Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Jeremy's Jag sounded loving amazing with those six unsilenced exhausts, like the truck from Duel. Or the Battletruck.

Apart from that, yeah, the weakest special by far. The best bits were unscripted, but unfortunately the scripted stuff was about 95% of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
That was the first time I've ever wandered out of the room to do something else during SIARPC.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

CornHolio posted:

I thought the car Will designed from scratch was pretty awesome looking. :(

Except for those god-awful headlights.
It looks like a kit car copy of a Lancia Delta.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Matt LeBlanc's apparently into car and (especially) motorbike racing, so while he's not going to be at Jay Leno levels of auto-nerdery, he'll have something to talk about. And I've seen him in person; when he drops the Joey persona he's a pretty sharp and witty guy, so I doubt the interview will be like will-dot-i-dot-am-dot's :geno: .

(Incidentally, I have never heard a Black Eyed Peas song; it sounds like this is a Good Thing.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I bet Hammond would have got a cheer if they'd introduced him as Richard J Cheeseburger.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

echoplex posted:

Was watching the killer 959 vs F40 segment on youtube the other day, and suddenly it's really obvious how often they blur out the windows to hide the fact that it's not Hammond driving.

Can only imagine that the owners wanted to be driving their own cars around the camera cars rather than risk one of the TG crashing into them.
There was a shot in this week's Merc segment where 'Jeremy' had decidedly ginger hair. The switch to HD must have been a nightmare for them in that respect.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Bigsteve posted:

Nick Love is the oval office responsible for Danny Dyer. For that he should be taken into the streets and flogged then shot..
Oh Christ, he is, isn't he? That's put me right off ever seeing the film, since he's the guy whose entire oeuvre is 'ard laaaaads an' football 'ooligans in fillums for propah blokes 'oo read Ver Sun and Nuts and keep their slaaaags in ordah wiv a good 'ard slap.

And the episode was going so well, too. One of the funniest newses in ages (and which contained actual news too!), an entertaining guest for SIARPC and James taking the piss out of the entire Power Test concept. But then nope, got to get in the horribly telegraphed and overlong scripted buffoonery where the presenters play up their personas as if they are literally retarded!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

InitialDave posted:

Hammond, yes, is just plain annoying, but Clarkson seemed to be playing it straight, and I liked that side of it.
Thinking about it, Jeremy was playing the James role (sensible to the point of anal-retentive, doing it properly) and Richard was playing the Jeremy role (ridiculous and badly-planned ideas involving explosions). Maybe they got their script pages mixed up.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Bigsteve posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5h9ZPBuBEs

Just in case you don't have a clue as to who the gently caress Nick "fackin" Love is.
Other than a twat that is.
Wow. Wot a fackin' pair ov fackin' cahnts fackin' Lav an' Dyah fackin' is. (Kind of funny that they were furious about Loaded hating their film when they were probably making it with the stereotypical Loaded reader in mind.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I would love it if Jeremy and James did a potted history of some aspect of motoring every week. Every time they do one (how modern controls developed/communist cars/Saab) it's gold.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
An understated-but-good episode this week, I thought. The flames coming from that 40 litre German bomber-car's exhausts were absolutely insane.

The first track-day segment went on a bit too long, but the hosts clearly having such a terrific time hooning around Sausageworld Donington pretty much made up for it. And I can't blame the audience for going "Oooooh..." en masse at the sight of that new Ferrari in the news.

Hammond and the Audi was genius too.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Got to save money somewhere. Blame the Tories. :argh:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

KozmoNaut posted:

Something that is close to me, being an owner of a small Fiat is that he absolutely gushed over the Panda in his newspaper review but has been 'meh' at best about it on Top Gear.
Just because James has one and any car owned by another presenter must be mocked on air, I'd guess.

