Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I watched Batman Year One the other day and while I thought it was mostly okay, that Batman/Bruce Wayne voice... sheesh. Just terrible.

As for the Green Lantern series, I went into it not expecting it to be any good at all but came away pleasantly surprised. From the pilot/movie it appears that at the very least the entire first season is going to take place away from Earth and Oa on the edge of the universe as their ship's engine is broken. The animation looks much better in motion than in stills and it was actually fairly well written with an amusing bit where Kilowog makes fun of the fact that Hal wears a mask in deep space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

duz posted:

I love me some Peter Chung. I even loved Reign, crazy yoda, thongs and everything.
I should spend this weekend watching Phantom 2040.

I thought Reign was pretty interesting but really suffered in the English version when partway through the series they switched dubs and lost a bunch of voice actors. It was especially bad because they no longer had John Rafter Lee (Trevor Goodchild on Aeon Flux) as Aristotle and he has such an awesome voice.

Also, its been a while since I played it so this might just be nostalgia but I remember the Phantom 2040 SNES game was pretty cool. It was a side scrolling Metroid-esque game with a branching story that changed by where you went and in what order.

Edit: For actual comic book animation chat, I haven't really been thrilled with what I've seen for either Marvel or DC's DTV offerings. My biggest problem with DC's is their tendency to stunt cast some minor A or B list actor with no real regards to whether they are a good fit for the character.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Dec 21, 2011

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I tried to watch Avengers since its on Netflix but just couldn't get into it. Didn't help that it takes something like 5 or 6 episodes for them to actually form the Avengers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AzraelNewtype posted:

That's her, and she's Lois. Feels like an awful miscast to me, especially with George Newburn reprising Superman.

It wouldn't be a DC animated movie without someone being horribly miscast (usually that person is a movie or TV star who doesn't normally do voice acting.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just saw a commercial on Cartoon Network stating that the Green Lantern cartoon is starting next Saturday (March 3rd) morning. I liked the preview they showed of it so I'll definitely be checking it out, in a couple of weeks once they get done reshowing the preview/movie in episode format.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's a REALLY funny bit in the first episode where Hal and Kilowog are talking to a GL they meet on the frontiers of space. Hal asks the guy about his secret identity and the GL has no idea what he's talking about. So Kilowog starts making fun of the fact that Hal wears a mask so nobody recognizes him in space.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

When is that supposed to come out?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was kind of surprised by this week's Green Lantern as, from the movie, I was fully ready to just hate the character of Razer the Red Lantern. However the backstory they gave for him was pretty good and they did a much better job of him not just acting like an annoying jerk. I especially liked the moment where, after regaining his ring and defeating the spider guys, he took his ring off.

Also the banter between Hal and Kilowogg continues to be pretty funny.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Looks like they'll be getting some mileage out of those anti Green Lantern energy yellow crystals.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So, after the end of this week's Young Justice they did a short thing about what was going to be next week's DC Nation shorts and it looks like one of them is going to be Animal Man based.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This week's GL was kind of hardcore because it involved a guy murdering a Green Lantern specifically to get his ring.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

An interesting thing about the Green Lantern series is how they haven't shied away from death at all. You have stuff like Razer's motivation for joining the Red Lanterns is his wife dying as well as all the frontier Green Lantern who drop like flies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Huh, guess I'll give it another shot then.

There's actually an in universe explanation as to why Miss Martian spouts an annoying catchphrase. She bases a lot of her personality (and human form) on a failed 80s sitcom called "Hello Megan."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So this week's Young Justice was pretty crazy with everyone just coming clean with all their secrets and finally finding out who the mole is. Although next week looks even crazier what with Young Justice vs Justice League.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I really liked how everyone finally decided that hey, maybe they should trust their friends and teammates with their secrets.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was mentioned in the TVIV thread but it was also kind of annoying how quickly they added Icon and Rocket to their respective teams with no explanation as to who they were or what their powers were.

Edit: The best part of "too quick wrapping up loose ends" was Batman's "well you caught a couple of low level villains thus somehow proving that Hugo Strange is actually a villain and letting prisoners out of Belle Reve" just glossing over the whole end to that story arc.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 15, 2012

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I liked Starfire reacting to the 80s version of her costume. Also the DC 1 Million shout out at the end.

