Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I think Tosh is actually incredibly talented and original. Nothing like Dane Cook at all.

I mean, I can understand why you wouldn't like him, but that's unfair. Dane Cook is a joke, and a joke thief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
If you haven't seen his stand-up, you should. It's way, way better than his Tosh.0 show. I only watch Tosh.0 when I'm drunk and there is literally nothing else to do.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Fair enough. I've only seen him on Tosh.0, so it's possible his stand-up is better than I thought. I'm inclined to dislike him because of his public persona, though.

I was absolutely the same way. First time I saw him was when he did a radio show in 2007 or 2008, and I thought "man this guy is a full-of-himself douche bag." Eventually, I realized it was part of his act. One time he did stand-up at my college, his alma mater, and trashed it and the student body... which naturally made me like him a lot more. He hasn't been invited back :lol: I wish I had gone to that show because it was probably the last show he did in this town that I could afford.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Kristen Schaal's special was the poo poo. Highly recommended if you like absurdist comedy.

I thought the first half was brilliant, but the stage fright bit was so long, and the switch in tone from really good humor to anti-humor was jarring, to the point that it didn't work.

The part with the girl from the audience doing comedy was great, but it was book-ended by terrible. I was really excited and then really sad-- I've been waiting for a Kristen Schaal special for 5 years.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

You lucked out unless you wanted to watch a bad sitcom for 5 hours instead of 22 minutes. That's pretty loving crazy about the cabbie story though. I obviously don't know anything about the situation or Steve personally, but I feel like you have to be a pretty huge dick to get a cabbie to punch you in the face. Especially if this was in NYC.

http://www.laughspin.com/2013/04/03/report-comedian-steve-byrne-sustains-broken-jaw-sullivan-son-production-halted-for-six-weeks/

Also, a moratorium of the term "anti-comedy" would be great. Just because you don't think Andy Kaufman, Tim & Eric, Monty Python, Kristen/Kurt, or Chris Elliott doing a 30 minute Showtime special about FDR's life isn't funny doesn't mean it's anti-comedy. Anti-pasta, maybe.

It's a different kind of comedy. It's not antithetical to comedy. It's still trying to make people laugh. I don't like Jeff Dunham's style of comedy but it's still comedy. Bad comedy is comedy. Good comedy is comedy. Comedy you like, dislike, detest, love so much you tell all your friends, is comedy.

"Anti-humor" is a subsection of comedy. Neil Hamburger is one of the people who pull it off amazingly. It's not being used as a term "unfunny".

I'm just saying it was the abrupt change in the middle of the show really threw it off. I've seen her do anti-humor well, but it was isolated sketches. It didn't come after 30 minutes of outright hilarity. In fact, if I wasn't able to use the term "anti-humor", I wouldn't have been able to articulate my feelings on the show well enough. She switched styles in the middle of the show. It was abrupt. It didn't work. Especially if you've seen her 2009 special half-hour special where she re-used the "animal needed for the act decided to leave without telling her, and left a note" bit.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
No talk about Louie's new special? I think it might be my favorite thing he has ever released. It was wall to wall brilliant. A great follow up to the disappointing Beacon release last year.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
That bit was loving brilliant!!!

"I have no more fluid in my mouth.... I have to pull a Marco Rubio... please cut."

I don't even like Star Wars (I know... a sin... a venial sin), but I absolutely loved that improv.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Anybody checked out Ari Shaffir's new special? It's on Chill.com for $5.

(Louis C.K. started a revolution!)

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Mob posted:

MY WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFE

This made me laugh so much.

You guys should check out Ari Shaffir's special on Chill.com called Passive Aggressive. It's over an hour and it's only 5 bucks. Oh yeah, it's great.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Ror posted:

Well, it turns out the early shows are sold out on both days, so I guess the question is less relevant for me now. But I've wondered it every time I've bought tickets in the past too.

Patton Oswalt by the way.

When I saw Patton live, I saw the early show (6pm vs 9pm), and it was fantastic. No one was drunk. Everyone was polite. Patton was on top of his game. But I picked the early show because it was a 6 hour drive round-trip to see him.