I'm surprised they haven't brought back the Cool Wall to save money for a segment, actually.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Damnit Clarkson maybe I do actually want to hear James talk about airplanes. Would have been better than another celebrity with an expensive designer bad hair day talk about his latest movie or whatever it was I just skipped over cheese.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Turns out the bit with the jam of learner drivers was staged, which didn't surprise me for some reason - but the bit with the schoolkids running after Jsmes in the Ferrari, they insist, was real.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Gorilla Salad posted:

They could use traditional Russian vehicles likes these ones I've found from EnglishRussia.com

What the, what... is that a loving locomotive fitted with off-road tyres? :stare:

Also, if they were doing something in Russia I could totally see James rocking up in a VT-10 Vityaz articulated crawler. It would suit him perfectly - it's practical, can cover literally any terrain (even water), and is dog-slow.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Jeremy seemed genuinely terrified taking the P45 onto the A3, and to be honest I can't blame him. What did he say its top speed was, about 35mph? Still, it's his own fault.

Bentley put some pics of the car on Twitter; it was driven straight back to the factory after the rally, still caked in mud. It's now part of their development fleet. (Well, they'd have a job selling it after what it was put through.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
If it had been UK Top Gear that had crashed a helicopter gunship as part of a TV stunt, the Daily Mail would have been calling for Clarkson to be jailed and the show to be cancelled, followed by the BBC being shut down.

(And then immigrants deported and gays hung from lampposts, but for the Heil that's just a normal Monday morning.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The Terramax was :stare: , especially when James just stood there and trusted it to stop. I know driverless vehicles have been around for a while with things like the Grand Challenge and that Pike's Peak race (as well as Top Gear's own segment with the BMW Track Trainer), but I didn't realise they'd got the technology down to that level of packaging. The lidar turret was the only obvious sign that the truck was unmanned, compared to the racks of gear previous autonomous cars had bolted to them.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Speaking of racial slurs, the Daily Mirror (formally run by Clarkson's old mate Piers Morgan) today ran a story alleging that he used the n-word during a recording in season 19; Clarkson denies it; the Mirror doubles-down. Let's see where this one goes.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Wamsutta posted:

They should rename and reboot entirely.
Top Ginge.

I can't stand Chris Evans, and never have. Like Clarkson, he's an arrogant and abrasive egotist, but the main difference between him and Clarkson is that Jeremy isn't afraid to let himself look like an absolute imbecile, which allows him to get away with whatever rubbish he's spouting, whereas I've never once seen Evans trying to portray himself as anything less than utterly brilliant and a comedic genius and ooh so rock 'n' roll woo, PAY ATTENTION TO ME. The format of "three idiots have calamity-prone misadventures in cars" isn't going to work with someone like that at the centre.

And god, no, not Suzi Perry. The BBC's F1 coverage has gone massively downhill since Jake left and she took over. She's so bloody dull.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The Guardian's saying the same thing, and they're a bit more credible journalistically. (Insofar as any British newspaper can be considered entirely credible.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The best parts of EJ's F1 presenting career were:

Jake gently winding him up about his F1 team's lack of success in its later years and Eddie getting visibly pissed off about it, and;
EJ literally dragging the Ferrari team boss out of the middle of an interview he was doing for Italian TV in Ferrari's own hospitality area to talk to the BBC.

He can be entertaining, or an utter prat who gets fixated on having the wrong opinion like a pub bore. We'll find out soon!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Apparently Richard "Sniff Petrol" Porter has taken up his old TG role of script editor for The Grand Tour - he linked on Twitter to a Sunday Times article he wrote about his Defender which mentioned it in his bio. He's kept it very quiet until now, and I guess it means he's patched things up with Clarkson after being pretty scathing about his post-fracas behaviour in the last chapter of his book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Residency Evil posted:

Did anyone read it as being "pretty scathing?" TBQH I thought he was pretty reasonable. Clarkson did punch a guy at work.
I read it as Porter calling Clarkson out for his half-arsed not-really-an-apology to everyone in the TG office for basically putting them out of a job, and being really disappointed in him both for losing it with a member of the team in the first place, and for disappearing and shrugging it off right afterwards. ("Disappointed" probably sums up the overall feeling better.)