Kind of weird how GL just keeps dancing around the subject of the yellow fear energy though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Baron Bifford posted:

In this week's episode of Young Justice, there is a shadowy figure working with Sportsmaster. It's obvious he is voiced by a normal guy who lowering his voice to unnaturally low levels, like what you see in so many homemade YouTube videos. It was just lame.

It sounded like it was Michael Clarke Duncan.

Anyway, GL chat. I'm not sure if the show has glossed over how much time its been since the first episode or what since the Ultra warp drive is now fixed and Aya previously stated it would take something like a year and a half to do it. Also, nice to finally see some forward motion on the other Lantern front with Saint Walker finally becoming a blue lantern.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It pretty much has to be another Scarab considering he destroyed the golem with exactly the same sonic weapon that Jaime was using.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I'm assuming today's episode of Green Lantern was the season finale considering they tied up all the loose ends of the whole Red Lantern invasion arc. Everyone is back in Guardian space and they've officially turned Saint Walker into Blue Lantern. I'm just wondering where they're going to go after this. I'm assuming something to do with yellow lanterns with how much they've teased the yellow energy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

So that Atom short was the most boring thing. He's a superhero whose power is the ability to be threatened by small animals at inconvenient moments.

The weird thing about that short is isn't this the backstory to the Atom episode of Batman: The Brave and the Bold?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Revol posted:

• I've only see the first three episodes of the new season. Where is Artemis? Did I miss something? Or do I out in episode four or five?

You find out what happens to her in the next episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RevKrule posted:

Teen Titans is coming back as Teen Titans Go with the original cast next year.

http://toynewsi.com/index.php?itemid=18781

I hope this means they've finally stopped being so anal about different versions of the same character appearing on multiple shows.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Jonah Hex one was weird because it was like 5 minutes long. I watched it on Netflix as part of the compilation they released and when I saw they were starting it compared to how much time was left I was kind of confused.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

E the Shaggy posted:

Just saw the screener for Dark Knight Returns Part 1.

Its great considering its basically a word for word transition of the original work. The animation is solid and the voicework grows on you.

One glaring omission though is:

Superman doesn't show up at all, which is actually leading me to think that he's not even going to be included. This might be a mandate from the higher ups that they can't have Supes be portrayed as a government flunkie right before Man of Steel comes out. Should be interesting to see how this alters the ending

Could it possibly be just because its Part 1? Its been a while since I've read it but he doesn't really show up in the book until after the Joker is dead doesn't he?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I just flipped through my copy of DKR and in the first two parts Superman shows up a total of twice, one on an answering machine and another time "off camera" talking to Reagan.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kull the Conqueror posted:

What did they do with the Cold War element of the book? Is the Corto Maltese incident intact as a crisis between Americans and Soviets? Is Reagan president? I'm so curious to know how they deal with that.

That stuff hasn't come up yet, although it really seems like they're keeping it in the 80s (Gordon still gives the Pearl Harbor speech) so I would assume so in the second half.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Considering that Part 2 has to cover both Joker and Superman sections I have a feeling that the Reagan stuff might get cut a little.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TLG James posted:

Who was the female talking to Bruce in the car race scene at the beginning?

Carol Ferris. It was a little more obvious in the comic book.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I didn't like was since they didn't have any narration they just had characters say some of the lines from the book. Like in the Batman/Mutant Leader fight in the mud pit having Batman actually say what he was doing came off as rather stilted.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Guy Gardner showed up on yesterday's Green Lantern: TAS and it was a pretty good episode. They also introduced the Anti-Monitor and brought back the Manhunters. So far they haven't really said what was up with the Anti-Monitor so who knows what they're going to do with the backstory, all we know is that he reactivated the Manhunters.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They still don't even have Yellow Lanterns yet so I think that's kind of far off down the line, if ever. They haven't even introduced Sinestro yet. Although this is mostly because the first half of the season took place almost entirely outside of Guardian space. I'm also wondering if they're going to get rid of Hal's mask considering Guy doesn't wear one either and Hal was just fired from his day job and his girlfriend dumped him. The series is focusing solely on space stuff and he doesn't really seem to fight any Earth based villains or anything like that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't think the Guardians were ever really "good" though considering in their first appearance they kidnap Hal and then wipe his memory of it ever happening.

