Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

meatpimp posted:

I heard it as Mykonos, Greece?

Pretty sure he said Monaco.

The whole episode was pretty average in my opinion, though it picked up in the last 30-40 minutes where they actually did some driving. I think the biggest problem was simply that they didn't have a clear finishing point, it was just "let's drive north until we feel like stopping". Without a finish line there's no sense of urgency. And honestly, spending what felt like 15 minutes on the train was a really dumb idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Great episode, very glad to see that the Christmas special was just a blip on the radar and they're back to the form they had in last year's regular episodes.

Holy gently caress, once I'm a millionaire an Aventador will be my first purchase :swoon:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I really wish they hadn't glossed over the poor safety records of Chinese cars. Obviously they were taking the piss with their "tests", but a lot of Chinese cars perform very poorly in crash tests. In Australia some models are even being recalled because their safety is so poor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7fpmvWBZw8

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Only just caught up on the most recent TGUK and I thought it was one of the better episodes this season. I don't enjoy Clarkson's DVDs so I hadn't seen the Brutus bit, and the trackday stuff was pretty cool.

My only complaints were that the "driving to work in the rain" segment dragged on for too long (despite how amusingly miserable they all were), and that they didn't show the horribly ugly rear-end of that new Ferrari. Seriously, poo poo's hideous.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Only just got around to watching the latest TGUK and I thought it was a pretty great way to end the series. The M5 film was okay, but May's Ferrari California film and the rallycross segment more than made up for it. Kimi was a pretty boring guest, but he's renowned for that so I wasn't expecting anything else. Slash was a pretty decent guest.

On the whole I haven't been a huge fan of this series, the only impressive episodes to me were the first one (driving through Italy in supercars) and the last two. Hopefully they can come back strongly later in the year.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

My favourite challenge is still episode 5 in season 7, where Clarkson in a Veyron races May & Hammond's Cessna from Switzerland to London. Almost the perfect combination of an awesome car and good banter between the presenters.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Melliemel posted:

I just watched the apocalypse special, and I know this is shallow, but has Richard put on some serious weight? I'm accustomed to a tiny jockey of a man who, based on cursory googling, works out quite a bit. He was looking a lot fluffier this time around.

Maybe he was just getting in shape for their American road trip?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Cool.

quote:

Jeremy Clarkson · 6 hours ago ·
Top Gear will be back in January

https://www.facebook.com/JeremyClarksonFanClub/posts/535347319828763

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Pretty good start to the UK season I thought - the Bentley and Pagani films were awesome. I skipped over the Star interview because I've never watched that show, though his lap was pretty entertaining.

But it looks like I'm in the minority with the P45 segment, in that I didn't think it was that funny. I got a few laughs from it, but too much of it felt like a re-hash of the original Peel P50 segment.

All in all I'm glad Top Gear is back, and it looks like we're in for a pretty good season.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I thought that was a pretty great episode. Nice cars, good banter, and not a lot of contrived situations like last season.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Pretty great episode all round I thought! One of the better races they've done in the last couple of seasons, although I wasn't hugely impressed with the Mustang. A few hilarious moments - I laughed out loud at James's hidden bike, and at Jeremy's line about "France disappearing in a blizzard of fuel stops and sado-masochism". If Jeremy actually picked that car, he's a complete moron. If it really was as close as they made out, a car where he didn't have to stop 500 times for fuel would've won the race! And was he seriously paying 80 euros to refill the tank? :psyduck:

SIARPC was more interesting than I expected, and the Toyota looked like a pretty exciting car.

So yeah, mostly a really good episode and a good follow-up to last week. I've been enjoying this season a lot more than last - as much as I hate to say it, I think the year's break has really done them some good.

edit; Stopping every 140 miles means he probably stopped 6 times for fuel - that's 500 euros in fuel for the trip :psypop:

webmeister fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Feb 12, 2013

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Sprat Sandwich posted:

It was actually a diversion - Hammond (and we) thought he was just a tired old man while actually he had planned everything in advance. He slept the exact time needed to have the required strength for the final bit.

I love that they did that Chekov's Gun-style insertion of his suitcase early on in the feature - at the time you don't think anything of it, but at the end you're thinking a-ha!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Only just caught up with part 1 of the Africa special and wow, I think it's one of the best specials they've done in years. So many memories of Kampala and Uganda came flooding back, and I'm super excited for them to reach Tanzania next week.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

On the whole I thought the Africa special was pretty great, but I felt a bit underwhelmed by part 2. The first part was absolutely fantastic though.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I thought it was a pretty good episode all up - the NZ film was really nice, and the SIARPC segment was hilarious. I don't think I'll ever think of Charles Dance as anything other than Tywin Lannister again, so watching Tywin drive around the track and get lovely over his slow time was awesome.

