone here is more familiar with her work, I have to ask: was she always this bad? Has she ever made you laugh?
Her 90's stuff was much better, but that's because she was one of the most prominent Asian comics at the time and she had to try harder to stay at the top. Even though her act entirely boiled down to impressions of her mother and a couple hackneyed "white people dont understand ____________ about Asians" jokes, I remember laughing at some of her earlier specials.

As for how she is now, yeah it seems like she's just pandering with an easy set. She outed herself as bisexual around 2000 or so, and since then figured out she could make a ton of cash and build up an extremely loyal fanbase by playing to the LGBT crowd. As far as the reaction you heard, that seems pretty par for the course from my experience. I've never heard an LGBT crowd express any kind of disapproval or ambivalence towards an LGBT-aimed act. Everything seems like the funniest thing they've ever heard, and the laughs are like a Carlin set from the late 70's.

Then again, I can see why her act is so lazy. If you were guaranteed to get huge laughs no matter what you say, would you really go to the ends of the Earth to make sure your act was solid?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Bobby Malone posted:

So you don't have a problem with gay people, but you:

Go out of your way to talk poo poo about them?
Rewatched the special in order to document how much it did not fit your personal definition of good comedy?
Consider the tastes of gay people as a culture inferior to yours?

I'd love to hear your opinions of Def Comedy Jam, can you make some charts about how many times they say 'friend of the family' and the frequency of them doing a goofy white person voice?

Unless I'm misinterpreting this:

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

The crowd went loving BUCK. WILD. though because the whole act is built on pandering to gay people.
I have no problem with any of these topics as I'm amongst those who she's attempting to pander to
I think he's gay. Now re-read your post and see how stupid what you just said is. Then, try contributing a real post to the conversation instead of a hollow accusation of homophobia.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 10, 2012

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Jim Gaffigan has been inspired by Louis CK to release his upcoming special exclusively on his website as a $5 download, with 1 dollar from each sale going to a charity serving wounded Veterans.
http://www.whosay.com/jimgaffigan/content/218011?code=cjN1qtN

Jim Gaffigan posted:

Dear Internet Friends,

Inspired by the brilliant Louis CK, I have decided to debut my all-new hour stand-up special on my website, Jimgaffigan.com.

Beginning sometime in April, “Jim Gaffigan: Mr. Universe” will be available exclusively for download for only $5. A dollar from each download will go directly to The Bob Woodruff Foundation; a charity dedicated to serving injured
Veterans and their families.

I am confident that the low price of my new comedy special and the fact that 20% of each $5 download will be donated to this very noble cause will prevent people from stealing it. Maybe I’m being naïve, but I trust you guys. Besides who would want the karma of stealing money from wounded Veterans? Come on you guys. How dare you even think about it?

I know I am taking a risk here. People I respect have advised me to take the safer, more traditional route with the premiere of the special. However, I am incredibly motivated by the courage of Louie to offer his fans direct access for a low price. Buyers of my special can be assured that their money will go directly to feeding and raising my four children instead of a giant corporation. I will self-produce a high quality special with all new material that will be incredibly easy to download and then you will own it. Forever. For $5. Roughly the price of five packs of Ramen Noodles. And believe me my special is going to be much better than five packs of disgusting Ramen Noodles. Gross.

Not going with a big corporation means I wont have any advertising. There will be no bells and whistles or billboards but maybe you can help. If you like the special, tell you friends to download it too. That’s the best kind of advertising anyway.

I must admit that I have not felt this excited and nervous since I first tried stand up over 100 years ago. It’s humbling to take a risk that you are not sure will work. You don't know if a joke will bomb unless you try it.

If no one buys the special or if lots of people steal it then I suppose I will lose a lot of money and have egg on my face. But then again I have four kids so I am always losing money and usually have egg or some kind of food on my face so it might just feel normal.

Let me know what you think.

