Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Speaking of VC episodes, is anyone working on the Super Metroid one? That one's pretty much a full lenght one and the raws in the blog are tagged as private.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
If we're talking about Mega Man TASes, there's always https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lnogpRPvY4 ,which more or less turns the entire game into a gibbering mess screaming for mercy thanks to some creative abuse of race conditions.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
The GBA version of SFA3 would've probably been pretty drat close to the other versions of the game if the guys who ported it would've been allowed to use a bigger cart for it, but with the Capcom being the cheap bastards they are, they had to settle with stuffing the game into 8 megs.

The end result is still pretty good and it's nice being able to switch the various World Tour extra crap on and off at will instead of having to beat it and level up each respective character you want to apply those bonuses on.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Two questions about the episode:

1. What was up with that marathon question? It's 42 kilometers, and at 5 km/h it'd take 8.4 hours to finish, not even close to any of the offered answers. Was the game wrong or was the question worded badly?

2. What's up with that white text in the middle of the screen that's also visible in that linked picture with Abe's and Suda's kids, is it some kind of an earthquake warning?

The post-credits ads weren't translated either which is a pretty minor nitpick considering how stupid amounts of text there was otherwise so it's probably pretty easy to forget, although I'm sorta curious why the top of Arino's head was filled with static.

Great job as always otherwise.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Was Super Ghouls'n Ghosts taken down? It's not linked in the OP.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007

victrix posted:

I 100%ed DKC and I had no idea about that infinite lives bounce :aaa:

To be fair, it's easy to assume that bouncing on top of him doesn't count since it doesn't actually damage him

Random Stranger posted:

What drove me nuts when watching the episode is that Arino never figured out how to roll/cartwheel. That's how you get through half those enemies. That's how you make the hard jumps easy. It was like him never figuring out the spin jump in Mario World.

Amusingly enough, he actually pulled off an accidental roll-jump during the falling platform segment which I never found out about until I read about it from a magazine

One thing that was kind of a shame was that they didn't show off Cranky's bitching at all, would've been funny seeing Arino's comments on some of those.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
As stated previously in the thread, it wasn't the cart that was defective, the monitor was just too old to be able to output the special resolution the game uses.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
JuJu Legend is better known elsewhere as Toki.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007

victrix posted:

Tell that to Sega, who went on a youtube takedown rampage shutting down fans Shining Force channels because of a new SF game they wanted to pop up in YT searches or some poo poo :psyduck:

Sega's never understood marketting in any sense, way, or form for as long as they've existed, Segata Sanshiro is probably the only even remotely memorable ad campaign of theirs and even that is Japan only.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Kind of a shame that they never revealed to him that the Pink Grandma was actually a fat samurai wannabe dude. But then again, he probably noticed it by himself when he looked at the manual.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
I could use some GCCX Swapnote stationery if someone wants to send some, my FC's 0619-3879-2558.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007

jyrque posted:

Added: my FC's 0576 - 4268 - 6750.

Right, thanks.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Yeah, it's pretty close to being done, from what I understand the only non-background text that hasn't been translated is the opponent dialogue in Triotos, after that it should be close to alpha/beta and bug- and typofixing.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007

Obeast posted:

IMO, beautiful is an understatement. I'm actually shocked that it's looking this good right now since it sounds like a handful of people are working on it, and I love that they're reusing the RGC1 English fonts or a very similar font to keep it consistent. :)

It's looking pretty good, yeah, but I kinda miss the fake DQ font for the RPG from the first game, I guess the current one might allow for slightly more text per box. It's kind of a shame that there's not real way to know what young Arino's saying though especially since the second game has a good deal more game-specific quotes, but any subtitles are probably a bit too hard to implement, especially since they'd probably have to code them from scratch seeing that the game doesn't have any already existing mechanics for stuff like that outside of maybe using his speech bubble for that purpose.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007

joek0 posted:

For those who have played the 2nd DS game, what are your favorite games?

