Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Heti posted:

I love the clips they play in between segments too. Arino doing American things like "Sitting on a bench reading a newspaper" and "leaning against a wall" and "walking down a desert road".

It's like they understand the life of Americans perfectly. These are daily activities for me, and frankly, I'm proud that Arino could adapt to American culture so perfectly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

xamphear posted:

It's probably along the lines of how we wanted to see those My Neighbor Seinfeld episodes re-re-translated back into English and subtitled. The fact that it's of really poor quality will make it even funnier.

It's also like that Monty Python and the Holy Grail extra where they took the Japanese dub and subtitled a few scenes to highlight how crazy it had become. Now, they were looking for a sacred sake cup.

If the subtitles are to be believed.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

edit: Maybe it's just the last few eps I watched, but there seems to be a trend to translating things from games with established english versions rather than being more literal.
In Wrecking Crew the antagonist was clearly being called Blackie by the announcer, yet we got text calling him 'Foreman Spike'.
I noticed the same sort of thing with most of the bosses in Rainbow Islands.
Pedantic, but I don't think it's necessary. Maybe just put "Blackie (Foreman Spike in english release)' on the first mention then keep on with the japanese name.

The big question you have to ask yourself is "what's being lost?" 99% of the time, nothing is changed since it's basically an A for B type deal. And frankly, after 25 years with the American names, those are a lot more natural to me than the Japanese name, especially for the sake of "accuracy" or "literalism." There's the occasional game where yeah, you have to use the Japanese name just because it bears no resemblance to the American game, like Masked Ninja Hanamaru (which is the Japanese original of Yo! Noid). And keep in mind, for the most part, the average person will have no idea what the narrator is saying, so why worry if there is that discrepancy (I didn't hear the narrator saying "Blackie" for instance).

And in the case of Wrecking Crew, I can understand why you might not want to use the name "Blackie."

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Here's another one for the music used in the show. For the Capcom episode in Season 01, here's the song that plays over the narration about Capcom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc2hq3vbO7w

Yes. It is an choral and orchestral version of "World" by the Bee Gees. It's actually kind of funny when you think about how depressing the song is.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

PkerUNO posted:

I mean, who doesn't know what St II is, right? Right?

Oh, is that for the SuFami? Where I can play Rockman X?

It's a shame that they were the ones that did the Season 1 Super Mario challenges translation. That really highlights how stupid their policy was. I mean, that episode was awesome, especially when that kid schooled Arino is Super Mario Brothers 2... I mean, Doki Doki Panic, but it's hard to follow when you hear things like "nononoko."

pnumoman posted:

That's what professional subtitles do; they sacrifice accuracy for the sake of being easily understandable to the target audience.

I would argue that you are not sacrificing accuracy. And frankly, especially when you are talking about languages that are incredibly different, like English and Japanese, there's no way to make a 100% accurate translation that is readable. Translation is an art, not a science.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 27, 2012

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

He was referring to episode 10 and 11 featuring the game known as Super Mario Bros 2 in Japan and Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels elsewhere. If he was going to criticize TVN for their crappy work he should have used a mistake they actually made instead of making one up.

Just so you know, that was actually a joke. It was meant to illustrate how little some people know when they try to pass as experts. I guess I should leave the comedy up to Arino.

Random Stranger posted:

Actually when we get to episode 15 we're probably going to use Doki Doki Panic as the title. It doesn't make sense to call it Super Mario 2 when Mario isn't in the game.

That seems like the best solution. It's like Street Fighter 1010 (or St 2010?) or Masked Ninja Hanamaru, since you can't really ignore that the games are so completely different that it would just be easier to gloss it and hope for the best.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 28, 2012

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

There's a few reasons I can come up with against dubbing.

The first would be it would just look and sound weird, since you would now have this disembodied voice who is trying to be Arino.

Secondly, it would be difficult to capture that barely pieced together feel of the show. There's a certain spontaneity that comes across in their performances, and when you remove that, it would just be grating rather than charming.

Thirdly, backing audio. I don't know if they still have the individual sound elements around, but basically, if you were to do a full dub, you would need to have access to the game sound effects channel, otherwise, it's going to be a very quiet show. That, or you would always have the Japanese underneath. Not like that stopped the Kotak version from doing that...

