Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I think it would have come closer to working with a little more space and better traction then that slick concrete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Fejsze posted:

Didn't mythbusters prove that the tablecloth trick was faked?
Yes.

Comrade Flynn posted:

Anyone that's used launch control on a GTR knows how insane it is to do it in that short of a space. That must have been rear end puckering.
Some say the only time the Stig's rear end in a top hat puckers is when he's about to kiss the Queen on the lips.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Oh man, that Caterham 160 looks like so much fun.

http://uk.caterhamcars.com/cars/seven-160

This needs to be available in the US.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I think there are kits to take an old Miata donor chassis/drivetrain and put a Lotus 7/Caterham kit body on top. Would be pretty similar and a lot of fun I bet. Nice thing is because it starts with a Miata it's technically not a kit car and can be registered/driven just like a normal Miata. http://www.flyinmiata.com/westfield/westfield.php

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

nmfree posted:

Some say the only time the Stig's rear end in a top hat puckers is when he's about to kiss the Queen on the lips.
...He has lips? And an rear end in a top hat? :what:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Started watching this on Netflix because I sprained my ankle and my TV is rigged up to my PC anyway.

Is it even possible to get a decent time in Forza 4 with the Suzuki Liana on the Top Gear track? I always come in at like 2 minutes 30.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Loved the episode and everything about that Mercedes 6x6 G63 is awesome.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Cool Wall visible in the background in the last segment there... When's the last time they actually added to it?

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

So loving gorgeous :swoon:
Given Alfa's history I was blown away it wasn't a Zagato creation. Still loving gorgeous though...

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Tsuru posted:

Given Alfa's history I was blown away it wasn't a Zagato creation. Still loving gorgeous though...

It looked like an amazing 60s 50s, as I said all along, concept Alfa.

Vindolanda fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 24, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Vindolanda posted:

It looked like an amazing 60s concept Alfa.

50s concept Alfa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_Disco_Volante

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Acquilae posted:

Loved the episode and everything about that Mercedes 6x6 G63 is awesome.

They say they are only building a few of them, but i bet if anyone came to Mercedes with a half a million, they would do it.
I would buy that thing over most super cars.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
This is more loving like it. Less scripted unfunny challenges, more awesome cars! Best episode for a good couple of years.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Friar Zucchini posted:

...He has lips? And an rear end in a top hat? :what:

They're one and the same :butt:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Seeing the UAE Police in SLS AMGs, Ferrari FF and Lamborghini A-vent-A-doors makes me have a chuckle at my local police with their Vauxhall Astras, Mitsubishi colts and Lancer sportbacks.

Also, Mass Effect 3 OST used in the Disco Volante section

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I recall reading something about how a lot of people abandoned their expensive cars while fleeing the country, so maybe that's how they got them?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Falken posted:

Also, Mass Effect 3 OST used in the Disco Volante section

Tron: Legacy OST in the G63 6x6 section (one of my favorite soundtracks ever).

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
God that Mercedes is so loving cool.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

KozmoNaut posted:

Tron: Legacy OST in the G63 6x6 section (one of my favorite soundtracks ever).

They've been pulling from this heavily for years now, it seems. Works quite well.

jamal posted:

I recall reading something about how a lot of people abandoned their expensive cars while fleeing the country, so maybe that's how they got them?

That was Dubai, I think. Westerners that go into debt leave everything behind, since they have debtor's prison.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Sir Tonk posted:

That was Dubai, I think. Westerners that go into debt leave everything behind, since they have debtor's prison.

Yeah, that bit where he got "pulled over" was in Dubai - this hotel was visible in the background.

Wasn't completely sold on this week's episode, the films themselves were all quite good but the other bits (Jeremy burning the pizza, the tablecloth, nit-picking over James's film etc) just felt like they were scrambling to fill time. But this episode was a few minutes longer the than the last few :confused:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The most popular car show... IN THE WORLD!

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I am utterly astounded they were allowed to air that Pizza sequence.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
I think everyone knows full well what Jeremy thinks of health and safety.

(They probably signed waivers)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Alighieri posted:

Also enjoyed the new outside camera angle that faces in from the windscreen.

I noticed this, and I really liked it, too. Felt fresh and slightly different.

This was a great episode too. These episodes have been excellent. Only the first in this season was a bit silly.