Other than GunDuel which I really like other than the fact that it's way too hard to get the combination powerup on the last 2 levels, I also like Mutekiken Kungfu/Super Kung Fu Fighting (it's likely they're gonna call it that cause the first game had it in one of the top seller charts in the magazine under that name) since it's essentially Karateka but a whole lot faster and more fun. I also think the RPG sequel might be decently fun when I can understand the drat thing, seeing as they made the Guadias a whole lot more complex.

quote:

I'm not very good with roms and emulators. Could I use the translation patch on my import copy so I could play with my save intact? If no, how would I play on my 2DS system?

Like stated earlier, that's probably not gonna happen, the only way you're gonna play the translation on a DS is via a flashcart or use an emulator instead, meaning you're probably going to have to start over from scratch. Which is probably the preferable option, seeing that just continuing from your completed save will have you miss out on most of the dialogue and events, I'm sorta curious myself if they have some kind of silly explanation for the fact that you're supposed to be with the same kid as in the first game but he has an entire new set of games.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007

Katana Gomai posted:

The guy at the helm it is an absolute perfectionist; in the thread he talks about finding and removing the character 体 (body), which acts as a counter for how many monsters you've killed in the RPG ("Monsters killed: 241体"). Counters are mandatory in Japanese but redundant in English so he tried to get rid of it, which was a bit of an issue since the character apparently wasnt linked to the regular kanji memory addresses. It's absolutely inconsequential for the game but instead of ignoring it, he was going to manually draw a black box on top of it in the menu screen to make it disappear before he found the memory address where the character is located and was able to remove it properly. I would have just let it sit there. :shobon:

That number doesn't have anything to do with the number of monsters killed, it's there to show how many monsters of that type are present in battle. Which, I suppose, is much more noticeable than a counter for a total number of kills which probably would only be visible in a specific menu or via some specific NPC that lets you view your stats.

The only sad thing is that like I stated earlier, there's no easy way to subtitle any of young Arino's comments, which is a bit more of an issue than I initially thought since as shown on that video, there's over 8 times as many of them when compared to the first game. Maybe it can be addressed in some way later but it would've been nice to be able to understand the stuff he says.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Nah, there's at least 2 games where you can play with or against him and he tends to be at least moderately competent.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007

zari-gani posted:

I don't speak for the RCG2 romhack team officially, but I joined a while ago and translated a huge bulk of it. Translating the game is no problem; a lot of it is already done, and English logos have been made too.

From GBATemp:

Aaron Chmielowiec posted:

Interesting times. Even though the text that Nina proofread is of excellent quality, if only she knew the text I got from the original team made up less than 10% of the total game. I cry thinking just about just how long it took getting through the RPG and Adventure games. The "logo" images were...well, there were a few. We ended up remaking everything in the game, though.

So yeah.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
If it works it should create another file in the same directory that's smaller than the original since it also crops the ROM, try hitting the "patch game" button a second time since it seemed it didn't do anything the first time around when I tried it.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007

Zeether posted:

Can I apply the patch over a 1.0 patched rom or will that gently caress up the game?

Should work but if you want to be safe, use it on a clean one.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Out of curiosity, how many sets of rights would that even be in total? One from Namco Bandai, another from indiezeroes, yet another from Fuji TV, one from Gascoin and one from each group that did base translation on the game, are there more?

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
That's kind of a given based on the fact that it's mentioned in one of the magazines. I'm a bit confused about the ending to the MASA-X version of Cosmic Gate myself: I beat it once for the hell of it but didn't get a gloriously mangled screenful of Engrish cooked up by Aaron. I guess I shouldn't have used a rainbow warp in one of the levels?

I've been in a habit of beating the games individually, Wiz-Man's got a real bitch of a final stage and Demon Returns can be pretty drat hard too if the RNG decides to be an rear end, but Ace Detective 1 felt pretty short with the amount of stuff it had left after you complete all the challenges. I suppose that's why there's a second part but still.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Yes, they get progressively harder.

To be more specific, there's 45 different Daily Challenges. The challenge you start on is determined by which day from the 45-day list the current date lands on starting from the release date of the game, with the list resetting after all of the challenges have been used that many days later: from that point onwards, all the challenges you've beaten on the first time around become harder, mostly by increasing the number of stuff you need to do to complete the challenge successfully.

