Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
It really sucks that Mike MacDonald died. In the late-90s, when the Comedy Network was first starting, they used to air Just for Laughs stand-up everyday (my memory tells me that it was constantly on -- airing multiple times per day). MacDonald was a fixture of these shows, because he literally was at every single JFL. Like El Gallinero Gros, he was one of the first comedians I learned by name because of how much I enjoyed his material.

His WTF episode from last year is really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

I've been listening to some Bill Hicks compilations on my phone which doesn't have an ad blocker and it's real weird listening to him rail on advertising, marketing and the satan spawn of consumerism then get interrupted for an ad. In a way, it kind of fits the material.

And, geez. I didn't know Hicks did some of those horrible gay jokes.

Bill Hicks also had a song called "Chicks Dig Jerks", too.

He is the definition of a "nice guy".

And, uh, the rant against a woman in the audience is...something.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I also saw Broad City live in 2014, and it was the worst professional comedy thing I have seen. It had all the feeling of terrible improv, even though everything was set-up prior. I remember this really long bit about Abby being the baby from "Where the Heart Is" and it just kept going and going and going.

Also, I was sitting at the back, and you could just see a ton of people leaving. My section was pretty quiet for the whole show. I only stayed because I thought my now-wife was enjoying it. She was not.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Jacqueline Novak's "Get On Your Knees" was recently added to Netflix, and it is one of the most unique, refreshing, clever stand-up specials I've ever seen. Her whole set stuck to one major theme but never dragged, and her energy, delivery, and use of language were so impressive. I was blown away.

My wife is a big fan. I was unfamiliar with her work, but she bought us tickets to her show last year. I had fears that it was a dreaded "one-woman" show (on Maron this week, they make fun of the part of the show where the comedian gets emotional, calling it the "wanky bit"), but it was so fresh and funny. She won me over almost instantly.

Haven't seen the Netflix special yet, but I want to, which is unusual. I typically don't watch the specials of comedians where I saw their set live.