Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

redmercer posted:

Let's get our pennies together and send them a copy of Action 52 with a note about the Cheetahmen. And maybe some taffy or something.

Cheetmahmen was a huge internet meme in Japan a few years ago, but I imagine clearing the rights to broadcast the game would be about as feasable as clearing the game itself :{

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
There's also the fact that the game was never released in Japan (all of it's popularity stems from youtube videos of the emulated game), and in the US, it was an unlicensed cartridge.

GCCX obviously have a pretty nice relationship with Nintendo, and I have no clue what kind of reaction they'd get, if they showcased an unlicensed game. I think they showed a ROM-hacked version of Gradius once, and had to blur out the entire screen while Arino was playing it?

vvvv : yeah, they seemed kind of naive about those carts, though? To the western viewers, they were obviously bootlegs, but to Arino, they were "mystery cartridges" ^^;

Tyma fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 5, 2011

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

It's finally happened guys. Next week's episode is apparently Battletoads. I really hope you guys choose to sub this when a good version becomes available.

Surely this is a pretty monumental challenge? Battletoads is probably the one game I want to see on GCCX, above any other.

I have to see this above all other episodes. I don't care if I have to :f5: for several months!

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Bonk's always been interesting to me, because as a kid it was always mentioned in UK gaming magazines as some sort of "mario killer", even though the games were never released in the UK.

Watching someone play this is going to be like finding out Santa isn't real, isn't it? :{

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Is the first boss of Kid Dracula the most unintentionaly offensive thing to ever appear in a Famicom game?

Please tell me it somehow got included in the US version.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

^^^^

It still looks like a Klu Klux Klan Wizard in both screenshots, though?

Crotch Bat posted:

I didn't notice this at all until you mentioned it. It does make the fact that it's called a wizard that much funnier.

It's ok. The first time he fought it, I didn't even realise it had a swastika tattoo'd on it's forehead.

Tyma fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 5, 2012

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

There've been many familiar songs on the way but those Bemani clips really made my day.

It was Ageha, not Starmine :japan:

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Kikka posted:

I like seeing Arino beat western games. It always makes me smile when the narrator describes games like Prince of Persia or Out of This World with "strange", "weird" or "unique".

I don't know how much it carries over in translation, but those are words they usually say to dance around the fact that the game is bad. When something is said to have "strange level design" or "unique controls", it's because the producers are grateful to the game companies for letting them broadcast footage of the game, and don't want to offend them by saying the controls are terrible, and the level design is illogical. They still have to explain what makes the game is hard, though.

I think Ikki, Takeshi's Cahellnge and Super Monkey Daiboken are the only games that they've ever refereed to as being "bad games", and even then they sort of celebrate them.

DiscoJ posted:

I'd love to see Arino try a Bemani game. Not as a 'main' challenge necessary but him being tasked with beating a mid-level song (or something) and training up for it over the course of a few weeks might be cool.

I don't think they can ever do a Bemani game as a challenge, because the musical rights for the older games are such a legal clusterfuck. Konami don't own half of the songs, and even the ones that were produced specifically for Bemani games have some legal issues with the lyrics that force Konami to either re-record or cull a random assortment of older songs with every new release.

It would be kind of weird seeing him play a music game where large sections of the song wheel are "out of bounds", because the songs can't be aired on TV. I'm not sure how much creative editing could get around that fact.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

rdbbb posted:

Yeah, it was weird, but to be clear, like the emulator stuff, it records inputs, not footage. You might remember programmable controllers from those days that advertised the same thing (so you could store move commands for Street Fighter or whatever)

It's really hard to believe that games from the era didn't use any random number generators at all to control enemy behavior, making every playthrough absolutely identical. Surely the RPGs of the time must have had randomly generated elements?

At what point did games start introducing random elements to enemy behavior? I'm thinking it was around the SNES era that "Artificial Intelligence" became a pop culture concept, and enemy behavior as became much more random, as designers tried to give the impression that their games were somehow trying to outwit the player.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

zari-gani posted:

Dang, is Gimmick that rare/expensive? The game appealed to me a lot when I watched that episode.

The NES version is incredibly rare, and easily worth over $500, The Famicom version is about $200?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Random realisation :

I'm not sure where in the old thread it was mentioned, but Gimmick, 53 Stations, Wing Of Madoola and Ikki are download titles on the Playstation Network, in the Playstation One section under the "Sunsoft Memorial" series.

I'm not sure how it plays, though? From what I remember, it's not just a Famicom ROM runing in an emulator, because the original cartridge used a sound mapper that was exclusive to that one game, and doesn't come accross very well in emulation?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

FredMSloniker posted:

Are there resources enough to build one? Admittedly, I'm not getting a good look at the controls, but they look like the sort of thing you could kitbash without an unacceptable loss of quality...

