Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
5 hours is plenty for chuck to break down. Maybe slightly smaller chunks than normal. Really though, the main thing I would warn about is adjusting your liquid to match the reduced time. 2 hours less to cook off and thicken up could wind up being really watery if you don't adjust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
The holy trinity of food purity spergdom is:

1. Chili

2. Spaghetti Carbonara

3. Neapolitan Pizza

Each of those must meet a specific set of required ingredients/lack of others, to be the ONE TRUE definition, otherwise rage will ensue. I say this as someone who does indeed sperg out about each of those things.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Chili should look like this. Please stop using ground turkey and garlic out of a tube.

Closer! But still not what chili should look like.

Let he who is without beans, post the first pic.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Straight off the bat it sounds like you are not putting in enough salt. Salt is what gives you the immediate "gently caress, that's delicious".

Looking at the recipe, You also could use some brightness on the chilies. Ancho and chipotle are both dark and earthy. Put some new mexicos or guajillo powder in there.

Edit: reading through again, it also takes a little while of cooking for the chili powder flavor to "normalize", so tasting, adding more powder, tasting again, is not going to give you a super accurate read on the flavor. Wait like 20 minutes of simmering before tasting again.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 5, 2017

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I use soy sauce for this. You get the umami/MSG, as well as the dark, rich, round flavor. Don't use too much, and you gotta cook it for a little while after to cook out the sharpness.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Ranter posted:

I attribute my work chili cook off win to:

making beef broth from scratch
making my own chili paste
chipotles in adobo sauce
MSG

From the sounds of it, you should also be attributing it to having coworkers who like good chili, instead of giving the win to the tomato and bean soup like most workplace chili cookoffs.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Elizabethan Error posted:

why ask for tips to improve if you're going to ignore advice given?

He was asking for advice about a very broad topic that could have a ton of different angles. Just because he disagrees with one very specific piece of advice doesn't mean that he is going to ignore all advice.

I prefer the typical fattier cuts, but if dude likes his lean cuts, that's personal preference.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Ben Nevis posted:

It's a little more work sometimes, but I've taken braising cuts and trimmed the fat the end result less greasy. That's more with things that can get real greasy like boneless county style pork ribs.

When I can be bothered, I do this too. It's great.

Elizabethan Error posted:

not that it matters since it's ~competition chili~ where homogenous crap wins medals, but slowcooking a roast cut is silly any way you slice it.

He's not slicing it, that would be silly. He's cubing it, duh.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Mexican bakeries pretty much always also sell tacos, breakfast and lunch plates too, not just sweet pastries. One of the best Mexican restaurants in Austin is a "bakery", but their pastries are not very good, and their standard Mexican fare is amazing.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I think that is going to vary, probably. I can't speak for where Bob is talking about, but there's definitely not any advertised "buy raw ingredients" signage at any of the Mexican bakeries that I frequent. That being said, if I asked a manager/the owner of any of them "Will you sell me some of your chorizo" I am doubting any of them would turn me down.

Edit: That being said, you can either offer to buy stuff like above, or just buy a couple of different brands of tube chorizo from the store and test them out with some eggs. Some are lovely, some are pretty good. You can always spice up grocery store tube chorizo with more chili powder, good paprika, cayenne, salt, garlic powder, whatever man. I'd take mediocre tube chorizo that I spiced up over no chorizo.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 27, 2017

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Joe's Mexican Bakery down off 7th.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Chili is all-weather. When it's cold, it warms you up. If it's hot, make it spicier so it gets you sweating.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Office chili cookoff advice can vary.

1) What state is this office located in?

2) On a scale of 1-10, how white is the average judge on the panel?

I am obviously biased towards Texas style, and I prefer chuck over tri-tip. If you are in Cali, go with tri-tip though.

As far as 1-2 bite "WOW! Factor", heavier on the chipotle. Big blast of delicious smokiness is impressive, even if a whole bowl would be fatiguing.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Ranter posted:

As 2 times reigning champ of my work chili cook off, I attribute the following towards elevating my food above others:

1. Making beef broth from scratch. Store bought is nothing, NOTHING, compared to home simmered beef broth. This adds so much depth of beefy goodness it's really the secret ingredient. 1 week before putting the chili together spend I 1 hour shopping and prepping for the stock, and then keep an eye on it for 8 hours while it simmers. If you have a pressure cooker that cuts down the time significantly but I enjoy spending a lazy day at home, keeping an eye on it whilst I play video games and day drink.

2. Umami. MSG, fish sauce, both, up to you.

3. Making your own chili paste/powder with the whole dried Mexican chilis you see in plastic bags in stores, freshly toasted whole cumin that you pound/grind fresh yourself, chipotles in adobo, etc. Pick 3 or 4 varietals of chili, de-seed, soak, blitz with everything else.

4. Pork.

And don't forget to take it easy on the salt then just before it's 'done' cooking down to desired consistency taste it and salt it properly. Home cooks don't salt their food properly and wonder why it is blander than restaurants.

I'm norcal and go with a good quality whole chuck roast that I cube up myself, along with a bit of pork shoulder.

All great tips. I incorporate the pork via a roll of hot sausage, rather than pork shoulder. It pretty much disintegrates into a much thicker sauce, and I prefer a single distinguishable meat for the chunks.