Also, I'm still heartily recommending Ari Shaffir's new special Passive Aggressive. I was blown away by how good it was.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 23, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Hey escape artist, did you ever do any open mic nights in Orlando? I just replied to your old post in the Florida thread, before noticing you posted it back in March.

Not yet. I have pendulous swings in confidence and crippling stage fright. But I'm going to force myself up there, and as long as I don't poo poo myself on stage I'll feel accomplished.

I'm still polishing my set list, too. I have all the jokes, but they need to be re-re-edited and then woven together.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Popelmon posted:

Bring a big hammer. If you poo poo yourself you can smash it and claim it's a deconstruction of Gallagher or something.
That's pretty funny. Would make for a good sketch.

I'll be fine though. I'm going to take some painkillers because A) I don't want to have to walk up there with my cane, and get pity laughs and B) they constipate you, so I won't poo poo myself. I just wrote an entire new (10 minute) set this morning. I was on a roll, for some reason.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Yay Pudding! posted:

I'm thinking of going to see Joey Diaz and Ari Shaffir next week. Anybody seen these guys live? Tickets are only 22 bucks, but I would have to get a hotel too. If they put on a great show it would be worth it.

I like Joey Diaz but don't know how he is live. Ari Shaffir is a must see. I would absolutely go if I were you.

Also Dan Soder and Nikki Glaser's new Half Hours aired on Comedy Central last night.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

HateTheInternet posted:

Yeah, didn't elaborate that this would be the total cost for two people.

I'm asking because I'm very good at talking myself out of anything, but I might regret it later. Yes, it is a theater show that's part of Just For Laughs so it's heavily advertised and might draw a more mainstream crowd.

That is an amazing lineup and an amazing deal. Some of those people could pull $40 a ticket on their own. You have to go.

Also, Pete Holmes' new hour long special airs tonight at 11pm EDT on Comedy Central!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Yeah, Benson's nearly 50.

Also, what stand-up should I check out on Netflix while I have the month trial? Obviously I've seen all of Louie's stuff, Stanhope's stuff, Tosh's stuff. I've seen all of Aziz's stuff too. Everything by any and all of the Comedians of Comedy.

First thing I watched on there was Moshe Kasher Live in Oakland. I definitely want to check out Brian Posehn's stand-up from last year. The work he did between Nerd Rage and The Fartist was really iffy, so I'm curious to see if he's returned to form with The Fartist.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
All these are great suggestions. You know I like sketch/podcast/improv/stand-up, whatever. I already have the Mike Birbiglia film. And I bought Live at the Purple Onion like 6 years ago.

poo poo, just found a Todd Glass special on there.

Also, I love Bobcat so I want to see that special.

John Oliver's stand-up show and Benson Interruption are both gone :(

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Browsing Netflix is a loving nightmare. I didn't see that Dana Gould special, which I'll definitely watch. And the Eddie Izzard that I haven't seen. Arj Barker special will be good if it's not the same as his old album.

Colin Quinn's Long Story Short is honestly brilliant. It needs to be seen.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I just don't get the Eddie Murphy specials. Maybe it's because I am queer, but I was really put off by how he used "human being" twice every line. It wasn't offensive because of that, it was offensive because it seemed so lazy.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Serious chat, incoming.

Alright so what's everyone's opinion on rape jokes and the c-word in comedy? Let me explain:

All of a sudden, there is so much outrage, just out of nowhere it seems, about these topics. Salon.com, Jezebel, even the Nation is writing about it. Some comics are joking that they should get a "Louis CK card" that allows them to joke about anything, because he never gets poo poo for his jokes.

Everybody acts as if people who make jokes... jokes, mind you, are MRAs or misogynists. What do you think? I mean, half the audience is women, and the whole audience is laughing.