Even had a SIARPC I didn't immediately skip to the lap on! They didn't stretch it out too much, and it's always funny seeing someone who hasn't even driven before attempt a lap.

The pizza thing was silly but short, so it by all means gets a pass because the episode was so good. All 3 car segments by each presenter were excellent, and Hammond finally had some time to shine - give him a ridiculous car and he's in his element.

I'm a little disappointed that after the tablecloth, they didn't mention that MythBusters tested the motorcycle tablecloth pull and it was found to be nonsense. Because the car is clearly superior to the bike!

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Feb 25, 2014

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
I'm sure Hammond had some asbestos underpants on or something.

Knobjockey
Jul 21, 2003

Crush your enemies.
Bang! and the alien is gone.
Hear the lamentation of Dr. Vahlen.

Philip J Fry posted:

I'm sure Hammond had some asbestos underpants on or something.

Gnomex.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Preoptopus posted:

They say they are only building a few of them, but i bet if anyone came to Mercedes with a half a million, they would do it.
I would buy that thing over most super cars.

Apparently I have at least one 6x6 and one 4x4 merc Gwagen cab chassis turning up in my workshop at work within a week or so. They will only have the 3.0L V6 Turbo diesel tho, not the batshit twin turbo 5.5L V8.

I am SO taking photos when they turn up!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

But do they have... overhead switches?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

At this point I wonder if anyone who actually writes a real letter to the show doesn't start it off with "Dear Top So-Called Gear..."

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Overhead switches should become standardized equipment for cars, like steering wheels.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

If you gave me overhead switches for everything and a starter button in the shifter like on the SLR McLaren, I could drive literally anything and feel like a cross between James Bond and a fighter pilot.

My dad's old work van had overhead switches for the electric windows. It was completely nonsensical and totally awesome.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Sir Tonk posted:

They've been pulling from this heavily for years now, it seems. Works quite well.

This confuses me because if they can use Daft Punk, well...why would they use anything other than Daft Punk?

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

A good episode. Watching made me think that the Sultan of Brunei is trying to sell some more of his toys and asked TG to come over again and help pitch them.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

AvesPKS posted:

This confuses me because if they can use Daft Punk, well...why would they use anything other than Daft Punk?

Throw in some Justice as well, and we agree 100%.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

KozmoNaut posted:

Throw in some Justice as well, and we agree 100%.

I'm surprised they're allowed to use so much film soundtrack bits, despite the unique way the BBC is funded they're not always in the music agreement so cost a hilarious amount of money, which can be explained through this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbrmaeiZ4RE&t=148s

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

If you gave me overhead switches for everything and a starter button in the shifter like on the SLR McLaren, I could drive literally anything and feel like a cross between James Bond and a fighter pilot.

My dad's old work van had overhead switches for the electric windows. It was completely nonsensical and totally awesome.

I used to have one for my sub so I could turn it off in residential areas. I'm now a grown-up but I'm trying to figure out a reason to rig something up to them. The windows sound like not the best idea.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Overhead switches don't actually need to be hooked up to anything. But you drat well flick a few of them about before starting the engine, while wearing Rayban Aviators and chewing gum with your mouth open to just the right measure of nonchalance.

Also, that tyre inflation system was fast. Must have a pretty decent tank backing it up. And were those Unimog portal axles?

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
I'm usually pretty good at suspending disbelief/being clueless during the scripted parts, but watching Hammond 'pilot' the 6x6 over the sand dunes was cringeworthy.

*Hammond screaming in truck with stationary background*
*truck flying off a sand dune*
*truck rolling down sand dune*
*truck driving onto onto level ground*
*Hammond talking about how scary it was while driving away*

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

triple clutcher posted:

I'm usually pretty good at suspending disbelief/being clueless during the scripted parts, but watching Hammond 'pilot' the 6x6 over the sand dunes was cringeworthy.

*truck flying off a sand dune*
*truck rolling down sand dune*
*truck driving onto onto level ground*
*Hammond talking about how scary it was while driving away*

That didn't happen though. They slightly messed with the camera angle to make the steep dune look a bit steeper, but I didn't see any of what you're talking about, and I just re-watched that segment to check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, I mean, what are you suggesting? That the truck went down the dunes but Hammond wasn't in it? Because nobody believes he'd actually do something dangerous?