I found the hot hatch part quite boring; they might be nice cars but I just can't get excited about seeing them on Top Gear. Like someone else said, I think it's the track more than anything, since they've done much more interesting hatch reviews in the past. But those reviews involved more than "Hammond drives a car around the airfield for an hour".

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I wonder which one of those ~touring car legends~ is the new Stig?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Why did they get a new Stig again?

The old guy, Ben Collins, outed himself in an autobiography. If you go back and watch older episodes, "touring car driver Ben Collins" features in quite a few of them, so it's quite possible that one of those guys is the new Stig.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I was cracking up at that shot of Jeremy (or was it James?) polishing the steering wheel while parked at a beat.

I know they aren't into doing serious reviews, but I'm surprised Jeremy didn't mention how ridiculously small the boot is on the Tiguan. I test drove one a couple of months back because my wife liked the look of them, and I couldn't believe that the boot is significantly smaller than the Golf's boot :wtf:

You can see it briefly when they toss the murder equipment in - it doesn't even fit properly!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Looks like an aircraft to me?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

pik_d posted:

I thought this episode was pretty awesome, the scripting didn't bother me at all. Looking forward to the P1 next episode.

Yeah this, basically. It was totally scripted, especially the last third with all the police equipment, but honestly who cares. I still found it pretty entertaining.

It's much more enjoyable if you watch the show, rather than stress about whether the drone footage was from a drone or a helicopter (who cares, it's still funny to watch Jeremy crash the drone on takeoff).

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

twoot posted:

I hope the weather gets better for the P1 tracktest, its been absolutely dreadful this week. The track was so waterlogged during this weeks test of the Zenvo STI that not even the Stig could get it around.

(according to somebody on another forum who works at the aerodrome)

I was wondering during the episode whether the super-lovely weather they had during the SIARPC segment was one of the reasons they didn't lap test the P1 - it really wouldn't surprise me.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Pretty fantastic episode all round really. Glad I didn't skip the interview this time around, as James Blunt was surprisingly interesting and funny.

Despite a pretty lackluster first week, this has been good series so far - definitely better than the last one.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Tsuru posted:

Finalgear is a great resource in case you're ever wondering what music they are using:

http://forums.finalgear.com/wts-tg-season-21/21x03-february-16th-2014-a-57487/

:stare:
I really shouldn't be, but even after nearly 20 years on the internet I'm still amazed by the little rabbitholes of :spergin: that exist in the most unlikely places.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

That was Dubai, I think. Westerners that go into debt leave everything behind, since they have debtor's prison.

Yeah, that bit where he got "pulled over" was in Dubai - this hotel was visible in the background.

Wasn't completely sold on this week's episode, the films themselves were all quite good but the other bits (Jeremy burning the pizza, the tablecloth, nit-picking over James's film etc) just felt like they were scrambling to fill time. But this episode was a few minutes longer the than the last few :confused:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

angryhampster posted:

I was curious about that as well. Obviously Hammond was also down there to review the 6x6 that was on last week's episode.

Abu Dhabi Film Corporation (or something similar) was listed in the credits, so I'd be interested in finding out whether they helped out financially with either segment. You might think it's ludicrous, but from a marketer's perspective having an extremely popular show filming in your facilities is fantastic publicity.

I thought the Porsche review was brilliant, though maybe not quite as good as the P1. That initial shot where they tracked down the entire straight to a close-up of Hammond, "let's make some noise", and then the car takes off was amazing - probably one of the best sequences I can ever remember them doing.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Aargh posted:

I've seen other shots of similar coloured flames coming out of other supercars like the Aventador, I just assumed it's unburnt fuel and they were replaying the shot. Does it happen all the time? Of course not but it looks cool, so what if they overused the shot.

The P1 has a blue flame thing going on with the exhaust as well, like at about 45 seconds onwards:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t1L5ShVR8w

Maybe it's something specific to the hybrid motors that the 918 and the P1 use?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Overall I though the Burma special was fantastic, both parts had me captivated. Definitely added to my destination list!

And yeah the India special was awful - Vietnam, Bolivia, Botswana and now Burma I think are the best. Honourable mention for the polar special as well, I remember it being great though I haven't watched it for a long time.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

marsisol posted:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Nile special yet. I thought that one was amazing. It's near the top for me along with Bolivia and Vietnam.

I was going to mention it, but I think that special was let down by such a weak second part. The first part was amazing, and I remember getting really excited for the second part, but it was just a complete and utter letdown.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

As someone who works in market research, this sort of stuff isn't that unusual. I agree that out of context it looks and sounds ridiculous, but you don't hear about the times it does get results. I'd guess their methodology failed in other areas as well.

