Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

CGI Billy Connolly was a blast.

Like josh04 points out, being 'artificial' is a sickness in the originals. Frodo becomes colour-corrected after his encounter with the wraiths and getting ghost-shanked. Baddies wear more makeup than goodies. The ring's influence turns a real person into a CGI Gollum, and people into wraiths, etc. Being made evil deprives you of your reality, your substance, your human truth or whatever - Sauron embodies the end result, his two forms being A: An empty suit of armour, and B: A flaming eye with Literally Nothing at its center. The ultimate threat is to not be a person at all. Your identity is stolen by fascism or monarchs or communists or whatever you think Sauron signifies.

Making Connolly and other 'good' characters CG complicates this by essentially saying that there's nothing 'real' about anyone at all. Azog and Dain are equated visually and thematically. Everyone is united in blissful nonpersonhood, whether they believe it or not. Beneath the sky there is one family of monsters and we murder each other in a desperate search for meaning.

The giant, unrealistically-over-regimented CGI armies function as a funny joke about how war robs people of their personhood. When folks talk about how they didn't really get to know the dwarves and they just got turned into set decorations for Thorin's journey, they're not even making a criticism, but describing the basic plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hbomberguy posted:

Like josh04 points out, being 'artificial' is a sickness in the originals. Frodo becomes colour-corrected after his encounter with the wraiths and getting ghost-shanked. Baddies wear more makeup than goodies. The ring's influence turns a real person into a CGI Gollum, and people into wraiths, etc. Being made evil deprives you of your reality, your substance, your human truth or whatever - Sauron embodies the end result, his two forms being A: An empty suit of armour, and B: A flaming eye with Literally Nothing at its center. The ultimate threat is to not be a person at all. Your identity is stolen by fascism or monarchs or communists or whatever you think Sauron signifies.

Making Connolly and other 'good' characters CG complicates this by essentially saying that there's nothing 'real' about anyone at all. Azog and Dain are equated visually and thematically. Everyone is united in blissful nonpersonhood, whether they believe it or not. Beneath the sky there is one family of monsters and we murder each other in a desperate search for meaning.

The giant, unrealistically-over-regimented CGI armies function as a funny joke about how war robs people of their personhood. When folks talk about how they didn't really get to know the dwarves and they just got turned into set decorations for Thorin's journey, they're not even making a criticism, but describing the basic plot.

This works for Viggo Mortensen who broke his foot on a helmet prop and had to parry a misthrown knife or die, and Galadriel actually come to think of it, but what about Legolas in LOTR then, who is half Orlando Bloom, half elf, half cool cgi stunts? Gimli too, probably.

e: The spooky ghost army too, since their whole thing is wanting to not be in the movie anymore and a mass of spookiness except the king.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Aug 7, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RBA Starblade posted:

This works for Viggo Mortensen who broke his foot on a helmet prop and had to parry a misthrown knife or die, and Galadriel actually come to think of it, but what about Legolas in LOTR then, who is half Orlando Bloom, half elf, half cool cgi stunts? Gimli too, probably.

e: The spooky ghost army too, since their whole thing is wanting to not be in the movie anymore and a mass of spookiness except the king.

Elves are inherently magical, but they're also dying out (usually of their own volition, i.e. sailing out West). Gimli was actually fairly grounded to the best of my knowledge.

The ghost army is basically what would happen if a whole bunch of lepers/people with ebola/ your favorite disease here martyred themselves at the enemy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

computer parts posted:

Elves are inherently magical, but they're also dying out (usually of their own volition, i.e. sailing out West). Gimli was actually fairly grounded to the best of my knowledge.

The ghost army is basically what would happen if a whole bunch of lepers/people with ebola/ your favorite disease here martyred themselves at the enemy.

Oh I meant the ghosts work in that reading too. I just couldn't recall if Gimli had a lot of cgi stunts or not so I couldn't figure out how he'd fit into it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I don't remember seeing a whole lot of Gimli CGI, I believe it was mostly done through camera tricks and using little people in the wide shots.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

As it turns out, the most real and thus most good creature in The Lord of the Rings is Bill the Pony.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Why do people who hate The Hobbit come into The Hobbit Thread to tell people who don't hate The Hobbit to stop talking about The Hobbit in The Hobbit thread? And why is it the people who don't hate the The Hobbit in this scenario are the ones diagnosed with mental issues in a crude mimicry of humor? Shouldn't this be the thread where people talk about the movie? Like actually talk about it and not spend every waking hour trying to stifle discussion ("ITS BAD ITS AUTISTIC STOP TALKING IF AUTHOR IS DEAD HOW COME MOVIE BAD HAPPEN")?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Nerds desire closure. Closing the book on a movie being 'just bad' (by shouting people who think differently down or armchair diagnosing them with mental deficiencies) would be a weight off, because the possibility they could be wrong is daunting.