Your Best Friend,

Jim

This is awesome, and I can't wait to buy it.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I WANT to understand what he's talking about but he gives no solid examples or scenarios, so I can't be totally sure who he's directing this at. He also namedrops David Cross but most people today would consider his act something that the alternative and hipster crowd is drawn to. Does that inadvertedly make David Cross the target of this rant? Who knows, because he didn't say one solid point. That was a lot of loose rambling that sounded like the kind of thing you think up at 3 in the morning and go "oh poo poo, Im gonna write this down and go into this deeper tomorrow", then you wake up and half forget what you were talking about.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Law Cheetah posted:

He's saying alternative comedy rooms are too safe of a space and that alternative comedians dont build up the skillset that club comics do. He complains that alternative comedians just blame it on the crowd when they bomb in mainstream rooms. He also complains that alternative comedians think club comics are a bunch of hacks. He goes on to say that that grandaddies of the Alt Comic movement, such as David Cross, were and are beastly club comics in their own right who would kill in mainstream rooms.

Rub the sleep outta yer eyes before you listen to youtubes
But early on he was also complaining about the people who these comics are catering to. He was bitching about pretty much everything revolving around alternative comedy.

As far as him saying all alternative comics think club comics are hacks, that may be a prevailing sentiment, but there there ARE hacks across all genres of standup. A mediocre club comic who gets by with some chuckles from saying "oval office" a lot doesn't make them any funnier than a mediocre alternative comic.

In general, this was kind of an "old man ranting" clip, which Burr is usually well above. He's usually really great at recounting specific stories and incidents which help prove whatever he's saying (in his act on when sitting in on radio shows). This was just a lot of "gently caress this, gently caress that, half name drops one guy who is kind of an rear end but doesnt really have much to do with what was being said previously".

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Bubba Smith posted:

You're missing part of his argument. He's saying that when alternative comics bomb in front of an audience that isn't their base, they blame the audience for being dumb instead of their material for not being very good.
If I can reverse that for the sake of argument, who does Bill blame if he works a crowd full of parents and "wholesome" people and gets nothing but disgusted stares? Who does a liberal political comedian blame if their set goes over poorly in a conservative town? SURELY they blame themselves for their material not being very good, right? Wrong.

Again, his argument would be a lot more meaningful if he also didn't lump the audience of alt comics into the target of his complaints. Being a comic who doesn't like what a certain kind of comic acts like is fine, but lumping the people who do enjoy it into his rant makes him sound like a condescending prick. It's no different to me than if I heard an alternative comic deriding club comics for their act revolving around saying poo poo/piss/aids/oval office as the punchline to every joke, and also noting they think people who enjoy that are terrible.

It all goes back into this juvenile "turf war" mentality bullshit a lot of East Coast comedians seem to have. It's apt that he made the comparison to hair metal in the 80's, because Burr is sounding a lot like a musician who is at the tail end of their popularity cycle and hates the way tastes are changing. Nobody's threatening his place in the comedy world, but he's so insecure and angry about a bunch of nothing.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 30, 2012

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

The hair metal analogy is stupid because weird alternative comedy has been around forever and will always be around as long as there are people with a weird sense of humor.
Spot on. Like I said before, Burr's mentality is not a response to anything really new, it's just another part of this awful "comedian turf war" bullshit that's been going on for years, where some comedians view their form of comedy as an underdog against a rising tide of something else. Burr was trying to be a little diplomatic with his "and I actually LIKE the following alt comics" thing compared to those comments where Stanhope was just pissing and moaning, but it's ultimately the same thing.

I genuinely feel a lot of this sentiment comes from a lot of older "club comics" being bitter and frustrated that they missed their chance to hit it big. They're going to continue killing everywhere they go, but they're past the age of being hired as a writer or given their own show. They realize that what they're doing now is going to be what they're doing till the day they die, and it kills them. Meanwhile, so many of the alt comics end up getting sitcom deals, writing deals, getting huge gigs because their videos go viral on YouTube. Then again, I've heard many huge comedians say they've intentionally turned down big deals and refuse to "sell out", but then they end up complaining regardless.