I just wonder-- do you think in 20 years we'll look back on Louis CK and Daniel Tosh and whomever else, and think the same thing we do about Eddie Murphy now?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Like already said I guess I fall on the Chris Rock scale, there are some funny jokes about really taboo things, but they have to actually be jokes. Like you can't just be like CK and say 'man I like saying friend of the family, it's just fun to say, like AIDS' there's no joke there he's just saying friend of the family and knowing that his audience will go 'oh man that's a naughty word'.

I never found Louis CK's stuff to be gratuitous.

Anyway, keep the responses coming, this is a thoughtful discussion, and I'm enjoying it.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Past Tense Ragu posted:

God, you're awful. Why would you bring up this boring, tired loving subject again? You can look a few pages back and find all the same answers there.
Solely to annoy you.

Asterios posted:

I had a joke in my set that used the word rape when I was younger, and I still feel pretty lovely about it. I think comics should be allowed to tell jokes about whatever they want, but if more of them knew just how many people in the audience had been victims of sexual assault, they'd think twice before using it as a shock punchline.

1 in 5 women have been raped or sexually assaulted, and I really can't imagine what I'd think if I were sitting in an audience and someone brought it up as part of a joke. I think the discussion in the community's healthy because now, if you really want to keep your rape jokes, you're forced to think twice about it.

What if said male comic has been a victim of sexual assault themselves? I can name several off hand.

Ariza posted:

Ugh.

Has anyone been following Amy Schumer's show? I watched the first three episodes and started to find it tedious, despite loving her standup. Does it get any better? I do like Comedy Central giving all the funny comics out there shows. I'd say it ranks thusly (new shows): The Kroll Show>Nathan for You>Legit>Inside Amy Schumer>Jeselnik's thing>The Ben Show(I really tried, I like him)>Jeff Ross' dumb show.

I'm really loving bummed out by it, frankly. It seemed so promising, and some of the sketches were great, and I actually know one of the writers on the show... every writer on there being brilliant in their own way. But god it's just not enjoyable to watch. I took it off my DVR after last week.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 4, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Ariza posted:

I just looked it up and it seems her show was renewed too and it premiered number one with males 18-34 and kept good numbers. So it's only The Ben Show in the new crop of Comedy Central shows that didn't get renewed. I listened to some interviews/podcasts with him and I wouldn't be surprised if he killed himself in the next year or so. I'll try it again next season and hope they find their footing.

Yeah I know it's doing really well, and I fall in that demographic but... It's just not doing it for me. Feels like the show doesn't know what it wants to be. One part stand-up, one part sketches, one part interviews on the street, and then those awful one on one interviews at the end of each episode.

It's a shame because the 6 writers for that show is like a comedy all-star lineup. I had such high hopes.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
What did Lenny Bruce say? Something like "the suppression of the word is what makes it so vicious."

The Berzerker posted:

My girlfriend was interested in it so we watched about three episodes. We watched one that had a long sketch where the punchline was just fart noises over and over again. I think that was the last one we watched.

Did you see the perm sketch? It was... I don't know how that made it to air.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

soggybagel posted:

This was a long rambling incoherent mess. I'm sorry.
Don't apologize.

I didn't want a graduate dissertation on the issue; I wanted to hear your opinion. So I thank you for sharing them. Sincerely.

Comedy's Central's "Half-Hour Stand-Up" series -- this second season of it -- has been tremendous. Dan Soder, Nikki Glaser, Dan St. Germain and Jonah Ray were all spectacular. I still have to see Joey Roses and Gabe Liedman and some other ones but I'm just blown away by how many "new" great comics there are. Ones that won't even show up on your Vulture.com Top 50 Comedians You'll Soon Know lists... there are too many to list. Being a stand-up fanatic is like being a kid in a candy shop right now.

By the way, screw those lists. This is the only one worth reading: http://tynandelong.tumblr.com/post/50021915590/chucklebucket-coms-10-comedians-you-should-and

escape artist fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jun 4, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
If anyone could link that Improv4Humans podcast where Besser talks about it, it'd be appreciated.

Also, I'm fairly certain there was a little more than "Kurt didn't get $20 for his 10 minutes of stand-up" thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O2SbNaJdyM

It happened while I was in the midst of a bad relapse, though, so I didn't pay a great deal of attention to it.