I'm not entirely sure how many times they increase in difficulty considering the fact that some of them have fixed ingame limits (score for Star Prince SA, time for Rally King EX, number of levels for GunDuel, etc), but I'm guessing there's probably 4 or 5 harder variants in total.

It also could be that there's no real limit, which doesn't matter all that much considering that you still get 20 points even if you fail a challenge as long as you tried it once and you can get the large point bonuses on your birthday as many times as you want.

AnotherGamer fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 14, 2014

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Yeah, it would be nice if there were more challenges, but there's only so many things you can ask the player to do that you can keep making harder by telling them to do it more times, not to mention that coming up with additional programming to make the game detect the player is doing what they're supposed to in some kind of a ridiculously convoluted challenge might be more trouble than it's worth, especially if a large number of players will never end up seeing it to begin with, plus there probably wouldn't be any kind of easy alternative way to scale it up.

That, plus since they decided not to include Super Demon Returns or Triotos DX in the challenges due to their similarities to the original games and couldn't include any for Guadia Quest Saga or Ace Detective games for obvious reasons, this means there's an even 5 challenges for every possible game.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
The problem with the golden wands in Wiz-Man is the fact that most of them have such ridiculously obtuse requirements that the whole process changes from a Daily Challenge to a Now-Go-Buy-A-Strategy-Guide-Because-There's-No-Way-In-Hell-Anyone's-Gonna-Figure-Out-This-poo poo-On-Their-Own-Challenge. Hell, I can't even figure out the exact requirements for the golden wand in the final level even though it's spelled out in one of the GameFan magazines and despite trying to do what it asks multiple times and only succeeding in it once. (Collect 25 crystals but not too many? What do you mean, "not too many"?)

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Yeah, that'd be the cherry on top of the bullshit cake if you actually needed the golden wands to be able to damage the boss, that level is enough of a difficulty spike compared to the rest of the game as it is.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Yeah, they probably skipped over it as a joke because they wanted a more fitting platform to do their Pokemon references on and because the second game wouldn't have had enough in the way of new features (outside of other party members, which existed in the first GQ to begin with), much like Dragon Quest didn't.

The ingame excuse is that Arino lent it to a friend who moved away and he doesn't want to get another copy because of the memories he had with the original.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
It should be Mega Man X and if it isn't, I demand an adequate reason why.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
If there was any justice in the world, they'd make him play FF7: Dirge of Cerberus.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007

cubeboy posted:

Like Tojima who's in the US training, or Kan who's never around. Even the main plot of the story where Kibe, the culprit in the story, takes over the Love & Game organization to bring down the Gamecon (famicom). He's mad because his father owned the factory that produced the rival console (nod to his loving the Sega Master System), and that was bought out by Game Center CX Industries, who specialize in the Gamecon.

I personally like the fact that Arino gets accidentally roped into participating in a wrestling match in the second part, considering he's also been in this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3585949

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Seems like the Zero Team they had in that shop had some bad ROMs or something, most of the sprites seemed to be slightly corrupt judging from the horizonal lines appearing all over them.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
All I have to say about Tant-R is that it's probably the weirdest possible direction Bonanza Bros could've taken.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
I forgot, was there a DVD-exclusive set of challenges for Retro Game Challenge 2 included with the not-as-good 3rd game like there was a set of challenges for the first RGC included with the second game or did I imagine that? If so, what's the progress on that one?

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007

AnotherGamer posted:

I forgot, was there a DVD-exclusive set of challenges for Retro Game Challenge 2 included with the not-as-good 3rd game like there was a set of challenges for the first RGC included with the second game or did I imagine that? If so, what's the progress on that one?

Quoting this again in case it got lost between the releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Oh man, a game that overflows your ammo to 0 because of bad programming, and then tells you that it's your fault for being greedy. They made Space Hunter thirty years too early

Not to mention the fact that a lot of the weapons have ridiculous minimum ammo requirements before you're allowed to fire them to begin with.

They also failed to properly program in the second major mechanic: whenever the timer ticks down in the selfdestruction countdown, the game freezes for 1/10th of a second or so. Imagine playing something like Super Mario with a constant timer like that.