As far as chuck vs. tri-tip, I definitely think that chuck is the better option, but I've never met someone from Cali that didn't get at least half-mast from the mere mention of tri-tip, so would be a great way to score some points off the bat for a cookoff in Cali.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Ranter posted:

My confusion was that I won my category, the judges (coworkers) voted my chili the best no bean chili, but then gave the best overall to someone else in the same category. Logically, my competitor should have won my category too.

This is faulty logic. Theirs might not have been as good at being a traditional Texas style chili, thus didn't win your category, but it may have been more pleasing overall to the judges' tastes, thus winning the overall.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Cascabels are really fruity.

Anchos and Mulatos are both really dark and raisiny, so I would pick only one of them. Ancho is a more traditional flavor, but Mulatos are great and still pretty similar.

Personally, my mix would be:

Ancho
Pasilla
Chipotle
Arbol

The arbol are mainly about heat, so if you want a milder chili, the chipotle will cover a nice warm spice. If you want spicier, add arbol.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 18, 2018

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

bewbies posted:

I've become an advocate of simplicity in chile selection.

Guajillo as the base, for fruitiness
Ancho for chile-ness
Cayenne (or arbol) for heat

...that's it.

I think dried chipotles add too much smoke and bitter, use the stuff in the can.

Def agree on all points, with one objection. Canned chipotle are way better, with San Marcos brand being the best I have found, but... If my option is dried chipotle or no chipotle, I definitely still want some in there.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I prefer them to the stuff soaked in corn syrup for that reason. The flavor is more pure and they are easier to use without the extra poo poo in the adobo.

If you can find San Marcos brand, they are not NEARLY as sweet as all of the others. It's annoying how much sugar is in most of them.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I've never bothered de-seeding, honestly. I figure that after being cooked in the can, then left for however many months before I buy and use them, all spice/bitterness has already been absorbed and spread throughout the can. I just toss 'em in the blender with the rest of the chile paste mix, so no textural problem either.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

sfwarlock posted:

I do not cook chili from a book. He who cooks chili from a book has forgotten the face of his father. I cook chili from my heart.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I do not cook chili from a book. He who cooks chili from a book has forgotten the face of his father. I cook chili with heart.

Both of these are correct.

In general though, anyone who believes that there are 60 chili recipes different enough to be worth documenting, is not someone you should be taking chili advice from. :colbert:

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Are you from Europe?

Like, it sounds like it would taste good, but that's not chili, son.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Tezcatlipoca posted:

That isn't true and you sound like you got all your ideas about chili from a white dude.

The gently caress is this?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Every Mexican I've seen making chili adds a mire poix of some kind so their stew doesn't taste bland and flat. I live in Texas and have been subjected to many terrible chilis made by middle aged white dudes who couldn't layer flavors if their lives depended on it. Sounds like y'all are part of the latter group.

You have absolutely no idea what the gently caress you are talking about. Like, I don't even know where to start.

Edit: Sorry, in a lovely mood due to some pain management issues, so being shittier than I intend to. My apologies for not being more constructive.

Skipping right past the fact that chili as we know it was invented by a white dude who traveled to the southwest...

Yes, lovely chili is lovely. I can't speak to what you have had and explain why those were lovely. You can quite easily get depth of flavor without mire poix. You get depth of flavor through browned meat(s), onions, garlic, a variety of toasted chilies, Mexican oregano, toasted cumin, and flavorful liquid.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 22, 2019

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This is just laughable.

Like, mindnumbingly racist and stupid.

I am sorry that literal recorded history upsets you. I assume that we are not going to see eye to eye on this one ever, so I'mma let people get back to hopefully posting chili that they made.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
For “eat in a bowl” chili, I do both. 2 parts chunks, to 1 part ground. I brown the heck out of the ground first for the flavor, and it also adds body.

For sauce chili, just ground.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Serve it in a hollowed out orange.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Tendales posted:

I've been eyeing the bags of chunk goat meat at my local store lately. Goat meat would make for an interesting chili, right? Anyone with some experience have OPINIONS about what kinds of chiles would work well with goat?

Goat’s a really dark, earthy, irony meat, so I’d lower the ancho and up the brighter stuff like guajillos, or cascabels if you can get ‘em.

I’d probably do something like

3 parts guajillo
2 parts New Mexico
2 parts Pasilla
0.5-1 part Arbol depending on heat

A little sour cream and lime on top at the end would be great too.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Rescue Toaster posted:

Is there any reasonable (trustable?) place to get decent dried chiles mail order? None of my local grocery stores have anything. I think I saw one variety of dried ancho at one place one time, and that's it.

Everyone says dried chili powders won't carry enough flavor (especially if they've been sitting around) and I believe them. Is there anything like a frozen or canned chili paste already that's decent? Sorry if that's sacrilege.

Penzeys is a forum favorite for a reason. They are solid.

https://www.penderys.com is pricier, but for good reason. The variety is nuts, and they are hands down the best chiles I have ever found, anywhere. All of the whole chiles come completely intact, super soft and pliable, and punch you in the face with the aroma. They are all I order now, but again, pricy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I got chili meat and suddenly a week of 60s. I do not want to simmer a pot in the 60s!

What? The 60s are a perfect temperature for chili! So are the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 70s, 80s, and 90s.

Nothing is good in the 100s though.