Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Awesomonster posted:

Game tunes that get stuck in your head, you say? I pretty regularly get the Spelunker music stuck in my head and frankly I couldn't be happier about that.

Since I never played that game, the first thing that I'm reminded of is that Arino sang a song to that tune. Which episode was that again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

God bless TV-NIHON, without them I would have never seen this

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

That's actually a mistranslation. The word that they translated as "naked" is better translated as "undressed" since you can be wearing underwear, a bathing suit, or just not be wearing a shirt. So Arino wasn't going for a "naked" Samus, he was going for a Samus without her suit on.

In complete fairness it's the kind of thing I'd miss if I didn't have a few books on common errors in Japanese usage.

That makes a lot more sense since even at the end, it's like "Here's the naked footage" and I'm wondering "did Japan get a different version of the game or something?" before they just show the normal bikini footage.

Unfortunately, it's way funnier to think that Arino is gunning for a naked Samus the entire time only to be met with disappointment.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Plasquatch posted:

Devil's advocate time:

1. If it wasn't for Kotaku, the Kacho in USA event might not have happened.

2. You are all acting like Gawker themselves produced the official (terrible) English versions (which gives you license to turn this thread into a KOTAK hate-fest). Fuji made them; Gawker just "aired" them. I'll admit that even I wanted to punch Kotaku when I saw their unique interpretation of the Atlantis no Nazo episode. But the fact is that "Retro Game Master" existed long before Gawker showed any interest. Hate the lovely dubs, and hate Kotaku, but don't hate Kotaku because of the lovely dubs.

3. Don't act like this is a magical :filez: pass. Has anyone discussed the possibility that someone else has picked up the rights?

(Item 2 edited to correct massive misinformation on my part.)

What was the "unique interpretation" of the Atlantis no Nazo episode? The original episode was pretty excellent.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

iastudent posted:

Check out the Hokkaido Serial Murders episode.

I thought I would love that episode, but it was not that good. As a baka American it was hard to keep track of all the names, and it seemed like there weren't very many intermission segments. There wasn't any exciting mystery solving either, I mean the plot was pretty terrible.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

zari-gani posted:

Another thing to keep in mind is different games were popular in Japan. Dragon Quest completely trumps Final Fantasy, and I'm pretty sure kids in North America didn't go so wild over Xevious.

That guy who said no to letting Arino play one of his 500 lives in Xevious, my god.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Mystic Mongol posted:

I'd love to see him do some modern games with the retro asthetic--Super Meat Boy, or La Mulana, or mayb eSpelunky.

Pity that's not really the format--given that he plays so many old (bad?) games, he has a unique viewpoint not shaped by nostalgia. It'd be interesting to hear his thoughts on more modern takes on the same genres.

Man, Spelunky would be perfect for the format of the show. They'd have a ton of great unique footage since he'd be playing a new dungeon every time, discovering new tricks, items, etc. He'd almost certainly try to steal or shoot the shopkeeper, too.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Why do they keep featuring a lot of the same games in the "1985" etc segments? I swear I've seen Formation Z like 4 times by now.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Someday I will see the episode where Arino challenges such "strange" Western games like Comix Zone. It must be really odd for him to play through that game left to right.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

joek0 posted:

I hope to see the Megaman 1 episode get translated soon. All the female AD Takahashi epiosoded are subed or in the process of being subbed(Waagan Land). Megaman is the only one left. The Yelloe Devil fight in Rockman and Rockman 3 are 2 of my top GCCX moments.

Dude, you seriously have a problem concerning female AD Takahashi.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Corridor posted:

Speaking of which are there any Sasano vids left to be subbed?

Sasano...:allears:

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

I think all the ponkoron ringtone links have gone dead, can anyone please upload it :3:

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Oh man, I remember you guys mentioning this and then I forgot, this game is hilarious. From the pic, I hope it's got more SOS-type antics where he's yelling at Pacman for being stupid.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Snot Man posted:

Now, for SNES games I was inexplicably fond of as a kid, he should play Donkey Kong Country 3.

Inexplicably is right.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Pangalin posted:

Trying to coax a friend into the show without throwing her headfirst into a full episode, are there any (subbed) videos with just some compiled great moments or anything?

The full episode of S.O.S. should be sufficient for anyone :colbert:

^^^ The short challenges are mostly kind of awkward and not representative of the real show. Maybe Astro Robo SASA or DoorDoor would be good but otherwise I wouldn't recommend them. e; StarForce might also be good.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

Ecco is literally one of the most atmospheric and creepy game series' Ive ever played. It was a game about dolphins in the 90s, the height of our Dolphin Love phase. Clearly this game is gonna be happy light hearted fun times about how great dolphins are.

HAHA NOPE!

Also anyone who hasnt played it on Sega CD should really give it a try. The soundtrack really helps the atmosphere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D56v2jyiU7Y

Edit: Frustrated by Welcome to the Machine before? Imagine doing it when you are constantly ending up offscreen!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oraECJKJqR0

The music seems out of place for the graphics/gameplay, like someone is playing their own soundtrack on top of the game. I do have a soft spot for genesis music though. Ecco 2 especially has a ton of great tracks, who could replace songs like this?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk72RMv9d0s

The Ecco games are probably one of the only series where it's perfectly normal to feel both love and absolute fear at the same time.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

7c Nickel posted:

I've always liked watching him react to "strange" western games. For that reason, I'd love to see him take on The Ooze.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAVwFk8tD4I
Also a game with great music. Done by the same guy who did the soundtrack for Comix Zone.

Man no one I know has heard of The Ooze, I loved that game despite its crushing difficulty. The first level music is incredibly memorable.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

What's up with him getting sick all the time, anyway?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

zari-gani posted:

I'm finishing up my last re-translation of the original Kotaku 12 (I haven't received the necessary materials for Ninja Gaiden 2 or Shiren yet), the Mystery of Atlantis challenge. This is such a great, underrated episode. Considering it's the first challenge after the more gaming industry-focused Season 1, that's pretty remarkable.

It really is an awesome episode. It's one of those games that brings out the best in the show, like strategy meetings with the AD and extensive whiteboard schematics. All of those long, simple, repetitive, and difficult platformers (Mystery of Atlantis, 53 Stations, Adventure Island, Quest of Ki) make some of the best episodes.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

quote:

Fire Arino already and find another guy

:rolleyes:

Also, seems like you guys did a good job choosing the right episodes to release seeing as how the majority of comments on there are concerning translated eps.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Dang, that's twice now I missed those pins. I need to keep up with this thread more :(

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

I love TV-Nihon because it helps me learn more about my favorite country, the land of the rising sun (learned that one in college). They give me useful tidbits of information I can throw into everyday conversation; you have no idea how much I impress people with my knowledge of Japanese names for Mario enemies.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Getting it on Netflix would only be good if they kept the subtitles and Japanese audio options in there, unlike all the anime they show. Since dubs are terrible (argument incoming), it sucks.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

I was thinking that Since it's been two years that Takeda had just moved on. I'm glad to have her back.

I love the segments where they play some kind of game. Catch a Catch Copy and Barcode Gambler were terrific and it's a theme that they can keep running with. We'll know what they've come up with in a few days...

But Barcode Gambler is really boring. The fights drag on for literal minutes with basically no jokes or humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Is the Bio Warrior Dan Mega download link working for anyone else? It keeps getting to 2% and quitting on me. It also doesn't seem to be on NyaaTorrents.