Anyway, in Green Lantern TV news, this week kind of explained TAS' version of the Anti-Monitor and apparently they're kind of stealing a little bit of Galactus for him as he wants to destroy stuff to absorb their energy. Oh and also in today's episode THEY KILLED HAL (probably not really.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something else I forgot to mention in yesterday's Green Lantern: TAS? Hal gets his rear end handed to him by Ch'p.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So despite both series being back for a grand total of 2 weeks Cartoon Network has pulled the DC Nation block until January.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That doesn't really explain why they would take Green Lantern off though as it only has GL related characters.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So in the latest episode of Green Lantern: TAS they reveal that in some way or form Alan Scott was a Green Lantern. They don't mention him by name but an alien tells Hal that they were helped in the past by a Green Lantern wearing a red cape. The only thing is was that this took place in an alternate universe that had been almost entirely wiped out by the Anti-Monitor so they didn't say if Alan Scott was from that universe or from the regular one.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I finally got around to watching Planet Hulk and it was incredibly not good.

I've never really been too happy with any cartoon adaptations of comics. Like, I watched All Star Superman the other day and while it was mostly good the inclusion of Bar-El and Lilo seemed completely pointless.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

At the start of this week's Green Lantern they showed some stuff from further into this season, including a scene based on this cover

Although with Orange Lantern rings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Little Mac posted:

Hahaha, sorry! What I meant was please tell me the endings. We don't get the shows in Central America right now. :/

Green Lantern: The Corp has an all out battle with Aya's Manhunters while Hal realizes Aya didn't actually go all that evil as he discovers that she only destroyed star systems that were completely devoid of life. Aya activates the time machine and goes back to the beginning of creation, taking Hal along to gloat. Standard DC beginning of universe, giant hand holding weird floating galaxy like thing. Kilowog and Guy fire Razer into the Anti-Monitor using a big construct gun with Razer as the bullet. Razer finds time machine, goes back but is unable to kill Aya because he still loves her. Aya sees Razer coming and blasts him right in the chest grievously wounding him. She then realizes that she still has emotions and aborts her plan, taking Hal and Razer back to the present. Aya then uses up all her Anti-Monitor energy healing Razer, turning her back to normal. Unfortunately she had uploaded copies of herself into all the Manhunters and none of them had the realization she did so in order to stop them Aya unleashes a computer virus that will delete all versions of her program from the galaxy. This also kills her. Later Razer tells Hal and Kilowog that there's no way Aya didn't survive somehow and that he's going off to look for her, by himself. As he flies off there's a shot of a blue lantern ring following him.

Young Justice: Beetles Blue and Green battle Black Beetle who in turns destroy Green Beetle's scarab. He tries the same trick on Blue but since Jaime and the scarab are working together they're able to turn the table and destroy Black Beetle's scarab instead. Because they were linked for a second Jaime realizes that Black Beetle seeded the Earth with doomsday devices in order to destroy evidence that the Reach tampered with Earth. Both the League and the Team get together and using some tech given by Luthor are able to stop all the doomsday weapons except one at the North Pole. Barry and Bart Allen head up there and discover the device has already activated. Luthor informs them that if they run around it really fast they should be able to bleed off all the energy and stop it from killing everyone. Unfortunately the two of them aren't enough and so Wally joins in. This stops the machine but as a side effect Wally got the energy bled into him and so he vanishes. The League is cleared by the tribunal on Rimbor, mostly when Miss Martian and Superboy convince the tribunal that looking like they're service justice will bring more cases to be tried in front of them, thus getting them more bribes. Vandal Savage shows up in the War World stating that Earth is off limits to aliens. Meanwhile the Justice League invites the Team into sharing the Watchtower as headquarters while Nightwing takes a leave of absence after Wally's death. The very end of the episodes shows Vandal Savage taking War World to Apokalips and shaking hands with Darkseid.

All in all, Green Lantern was a better series finale while Young Justice is hurt by their setting things up for another season (because they didn't know they were being canceled.)

• Locked thread