Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Mr Phillby posted:

It would be pretty rad if the massive episode list could be split into seasons.

After reading the AD's bios I was curious to see what all the fuss over Inoko MAX was, but knowing he debuted in the 5th season didn't help at all.

Well, there's not really a huge fuss. We just like him a normal amount.

The reason I like him is that he comes off as this very earnest person, who's just trying hard to impress his boss. Of course, he rarely succeeds, but there's a certain every-man quality to him that makes his weirdness even more delightful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Emalde posted:

- Take a drink when the phrase "Game Over Hell" is used.

Man, the GCCX drinking game is beginning to sound dangerous. :ohdear:

- Take a drink when Arino is proud that he beat a little kid in a game.

- Take a drink anytime Arino acts like a lecherous old man towards video-game characters.

- Pour your drink all over yourself when Arino forgets how to play the game.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I have two questions: how common is it for subtitle groups who are working on the same show to talk it out and make sure they aren't covering the same material?

Also, is there any etiquette in the fan-sub community about respecting another group's turf, or is it "Hey, we want to do our translations our way, so you guys be damned?" This isn't meant as an attack on TV Nihon, but rather, more just a general query.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

cronox2 posted:

After watching the Kato and Ken episode (dear god those faces) I'm way more appreciative of the ways you guys handle the subbing. At times the episode became a mess to read because Nihon didn't do things like blackout the japanese text or selectively decide what to translate on screen. Using a white on black font didn't help seperating the subs either.

The other things that these guys do is that they also try to avoid translator notes. There's been a few times where I've seen translator notes that could have been better handled just by changing the translation in the subtitles and eliminating the need for notes.

The only time I saw something that I could understand was when he was reading the description for the Journey to the West game and he came across "In...dia," because it was an outdated Japanese term for the country. The only thing I could see them doing is something like "Hindu...stan," but I think even then you might still need a gloss, since I don't think your average person knows what Hindustan would refer to off the top of their heads.

The other thing is that Nihon is obsessive about using the Japanese titles for games. Once again, the Journey to the West game that Arino plays, they just literally dump the whole Japanese name into the middle of the subtitles. I don't think they understand that just dumping a large string of nonsense* into the subtitles actually makes it harder for someone to read and understand. That, or they are more concerned about the one nerd who would say "Oh my god, you guys weren't accurate. You should stick to the original Nihongo name, please!"

*To be ironic, I'll make a quick note. I'm aware that it isn't actually nonsense, but to someone who doesn't speak Japanese, seeing a long string of words that I don't understand in an English translation needlessly is nonsense.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

pnumoman posted:

Maybe it's a stupid generalization, but I have never encountered people other than Americans who react like such loving babies about subtitles.

"EW, I have to read while I watch tv/movies?" Never heard that in any other language than American. (No, not English, I won't insult the Brits like that.)

Yeah, it's a bit douchey, but I'm loving tired of it. So yeah, it might be a stupid generalization, but I don't care.

Americans don't like subtitles because they have a whole entertainment industry who is concerned with their money. If you want to watch a movie, you have millions of options before you even have to get into the dub-vs-sub thing.

And guess what: other countries have the same thing. There are plenty of European countries where it is more common to dub something than it is to sub it. Be happy we don't have what Poland have: A Polish guy talking over the soundtrack explaining what everyone is saying. Just one Polish guy.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Oh please? Is it Go by Train!? I mean, what's not to anticipate with that one? In some regards, I don't want to see it, because that means this image I have in my head of Arino sitting in his chair, wearing a conductor's hat, and making train noises probably isn't anywhere near reality...

And because of that, I suddenly have lost the urge to live.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Primoman posted:

Well yes, I don't know yet what his favorite genres are, but he does strike me so far as a Famicom fan among all else. Given his age and assuming he was gaming at the time, it's a bit hard to believe he would ignore Super Mario 3 considering the crazy hype it was getting back in the day (I think it was even the first NES game to get hype, period. That Mario Earth commercial blew my mind).

Well, remember, Arino would have been around 17-18 when that game came out. Now, I know very little about Japanese culture, but I can assume that at that time, he probably didn't have a ton of time and money for playing games.