Back on topic, this week's has to surely be one of the funniest they've ever done? I was dying with laughter almost the entire time

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Genix posted:

Anyone notice if they still have the Cool Wall in the studio? As it has to be at least a few seasons since it last made an appearance.

Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RICLEU7kK3Y

I'm almost certain I saw a glimpse of it at one point this week, but I don't have a screenshot on hand

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

Could anyone tell what Clarkson did to gently caress up the charging on the hybrid? I couldn't tell if he simply hadn't plugged it in properly or hadn't actually turned on the charging station.

It looked to me like he was supposed to pre-pay for charging time, but hadn't actually done that properly for whatever reason. I may be completely wrong though :v:

Another great episode, I was actually pretty keen on that i8 until they mentioned the actual fuel economy stats which are worse than my Golf :psyduck:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

Hammond's restored Land Rover was a nice gag.

Yeah I was laughing for a good few minutes about that. Normally I don't find Hammond that funny but he really sold it this time, especially that pained expression as he offered lame excuses like "I've been really busy"

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Powershift posted:

It would be great if they could get 30 of them together for the review. Let Ferrari sink their own loving ship.

This would be seriously awesome.

Failing that, they should just buy the Ferrari that Hammond insists is a proper Ferrari and Clarkson insists it isn't (the 308 I think?), put some "La Ferrari" decals on it and test it against the P1 and 918. Act extremely surprised when it comes in last, much hilarity ensues and Ferrari look like a bunch of arseholes.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Hammond's face while James was introducing the second part of the rescue film was absolutely brilliant.

I know the entire sequences are scripted, but I've always had the impression that Clarkson/May don't like Hammond that much so I can totally buy that they'd be in no hurry to rescue him :v:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Looks like Andy Wilman has quit TG as well:

Andy Wilman posted:

Well, at least we left ‘em wanting more. And that alone, when you think about it, is quite an achievement for a show that started 13 years ago. I know none of us wanted it to end this way, but for a moment I’d like us to look back and think about just what an incredible thing you all had a hand in creating. When Jane Root gave us the green light in 2002, the brief was to reinvigorate a car show and get an audience of three million. What you all ended up making was one of the most iconic programmes in TV history, a show about cars that went global, won countless awards, was devoured by non car fans and ended up in the Guinness Book of Records.

We had a lot of laughs, we had a lot of tiffs. We went to amazing places and we went to some shitholes. We nearly killed a presenter, we had to run for the border. We started off with whoever we could get in the Reasonably Priced Car, and ended up with Tom Cruise. Throughout all this we made television that was beautiful to look at and beautiful to listen to. The work ethic never slipped, the desire for everyone in this dysfunctional family to do right by the show never faltered. Jeremy, Richard and James, as the visible tip of the iceberg, got most of the attention and praise, but you all in your own fields had such an immense hand in weaving this unforgettable tapestry. I would love to single out everybody by name to thank them for what they did, but it’s impossible and I’d forget someone I shouldn’t have and that would be crap, so I’ll just say Jim, I’m sorry we never got a bear to drive an automatic.

For those of you who still rely on it for work, don’t worry, because the BBC will make sure the show continues. Our stint as guardians of Top Gear was a good one, but we were only part of the show’s history, not the whole of it. Those two words are bigger than us.

Anyway, when you’re feeling low in your working day at any point, look around at some of the crap on TV, then have a think about Top Gear, 2002- 2015, and say to yourself: “I made that.”

A big, big, big thank you, which will never be enough.

Andy.

Apparently he copied in Ben Collins on the email as well :laugh:

http://jalopnik.com/top-gears-head-producer-says-farewell-to-bbc-in-leaked-1694581344

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Wow, getting those three cars together would make for a hell of a first episode

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Interesting that the McLaren had the worst of the conditions and still came up trumps! Still looking forward to Not Gear's take on it though, as that video was kinda .. lacklustre?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I don't mind that actually, seems like they're going for a complete overhaul of the show. Whether it'll actually work is a completely different question!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

Looks like it'll be like Fifth Gear.

Looks like they should call it Sixth Gear :downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I still havent watched the last episode of "Top gear". Is it worth watching?

Yeah it's a pair of cheap car challenges that are pretty funny. The first is with classic cars (MG-B, Fiat 124 and a Peugeot 304), and the second is with SUVs (Vauxhall Frontera, Mitsubishi Pinin and Jeep Cherokee). The only studio segments are Hammond and May saying a few lines to camera introducing the film, while a large plastic elephant named Jeremy stands unmentioned in the background.