Plus, I guess they are going for an Iron Chef feel.

It would have helped the Kotak dubs if the announcer spoke English like he was speaking English. There's so many awkward phrases, and bad lines, and awkward pauses that it really doesn't even sound like English when you hear it.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

If you think it's bad now what are you guys going to do in six months when we're completely caught up?

(Disclaimer, we won't be completely caught up in six months. By my math it will be closer to eight.)

Well, that's when we start dubbing the episodes. That, or translating the subtitles back to Japanese. And then retranslating. Or making an American version where the American Arino just curses at the screen for an hour, and we learn all the various ways "gently caress" can be combined with other words. You won't expect "loving gently caress-burgers with gently caress ketchup and gently caress mayo, but gently caress the mustard."

If we dub it, I call Abe.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

I was talking about the DVD exclusive but I hadn't heard that Tsuruoka was that unpopular. Inoko MAX screws up all the time, though, and they keep inviting him back...

As far as I can remember, Inoko Max never pushed Arino backwards. If anything, he just sort of kept Arino right where he was, but it was entertaining.

I'm guessing it's the sleeping on the job part that could really hurt the most. You got to remember, these guys are working probably a 16-18 hour day during the day of the shoot, and everyone is tired and cranky, and this guy is taking a nap.

So aside from helping Arino, what exactly are an AD's duty? Do they do anything with the production of an episode?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Ah, so it's like any entry job in the entertainment industry. A lot of bitch work, but you got to pay your dues. At least, you get a shot at appearing on TV with a little regularity.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

zari-gani posted:

According to the staff he's the "only person to ever make Toujima angry."

I can't imagine Toujima getting angry. I can imagine that he's one of those people who is really nice and genial, really understanding and forgiving, and maybe a little lacking in the spine department, but when you get him angry, all hell breaks loose and you do not want to be that guy. I really wonder what it was that upset him so much.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

zari-gani posted:

This is AD Yamada:

Only seen in Season 0, episode 1 -- the Taito showcase. Helped Arino with the shooting stage in Takeshi's Challenge. Last seen in the staff credits of Season 0 episode 4 (Sakura Wars) and vanished after that. Toujima is dubbed "the first AD" for some reason. The Japanese fandom refers to him as "The Phantom AD."

Well, if your first day on the job was to play "Takeshi's Challenge," then I think disappearing is a perfectly reasonable response.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

He's played easier games than Sonic 1 and those are always the most frustrating episodes.

During Super Mario World, I was yelling at him a few times because his play style seemed to be "Here's an enemy, let me run directly into it." He does that a lot, instead of trying to win, he tries to power through and hopes he survives. But that's part of what makes him Arino.

And then there's a puzzle game, and he's figuring out these complex puzzles like they are nothing.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Why would they edit out the Pokemon stuff though? I mean, Pokemon's a really popular franchise, so it's not like they are talking with somebody about something nobody's heard about?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

It seems to me that there's a certain insularness in the fandoms of foreign media that decides that impenetrability is a virtue. I hate that that attitude.

I think it comes from this desire to be part of something special and to actually get it. You know, not many grown-men in their twenties appreciate Gundam, but God drat, I get Gundam! It's a way of making it seem more elite than it really is. It's the same reason why some people, whenever they have control of the iPod, will find the most obscure and noisy poo poo that they can and subject everyone to it, even though nobody else likes it at all. It's their way of showing off how cool they are, even if it is just to themselves.

So all those Japanese phrases and all that, they are just a way to show off how much cooler you are compared to those masses that don't get honorifics, Japanese curse words, or anything else.

However, on the TV-Nihon forums, someone brought up Zarigari's post on the subtitle quality of episode 11, and the subtitler said "Whoops! Japanese geography is not my strong point," so to be fair, they aren't terrible or horrible people.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Hopefully, this just means that demand is so great that the only option was to push back the release because they just couldn't print them all up in time and they did not want any fans to feel like they are loved less than other fans.

That's my story, and that's the story I choose to believe. I don't care how common this kind of thing is in reality.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Hey guys, fresh from Producer Kan... Arino is currently on location in "Asia" and is eating in a restaurant:

Isn't he always on location in Asia? That's like me saying "I'm on location in North America.

