Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Negromancer posted:

Apparently Top Gear US is filming in Gainesville Florida tomorrow. I am down here for a wedding and saw a bunch of no parking signs downtown for it. Not really a fan of the US one, but it might be interesting to stop by and see what they are doing.

Used to live in Gainesville and have quite a few friends that live out that way. Didn't know this until too late. drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So apparently there's a Top Gear South Korea. Has anyone seen how it compares to the US or UK (or god forbid, the Australian) version?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Powershift posted:

Look at a loving map.

They were trying to drive to the bottom of the world.

If you've got to draw big red Xs across parts of the world england pissed off, and say they're not allowed to go there, the world starts looking pretty loving small.

And that's without adding the places Top Gear themselves pissed off.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cakefool posted:

Which end am I looking at?

The bell

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Honestly, giving those cars thousands of miles and putting it through hell and back would probably only increase the cost simply due to the fact that it was on Top Gear and driven (and potentially customized) by one of the hosts.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I forgot to post about it when I watched the preview but are they doing a crossover with US Top Gear this year? I heard "Don't let American Top Gear lap us" during one of the clips they showed.

Is it American or "American"?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

mods please move thread to gbs, tia.

Fixed

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
But see, yelling at employees is bad and there should be zero tolerance for it because it is wrong and abusive for the employee and the person doing the yelling should be fired even if they own/run whatever it is they do

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

IndianaZoidberg posted:

On the Netflix thing. From what I read, basically Netflix is willing to give Clarkson anything he wants and give him free reign of to make anything he wants.

How much could he get away with on Netflix? Probably murder.

Source?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Iridium posted:

He filmed that with an iPad. =(

Maybe we can get a low-scale GoFundMe thing together for him to spring for a few GoPros.

He's just too lazy and too busy making pies to buy an actual camera

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

I kind of want to try his recipe, but I'd swap the mushrooms for some diced bacon because I'm from America.

gently caress it, use both. Also I'd sub in pork instead of lamb but that's more an availability thing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Two Finger posted:

and that there were exactly two cars of that spec even available at the time

Except the one they chose was of a higher quality at time of purchase

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CBJamo posted:

I think they could re-invent a bit. Same guys, same comradery, new segments. They're clever guys, and I'm sure they can come up with some new stuff that will be great. Not that I don't want some of the old stuff, too. I'm especially hoping for more cheap car challenges.

There's definitely a chance to throw out a bit of cruft that no one really cared for like SiaRPC segments with people only there to shill some movie or TV show as opposed to guys like Atkinson or Leno who are gearheads. Other segments tend to attract one of the many different audiences attracted to the key bits of Top Gear. I skip over a lot of solo segments where they review some luxury or super car, but I'd understand that there are people who like it so it probably doesn't need cutting just like the segments where it's basically the three of them making GBS threads around with budget vehicles

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

mrking posted:

I'm pretty sure Netflix didn't make those edits, and that they were made specifically for American broadcast channels.

Yeah, I think that was on BBC's end that they didn't renew everything so Netflix scaled BBC content back for other stuff

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MattD1zzl3 posted:

"Have i got cars for you?"

(actually a rotating cast and a reformat would do the show a lot of good. 75% or more fewer goofy road trips please, i've been sick of those since about season 11.)

Why do you hate fun?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

I'm honestly a bit disappointed there wasn't any indication of BBC considering Rowan Atkinson or Atkinson turning them down. Sure he's in his 60s now, but that just means he can't do the more daring bits without extra reassurances. Clarkson is the oldest of the old trio and he's 55 while still doing their shenanigans.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

sbaldrick posted:

He's basically retired for acting so I don't think he would want the job even if offered.

He does minor roles and commercials though. He's probably set for life from Mr Bean and Blackadder fwiw, but it's not as though he'd outright refuse I think. His SiaRPC segment is one of my favorites too.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
To follow up on the Rowan Atkinson topic, this might be why he's not up for Top Gear. He's on ITV
https://www.facebook.com/ItvDrama/videos/976534212402426/

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I like how 4chan is set up, though the previous lack of embedded quotes was a bit difficult for some.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MrOnBicycle posted:

Hopefully the whole durability mentality will become a thing again when people realize that buying lovely plastic stuff / cheap clothes that last way too short of a time sucks for the wallet and the environment. A perfect example is shaving, I don't know how much I've saved by buying a 1960's Gillette Safety Razor and stocking up on feather razors, while also getting a much better shave, compared to buying cheap and/or expensive lovely razors in combination with shaving cream in cans. Imagine how much plastic wouldn't be wasted if people went back to using safety razors, while also getting better shaves. Win win.

