Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Apparently Andy Wilman responded:

Seems fairly down to earth. Hopefully the season will be good.

Link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Ah, drat. I was tricked! Sorry, guys.

Maybe next year they'll come to Canada and point out our total lack of a car industry. It could end up in Hammond driving a Bricklin SV-1.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 6, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

echoplex posted:

Yeah, I didn't buy that Hammond was working on the Noble at all, but then I was really surprised to see one even opened up on location. I guess because it's not realy a super-hi tech exotic, it's easier to do, but I thought cars like that were impenetrable to anyone other than the manufacturer?
Any decent engineer at Noble is probably fully prepared for the company to go bankrupt and for the customers to be forced to fix it in a variety of experienced yet untrained garages.

It's kind of the Brit way in general.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm always surprised they mention the price on the supercars because it seems so totally irrelevant to anyone who would be cross-shopping them. It's not like there's some really-rich-but-not-really guy who would be bankrupt if he bought a 458 but suddenly be ok if he bought the Noble.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Fucknag posted:

So for the Corvair they just need to inflate the tires correctly? :v:
Personally, I think they should each pick a member of the general public/audience and have them do the challenges in order to figure out if the cars are actually dangerous to the layman or just dangerous to knobs.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

davebo posted:

Out of curiosity since it's a car-related tv show, does anyone else here watch Canada's Worst Driver?
We had a general car TV thread a few months back where it was discussed. There is a new season - they sent an entire team of people to Alberta this time to evaluate drivers because apparently the majority of their submissions (and majority of finalists) come from there.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Azim seems like a cool dude at least. I'm always happy when he does stuff right.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

jamal posted:

I'm watching 24 hours of Daytona. I've learned that speed is making a show called "RU faster than a redneck."

Also known as "prepared Pro Touring muscle cars up against some random guy from a 350Z forum."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr9IgelTyqo

Might actually be some good racing if they get evenly matched drivers.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I wonder if that Bentley had any braking ability left by the end of that run. It sure looked like it didn't.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
His brother owns that car. Bought it after that, though.

Here he is retrying it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMW_2_j2tTg

and a better angle of the original crash (really fast cameraman here):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWdPpHj07g0

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

b0nes posted:

That accent is horrible.

It's really not that bad compared to other Scottish people I've seen on TV.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE8T12-ZfW4

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That grey #5 Cee'd took a hell of a beating. I thought it was pretty impressive before half-time when it was tooling around with a caved in passenger side front door, but near the end the rear passenger door and drivers' door had both joined the fray along with a broken bumper cover and dented passenger quarter panel.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, I would watch a straight hour of Rutledge just buying weird 80s-90s cars and pointing out why they're weird.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

I love the cheap Porsche challenge. The part where Jeremy starts laughing in the narration when James' 944 spewed oil all over its pristine engine bay is always funny for me.

Not to mention May's self-satisfied expression when he does a four inch peel out for the elevenses challenge right after.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm sort of surprised he didn't just take the control arm off the car to weld it up, although maybe he needed to figure out attachment points and measuring in situ.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

echoplex posted:

Edd feels like Mike's abused wife who does all the hard work and doesn't really get the credit. At the end of each episode I keep hoping Edd will find the strength to leave him.

I always feel bad for Edd at the end of each episode. In some of them he doesn't even get to drive the car he worked so hard on. :smith:

Then again, Paul doesn't seem to get much screen time or credit for his work either (holding things up for Edd, doing drudgery like sanding and blocking).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm guessing they mean Vauxhall, who make the Astra and its various chav supersport versions.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

SpannerX posted:

Not UK or US TG, but Don't Drive Here is an interesting series so far. I've only seen the Manila one, but my god! Andrew Younghusband, the host, also does Canada's Worst Drivers, another one of my favourite shows.

I watched the Mexico City one - it was something else. He had to be part of a security convoy and drive like a total rear end in a top hat to do it.

It's sort of weird watching a Canadian try to consider the idea that in other parts of the world, the government (and traffic laws) are less important than whoever you are working for.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I noticed that on the first version too. I figured the uneven blade distribution must be something like a balancing/vibration issue like on old Porsche 911 engine fans.

It's even worse at the workshop before they take it on the road, I think more than one of the blades is missing then.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It really is amazing how naturally the Stig glommed onto the concept of having an extra set of wheels and weight connected to the back end of the car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'd do my shopping in that, I don't care what the comment section says. Just eat less.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Preoptopus posted:

Ha its like the only thingn I know about wales from James and Oz drunken stagger round Britain thing. what would a us state equivalent be of Wales.

Whichever one where the chief signwriter had a stroke:

But you can get around it by using some guy's Outlook out-of-office reply for all your signs:

quote:

When officials asked for the Welsh translation of a road sign, they thought the reply was what they needed.
Unfortunately, the e-mail response to Swansea council said in Welsh: "I am not in the office at the moment. Send any work to be translated".
So that was what went up under the English version which barred lorries from a road near a supermarket.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Edd China and James May teaming up would either be the best car show or the worst. Two and a half hours each episode of them drinking and talking about Triumphs.

I'm leaning towards best.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

DoombatINC posted:

My thoughts and prayers have been with the Toyota Tacoma during these difficult times :ohdear:

Twitter said the Hilux got taken away to some museum that has a Top Gear exhibit already.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Keeping chickens (and other small food animals) has become the hobby du jour amongst younger hipster women. All of my wife's friends are doing it now. I have been asked if we can have a goat like 5 times in the last month, and apparently "No, we live in a condo" isn't a reasonable answer as to why we can't.

You could start a lawn care business. Organic all-natural lawn mowing done the easy way.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Mister Kingdom posted:

Anybody catch Rutledge Wood's new show, Lost in Transmission? He and his mechanic friend restore crapped-out old cars.

One episode was enough for me.

For some reason it doesn't show up on either of the History channels here in Canada.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

tuna posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWCKq_yecnc

If you watch that short intro and think you're missing out on something then lol.

I can't see the intro in my country, so I'm clearly missing out on two things now.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

I'd say "Why don't we have this?" But I know Discovery would just pick some lovely American celebrity and do America's Worst Driver but it would be 10 times worse.

They did do it. I saw it in a hotel room in the US once, it was strange as hell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America%27s_Worst_Driver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Wow that's a terrible decision.