Obviously, I know he means the mainland. Which brings up a question: does Japan see themselves as separate from Asia. I don't know how to really explain it, but perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Jimmy Colorado posted:

What's even more funny is "salaryman" itself is a colloquialism. While just about everyone reading this thread knows that salaryman = suit-wearing businessman, it's not a word that has deep penetration for folks who speak English and aren't fans of Japanese TV shows.

What I'm saying is TV-Nihon should have had a translator's note for "salaryman". :colbert:

Excuse me, but when they say it is "short" for, how do we know which meaning of short they were using. We need a translator note for the translator note.

We might also want to include a note every time they use a translator note just to explain what it is, so that way I don't think it is part of the dialog.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

GidgetNomates posted:

Haha yeah I was actually planning to say something about this in my post but I forgot. You're already being ~*~culturally accurate~*~ by saying salaryman. Ryman is just ridiculous.

But we're not capturing what is being said in Japanese. It's like, if we referred to "SuMari" as "Super Mario," we might as well change it to a dramatic show about a doctor who operates on patients by playing videogames... and when he doesn't beat the game, the patient dies!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

It's interesting how we don't have a "Crap game" genre in America, given that we have poo poo like Big Rigs Racing and Extreme PaintBrawl to our name, games so bad that they forgot to program in the AI. But I think part of that is we were shielded from a lot of the more interesting bad games. I mean, all of those Acclaim movie games were boring for the most part, where as Super Monkey Adventure took boring to a whole new level.

It's interesting too to watch Arino play some of these bad games because it seems like a lot of American and European videogame personalities just take to screaming angrily and cursing at bad games, and honestly, it's rarely funny. He's just so laid back about the crap he puts up with.

rdbbb posted:

Delay is official -- "underestimated demand." :cool:

Wow, for a change, I was actually correct!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Corridor posted:

So I've been reading The Hunchback of Notre Dame and oh god I'm like 200 pages in, and maybe 50 pages worth of stuff has happened. The rest is Victor Hugo raving on about his enormous boner for achitecture.

Anyway, I bring it up because this edition's translation reminds me of TV Nihon. On like every page there's something that has been left in the original French, with the English translation after it in brackets. I'm not even talking about names and titles and mottos and quotes, I mean just regular terms and concepts. Sometimes they don't even bother translating it and just leave that poo poo there IN FRENCH so you have to guess. It's so annoying. Just write the goddamn translation into the narrative and stop jarring me out of the loving story. I know that there's not always a 100% exact English equivalent, but god loving dammit if you really cannot incorporate the intended meaning into English somehow, then your deplorable lack of imagination and inituation should be keeping you the hell out of fiction. The entire thing just smacks of "Hey guys I'm way the gently caress more learned than you, and no one could possibly experience the PURITY of Hugo's intended meaning without seeing the phrase written here in a language you can't read because if you could you wouldn't be reading the loving English translation".

I always use "Madame Bovary" as the perfect example of why translator notes are a terrible thing.

Flaubert, the author of Madame Bovary, was a perfectionist. He would spend hours debating the placement of a comma. So, the text in its original French is an exacting work, painfully constructed and is a masterpiece of the French language.

Yet, somehow, they are able to translate it into English without having to throw in random French terms here and there (there may be a few, but they refer to proper titles and names and stuff like that). If Madame Bovary doesn't need translator notes to be understood, then your anime doesn't need notes.

I noticed when I was watching Cowboy Bebop last night, in the episode "Ballad of the Fallen Angels," the subtitles has Faye referring to Mao as "Mao-taijin," and underneath in white it says "Sir Mao." I'm just kind of confused as to why they didn't keep it Sir Mao. Is there an implication with "taijin" that would be changed with "sir." Of course, in the first episode, they can't decide on how they want to refer to the dish "bell peppers with beef" in the subtitles. First, it is in English with the Chinese name underneath in white, and then after that, it's either the Chinese name or the English name. An odd choice, I must say.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

Just watch it in English. Problem solved.

Excuse me, but what would you rather do? Watch it in English with the voice of some guy who just does a lot of Anime (and the dub is good, mind you), or in Japanese with the voice of Sebastian and the Genie from Aladdin?