It's not to say I don't understand why they're so bitter, I do, and I'd feel the same way in their position. But it's a lot easier to listen to something if a comic says "I'm pissed off and here's why" rather than disguising it as some brilliant dissection of the current status of an art form.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I really, truly, genuinely wish anyone else had reported on it. That woman somehow reports on all matters of comedians despite not having a single funny bone in her body. I'm not saying that necessarily makes her wrong on the matter either (although she neglects to update the story to reflect that Tosh apologized via twitter, which was unexpected by pretty much everyone and might undermine the point of her article), but she feels the need to weigh in on all matters of stand up comedians despite not having ever once shown to have any expertise or perspective in the field of stand-up comedy. I mean, for fucks sake, she wrote that hecklers were "a legitimate part of comedy performances" (she since crossed that out after people pointed out how mindbogglingly stupid of a statement it was, but it highlights how she has no actual, real-world perspective on standup).

Oh also, she thinks that Louis CK supports his rape joke because he tweeted to Daniel that he thinks Tosh.0 is funny. She does this while ignoring the other story that Doug Stanhope literally supports his rape joke.

In short, it's hard to say she's wrong, but gently caress Alyssa Rosenberg nonetheless.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 11, 2012

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Maarak posted:

She doesn't need to be right for Tosh's actions to be wrong.
Re-read my post, quick draw. I said "I'm not saying that necessarily makes her wrong on the matter either". Did you miss that part?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

quadrophrenic posted:

So.... Tosh.0 is probably gonna get canceled, huh
There is no chance in hell of this happening. I mean, he apologized before his episode last night even aired. He didn't release a press statement through comedy central, he didn't have a publicist handle it, HE apologized. Unfunny piece of poo poo or not, it makes everyone still calling for his head start to look unreasonable.

And before anyone jumps down my throat saying "how dare you say that defending rape victims is unreasonable", look at the broad picture. How does someone not look like a never-satisfied "complainer" when a guy apologized quickly and of his own volition with the only "coverage" being a tumblr post and a think progress blog post? They can't claim it was media pressure, they can't claim it was his bosses coming down on him doing damage control. Face it, this is an extremely clean apology pr-wise, and further attacks will only serve to hurt the anti-rape-culture crowd image from this point on, Accept the apology and move on until or unless he fucks up again.

Salmon, the Wise Fish posted:

I just got pointed to this thread because I dared to say rape jokes were bad in the TVIV thread.
Maybe im reading your statement far too literally, but stop being so loving melodramatic. I pointed you to this thread because the level of discourse here is usually far higher than the bros high-fiving each other while live posting about how funny a video of balls was. I thought if you honestly wanted to partake in a genuine discussion about the subject, this thread would serve you far better than fighting an echo chamber. If I was wrong, feel free to leave, but I did not point you here "because you dared" to do anything.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 11, 2012

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

antavila posted:

There's a small update to the story: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/10/daniel-tosh-rape-joke-laugh-factory_n_1662882.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment&ir=Entertainment

Though the owner of the Laugh Factory "didn't really hear it properly," it seems that Tosh's joke may have been slightly different, and the women didn't leave until AFTER the show was done and not right away as she said in the blog.
IF (if!) this is true, it really makes her and all of her supporters look bad. I mean, why change what was said to be even worse? Just to get MORE sympathy/outrage? That undermines your entire message and movement, and kills all your credibility. If you think something was outrageous and offensive, tell the story and let others agree or disagree, don't make poo poo up just to sound better. For gods sake, that sounds like the idea that women routinely lie about rape, which is so prevalent among males today.

Edit: Also I really hope all these people saying they're no longer fans of Patton, Louis, etc actually stick to their words and stop seeing them in person so I can have a better shot at getting tickets. Oh and also because it means they're not just a bunch of disingenuous e-commenters who never follow through on their internet threats.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 12, 2012

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

Well you seem to be an idiot, then.
:effort: Don't do this. Don't post a one line insult and leave it at that. At the very least elaborate WHY you think he's an idiot so he and other posters have something to keep the discussion going with, instead of having to deal with the brake slamming of a post you just made. Otherwise you may as well just PM him "gently caress you" and let that be that.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

Thinking that rape jokes aren't ok, much like thinking what Michael Richards did wasn't ok, isn't equivalent to advocating censorship. A few people may do both, but one doesn't entail the other. This isn't a discussion about freedom of speech and the suppression of art because I haven't seen a single person advocate for a constitutional amendment barring bits that include rape from comedy clubs. That really shouldn't need to be explained, and even though I'm now doing so, guaranteed he still won't comprehend this basic fact.
Still, the fact you put actual sentences that people can look at and respond to is a lot better than something that amounts to a public pm. In discussions like these, there's no such things as "things that shouldn't need to be explained". It shouldn't need to be explained that you don't talk or film poo poo during a set and yet that was a huge thing just a few months ago.

