Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Wow, now that's a pretty extensive OP. Nice one, Random Stranger.

Man, I can't wait to watch Arino play Arino's Challenge. Retro Game Challenge might just be my favorite DS game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Oh my god, the Bomberman episode is one of the best episodes I've seen in a while. Nearly everything they did in this one had me laughing. Seriously, threadgoers, if you haven't seen this one yet, get on that.

It made me look on Ebay for Bomberman NES carts. They're like 15 dollars. Arino, will you cause me to buy a game yet? I know a friend who actually bought S.O.S. because of the episode. He sure, uh... didn't quite like it. But Bomberman is fun!

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Ooh boy! I loved the Game Boy version of Kid Dracula when I was younger, but I've played all of one level of the Famicom version. Really can't wait to see this!

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Good lord. You guys really do go above and beyond when it comes to free entertainment for GCCX fans.

Time to grab this torrent and watch the Revenge Of The Return Of LASTO LEMMINGS

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Holy hell, zari-gani! That picture is amazing!

I'm kinda sad that I didn't tune into the stream sooner, I would have loved to see Arino's reaction. Ah well, guess I'll tune in now and watch him be a cool guy.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

MaskedTai posted:

Have any of you guys thought about doing a GCCX styled show/event/thing of your own?

The closest thing to this I've ever participated in was the old Retro Game Masters thread. A bunch of people trying to beat old hard video games without resorting to walkthroughs, asking the thread for hints if they absolutely need it.

A shame that it petered out, it was a really fun thing.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
All I know about Pilotwings is that because of Arino's 40th birthday bash, the rocketbelt music will be stuck in my head forever.

Still, another great one from you guys!

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Oh my lord the new episode was amazing.

Two continue fails AND the return of Toujima blocking the sun? Hell yes.

Another great effort, you guys. You treat us so well.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I beat Battletoads a few months ago and it was one of the most harrowing video game experiences I have ever put myself through. poo poo changed the way I think.

At least Arino got to play a slightly easier version, though that won't help much against the latter half of the game. Ecstatic to see this one.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Well I was going to go to bed early but there's no way in hell that's happening now.

Beating Battletoads was a harrowing experience that I'll never forget. I can't wait to see Arino's reaction.

..and that drawing is bloody fantastic.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Looking at this image is bringing the memories of frustration and anguish right back to me. Poor poor Arino.

I eagerly await his performance on the other levels of the game.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I was just wondering a few minutes ago if Arino had done a Donkey Kong Country game.

I'm all for seeing him take on the first game. That's my vote.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I remember buying an old issue of Game Player's Magazine with that ad in it, and smelling these things. 10 years later they don't have their smell.

Years later I got a copy of Earthbound that included the guide... with the scratch n sniff cards in the back. THOSE still smell. Hoo boy do they smell.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Just watched the River King episode. My god, they made a fishing game look appealing to me. Now I want to play one of the ones we got. I know we got one of the Game Boy Color ones, I remember reading about it in Nintendo Power around 2000 or so.

Also Arino accidentally cooking the pink salmon had me in stitches. There's Continue Fail and then there's Fish Fail. Oh man.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Ahahaha oh my god that video was brilliant. I pretty much got it right away.

Was that zari-gani reading the taglines?

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
While we're all boarding the swapnote train, I'd like to hop on it.

1435-4134-4951

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

PopeCrunch posted:

Add me back, 0748 2017 5632 :)

Consider yourself added.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
It's been two years? Wow. Happy anniversary, and thanks ever so much for the 77 hours of free entertainment you guys have put out for us.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Oh my god. Donkey Kong Country 2 is my favorite Super Nintendo game, and in the running for my favorite game of all. I'm so happy Arino is doing this. Can't wait to see it.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Random Stranger posted:

"Hmm... I have no idea what this game they're talking about is..." [Google]

:stare:

I was just about to make this exact post, but yes. I am horrified. :stare:

There is little justice in this world.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
The Shadow Of The Ninja episode was quite excellent.

Natsume :argh:

This thing looks hard as hell and part of me wants to try it now.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Man, this is a great day. Takes me right back to the winter of 2009 when I got the original Retro Game Challenge. I ended up clearing Cosmic Gate and Haggleman. In the cold. It was glorious and this is just as glorious.

Many thanks to all the folks who pitched in to make this possible. Dreams have come true.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

RadicalR posted:

You know what I would like to see? Arino playing Shovel Knight.

There are few things that I want to exist quite like this hypothetical.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Kanfy posted:

I assume Arino doesn't do the optional stages, I wonder how long it'd take him to clear Animal Antics.

Well, the preview for Part 3 at the end of Part 2 shows a Lost World stage, so you might get your wish.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Having heard of Sega Hard Girls, knowing Kibe wrote parts of it just makes so much sense.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Is it just me, or did that hidden Pong minigame look way harder than a Pong game has any right to be?

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
The deluge is real. At least this will distract me from the chipping away at Super Spy Hunter I have been doing since watching the episode!

Which Strider is this one, btw? I'd imagine it's the Genesis one, but I would be amused if they set Arino to playing the weird NES one.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Arino did R-Type? Oh man, fingers crossed that we get to see that one someday. Which version of the game did he do? PC Engine?

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I looked it up and apparently there is a continue code. Though that might only be for Kung Fu Heroes, the US release.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Trying to remember an episode here; I rewatched the TV-N SMB2 episode, and I don't recall which one has the follow-up where some whiz kid student comes in and finishes the rest of the game for him and Arino tries to take the credit.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Dr. Mario has been on GCCX before, though.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Kakaricho posted:

Next challenge is Wurm: Journey to the Center of the Earth.

This game made an impression on me back in the day when I rented it, and I have a real soft spot for it. Even if, admittedly, it's not actually all that great. Hope to see it someday.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I got a nice package in the mail today and it turned out some thoughtful human being had flung the Retro Game Master DVD set at me. I haven't seen any of these episodes since the Kotaku airings, so this will be quite fun. Although it eats into my consumption of Halloween-themed media, but Clock Tower is on there so... oh well.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Warm thoughts from Newfoundland, Canada. You're a charismatic entertainer and I hope you get well soon. Best wishes and abunai.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Jamesman posted:

It's my understanding that so many people skip work when a new DQ game comes out, companies will take a day off and treat it like a holiday because they have no other real choice. I think Squeenix has also been pressured to release the games on a weekend instead of mid-week?

IIRC it's less pressure and more Enix being like "well we should be responsible and put it out on weekends to minimize the country-wide loss in productivity"

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Vice Project Doom is a great game and this was a really good episode, great work again.

TORIIIIIIIIIIII

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I wish they did because it was my first one and I adore it, but years of Internet shade have made it about as unloved as Castlevania 2 for being a "black sheep" that dared to be different. I think more people appreciate it now than they did 15 years or so ago, though. Which is good!

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Help Im Alive posted:

That segment really makes SaGa sound extremely cool

SaGa is extremely cool, albeit esoteric as all hell and made by an absolute gonzo of a game designer. It gets even wilder when you know the specifics of the trick Kibe was talking about in this episode: you can use a chainsaw on God, who is the final boss, and instantly kill him.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I remember it from the first-ever translation of Final Fantasy V on the PS1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Great episode, took me back to playing the arcade version in college. I wasted lord knows how much money playing through the whole game with both guns just to have the thrill of dual wielding. Perhaps the memory was worth it.