Unfortunately, art doesn't work that way. So there is no escape.

Instead of reading Beowulf, giving it X stars out of ten, and then consuming the next piece of media, Tolkien devoted a massive part of his life to translating, re-reading, and researching it. Tolkien knew how to approach art - and what a surprise, lived a more fulfilling life.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hbomberguy posted:

So what about the ents?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Bongo Bill posted:

Takes time to set up something like that, and also I'm sure he relished the challenge.

They couldn't just put a double in a wig like for 90% of Saruman's screentime?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Hello stran̈́ger my sexy bear
i'm feeͯliַng fr̐isky.. want to h́0͔0ͬkup? s͟end m̒e a msg so we c٘an chat.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
So begins viral marketing for The Battle of the Five Armies: The Beorn Cut.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
And we have info on the Extended Edition:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2015/08/25/99120-battle-of-the-five-armies-ee-dvd-available-november-17/

The Blu-Ray & DVD of the EE is going to release on November 17. If you want it digitally, you can get it on October 17 instead.

The EE will cost ~$35 for Blu-Ray & DVD, add about 20 minutes, and most importantly will be R Rated. I don't know why.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Maybe they filmed the Radagast sounding scene after all.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Hbomberguy posted:

Nerds desire closure. Closing the book on a movie being 'just bad' (by shouting people who think differently down or armchair diagnosing them with mental deficiencies) would be a weight off, because the possibility they could be wrong is daunting.

Unfortunately, art doesn't work that way. So there is no escape.

http://i.imgur.com/PP5Z5lj.gifv

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

computer parts posted:

I doubt it since a lot of his LOTR battles are literally two paragraphs in length.

Yeah, he's not exactly Bernard Cornwell or Joe Abercrombie. He resorts to "it was too huge to describe" or whatever a fair bit.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Extended edition bonus features:

quote:

The Appendices Part 11: The Gathering Storm - The Chronicles of The Hobbit – Part 3

OPENING 3m 33s

IN THE DUNGEONS OF THE NECROMANCER - DOL GULDUR - MAY 2011 28m 44s
Fire And Water - Attack On The Lake-Town 028:42
UNDER THE SHADOW OF THE MOUNTAIN - ROCK & PILLAR - NOVEMBER 2011 17m 8s
IN THE WAKE OF THE DRAGON - LAKE PUKAKI DECEMBER 2011 26m 11s
THE GATHERING OF THE CLOUDS - EREBOR - MAY-JUNE 2012 28m 46s
MANY PARTINGS - END OF PRINCIPAL PHOTOGRAPHY - JUNE 2012 28m 38s
THE CLOUDS BURST - DALE - JUNE 2013 28m 26s
A LAST DESPERATE STAND - RAVENHILL - JUNE 2013 28m 47s
OUT FROM THE GATE - EREBOR PICK-UPS - JULY 2013 28m 44s
THE LAST STAGE - JULY 26TH, 2013 - 32 mins 34 secs

CREDITS 14m 38s

The Appendices Part 12: Here at Journey's End

Beneath The Thunder: Forging The Battle
A MASTER PLAN, LONG IN THE MAKING 28m 43s
ON THE FRONT LINES OF THE VIRTUAL BATTLEFIELD 28m 39s
TURNING THE TIDE 28m 20s

The Peoples and Denizens of Middle-Earth:
TAURIEL - DAUGHTER OF THE FOREST 26m 21s
THRANDUIL - THE KING OF WOOD AND STONE 28m 48s
DAIN IRONFOOT - LORD OF THE IRON HILLS 28m 46s

Realms of the Third Age - From the City of Dale to the Halls of Erebror:
DALE OF OLD - CITY OF MEN 28m 44s
DOL GULDUR - THE HILL OF SORCERY 28m 45s
EREBOR - THE LONELY MOUNTAIN 28m 46s