You're paying for the authenticity, though? The whole point of the CS games is that they feel like the arcade experience. I can't imagine playing Densha De Go on a kitbash controller would much more fun than playing it with a dual-shock :{

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

This is very important.

..Does Arino constantly point at the TV, whenever he sees a signal?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

zari-gani posted:

That page is definitely full of misinformation. Funny how it uses a GCCX clip as proof, because the 2-hour live challenge of that game dispels the hour-long-karaoke myth, among other things.

Can someone knowledgable and/or called RDBBB explain how the microphone implementation actually works? My understanding was that the Famicom microphone can only detect whether a noise is being made, or whether no noise is being made, in the way that a button is either pressed, or not being pressed? It can't actually analyse the sound being made in any way?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

rdbbb posted:

Not officially, but I always poke around livestream sites.

I hope you poke onto Twitter immediately afterwards.

Would it be a good idea for us to include "SA GCCX" on the faxes that come from goons? Maybe etched into illustrations, since most of the faxes shown on TV seem to include one.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Corridor posted:

Is that really necessary? It seems kinda narcissistic... like, 'hey we are part of the cool club give us preferential attention'.

Ok, bad idea. My logic is that SA GGCX is basically their unofficial American "fan club" at this point :{

I was actually wary of putting "From a fan in Scotland" on a fax, since the show doesn't air in this country.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

yugge posted:

Does anyone know if the japanese steel battalion controller is compatible with an european xbox? Because the controller is pretty cheap from rakuten.

The only issue I can think of is that the game itself might swap around the X and O / A and B / Whatever they're called buttons on the english release, which made some European music games a little confusing on Japanese controllers.

It shouldn't be a problem as long as those buttons are next to each other on the controller, but if one is at the front panel and one is ontop of a stick of something, that might get weird.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

zari-gani posted:

Guess who Discotek Media is hiring to re-translate all the episodes.

:j:

I'm happy that we can finally show you thanks for your efforts, albeit in the most indirect form possible.

If anyone is able to ship a copy onto the UK for me, I'll happily order my copy online, and have it sent to [North American Address].

zari-gani posted:

I'm not going to re-translate everything, but I'm definitely going to comb through the whole thing and make any appropriate changes/fixes.

Just putting this out there, but since this is a collection of 12 episodes that are going to be viewed in a specific order, there might be some weird context changes?

Some very careful wording in the early episodes (like the dialogue during the very first scene in which an AD appears) could be crucial in introducing viewers to some essential concepts of the show? Wheras before, it was just an AD showing up in a random episode, it now has a slightly different context to some viewers, as the episode now exists in a bubble of 12 episodes, and this is suddenly a pivotol moment, and the introduction of a concept that has no actual explanation within the narrative of the episode.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

Judging by the quality, they probably offered to do it for a 6 pack.

Today, the contracted translaters take on... Retro Game Master! They listened to the Japanese speech, and mindfully decided on the english counterparts. However...

Arino was at a loss. The translation effort is not successful

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

abraxas posted:

Maybe the UK will get a release, what with having the same language and all. That'd at least make it somewhat possible for me to get them.

This entire basis of this thread is that people will spend hundreds of hours of their time translating and timing this show, just so that other goons can enjoy new episodes. I'm sure someone will be willing to spend 5 minutes of their time posting you a DVD, so that you can enjoy 7 new episodes.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

iastudent posted:

I was going through some of the earlier episodes I've missed (namely the SMB2/hot springs special) and I can't help but notice there's a lot of cabs Arino finds early on where the joystick and buttons are positioned on the front of the cab and face towards the player. What's up with those and how can that be comfortable to play on for a length of time?

Most japanese players hold joysticks in a really weird way (which isn't the way Arino holds them), and while cocktail-style front-facing joysticks aren't the most comfortable, they kind of make sense when you force yourself to hold a 2-direction joystick that way.

I don't know whether cocktail cabionets or the "hold the joystick between two fingers" method came first, but I guess one inspired the other.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

rdbbb posted:

I finally made a big update to the episode guide after a long while since there was so much going on, but it's also the final update. I'm happy to have turned anybody on to the show with it, but it definitely wasn't everybody. You can read more here. And you will continue to see me lingering around here, fer sure.

For what it's worth, your guide was something I found after stumbling upon the early fansubbed episodes, and it was a real eye-opener to realise there was so much content out there, beyond the handful of fansubbed episodes.

It's like playing your first NES game, and then looking in the Sears catalogue, and realising how much more is out there that you don't have.

I think that reading the site and seeing the scale of GCCX made us pine for more, and that's almost certainly what drove a lot of people to try and rally fansubbers, and spread word of the show, so that we could eventually get to see all the episodes that were catalogued on the site.

A simple list of episode titles doesn't create the same "magic window" effect as the website. I don't know whether people "used" it for it's intended purpose, but the scope and detail of the website definately conveyed the depth and quality of the show, and whether it made people aware of GCCX, or merely heightened the urgency of fansubbing, it definately served a purpose.

