Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

WombatCyborg posted:

Anybody have a good idea for meat substitutes that work well in chili for us vegetarian goons? I want to taste a good chili in my life at some point haha.

TVP is fine - don't soak it first, and add it towards the end. If you make your chili a little more soupy than normal, it'll suck up a good deal of that liquid and taste like it.

You can reconstitute it in boiling water with some dark soy sauce if you want it to be more meaty, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I used a 1/2 bottle of Péché Mortel from Dieu De Ciel in the last batch of chili I made. It's a 9.5% imperial coffee stout, and the coffee really added to the earthiness of the chili without it being overly bitter.

And then I drank the others.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
It's good to love a bean.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I made this cornbread I found off tastespotting since I was bored with my old cornbread recipe, to go with the chili linked off of theyummylife (cooking for other people = don't just make your regular chili that will take their heads off with spice.)

I was quite pleased with how it turned out, though I cut down on the jalapenos and didn't measure the green onions. I have better things to do with my time than measure green onions.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

SYFY HYPHY posted:

Don't make friends with people that hate food.

It's too late now!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Cumin is essential to me but it can get overpowering - you can always fry a little extra cumin to add if you didn't get enough in the beginning, easier to put in than take out etc. etc.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Chili can't actually exist, it is only an idea

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I certainly can't put a spoon in it.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Kickshaw posted:

I promised my family chili next week since it's getting colder outside. Problem is, my dad won't eat meatless chili so I'm using chicken breast in it and I have no clue how to use chicken breast in chili. Do I just cook the chili as I would vegetarian chili, then poach the breasts till they shred, dice them up and brown them with the chilies I'm using, or what? :confused:

If you're cooking for a largely vegetarian crowd, make the the chili ahead (it'll taste better for sitting anyway) and then braise some chicken thighs in a little of the chili liquid, shred them, and incorporate into his serving.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
If he's a jerk about it, just reconstitute some TVP in a little chili liquid + water with some dark soy sauce. Oh no, you ate a vegetarian meal without dying.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

cornface posted:

I have been using the smoker like crazy the last two weeks, and was starting to get a backlog of leftovers, so I did the right thing and made it into chili.

It is pretty good, but I honestly don't notice much of a difference over just browning meat, other than the pulled pork leavings give it a nice thickness. I normally use cubed top sirloin and then add a bit of ground meat as a filler. The pork was definitely better.

Ended up using about 1-2 lbs of chopped brisket, 1 lb of unsauced pulled pork, some cubed chuck, and 1 lb of anchos, rehydrated and processed.

(pre-seasoning)

While I don't think the smoke really adds much, it is a nice change of pace for the leftovers when you get sick of sandwiches.

If it makes you feel better, I want to eat that chili like a crazy person.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Scott Bakula posted:

That was nothing like what I bought. It was incredibly salty. Like maybe I ate a chili pepper then shoved a dessert spoon of salt into my mouth at the same time.

If it was sambal that was aimed at the Dutch market (it got into their culture as part of the Dutch takeover of Indonesia) it tends to be saltier as the Dutch love the poo poo out of salt. Sambals vary a lot by who's making it.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I would say scotch bonnet and yeah, don't let the cute lil' pepper fool you, it's spicy. Wear gloves or wash your hands very well after handling one.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Ghost peppers are mostly heat, while chipotle and the attached adobo give a lovely smoky flavor + some heat. There's no point in some dick wagging competition regarding heat, because you can buy pure heat from the chemical man if you like.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
If anything, it's better to let it sit over night.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Let's talk cornbread. I made some quick chili tonight for dinner and decided to make cornbread, because that's what you do. Couldn't find my usual recipe, so googled this one: http://southernfood.about.com/od/cornbread/r/bl51231b.htm as I was out of milk but had a surplus of buttermilk.

I threw in a diced jalapeno, a tiny amount of shredded jack cheese, and some green onion because hey why not.

I don't know, I was underwhelmed. It cooked fine, and the skillet was good and hot in the oven with some lard - good crust, good crumb, but overall it needed something. What recipes do you all like?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I'd chop them, reconstitute them, blend them a bit and add it along with (the end of) your aromatics in the beginning. If you let them sit in the soaking liquid you can probably just mash them up instead of blending. Try a tiny taste to gauge for heat as you never can tell just by looking.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
It's just chili

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I had meant to include a link to a discussion from 1994 about chili vs chili beans but the link checker was not having it: maybe this time.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.food.cooking/Vm9jvg2Jess/j0kt0wqrzssJ

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

Don’t know why Mark Twain didn’t stop by the Mexican grocery and get some real chili peppers. Or beans.

He was busy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uIxSwvmWVM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Why even sear meat before cooking it? It's going to cook in the stew for two hours anyways so it'll probably sear in there.