Meltdowns and the UCB incident aside, he's a really funny comic. "Talks To Young People About Sex" is a fantastic album.

Anybody see the behind the scenes of Amy Schumer where Kurt talks about how they dated a few times, then Amy realized Kurt looks just like her dad, and they stopped dating? That was funny as hell when they put the pictures up side by side.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Thank you.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

YEP!

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I watched the video and nope that's exactly what it is. He doesn't get what UCB is about, and that's fine - he doesn't need to perform there.

The video is a snapshot of the incident. There's more to the story than that. Kurt and Matt ended up on good terms after they spoke on the phone, FYI.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Politicalrancor posted:

There's a reason you can see amazing comics at UCB doing stuff that you can't see anywhere else. The theater brings in not just a smart or savvy crowd, but devoted fans of comedy. $5 and $10 without a two drink minimum makes it so you can see multiple shows a week. And they offer totally free shows like the Sunday night "Asssscat" which gets a line that basically reaches to the Gelson's down Franklin.

Conversely, I could spend $20 on a ticket to the Improv or the Laugh Factory, spend another $15 on the 2 drinks, deal with lovely openers and mediocre crowds. That's not to say I haven't had a good time at a big club but I've felt like I haven't got my moneys worth plenty.

I've seen Sarah Silverman with a paper setlist checking off jokes that worked. I saw PFT accidentally waste a whole 10 minute set making fun of a drunk chick who made a piss poor attempt at heckling. UCB is just special, and that Kurt Metzger doesn't really get that kinda speaks volumes about him.
I don't think it speaks volumes about him. His heart was in the right place, he was just uninformed. And again, it was not just about money, and the part that was about money-- was not money for him. He's well-off with his Amy Schumer show gig. He's a good dude, and a really funny stand-up. Be on the look out for his new one-hour special "I'm The rear end in a top hat?" on Comedy Central later this year.

I know, undoubtedly, that Kurt Metzger is extremely generous when it comes to helping out young, budding comics. He has a tendency to have mini-breakdowns about silly things, though. But it doesn't mean he's a bad person.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

The Berzerker posted:

I saw Jen Kirkman tonight! I just read her book this week, so a lot of the material stuck out to me as stuff from the book, but it was still a really great show, lots of fun. I haven't been to a live show in a while (note to self, go see more live comedy).

Also, read her book! It is funny.

Did Christina Walkinshaw open for her? And if so, did you enjoy her set?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I guess I was wrong about Matt and Kurt being on good terms, but Kurt did seem to concede on his Facebook about it after a phone call that he understood why Matt did what he did*. I'd find the post but I'm too lazy.

edit: *does what he does

Anyway, I think Kurt Metzger is a cool guy, regardless. He is definitely a little bitter about his place in the comedy world. But then again, so am I. I first saw him in '09 and thought he was brilliant and wondered "why the hell isn't this guy more popular?"

At least Comedy Central is giving him an hour special later this year.

urk the quack posted:

It looks like all of the online comedy sites are reporting about Bob Odenkirk teasing a Mr. Show tour and possible reunion on Monday's Speakeasy with PFT.

Which, coincidentally, might explain this old tweet from Scott Aukerman:

I'm guessing we get some (probably in-the-can already) material from Earwolf whenever the group decides to do whatever it is they're doing. Should be awesome.

They're going to be at that Tenacious D musical comedy fest with The Mighty Boosh, Reggie Watts, Tim and Eric, and a bunch of others. Bob and David are doing a set called "The Mr. Show Experience", which would be amazing. If they go on tour I will fly to the closest venue to see it. Mr. Show is the greatest sketch show ever. I hope they get everybody back: Tom, Jill, Paul, Brian, Jerry, Jay, John, Mary-Lynn, Sarah etc. Despite all of them having successful solo careers now.

Declan MacManus posted:

I'm just dreading the idea that a tour might end up with a bunch of drunk guys shouting "Better call Saul!"