Edit: Whoops, realized my quick googling resulted in me linking to the response article by Dave Anthony. Oh well, it was a funny read anyway.

I also still feel that, I don't care how offended a human being is, both the comedian and the audience flat out don't give a poo poo and don't want them disrupting a set for it. Take the disgust and leave. By all means, they can blog about it as their chosen outlet of outrage, but it's disruptive to literally everyone else in the room. If the joke or topic is that bad that many people feel this way, it'll bomb and the comedian will just fail on his own. But there's really no excuse for causing a scene. It's not going to change anyone's mind in the room. If anything, it'll make people hate the heckler and their opinions further, whereas before maybe over time as some members of the audience reflect on it they might realize what a hosed up thing they were laughing at. Anything's possible.

I'm tired of this idea that everyone's opinions need to be heard at all times in all venues. No they loving don't. If you don't like a movie, leave. Don't make a loving scene yelling about how lovely it is. If you don't enjoy a comedian or they offend you, just go. Heckling has been around for decades, but I think it's been bolstered by people thinking their opinions are worth more due to social media's rise in popularity. Unless the ticket you pay for says anything about a Q&A or open discussion, no matter how vile or offensively unfunny it gets, shut the gently caress up or leave. Anything else is a violation of the social contract that most people abide by.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 12, 2012

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

This is simply inaccurate. If you've never seen an audience go from nervous laughter/silence to chasing an act off stage cause one person spoke up, I don't know what to tell you. This obviously wasn't one of those cases.
You're right. I haven't. I've seen people BOOED off because they do a bad joke and as they try and salvage it (or alternatively, get hostile at the audience) it snowballs into the audience telling them to go screw, but nothing like the spartacus scenario you're describing where one **brave soldier** dares to say something isn't right. Comments like what Tosh allegedly said is taking it a bit too far for me, but everyone has their own metric of what offends them, and it's far better for me to just think everyone should either shut up or leave than for people to stand up and start poo poo as soon as THEY get offended. That just has so many more problems than "just demand a refund and leave". Taking stuff up with management has far more implications than telling a comic you hate what they're saying anyway. But that's not what they're after. They're after the attention of it all.

As far as your bringing up of Michael Richards, the BIG difference you're failing to recognize between that incident and the Daniel Tosh incident is the amount of evidence involved. Everyone had irrefutable proof of what Richards said. What irrefutable proof does anyone have for what went down at Tosh's set? The chick says one thing, Tosh says his comments were "taken out of context and misquoted", the club owner is saying something entirely different was said... it's ALL hearsay. All we know is that Daniel said SOMETHING about rape in the form of a joke. That's why it's been far easier for comedians to come to his defense and give him post-apology support (emphasis on the "post-apology" part, which a lot of people are STILL acting like it didn't happen or may as well not have happened). If you can't see the difference, I don't know what to tell YOU.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 12, 2012

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

Richards' saying "50 years ago" isn't really comparable to Tosh's "what if, right now" in terms of how threatening they are imo, but for the sake of argument, I'll just accept that they are. That still doesn't explain why nobody cared enough to speak out for Richards while they do about Tosh. The two scenarios have a lot of similarities and nobody can really articulate why one is worth defending to this level and one isn't.
Because watching Richards do his thing, it wasn't just offensive, it was a man losing his mind. Tosh tried for a "wouldn't it be ironic if..." retort that ended up becoming more offensive than what he probably was talking about in the first place. The thing is, he was trying to roll with it in his own lovely way.