Look at me. Some of my employees know I enjoy videogames, and when a game just comes out they'll ask me "Oh, did you get this game yet?" And they can't understand when I explain to them that I can't afford to just get every big new release on the day it comes out, nor do I have the time to play every big game. It's like Skyrim. I don't know if I want to dedicate 40+ hours to a game when I find myself with less and less time to just sit and play videogames. Unless it's the new Mass Effect. gently caress my job. Work will have to work around that for me.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

zari-gani posted:

I think that's where a lot of the show's appeal comes from -- how non-intimidating it is to casual gamers. It's inviting to those who struggle with Super Mario World or didn't have the privilege of having access to a lot of games growing up. It's a good way to hook people into the series. "Do you like games but suck at them? Well so does he! There's no shame! Finally, a show for the amateurs!"

And don't forget that it's a great way to see all the games you heard about but never got a chance to play, either because you didn't have the system, or you couldn't get every good game. And of course, nowadays, playing those games can be an experience. Many of them were designed back when a game was supposed to last you a longer time. As much as I would like to play Ninja Gaiden, I don't think I really want to put up with the garbage that comes with it.

Also, I don't think my experience was uncommon. I had an NES growing up, but I never had a SNES. In fact, I missed out on the 16 bit era altogether. We got back in during the Playstation era. I had a few friends who had a similar fate. Videogames were expensive back then, and it wasn't weird to have a very small selection of games.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

whip posted:

Any episode recommendations?

Tokimeki Memorial is one of the funniest episodes out there. It's not a traditional episode, since it is only Arino playing the game, but my god, it will have you rolling on the floor a few times. However, because it isn't a typical, I wouldn't recommend it as your very first episode.

Basically, the episode is Arino's first episode after he gets married, and he's all ready to play a game called "Famicom Jump," but the staff instead begs him to play Tokimeki Memorial, since they want to learn all of his romantic secrets. Basically, Arino's tips are all basically the actions of a wanton psychopath.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

For the earlier seasons, enough of the show has been translated where it would be feasible to do one torrent for two seasons. As you get to the later seasons, there's a lot of leverage, but I'd guess I'd just keep the convention just to keep people sane. That way people can split up the torrent.

And maybe we should have a "Best of Arino" Torrent. You know, a torrent just for the episodes that we think someone getting into should watch.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

uPen posted:

Are you sure it wasn't 290 yen?

Remember, he was getting fresh fish for Arino, and you'd be surprise. I think because it is for TV, and because he was doing it for the boss, and because he's a big foodie, and because he's loving awesome, Abe was willing to spend that kind of money.

I mean seriously, Abe is awesome. Like he'll come to your house in the middle of the evening, cook you dinner, and then tell you to get back to playing your game and just watch in silence as you play and he drinks one of your beers.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Can we all agree that Inoko Max and Nakayama are tied for the top slot. I mean, Nakayama is so awesome, he just tries so hard, but it is clear that he isn't good on camera, which is what makes him great.

Here's a quick question: What did Inouye (Inoko Max) do during the Takeshi's Challenge Live Challenge that got such a negative reaction?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Corridor posted:

I don't like Nakayama. :( He's so awkward and shy, I used to be just like that and it's painful to watch. Even if he is kinda out of his shell now with the seminude wrestling and public singing. Sorry Nakayama.

See, the thing about Nakayama is that he just is terrible on camera, and yet, it is in a way that is actually endearing. Like during a live challenge, they are doing a sketch in which Arino is hiding behind a chalkboard, and nobody is supposed to be able to find him. They start airing, and they start with the sketch, and Abe is like "Where is Arino?" and Nakayama goes "He's right there." It's sort of endearing that he wasn't even aware that he was supposed to be on script, and just answered that question honestly.

But Inoko Max is my favorite, since he reminds me a lot of myself. He tries so hard to please, and yet just can't seem to get it right, but that's why we love him. His appearance in Bonanza Brothers is awesome. Arino really didn't want him to play the game at all.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

zari-gani posted:

Because I translated it and I'm Canadian and I gotta say, it was nice to actually know precisely how hot a place is for once. I don't know Fahrenheit at all and I'm always forced to Google convert F to C when watching American stuff so while I considered translating the temperature, I thought to myself "well if anyone really wanted to know, they could just Google it I suppose, but it's obviously very hot." Besides, we don't translate yen to dollars (except in that 24H compilation), km to miles, centimeters to inches in our translations... Is that bad? Serious question.