Ugh. I didn't even think of this.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 13, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Anyway, enough about the Metzger/UCB bullshit.

What are the best things to buy from Matt Besser's website? I'm thinking Stand-up for Atheists and 6 Most Important Stand-ups will be my next purchases. I already have May I Help You Dumbass

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

jyrka posted:

Those records should be free. In exchange for, you know, "exposure."

They're $1.99 a piece.

Politicalrancor posted:

6 most important Stand Ups is on Spotify and not totally amazing so I might try before you buy.

Thanks for the tip.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

For anyone with Amazon Prime, they have added every season of Comedy Central Presents: Stand-Up to their free streaming options. There are performances by some really fantastic comics if you look through every season, including what have to be very early, unpolished sets.

Lou, turn on your PMs?

Also, this is loving incredible:

http://www.npr.org/event/music/155311057/reggie-watts-tiny-desk-concert

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Al! posted:

It's me, I'm the guy who doesn't really get Reggie Watts.

Heh, it's okay. I was honestly confused for about a year as to what was so appealing about him. Then it just clicked, and now I love it. I'm not saying you don't "get it" -- I just mean, I understand he's not for everyone.

I don't have PMs, but feel free to shoot me an e-mail at saxman2 AT hotmail.

Okay, cool.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
New John Hodgman stand-up special on Netflix is to be released today!

edit: What do you think of Russell Brand's stand-up? I have always dismissed him due to stupid superficial reasons, but after seeing his annihilation of Morning Joe, I have to give the man a chance.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jun 20, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

DangerDummy! posted:

I know he's been a feature performer in the Gathering of the Juggalos Fresh-rear end Comedy Tent, so the guy's got chops

Oh my goodness. Now I have to find the Paul F. Tompkins radio bit where he makes fun of this. It never ceases to crack me up, hearing Paul analyze that. "You can take a helicopter ride over to the Fresh-rear end Comedy tent..."

Oh and to the poster a few posts above me: Thanks for the Kaufman recommendation!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Al! posted:

The John Hodgeman standup is pretty good, a lot more natural than I expected but I'm not a huge fan of the part of his oeuvre that consists of silly lists.

Just watched it. Thought it started off really strong and just got gradually worse and worse. Pretty disappointed, honestly.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Forum Hussy posted:

Dave Chappelle just did three nights in town and I didn't know until today :negative:

That poo poo happens to me all the time. I've been considering creating a "Comedy Hub" website that lists all comics, from household names to amateurs. Have it sorted by city/state/country, etc.

You could get alertsfor your area. Via your phone or email or facebook. I missed Bo Burnham and Bill Burr because you basically have to visit every comics individual website to find out their tour dates, which is a tedious process.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
^^Thanks pal.

Politicalrancor posted:

its called LaughStub and they have a website and everything!

I know you like to follow me around and try and be a dick, but I know of LaughStub and they actually suck and are always incomplete. They're missing Kamau Bell and Daniel Tosh shows in my area in the next month, just for example.

And another example:

Results for "Doug Stnahope"

No upcoming events found.

Doug Stanhope has been on tour for a long time, and isn't going to stop for a while. LaughStub is awful.

What was that thing you said to me? "Oh, gently caress off" -- good advice. Maybe you should practice what you preach.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jun 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
^^Thanks. I need to find something else to watch on there. Hodgman's special was tremendously disappointing.

Ariza posted:

Don't forget, ignore exists on these forums and is a beautiful tool. I put all the mean and rude people and people who take the internet seriously on there. It's so much nicer. I already had that person on ignore too!

Is Bert Kreischer's standup any good? I think I may be insane, but I bought myself a ticket to go see Gilbert Gottfried. He's funny as poo poo in tiny doses, but I have no idea what a full set from him entails.

Let us know how the Gottfried show is. I'm not familiar with Bert Kreischer.

Also, if I ignored all the rude people on this forum, half the forums would be on my ignore list, and I'd also be PMing the administrators asking why I couldn't put myself on the my ignore list.