Would you have met Arino in 2011 if that site wasn't one of the top hits on Google? Would there have been an SA thread if a few of us had just watched 6 episodes as a curiosity, without realising how much more content was out there, and being teased by descriptions and photos of it?.. I mean, you probably could have written 20 issues of Scoll.vg in that time, but I'm really glad you wrote that website instead ^^;

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Mercury Crusader posted:

That issue, which I'm sure I have but I'd need to thumb through them all to recall which it was, claimed it was some sort of cartridge hardware shortage; a chip or something.

This was a real thing :

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/03/12/us/shortage-of-memory-chips-has-industry-scrambling.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

Nintendo's american licensing deal meant they were the exclusive manufacturers of all NES carts, so they actually produced a fair ammount of copies of Zelda 2 and Mario 2, and then only filled a fraction of the cartridge production orders made by third-party companies.

They couldn't produce anywhere near the demand though. I think the only underhanded claim Nintendo made about the situation was to announce that Zelda 2 copies were availible in the wild months before they actually were.

Knowing that the chip shortage was coming, they presumably wanted to drive kids into a frenzy for the game, who'd then get parents to phone as many department stores and retailers as possible, who in turn would get 20 calls a day enquiring about a Nintendo game, and order larger ammounts of Nintendo hardware and software, due to the perceived increase in interest.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

New song for the OP (from the two crossover promotional segments) :

Maximum The Hormone - Koi no Mega Lover

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

PkerUNO posted:

A friend of mine's a driver on the London Underground, he's allowed me in the cab a few times and it's really shown me how difficult a job it is. You need to concentrate all the time and have to be very wary of assuming that signal you passed a million times before will still be green..

Being a tube driver is literally like playing a very, very hard Japanese videogame!

Also, the game seems unforgiving as hell, but I imagine the train drivers in Japan would lose their jobs for a lot less than overshooting a station slightly / being 20 seconds late / failing to point at every single sign on the route?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

NBHS posted:

While I recognize it's currently in Discotek-publishing land and unavailable through legal means, I had a question about Ninja Gaiden (the first one)...

... how long did it take Arino to finish? Curious as to the number of hours. It's for a piece I'm working on.

19 hours, spread over 2 days

http://www.crunkgames.com/?p=87&page=42

Crunk Games is still a useful resource! RDBB is happy!

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I just went through the list to see which episodes featured games published in the west, and noticed that Arino's played my all-time favorite lovely Famicom game : Paris Dakar Rally Special?

Words cannot explain how batshit weird this racing game is

Ero-Game Centre SEX is no longer at the top of my fansub wishlist!

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

PkerUNO posted:

I've seen a lot of advertising for those games, but still don't really know what they are. I'm guessing they're not train sims and more like a board game?

To be honest if it ain't a train sim, I'm not interested. :colbert:

Momotaro Densetsu is a Famicom RPG loosely based on a Japanese folklore character (Imagine Ganbare Goemon if it was a Dragon Quest clone).

Momotaro Dentetsu is a spin-off title, which takes the exhagerated characterisations of the Momotaro characters from the RPG, and places them in a Game Of Life clone (for some reason, "Game Of Life Clone" was a popular and legitimate Famicom game genre).

It's Game Of Life, with some Monopoly property-trading elements, starring a cast of characters from some niche Hudson RPG you've never hear... I guess it's 8-bit Itadaki Street?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Every 4 episodes or so, I feel like I have to put into words how much we love the subbing team, so you guys realise how much we appreciate it, and that most of us probably spend the entire download staring a blank reply box trying to figure out how we can thank you.

I hope someone can somehow source DVDs to sell to goons outside of North America, because I'm running out of ideas, and the episodes don't stop coming :{

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Nickoten posted:

If there's one thing I can say about Japanese prize catchers, it's that they're usually fair. I have never won anything in an American prize catcher in my life, and they've always felt impossible to me. In Japan if you're willing to spend a few bucks you're likely to walk out with something.

The American-style and Japanese-style machines are equally fair, and both work on the principle of "once enough money has gone into this machine, someone wins a prize worth 1/3 of that money".

The Japanese machines generally involve playing until a prize has been nudged into a winnable position, or in the case of the Barber Shop machine, hotting the wire with a blunt blade enough times that the wire starts to sever. You can't win by skill alone, but players who understand the game can usually look at the machine, and make a reasonable estimate of how many times more the machine has to be played, before the prize becomes winnable

The only difference with American-style machines is that it's harder for an onlooker to judge how many more plays the machine will take before it becomes winnable. Instead of a claw that controls the same every time, the strength of the claw varies based on how much money is in the machine. When the machine has accumulated 300% of the value of the prize, the claw's gripping properties will change, and the machine will pay out.