Yeah. This guy is the Japanese voice for Spike! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dyarodHTW8

And even more impressive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK-JprzQuiU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

Neither of those examples make me think he'd make a good Spike. You complained about several things not present in the dub (which is good) so the solution seems obvious.

Well, the "taijin" thing was a question. The only complaint was that the subtitles refer to the "bell peppers with beef" thing two different ways. The voices are all pretty good in both versions.

And those examples showcase how good a voice actor he is. You'd be surprise at the range that a good voice actor has.

Der Shovel posted:

Madam Bovary also presumably had a skilled translator (or even several). Most animes do not. They have some guy who knows some Japanese, knows some English and then just converts from one to the other. Proper translation isn't making sure the words match, it's that the tone and message of the material match. And that's not always easy.

Well, I think in bad translations, it's very much an adherence to what are the words as opposed to what is being said. Chances are, you Hunchback translator felt that presenting those French words in English would lose the meaning or that they have a certain je-nei-se-qua about them. It can be tough too, because there are a lot of French sayings that work their way into English. And when you deal with ancient languages, that is when poo poo gets fun. There's been holy wars over that!

Oh well. Sometimes we just have to accept bad translations. C'est la vie.

Oh, it just occurred to me: when was the translation done. I know back in the early and mid 1900s, it was popular to just throw in French words and phrases into English. It gave a facade of culture. In fact, George Orwell actually criticized the practice.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 11, 2012

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Hokuto posted:

The real underlying problem with forced foreign terminology, at least in fan works, is that it's done not because of artistic license or editorial choice, but because the translator lacks the native linguistic ability to think of anything better.

In short, "Preservation of flavor" is a crutch for people who write at grade school levels of English and have never heard of a thesaurus. Chances are that the rest of their translation is just as shoddy.

Oh dear God, a thesaurus would be the worst thing to give these people. That's how you would end up with: "Oh heartthrob deity, a thesaurus would be the most deficient corporeality to administer to these proletariat." If you give a bad writer a thesaurus, they won't understand the inherent differences in meaning between so-called synonyms and you end up with sentences that are impossible to parse. Given that these guys are lazy, they won't do the research to make the thesaurus a useful tool.

I think translators have to accept that the act of translation is both a mechanical process, as in the basic act of taking one word in one language and rendering it as the same word in another, as well as a creative process. Because so much is lost when you reduce it to a mechanical. It is the difference between capturing what a person says and what a person means.

That's why when you read two different translations by two good translators, you can find huge differences because they made two different judgments. To this day, the debate ranges on about which translation to use for the Iliad and the Odyssey.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Three-Phase posted:

"TL Note: I am a virgin"

TL Note: A virgin is a nice guy who women ignore because he's so kind and friendly and has an extensive collection of ANIMES which he subtitles. Also, he provides them with CDs of his favorite songs hand selected for each girl based on his observations that he keeps in a notebook.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

The joke is that they are all terribly written.

The best way to put it would be something like "You've heard how the mafia has been abducting children here?" or something like that. The bottom two are really wordy and phrase it in this hard to parse way. Like, yeah, I can understand it, but it takes a little bit of time.

Would Japanese grammar have it presented closer to what's in the subtitles?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

zari-gani posted:

I'm interested in this Legend of River King challenge (what should we call it? Only two of the Kawa no Nushi Turi games came out in English... Legend of River King 2 is KnNT 4, and Legend of the River King is KnNT 3, so... Legend of River King Zero??). I love the more unorthodox challenges. Here's some gameplay footage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzSm13voe4c
ETA: Three games, not two.

But then, what is KnNT 1? Legend of the River King -1?

I think it'd be better to call it "Legend of the River King 2" and then maybe due that thing you do when the game has a vastly different title, and put NA: Unreleased or something like that.

Edit: As for the French stuff:

For a while, it was en vogue to put random French phrases into your work. By being as French as possible, you created this facade of high culture, and anyone who did not understand, well, they were unimportant. Thankfully, such gaucherie is now seen as a faux pas.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 13, 2012

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

We can just plug our ears and pretend that the Game Boy games are the spin offs if anyone complains. :v:

That's not the right answer! The correct and best answer is always "You dare question my reasoning? I am the awesome translator, and you're lucky I decided not to represent 'I'm scared' as 'kwai!'"

