Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I don't remember where I got this recipe, but I make it all the time because it's quite easy and doesn't take very long given the amount of leftovers you will have.

2 lbs ground turkey
30 oz kidney beans, drained and rinsed
10 oz whole kernel sweet corn, drained
15 oz tomato sauce
6oz tomato paste
16 oz water
2-3 hot peppers (jalepenos, habeneros, whatever you like)
2-3 cloves of garlic
1 small red onion
3 tablespoons masa harina (mexican corn) flour
4 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1.5 teaspoons table salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Brown turkey. Combine turkey, beans, corn, tomato sauce and paste and water in large pot. chop onion, peppers, and garlic, put in food processor to finely chop. Add to pot. Combine spices into a bowl, slowly stir into pot. Bring mixture to a slow boil, reduce heat to just under boil and stir occasionally for an hour or so. Flavor improves dramatically after freezing (so make a pot and freeze some for lunches). I also make this for tailgating, and add beer if it starts to dry out on the burner.

prep time: 30 minutes
cook time: 1 hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I took some poo poo earlier in this thread for my chili, specifically for using ground turkey. So I have made a few more batches trying different meats, including ground beef and "chili meat" which appeared to just be a cubed up roast. Along these lines, I have two "beef arm roasts" in my freezer. Would I do well to cube these up, sear them, and then use them for my chili meat? I don't want to waste one of the roasts if this is a bad idea.

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

fuckpot posted:

My ghost peppers arrived today :getin:

Best thing about ghost peppers is their laxative effect.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I put bacon in my chili tonight.

It was glorious.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

sfwarlock posted:

What about the freezer? I have some stuff from January/February I'm wondering about...

Probably a year in the freezer.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

The Lord Bude posted:

If you're wondering what that stomping sound you can hear out your window is, it's the sound of thousands of pitchfork wielding chilli Goons marching on your location with murder in their eyes.
Eh, I always put a *CAN* of sweet corn in my chili. It really does add some nice texture, and fits the theme of, "whatever you can find on the trail".

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

why would you blend guac, just fold it with a spoon/fork. Hummus is a no-go in any blender, because of the thickness, and tomato sauce should have been fine.
I occasionally am unable to find a decent avocado at the store and have to buy one that is not quite ripe. I use a food processor to make guacamole in those cases, otherwise I use a sturdy whisk.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

sfwarlock posted:

On this note: how exactly does one deal with, say, a quart-sized-Ziploc-bag brick of frozen chili? Fridge? Countertop? Microwave? Skillet? Toss it in a pot of boiling water then reduce it back down?
i am late to the party, but you really only need to run it under the tap for about 10 seconds to loosen it from the bag. smack the frozen brick against the counter one time to break it in half then just microwave in a bowl.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

5436 posted:

I'm starting my chili endeavour with the Cooks Illustrated Chili Recipe. Anyone have experience with this recipe? I don't wanna make a big batch of chili that is bunk. Is there a goon favorite recipe?
The recipe looks pretty standard. If it was me, I would buy masa harina flour and use that instead of the corn meal, and I would use water and more beer (a dark one) instead of the chicken stock.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
if it absolutely, positively had to be meatless, i would look at the morningstar farms ground beef substitute. I've made taco salad with it and while it is certainly not beef, it's not half bad. It's not exactly cheap either.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Also, I've heard chili freezes well, confirm/deny? It would be nice if I could do up big batches of chili and baked beans, and just take out whatever the day before and toss it in the fridge.
I don't even bother planning ahead, I just microwave it while it's still frozen.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

kittenmittons posted:

It is in fact a Cincinnati style chili.
To be more specific, it appears to be chili 5 way. Chili, spaghetti, onions, cheese, and beans. Common menu item at steak-n-shake. It probably ought to be just as welcome in a chili thread as a chili dog would be.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Rotten Cookies posted:

Much like pineapple pizza is very good, despite what naysayers might think.
Only with ham and the right bbq sauce.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Crazyeyes posted:

The cheapest ones available. My Shoprite sells what they call "stew meat" which is basically cubed chuck steak. It works well.
The problem with this is that you may get cubes from multiple sources, which may not cook uniformly. I personally buy the cheapest beef roast I can find and cube it myself.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I live in a city of 110k and have 3 butchers within 15 minutes.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

... until I added 1 tbsp of this:
I love the idea of these additives, but like you I learned the hard way that it fucks up your natural flavor. I love hot poo poo, but not at the expense of actual flavor. I much prefer to just add more peppers.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

What exactly does one do with 4 to 5 quarts of inedible chili?

It feels wrong to just throw it away.
chili dogs or chili cheese nachos are the immediate fixes. You could also bulk it up with rice or pasta and have a whole meal, or freeze what you got and add small amounts of it to future chili batches.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
octoberfest makes the best chili, so pretty much this is the best time of year to make chili.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
so making chili in a pressure cooker is pretty loving awesome. What used to take 8-12 hours to tenderize the beef now takes <1 hour. It turns a real pot of chili (if there is such a thing) from an all day, weekend only affair into an easy, on a whim weeknight meal.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

iForge posted:

Considering I got 3rd, I think its a perfectly fine recipe. Thanks.
Did you have to enter chili or could you enter anything you wanted?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Horse Clocks posted:

Does anybody else make chilli to freeze and take to work as lunches?

Been finding reheating the chilli makes the flavour a bit flat and the water separate. Not inedible, but nothing like fresh out of the pot.
I think my chili generally tastes better after it is frozen and reheated.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Missing Name posted:

Just not chili.
I think you can make "turkey chili" with turkey. It's still a subset of chili and it might not be what most people are expecting, so you really gotta have the warning be the very first word of the name of the dish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Crazyeyes posted:

My girlfriend volunteered me against my will to make chili for her parents because "your chili is so good". Problem is: her father is an incredibly picky eater due to health issues, so spicy/strong flavors really upset his stomach. I knew this and cautioned my gf, but her response was, "Just make it without the peppers!"

Please help. How does one make good chili without chili peppers and with minimal spices? I don't think it's possible.
I am way late to the party, and can't help YOU specifically, but there is no reason you can't make a good chili with bell peppers, anaheims, poblanos, mild banana peppers, etc.. It deviates from most peoples expectations, but still meets the real requirements -- meat and peppers.