FAREWELL FRIENDS 31m 32s

ANDREW LESNIE REMEMBERED 5m 30s

The Hobbit Archives
BUTT-NUMB-A-THON 2011 GREETING 11m 12s
THE REAL ADAM BROWN 5m 9s
"RIVERS OF GOLD" MUSIC VIDEO 4m 15s

CREDITS 7m 41s

All added up that's a solid 10 hours. Plus of course the audio commentary.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Is there a 90 min super cut yet?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

28 minutes about how badly they hosed Dain up?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Jesus, they're going to spend 90 minutes talking about three half assed characters.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Surely if they spend more time assing about them they'd be less half-assed?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Full rear end, you mean.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Just got back from a Fathom Events showing of Five Armies EE, and while I don't have a strong frame of reference for the original cut of the film (aka 'I think this is new, but gently caress if I can remember'), I came out of the theater tonight having enjoyed the film as a whole more than before. There's a lot more little bits featuring characters that got ignored in the original cut, and everything felt solid.

I can't compare this EE to the other Hobbit EEs since I never bothered getting them.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

I don't know how to feel about the EEs, I haven't seen them but really enjoyed the feel of the original cuts as a battle between a fun cartoony hobbit movie and the Darker Edgier Expanded Universe - the expanded edition is an admission that the latter side won.

It might be interesting to interpret the EE versions as even-more-distorted versions of the originals, wherein the original story has been fully assimilated into the narrative canon, strip-mined of its original beauty and force-fed backstories and brooding 'depth' to bring it more in line.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

MisterBibs posted:

Just got back from a Fathom Events showing of Five Armies EE, and while I don't have a strong frame of reference for the original cut of the film (aka 'I think this is new, but gently caress if I can remember'), I came out of the theater tonight having enjoyed the film as a whole more than before. There's a lot more little bits featuring characters that got ignored in the original cut, and everything felt solid.

I can't compare this EE to the other Hobbit EEs since I never bothered getting them.

This is all I care about :

Was there more than 3 seconds of Beorn, and was Thorin's funeral back in?

OH AND MORE IMPORTANTLY: Does Bombur get to speak????

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 14, 2015

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Hedrigall posted:

Was there more than 3 seconds of Beorn, and was Thorin's funeral back in?

Not much more of Beorn on the battlefield, but he shows up during Thorin's funeral and Kingification of Redhead Dwarf Hammer Dude.

Hedrigall posted:

OH AND MORE IMPORTANTLY: Does Bombur get to speak????

He says a few lines in an incredibly funny scene: Bifur (the dwarf with the axe in his head) headbutts an Orc, getting stuck forehead-to-forehead with the thing, complete with a HELP I AM STUCK TO AN ORC I DID NOT FORSEE THIS look on his face. A few of his fellow dwarves help him out, causing the axe thing to fall out of his head. Bombur picks it up innocently and hands it to Bifur with a :downs: Hey I got your axe bit back! :downs: line, before Bifur says "I'll tell you where you can put that thing..."

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

MisterBibs posted:

He says a few lines in an incredibly funny scene: Bifur (the dwarf with the axe in his head) headbutts an Orc, getting stuck forehead-to-forehead with the thing, complete with a HELP I AM STUCK TO AN ORC I DID NOT FORSEE THIS look on his face. A few of his fellow dwarves help him out, causing the axe thing to fall out of his head. Bombur picks it up innocently and hands it to Bifur with a :downs: Hey I got your axe bit back! :downs: line, before Bifur says "I'll tell you where you can put that thing..."

:neckbeard: Oh my god. Does he have a dopey Obelix-ish voice?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I would not know, as I have no idea who that is.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

MisterBibs posted:

What, you've never seen any Asterix cartoons?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

THE BAR posted:

This is loving astonishing to me.

On a rewatch, it is weird that the battle takes up about a third of the movie, give or take, yet somehow there's so little battle footage. We get this big set up where it seems important that these particular guys are here, these guys are here, that's happening there, yet then that's all forgotten and just becomes a melee where we only follow the hero characters. It's not a tactical realism complaint, it's just that some battles in film make sure you understand the big picture, others are about individual struggles, and some balance them. The Five Armies battle does none of those things. The relative position of everything is important, then forgotten. There's probably a commentary in there about the fog of war and the naivety of battle tactics ("no plan survives contact with the enemy," etc) but it's also unsatisfying.

