Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
They publish so many articles because they know they're guaranteed to get plenty of hits from people moaning that they dare to criticise that bully off the telly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

sean10mm posted:

I feel like there is some bizarre cultural gulf here because as a non-Brit well on the left, getting so spun up for so long over what's fundamentally a comedy built on old buffoons driving in circles is in all sincerity the stupidest motherfucking thing.

It probably doesn't come across in places which only get broadcasts of the show but Clarkson is quite a prominent figure in British public life. He's a member of the Chipping Norton set and friend's with the current Prime Minister. Anything that happens to him is thus a pretty major event.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Mooseykins posted:

I think my mum knows his wife.

I met him once at a car show.

Cameron or Clarkson's wife?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Why'd they have three seats if there were only two hosts?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Or the robot from Forbidden Planet.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

The Sun column doesn't say anything definitive whatsoever. All the players in this drama are keeping things vague for now. It really could play out in dozen of ways.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Loosing Top Gear would hurt Britain's international image.

Britain's international image does not rest on the BBC producing seven hours of footage of Clarkson pissing around a year.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

hopterque posted:

Other things that England produce that are beloved all over the world by millions:

Doctor Who, James Bond, Harry Potter, loads of other crap.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

hopterque posted:

This really shouldn't surprise me considering your posting in this thread, but still...

But what?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

I don't understand what I've done to not surprise you.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Mooseykins posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MPPUZwaafM

Start around 5:10.

Clarkson, when he dressed to a tee, and was an awful presenter.

There's something very Alan Partridge about that segment.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

NihilismNow posted:

James Bond is produced by a American company, Harry Potter has been done for years, Doctor Who is nowhere near as popular as Top Gear (very much not aired in 200+ territories).

Rowling's writing a spin off trilogy of Harry Potter films right now. Doctor Who is more popular than TG in the UK, it can sometimes get twice as many viewers. Doctor Who is also broadcast in 200 or so territories like Top Gear is. The latter is also yet to have an episode simultaneously broadcast in a hundred countries like the fiftieth anniversary special of Doctor Who was.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Measly Twerp posted:

So an extremely popular TV show with millions of viewers outside of the UK being cancelled won't change peoples perception of the UK?

No. It's just a TV show. They'll find something else to watch and won't base their opinions on a foreign country solely on some piece of entertainment they produce.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

spog posted:

Dear god, if there was any doubt that the Beeb needs TG, it's seeing how they struggle to fill the scheduling gap with a watchable replacement.

What were you expecting? They weren't going to be able to put together something new in the space of a week.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

The Mexico thing was genuinely them at their worst, though. They weren't saying anything particularly funny or even trying to make jokes they just randomly came out with a string of mean things about the country.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah it was supposed to be a riff on that Stewart Lee gag. I like Top Gear. Honest.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Let he who has not berated and assaulted a subordinate cast the first stone.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Looks like the image stabilizer had a few pints too.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Ross has been persona non grata at the BBC since the Sachsgate affair.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I'm no legal expert, but government prosecutors can appeal a courts decision?

Anyone can appeal a decision made by a court yeah.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Chris Evans radio show gets about ten million listeners, there's no way a show he fronts is going to be a ratings disaster.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

InitialDave posted:

By that logic Oprah could host it.

Maybe, but Evans is someone who has proven himself to be capable of competently hosting multiple ventures over the years both on the radio and television and always grabbed high viewing figures. I'd say because of that it's a relatively safe bet that the renewed show will find a sizable audience even if the retouched format (however it looks) might not suit everyone.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

People realise that Lee is like Clarkson in that he plays up an exaggerated caricature of himself to get a rise out of people right? What people are posting about Lee in the thread right now is the mirror image of the posters that come in here whining about some supposed slight of Clarkson's that they've taken out of context.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

hopterque posted:

I'm pretty sure most of us aren't idiots and "get" what lee's doing, but he's still terrible at it and his shows and that article are garbage.

I've paid to see them multiple times and have found them to be absolutely hilarious experiences. Contrary to the image most people present of him being uppity he makes fun of himself and the audience he attracts more than any other that I've seen.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Well aren't you just incredible and superior to all the living kingdom. Can I have the honor of giving your enormous dick a blowjob?

Jesus mate calm down. I had no idea that stating that I enjoyed a comedian would incite such a vitriolic response from people here.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Someone with a stick up his rear end about Top Gear, wishing that Hammond would actually have died during his drag racer crash. Unclear how serious the latter part was, but he was pretending to be serious about it during his shtick.

Congratulations on missing the entire point of the routine he was doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

If you think Stewart Lee wanted Hammond to die in the accident you're the same kind of idiot who thinks Clarkson wants to shoot people.