In terms of temperature, it's a losing battle. If you go with Fahrenheit, you'll have some people saying "But it makes no sense to me! Why are they wearing coats if it is 32 degrees out?" But if you use Celsius, us Imperialistic Americans will insist that you people put coats on when it is 32 degrees outside. We don't care that it might be equivalent to a warm summer day. Simply, it is our view of the world, and out view is correct, and you will adapt to meet our view. So honestly, I don't give a poo poo there. Either way, someone will be confused, angry, and upset, and imho, I think it's just fine if you use celsius. Even though I will wonder why they don't have coats on.

In terms of money - I think a nice thing to do would just put in parenthesis how much it would cost in American dollars. Just so that way we have a sense of how expensive it is, because with Yen, you'll see something be like 100,000 yen, and I know it isn't as much as $100,000 would be, but it seems sort of meaningless to me. Obviously, in the Tamage segments, it's not needed, since I don't need to know how much 100 yen is worth. But when they start bringing out rare games or systems and talking about their values, it would make it a lot easier for people around the world to understand without having to go to Google and look up conversions.

abraxas posted:

USE THE METRIC SYSTEM! It's much more logical too! But that's a discussion for another time.

I've agreed to never have this conversation again. Pretty much, the way I look at it is that both sides just can't understand how their system doesn't make sense to someone. If I say it is 76 F degrees outside, and I am 25 feet away from the beach, that makes perfect sense to American. But if a British person were to tell me that it is 32 C degrees outside and they are 8 meters away from the beach... I'd just be confused as poo poo. Pretty much, Fahrenheit makes sense if you base it on the idea of human tolerance. 0 degrees is about as cold as you can take, and 100 degrees is about as hot as you can take. Anything over 100 is too loving hot, and anything below 0 is too loving cold.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

I dont think this would scare anyone off. Youve been able to pick and choose what files you can download out of a torrent for years now. Maybe store everything in seasonal folders just to keep everything tidy, and you can update the master torrent with new files as needed.

You and I know about that. But remember, you got a lot of people out there.

Remember, one giant torrent would be incredibly inundating to a lot of people. Not only would they see a huge file for their Arino goodness, but that would also be a ton of episodes. They wouldn't know exactly where to start. Where as if we split it up in a sort of logical way, they could say "I'm more interested in these episodes, so I'll download them now and check out the other stuff."

Honestly, I can't think of anyone who wouldn't download the series because they had to click on multiple links, but I can think of a lot of people who would say "Wow... that's an 80 gig file!"

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

Oh please? Is it Go by Train!? I mean, what's not to anticipate with that one? In some regards, I don't want to see it, because that means this image I have in my head of Arino sitting in his chair, wearing a conductor's hat, and making train noises probably isn't anywhere near reality...

And because of that, I suddenly have lost the urge to live.

I hate to quote myself, but this was from far back when we were guessing what episode was going to be translated, and as a joke, I said this one.

And now I see that my image was correct! Does this mean I can see into Arino's mind? Honestly, I am excited, and I thank you, Zari-gari, again, for translating my dreams into English from Japanese.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Holy poo poo! I just realized who Beat Takeshi is! He's the guy from Sontatine - aka, the only reason you would have to buy the Zatoichi movie on DVD. It was a bonus disc, and it was a really good but really stark and dark movie. He plays a troubled mob boss.

Pretty much, he was a comedian who turned into a serious film maker, and if you can find Sonatine, watch it.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

So, what has been the hardest episode to translate so far? Is it games with a lot of text, or are there some episodes that have more obscure terminology or are tougher to put into English?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

I am also of the opinion that calling her ugly was overdoing more than any fat jokes. At least they compliment those with having her eat something but where the hell did that only good-looking women comment come from?

He's just poking fun at her, since she started shaking her head in a manner that you would see in a shampoo commercial or something.

Like, a lot of his comments sound more like jokes that you would say to someone you were comfortable with. They are the kind of insults that you throw around with your friends because that's what people do. We insult each other, especially the ones we are close with.

Obviously, that "only beautiful women" thing was light-hearted. He was just poking fun at a mannerism of hers like he pokes fun at Nakayama's shyness or Inoue's... well, just being Inoue, or everyone else.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

zari-gani posted:

Still, that's a very, very miniscule issue. The translations look fine.