So if you want a difference, there's another one. Both said something heinous. Both apologized. But one said something heinous while in the midst of basically having a screaming meltdown, while the other tried to make it a part of his act. Massive failure on the latter's part or not, fellow comedians (especially ones that have had to deal with awful hecklers) will NEVER trash a comic for trying to deal with a heckler if ultimately he was TRYING for humor. It may be horribly offensive and unfunny humor, but it's hard to make the case for the alternative, that he was making a serious and literal threat against the woman.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
To briefly derail this discussion, for anyone in San Diego who didn't attend the Patton Oswalt show, you missed a hell of a gig. The opener was an SNL writer and Onion contributor named Mike Drucker who absolutely killed, and he was followed up with surprise guests (I guess not really when you remember it's Patton, but whatever) Brian Posehn and Doug Benson, who did some phenomenal sets as well. And then Patton got up and did close to 90 minutes of new material that all landed solidly on its feet, not one dud at all. It was an absolutely flawless show, and the perfect thing to have in this city right in the middle of the insanity that is Comic Con.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

escape artist posted:

I just wonder-- do you think in 20 years we'll look back on Louis CK and Daniel Tosh and whomever else, and think the same thing we do about Eddie Murphy now?
I don't think so, because regardless of what's being said or done, most people judge comics on an individual basis. Their acts, while involving similar subject matter, couldn't be more different in how it plays out. For example, both Louis CK and Chris Rock do bits involving charged words like "friend of the family", but I think it's hard to argue they're doing the same act. So, really, it comes down to not just the content but how that content is disseminated. With that said, I think it's quite possible for people in the future to finally wise up to people like Tosh using it exploitatively and react as such, while at the same time not trying to crucify Louis.

And not to demean Jezebel or Salon for this specifically, but truthfully the internet has a way of magnifying a thought or idea of a movement to appear as if it's widely-reaching offline, when in reality most of this stuff is never really brought up or addressed face to face when not on a computer. That's why a good chunk of articles dealing with the subject usually involve the writer hearing something, being shocked that they heard it, and then cutting to them writing about it on the internet. While a writer can certainly spread their ideas to more people using articles and social media, it has hardly ever translated into any tangible, real-life results as far as these subjects go.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I was at the special taping, and saw him in the same theater the year before when much of that material was being worked on. I vastly preferred how he delivered it when he was working on it. It was almost the exact same stuff, but delivered in a way which was more "classic Patton". For example, when talking about committing suicide to Toto in the grocery store, he diverged onto a really funny tangent about how insane the concept of a grocery store in the middle of a day is, for like 5 minutes, but in his final version it was boiled down to his one "shopping like a crazed Roman emperor" joke. His newer style seems to be focusing more on doing long anecdotes with a punchline, and it's not as good as what he's been known for.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Edit: never mind, was reading it wrong, I'm a dummy

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 11, 2015

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

SpacePig posted:

I'm reading it as "I don't give two fucks [what they talk about] [so long as] the person's material is funny."

Yeah it just clicked for me now, don't know why my brain didn't figure that out the first so many times. I thought it was a "standup is fascinating whether it makes me laugh or not" position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Mst3kmann posted:

Well, looks like Patton Oswalt decided to be a vindictive prick on Twitter once again.

Oh I bet this is good, he's always-

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Somebody gave him poo poo over a transphobic joke on Veep. He pointed out he didn't write the joke, and that his character is supposed to be a dickhead. Somebody asked him why bother to address a concern from somebody with so few followers, and accused him of attention seeking, he basically told the guy he was an rear end in a top hat. It should be noted that both him and the initial questioner seemed to be fine with one another by the end of the discussion. It was just the one guy who was still salty. I don't think he came off vindictive. Defensive, maybe.

Oh, way more reasonable than initially stated. Now it makes sense why no context was given.

Yeah reading it, looks like the third party got upset because the whole time Patton was replying to the convo, he was adding periods before the first name so his followers could easily follow along with the point he was making. Third person got upset that because their name was part of the convo (at their own choosing to butt in) and that people were tweeting their opinions about unnecessarily starting crap on behalf of someone else. But that's twitter, everyone has an opinion until other people do too, then it's an assault, or something.

In any case, it's insanely childish to assume an actor reading lines deserves to bear the brunt of accounting for an offensive joke. If that's the case, people should be protesting outside Danny DeVito's house for the horrible stuff he says as Frank Reynolds.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 4, 2015