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

How can we forget the best title of them all:

River King 2 Wet, 2 Slippery.

And I'm going to stop here.

Jesus Christ, what the gently caress is wrong with me?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I just can't imagine an RPG episode really being worth watching. They would take too long, and they wouldn't provide enough of a unique challenge. There would really be no tension (not as in energy) because Arino would never really be tested. Also, the games would be too long, thus limiting the amount of time Arino would have to really be interesting since things would have to keep moving.

In the adventure games, part of why they work is that Arino is able to riff on the scenes, and they are short enough to allow for plenty of that. And watching Arino cheat through FF8 wouldn't be enjoyable.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I can't figure out what they mean by "For out the difficult challenge." I'm an English major! I should be able to translate bad grammar, but this! This is two prepositions right next to each other! That's just grammatical madness!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I think that makes you the number one fan, in the world. Not only are they using an image you drew for what could have been an uneventful visit as a design for a bunch of their merchandise, but they hired you to draw something for the show, translate one of their songs, and then when the local DVD release came around, you got hired to translate that!

And you live in a country where you technically can't legally watch the show!

Madam, you are la numero un admirateur.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

redmercer posted:

H's and F's, L's and R's, 'u's popping up where they shouldn't: There likely wasn't a single letter from the English alphabet on his cue cards.

He makes a few weird mistakes here and there. I know next to nothing about Japanese, so I can't really say whether or not he was reading Roman letters or not, but it seems possible.

I noticed that Arino drops a lot of the articles. For instance, "Retro game master is hottest TV show in Japan NOW," or "take a look this," and a few other instances. He obviously makes a reading error when he says "I can called." He changes "in" for "of," and I don't know what he did to the word "join," it sounds like "say."

But even so, he does a really good job at pronouncing English. You don't need the subtitles to understand what he's saying since it actually sounds like English, heavily accented, and missing the rhythm and flow of course, but it sounds like English, and not just a random string of syllables that resembles the words we use every day.

I just love how he switches to Japanese, and how he goes from sounding like the worst actor in the world to a very charismatic TV host.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

This seems as good a thread to ask as any: but I'm really confused about the three writing systems that Japanese has. Is there any clear cut rule that lets you know when to use kanji, hiragana, and katakana? I guess I have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of using kanji, which requires you to memorize thousands of characters when you have two relatively simpler alphabets at your disposal. I'm guessing it's partially that's just the way it always was, and a matter of saving space since one kanji can represent a lot of syllables.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

OrochiKiyo posted:

The importance of kanji in writing is that Japanese has TONS of homonyms. Kanji gets the meaning across without having to puzzle out the intentions of the writer.

Thank you. I would have had no clue about that.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

So it's a Holiday in Cambodia?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

xamphear posted:

Cambodia is one of those places where I know what it is when someone mentions it, but if you asked me to make a list of Asian countries from memory, I would never come up with it.

Well, Cambodia just isn't on many Westerner's radars. Like, I'm aware of Pol Pot and the killing fields, and Nixon's illegal firebombings, but aside from that, it's just sort of a country that's in the southern area, I believe next to Vietnam.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

the least weasel posted:

No, but not enough unhelpful to want to get into a weird rant about it and vote it 'unhelpful'.

I think I will also not purchase this DVD because I don't want to financially support an endeavour like Kotaku's.

I think to sum up the DVD box's issues really quickly:

Some people are going to be upset about things that nobody can change, and will no accept that at some level you can only buy what the owner is selling. In America, there will NEVER be an official release of a full, unadulterated episode of Game Center CX with all the various segments since Fuji, due to licensing issues, are just offering the DVD cuts to buyers.

Also, while it's easy to hate Kotaku, they really didn't have too much to do with it, and aside from promotion, I have no clue what they were responsible for. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't directly responsible for the crappy translation and the bad dubbing (no would I be if they were). But, they didn't edit the episodes. They didn't make the changes. They just didn't promote it.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

So when it comes to Dragon Ball, I guess that will be a rare instance where the GCCX subs will use the Japanese name, since more people know what Dragon Ball is than remember what Dragon Power was.

Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Of course Arino's signature would turn into a star at the end. It's like he has to flaunt his celebrity.

But in all seriousness, that's awesome. You earned that. Further proving that you are the number one fan in the world.