Wouldn't that even be more of a localization issue, if anything.

Now, I'm curious. How do translations usually work. Does someone first go through and make a "literal" translation, as in, this is what is said, and then someone else goes through and makes sure that it can be understood by Americans, or is it just a process that happens as you start pounding these things out.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Bocc Kob posted:

Why even bother making DVDs if you don't put all the stuff on them? :argh:

Is it a cost thing or do they figure most fans of the show record every episode and this is more of a collectible to support the show?

Licensing, licensing, licensing.

Pretty much, they need a license to show content from the games, and chances are the arcade games fall under that (it'd be interesting to see if they only highlight arcade games from companies they have a license for).

Next, a lot of segments make use of licensed music, which means they would have to negotiate the use of music for the DVD segments, and this can be tricky and expensive, especially for a foreign release of a cult TV show.

Finally, the American company can only release what they are given. Fuji just isn't selling the unedited episodes, which means that in America, you just have to make due with what you got.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

So I guess that means they are redubbing it, and hopefully that means they'll be redoing the graphics on the show.

Frankly, I'm just curious - for the episodes you've already done, are you going to retranslate them from scratch, or are you just going to improve what is already completed?

Anyway, this is awesome news. See, people. A passion for Arino can get you a loving job! Although in the case of one Japanese porn company...

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Oh man, I just got that game too. Why does Kid Arino ask me if I'm single?

Also, I love that Haggleman comes out one day before I was born. In fact, I just learned that Takashi's Challenge came out on the day before I was born. It makes me warm inside to know that right as I entered this world, a bunch of Japanese children were probably thinking "what the gently caress is this game?"

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I like Arino a lot but sometimes you really do want to scream at the dude.

Seriously, it drives me crazy when he decides the best solution is to tank through the damage. He does it over and over again until he can just barely tank through and then has crap health. I just want to scream at him to DODGE.

My favorite thing he ALWAYS does it put down the controller after beating the first form of a boss. If a boss has multiple forms, he will always celebrate, put down the controller, and then suddenly realize, wait, the game's not over!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

zari-gani posted:

At the same time, this won't be hobby translating. It'll be an actual job and a product people are gonna spend their hard-earned money on. So just as you said, I'm more than likely going to comb over the lines over and over to make extra sure my translation is 100%. Because of that, I'll likely end up spending MORE time on them.

Well, your previous work has been great so far. The work that everyone's done for SA has been professional quality. Unlike the other translations, it seems like you people actually care about the show and know how to translate things. I'm sure you'll knock these DVDs out of the park.

That, or go crazy, and just romanize the Japanese speech, and include at the top of the screen "Translator note: this phrase means (x)."

Just according to kaiku.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

It's obviously a joke. First off, there's nothing online about this group at all. I just spent a few minutes doing a Google search, and this is the only thing this group has done. Secondly, the errors that they made seem like a parody of bad errors. For instance, there's one point where there's a line of dialog that's too long to appear in one subtitle, so the conclusion appears above the original subtitle. Then there's an incredibly long translator note during Abe's cooking segment. And then translating the song lyrics while getting all the rest wrong?

Bravo good people. Bravo.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Enrico Dandolo posted:

Gator: Oh no, an April Fool's Joke! I must save the thread!

*elevator dings, Gator bursts through door to the GCCX thread offices*
IT'S OBVIOUSLY A JO-- oh, oh no! I was [like ten hours] too late! They're all goners, all dead! The fools... THE FOOLS!

When will people learn that April Fools is nothing to fool around with? How many good people had to suffer to learn that? Oh well...

At the very least, want to get the Underdogs back together?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

It's funny: the Mystery of Atlantis will be translated by all 3 major groups: Kotaku, TV Nihon, and now someone from the SA clique. When you have a free moment, I'd be really interested to hear how they all differ from each other and any insight you can give on the approach of each.

Also, that episode was an amazing episode that highlighted everything that made the show great, especially the teamwork of Toujima and Arino.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

zari-gani posted:

Anyhoo there's no such thing as a perfect translation since it can be so subjective, especially when it involves two radically different languages. That's why I'm always glad/relieved whenever people are appreciative of my translations. It honestly helps to get some reassurance.