The cost analysis to a typical shopper doesn't really help in that regard unfortunately. For those who can't afford more expensive, more durable products, they're forced to go with the cheaper ones even though it's more expensive in the long term. Additionally, while others might be able to afford it, price point tends to supersede durability for consumers as the long term savings are very apparent, and there's no guarantee on the durability of a particular product, especially if it might exceed the lifespan of the consumer's foreseen use of the product (likely no more than a year for any consumer goods). Finally, the producers don't really see that much of a point in increasing durability if the return on investment isn't worth it. In general, it costs more to increase the durability of a product than to reduce it and if there's fewer being bought, then it compounds the losses made. The only foreseeable exception to that is if sales on peripherals can compensate for the losses (ex: video games, cellular phones, computers)

Cars make a point of advertising durability since their effective use lifespan for the buyer is much greater when compared to something like a razor or a blender.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Since I had the free time and the lack of Top Gear shennanigans is getting to me, I decided to crack open some episodes of Top Gear US. Besides avoiding Season 1, any episodes I should prioritize/avoid?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ApathyGifted posted:

So they traded someone who couldn't perform his job with the level of decorum expected by the BBC and replaced him with someone who can.

You're saying that they're the same, ponce for ponce?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

hopterque posted:

they traded an idiot for another idiot, is basically the gist.

also it's a play on the phrase "ounce for ounce"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

The only good star in a car segments were when they had Americans on like Jay Leno or Tom Cruise. Everyone else was snooze-fest.

The Rowan Atkinson one was good too

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
We can only hope BBC learns from the fan response from this season and fixes the major bits for the next one.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

The BBC are in full damage control mode already.

How are they explaining Evans's poor presenting?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It'd be sorta cute if Clarkson and Hammond got their daughters onto their new show and had a race or some other competition for fun (or raced against their dads). May gets a surrogate substitute for his nonexistent child.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

pik_d posted:

Other than the interview bit, that episode was a lot better than the first one. Maybe it was just that the challenge was a lot better, the cheating was sneakier, and they got the guests involved.

Edit: hOly gently caress lmao

https://twitter.com/achrisevans/status/739790145940033537

I assume someone already retweeted his tweet crowing about how the premiere (FACT) had the highest ratings for the night and for any Top Gear premiere?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Keeping that in mind, I think Nu-New Top gear has potential. They're certainly better than any other top gear reboot was on episode 2. The beeb should stick to their guns, Keep Evans/Leblanc/Jordan together and just have the other two constantly make fun of Chris Evans for being a jackass. I'd watch the hell out of that.

I touched on this before, but if i'm in the writers room i'd just say "Embrace the hate, make jokes about the internet reaction". The BBC needs top gear to work, thats the ultimate job security. Acknowledging the criticism with a smile would take all the teeth out of it.

It'd work if Evans didn't seem to have skin like wet rice paper

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

pik_d posted:

Can we at least specify which Chris?

It's a double meaning. The BBC seems to be ignoring Harris and everyone actually hates Evans

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ika posted:

Going by the titles, I think alot of that is on the DVDs as extras.

E: There is a playlist of unseen footage here, some of it is indeed new:

I've not seen most of these before so either I don't watch enough deleted scenes or it's all quite new. That being said, here's an outtake and what amounts to an outtake involving a blown tire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-nvW_0mQOc

Edit: Here's another one where they're literally taking the piss out of each other and goddamn I don't think Evans of all of them would be able to handle that sort of ribbing ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq7QPr5S9Uo

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jun 11, 2016

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I dunno, Matt has dropped a few scripted ones on Evans, but it feels like he really, really loathes the guy and enjoys dropping them on him.

And if your viewership has dropped to a quarter of its previous amount, you don't have a 'broader' appeal. I don't know how you could even get that from that. Whoever posted that comic strip of the dog in the housefire going "this is fine." really nailed it.

Now Photoshop it with Evans

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Jehde posted:

And the hugging. Needs more swearing and calling eachother names.

Hi-fiving and hugging between mates is something done in private or on the pitch. Swearing and taking the piss out of each other is what real mates do. That's how you could tell how close the old Top Gear guys were.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Load them up with a few pints for a segment and see if that'll improve chemistry and camaraderie. Alternatively, drunken hijinks.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

GutBomb posted:

You're not the only one, dude. I don't hate her or anything, I just don't think this is the role for her. It was the same when she appeared on fifth gear. She's just not a good presenter. I loved her segments with Jeremy in the jag and the van on the ring. I also loved Mika Hakkinen's segment with James but I don't think he would fit as a host either.

Being a good presenter is something that can be developed (presumably). It just takes proper direction which New Top Gear seems to be dropping the ball with in that regard as they never had to really do that with the old trio.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Grater posted:

I still never liked it nearly as much as the original but I agree, this season has been pretty solid. Hopefully another network picks it up, I never thought History was the right channel for the program.

Yeah. Maybe The Science Channel, Esquire or maybe even Discovery could pick it up

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

sean10mm posted:

All the presenters were new... and he took the writing staff down to one guy?

:master:

Again, who the gently caress thought letting Evans be the creative lead as well as host was a good idea and why has this person or people not been outed and sacked?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Wheeee posted:

Only if he stays in character as Mr. Bean the entire time.

Atkinson is pretty good in other roles too you know.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
For reference as to why Rowan might be at least an above average Top Gear host, his SiaRPC segment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOg_smPzq5A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

This is potentially more representative of Hollywood, FL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kePb8gCV5M&t=6s