It's a pity, because there's such an absurd amount of work put into it. I didn't notice until watching it at home, but every battle troll has completely unique armour, as do most of the orcs. The orcs from the two different fortresses are instantly distinguishable.

12 years, huge improvements in technology and a mass more experience, and Helm's Deep is still the best battle scene in the series by a large margin.

I reckon, next, give Jackson something completely trashy to adapt. A Warhammer book or something. He could do it. There's little subtlety or nuance, just big bombastic moments mixed with gruesome, goofy ones. He'd be right at home.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 15, 2015

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

THE BAR posted:

Never heard of it. v :) v

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's okay, not everybody is French

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

Not much more of Beorn on the battlefield, but he shows up during Thorin's funeral and Kingification of Redhead Dwarf Hammer Dude.

AND THEY DIDN'T EVEN MAKE THE loving SMAUG FIGHT LONGER. AAARRRGGHHHH WHAT A WASTE OF A FREE VOUCHER. That whole hub bub about black arrows only being able to be fired from these badass crossbow/ballista launcher things and not any mention of it at all like they forgot all about it. It's only twenty measly minutes extra, and its mostly put into the battle to add a bit more comedic moments and a WHOLE LOT MORE cgi orc decapitations and mutilations. Which are admittedly gruesome and kinda funny. :stonk: Save for when the one dwarf pilots a massive troll with maces for legs and morning star arms. It's loving reigns are lodged in its goddamn eye sockets effectively making it blind. It's pretty horrifying. The extended edition is anemic at best and just useless at worst save your money go watch the old 70s .

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jiro posted:

AND THEY DIDN'T EVEN MAKE THE loving SMAUG FIGHT LONGER. AAARRRGGHHHH WHAT A WASTE OF A FREE VOUCHER. That whole hub bub about black arrows only being able to be fired from these badass crossbow/ballista launcher things and not any mention of it at all like they forgot all about it. It's only twenty measly minutes extra, and its mostly put into the battle to add a bit more comedic moments and a WHOLE LOT MORE cgi orc decapitations and mutilations. Which are admittedly gruesome and kinda funny. :stonk: Save for when the one dwarf pilots a massive troll with maces for legs and morning star arms. It's loving reigns are lodged in its goddamn eye sockets effectively making it blind. It's pretty horrifying. The extended edition is anemic at best and just useless at worst save your money go watch the old 70s .

The armies look great and make almost anything else in the genre look really loving half assed by comparison.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

I feel very slightly offended.

Although I have to ask, there were Asterix cartoons? All I've known were the comics, but I guess non-american comics have never done particularly well in NA, have they.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Amppelix posted:

I feel very slightly offended.

Although I have to ask, there were Asterix cartoons? All I've known were the comics, but I guess non-american comics have never done particularly well in NA, have they.

There have been four live-action and nine animated Asterix films, thirty Asterix video games, fifteen Asterix board games, one Asterix theme park, and one artificial Asterix satellite.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

There have been four live-action and nine animated Asterix films, thirty Asterix video games, fifteen Asterix board games, one Asterix theme park, and one artificial Asterix satellite.

Well I knew about all of these except the theme park (really?), but like was there an actual cartoon series too besides just animated features?

I find these kinds of differences in culture fascinating. Like how Ducktales is really popular over in the US but mostly passed over in favor of the comics in EU, and vice versa.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Yes really! I've been to Parc Asterix. It's fun :3:

There's a full reconstruction of the village, and a Rome-themed area, and a few others I forget. It has an excellent wooden rollercoaster, one of the best in the world.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Amppelix posted:

Well I knew about all of these except the theme park (really?), but like was there an actual cartoon series too besides just animated features?

If you've ever seen the Tintin cartoons, then expect the same focus on emulating the comics. Oh, and yes, they're all movie feature length. The first one was drawn in a slightly different style; Caesar especially looks dodgy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Snowman_McK posted:

The armies look great and make almost anything else in the genre look really loving half assed by comparison.

In TBOFA? I've not seen it since the cinema release but isn't the elf army literally just the same two or three dudes copied and posted 1000 times? It looked loving awful.

• Locked thread