A modern variation of SWP games now hitting both Japan and American are based on the concept of a "Magic Pixel". The most transparant of these is Stacker - a game where you have to use skill to drop giant pixels ontop of each other until they reach the top. As the game is accumulating money, it will allow players to reach the top of the screen, but if they successfuly hit the jackpot, the game will simply ignore the winning input, and show the player that they hit a fraction of a second too early or too late. Only when the machine has accumulated enough money to pay out the prize, will the game start aknowledging correct presses, and let the player win. Another good example is Key Master, which works on the same principle, but also ignores correct inputs, and nudges the player's aim one pixel to the right to stop a successful win, until it accumulates enough money to pay out.

Whether these games are winnable or not depends on the honesty of the staff operating the machines. If 900 people in a row play Stacker, then it will pay out an iPad on the 900th play, but that's assuming nobody empties the machine, or resets the counter inbetween those 900 plays.

In Japan, it seems to make good business sense to let the machines pay out, so that players win, or see other people win, and are re-assured that all is fair. Outside Japan, arcade owners are traditionaly a little less honest, and would probably rather keep their iPad AND the $900.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I saw a video where a guy adjusted the arm strength for a claw game, so it would be too weak for somebody to win even if it was payout time.

That's possible, but unless your claw machines contain diamond-encrusted tiaras, why would you bother? Claw machines already carry a stigmata that the machine is rigged, so arcade owners rely on punters witnessing wins in order to re-assure them that the arcade's machines are safe to play.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Ordered! Works out at £30 (shipped) to the UK.

Estimated delivery date : 4th November :ohdear:

edit : Oh, and I have nothing to play it on. Maybe I should have just posted £30 to the production crew.

Tyma fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 18, 2012

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

First thing I thought of was Ultraman Club, which sort of fits the Bizarro Japanese Game mould that they like so much.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Hot Poppin Bunnz posted:

I'd like to see Paris-Dakar Rally Special. It's gotta be really weird, right?

Oh my god, you have no loving idea how weird it is. I saw it described on Chrontendo, and had to play (and beat it) to see how increasingly weird it got.

"High-level Kusoge*" is the only way to describe it.

*(c)Ray Barnhold

Tyma fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 1, 2012

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Bocc Kob posted:

Was Mystery of Convoy faster than Another World? It's been a while since I watched it.

Outer World : 4.61 seconds
Mystery Of Convoy : 2.21 seconds

To make it even better, the death is caused by an invisible bullet :D

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, my favorite lovely Game!

Bless God in heaven (and the GCCX team), for they have gifted us with Paris Dakar Rally Special.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Myrmeleo posted:

Lately, I've been looking at Famicom History, so I have to wonder if there's a website or something that offers a complete collection of Famicom carts with their artwork and such.

Have you watched Chrontendo? It's a video series where one guy plays and documents every Famicom and FDS game, in the chronological order they were released in. So far he's covered over 600 games in 40-odd hours, and because it goes chronologically, he starts to paint a real picture of how the Famicom industry evolved, which minor games influenced major titles further down the line, and how games pigeonholed themselves into clearly-defined genres.

The first episode (and every episode) can be streamed from Archive.org if you want to give it a try :

http://archive.org/details/Chrontendo_Vol_1

It's also worth mentioning Game Over, on the off-chance that there's anyone in this thread who hasn't read it yet. It focuses mostly on Nintendo Of America, and most of the interesting stories in it have been re-told in other books, but it's still The Bible of Famicom history.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

craig588 posted:

Just in case anyone else is wondering and doesn't want to put in the effort http://i.imgur.com/8BSQJ.png

Y.. You didn't write this over the top of the "I love vagina and clitoris" message, did you? :ohdear:

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

The Muffinlord posted:

Whoa wait where the gently caress does this fit in my painstakingly sorted collection?

It's the 11th episode of Season 1.

TV-Nihon subbed it as "Gamecenter CX Special : Super Mario Brother 2 2 & Hot Springs Games Journal"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

rdbbb posted:

An RPG would be mostly leveling, and the suspense wouldn't be there (or it would be stupidly forced, like if Arino went to a high-level part of the map while he was still level 10 or something).

The only way I can imagine it is if they did something iconic and exploitable, like FF8 or Chrono Trigger, and kept it in the spirit of the Pilotwings episode, by having previous crew members coming out on stage in cosplay, and act out all of the dialogue scenes for Arino.

.. I don't know why I imagined something so bizarre, but at least it would make it fun, and would keep people tuned in for the full 24 hours, because you know what scenes are coming up, and want to see how much fun it is to see it being acted out.

Thinking about it, FF8 would be the perfect game? They can just go 2 hours before telling Arino that he can open and close the Playstation's disc cover to completely avoid random battles, and cut the challenge down to exploration, dialogue scenes and boss fights?