Isn't it also harder with subtitles since you also have to condense everything down to a point where I can read it at the pace that it is being spoken?

Also, what does the CX stand for?

Also, I think I found a great tag-line for any Game Center SEX fansubbing.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I wonder if those blog posts are basically just Arino staying in that character of the hapless host of some low-rent television show that's just designed to torture him.

Also, for extra insanity, click on the 415 link. It's nothing but Arino posting things that relate to 415, whether it's a shot of a computer clock taken at 4:15, or a road sign that says 415, or god knows what. It's kind of scary. I don't want to know what 415 means to Arino.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Well, now we know what we must fax over to Arino next live challenge.

"Arino, we are getting this fax from America."
"Wow, even kids there love me. How old is he?"
"26."
"Oh..."

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhV4whO0Xps

Well, aside from Jerry's voice, I think they actually did a decent job with the dub. Of course, it's got to be pretty difficult to translate such a jargon heavy show into another language, so I imagine some of those scripts end up pretty different.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Guys, I just had the worst dream ever.

Seinfeld was the new AD. He walked up to Arino and said "You can't start playing! You didn't blow! If you don't blow, you can't go!"

Later on, Arino kept falling off platforms, and Seinfeld was going on about "slippage." The less said the better.

I think this might be the end of the derailing. I think we need to rerail. Is it rude to end a derail without rerailing it yourself? Does mixing the derail with the rerail get us back on the rail, or does it just create a further derail.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

GidgetNomates posted:

I want some really awful group to sub My Neighbor Seinfeld so I can watch it with really blunt literal subtitles. I can only imagine that being translated into Japanese then translated back by someone like that would be fantastic.

"These pretzels give me great thirst!"

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

zari-gani posted:

Inoue, university

Oh good god. What exactly in the hell is he doing here? It's like some bizarre sort of a... I have no clue, but I think he's trying to be a stripper or a female pop star from the 90s or something.

You know, I'd be curious to see how Abe became a camera man if he is apparently a really good chef.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

If you watch the Cannes trip, they are showing footage from the original pilot for "Retro Game Master," which featured full production values, meaning they redid the overlays as well as dub the original soundtrack.

And then Kotaku got it, and whoever did their translation decided not to redo all that stuff.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

zari-gani posted:

Whenever I browse photos uploaded by GCCX staff members there's always a bunch of Inoue pics. He must love the camera.

Or the camera loves him. I mean, look at him, how can you not want to have a picture of him. There's a certain je-ne-se-quois to him, though it probably has something to do with his awkwardness.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Here's my top 5:

Tokimeki Memorial: Simply, this is one of the funniest episodes out there just because Arino becomes a complete psychopath throughout his playthrough, as he tries to balance multiple girls, has messed up reasons for everything he does, and just generally plays a cool casanova.

Sonic the Hedgehog: A good starter episode since it is a game we are all familiar with, and it is incredibly funny too. Especially with the introduction of a new AD who's not quite ready for the camera, Arino is in top form.

Castlevania 3: My favorite moments on the show are the moments when the team comes together and works hard at trying to beat a game. The show really does a great job of translating that joy over to the viewer, and seeing two friends go at it is always worthwhile. And of course, when the game is incredibly difficult and Inoko Max is involved, well, what more do you need?

Umihara Kimwase: I like this episode a normal amount.

Quiz! The Feudal Lord's Ambition: The quiz episodes are always a blast, but I like this one the best just because it shows us how much of a total pervert Arino can be. And also, more room for ABE!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

More episodes is always a good thing. Heck, you could give me half an episode, and I'd be pleased.

Tyma posted:

Ero-Game Centre SEX is no longer at the top of my fansub wishlist!

Well, ever since we found about "My Neighbor Seinfeld," I would assume that this was everyone's reactions.

Although, actually, that game looks absurd. I don't think there's anyway that I could possibly piece together the logic behind that. "Let's be a racing game, no let's be a sidescrolling game, maybe we should get out of the car."

Oh well, I'll just revisit an old joke to restore sanity.

"Hello Jerry-san."
"Greetings from Mount Newman."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

That's why I love Toujima. He was always willing to take whatever torture Arino needed him to take just so Arino could beat a 20-year-old game.