Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

With thanksgiving around the corner, what's the best response to a dumb relative spewing FOX climate arguments and full denial. I've used the DOD's Climate Change Adaptation Road Map while asking, why would the military plan for its inevitability if it were fictional? I've had some ok success ending the crazy uncle spewing nonsense by having him choose if the infallible military is wrong about their assessment of risk or it's all made up. Any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Silence would be best, but isn't really an option because by his 4th drink, he'll be spewing fox "just saying"s and mentioning the weak administration. He's a vocal force of dumb. I know I won't change his mind, but I'd like to give the rest of the family point to consider.

Junkyard Poodle fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 2, 2015

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Squalid posted:

You just have to adopt his frame of reference. Using an authoritative source like the DOD which is acceptable from his perspective is necessary, but you also need an argument which fits within his ideological narrative. For example if he starts on about Obama's weakness agree with him, and make a point about how he's letting China surge ahead of America in solar and nuclear development. Why does America have to buy CHINESE solar panels? Why is BIG GOVERNMENT giving billions in subsidies to coal and oil companies?

In my experience the prerequisite for an open and honest discussion is the implicit belief everyone upholds the same values. It's when an opinion on an issue becomes a Rorschach test for ideology that debates become shouting matches. If you can make this conversation about the best tactics for Making America Great Again, you might at least keep him listening.

Thanks, I like this approach.

What is the most repuatble sight that covers all the idiot talking points deniers like to use?

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Much appreciated!

You're right about entrenchment. One time when I was commenting on a recent climate report in front of said uncle, he brought up his suspicion of all consensus science. Eugenics! World is Flat! etc. It's infuriating. He's probably hopeless. FOX devoted baby boomer who ran his Los Angeles roofing company with undocumented workers until he threw all of his money at the Phoenix housing market in 2007 and idolizes the affluent. Godless FYGM who chases trends. The only context that might have hope is his grandchildren. I think I'll just steer the conversation towards baseball.

• Locked thread