Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Powershift posted:

The suggestion that the laferrari-p1-918 comparo won't happen because ferrari doesn't lend top gear cars.

I would agree. Didn't they need to borrow an Enzo because Ferrari wouldn't lend it to them?

Also the Ferrari FXX timed lap was driven by Schumacher and Top Gear took the time down when they realized Ferrari had slipped racing slick tires on.

I assume Mclaren and Porsche wouldn't appreciate the direct comparison either. All three of them have come up with extremely similar cars that were supposed to be unique at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The cheap car challenges before they got all zany will always hold a place in my heart. Particularly because I have fond memories of my broke parents making increasingly irrational car purchases like a Triumph TR7 and a VW beetle on the cheap and seeing the drama unfold.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Jeremy says the last good looking porsche was the 928 :colbert:

It was actually the 944

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Part of me wishes they would've playing the sad RoboCop music while the mob was throwing stones at them.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

My favorite part of the Falklands war was when the Argentinians didn't realize the range of there missiles were significantly less then the British. Resulting in the British parking their ships just out of range and blasting the hell out of them.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ola posted:

Where did you here this? I'm afraid the Exocet missiles had pretty good range and caused a significant amount of the total causalities suffered by the British. Two ships sunk, a third damaged. What part of this is your most favorite?

It was second hand information. No need to go Argentinian on me.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Fo3 posted:

Thread was better when the plate argument didn't show up again.

Agreed.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ola posted:

See, this is what an Argie would say.

You should spend less time shitposting here and more time crying over the fact that a handful of limeys were blown up by a third world country 30 years ago.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

holocaust bloopers posted:

To be fair, the 928 did sustain some serious damage. And the Mustang took a few hits as well. I'm curious about what kind of mechanical service they provide during these trips.

I would imagine quite alot, the mustang had a skid plate on it which the production crew probably put on before they started.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

spog posted:

I can sympathise with this. On the other hand, you've probably bodged something, or know that the gearbox is about to go, so you feel less guilty about the new owner suffering with the car you sold them.

Pretty much this. The power steering in the mustang went pretty quick. Its pretty rare that they get a good fully working car in the challenges and when they do its usually something like a Mitsubishi starion. The Lotus was surprising because it was a desirable car that did actually work.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

neckbeard posted:

I'm finding it weird that they're hating on Lamborghini for the design being too restrained. Excluding the low production models Sesto Elemento and Veneno, the only model in recent history that had real crazy styling was the Murciélago SV.

Its been a common complaint ever since Audi bought them. I don't think they need to rehash that every review though.

Really though Lambo should just put out batshit models and if you want a boring reliable supercar buy the R8

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ola posted:

"There's no reason to open the hood unless it's in the shop". Isn't that the wiper fluid container down there?

Could be the coolant reservoir, didn't get a close enough look but it looks like the coolant reservoir from a mk3 golf.

That whole thing looks like its made of glass based on that vehicle. Touch anything and it breaks.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I enjoyed Jeremy's explanation that the Ferrari would come with 17 turbos on it if it wasn't a customer car.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

T1g4h posted:

Actually, speaking of the new Ferrari, do the stalk mirrors look really weird to anyone else? I never noticed them that much before, but last night's TG made me realize just how much they really stick out.

Yeah, they look stupid on the pagani too. They always seem like an after thought. The whole car is a really angular design and then you have these curved stalks.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

It probably would've been a non story if the Ferrari was something like 0.2 seconds behind the other two. People would talk about it for a week then totally forget about it.

I don't really understand why Ferrari gets so defensive about reviews, they've got the most brand equity of any super car makers where buyers are willing to buy one of their cars purely for the nameplate. I highly doubt any potential La Ferrari buyers would change their mind and buy a P1 just because it was faster.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

What exactly is a fracas?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Bajaha posted:

:(

Of all the things Clarkson has done over the years, either as his t.v. persona or himself in specific, I wonder what the hell he's done that they're not airing this Sunday, supposedly?

Any guesses?

Logistically speaking they film the in studio portions the weekend it airs so that's why they can't air the episode.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm a left leaning person but this whole witchhunting culture the past few years where "if you say x, y or z you're a racist" has gotten out of control.

90% of the "hate" for Clarkson was because he made a couple of jokes that didn't sit well with some people and instead of turning the TV off they've turned it into some sort of controversy in a lovely lame attempt to get him off the air. These people are so bothered by a loving bad joke that they're trying to get him off the air.

And I'd be fine with this if that was the only effect. But its actually hurting the fight against racism more then its helping. The real racists aren't making jokes they're actually discriminating against minorities, and instead of going after these people we're too busy word policing everyone.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

After seeing the huge disconnect between his supposed charity auction "rant" and what it was like in the recording I can't help but wonder if the 20 minute verbal assault was something similar. Clarkson being a whiny bitch baby for twenty minutes while piss drunk.

Usually you don't physically assault somebody after 20 minutes of taking the piss out of them for laughs though

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Symphoric posted:

If you can't see the difference between cancelling a show nobody watches and tanking what must be the most popular show in the world then yeah, you REALLY aren't worth arguing with.

Your argument is essentially that Clarkson should've been given a free pass to be an rear end in a top hat because he brings in money. Which Ayn Rand book is your favorite?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H-Y7MAASkg

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

captainOrbital posted:

If we're going to do "Fantasy Englishmen on Top Gear," I'd like to add Karl Pilkington and Pegg/Frost.

Edit: Or Nicko McBrain. I feel he'd be hilarious (and barefoot).

Even though there's zero chance of that happening I'd love to see a cheap Porsche challenge where he has a moan that its too posh and all you really need is a ford cortina.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Doug Stanhope is cool if you're an edgy 17 year old militant atheist

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

You Am I posted:

I think it was more of David Lee Roth's idea on that contract rider

The idea for that was fairly ingenious. Somebody was talking about it and they pretty much said they put that in there because if there were brown M&Ms it was typically a red flag that other parts of the rider that actually needed to be met probably needed to be looked at because the staff obviously hadn't read the rider.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

IOwnCalculus posted:

You might have to fight the F1 thread for that.

The F1 thread earned that title and this thread isn't even remotely close to getting to that level yet.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Half the reason I bought an account here was for the F1 thread.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Its in SAS

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

kimbo305 posted:

Doug Demuro just put this out: http://jalopnik.com/what-happens-to-press-cars-when-the-press-is-done-with-1747509578
With not much to back his claim up, he says most cars get sold to retail customers.

I'd be willing to bet with nothing to go on that most press cars that end up in the public's hands probably get sold to be crushed, guy who owns the junkyard takes a look at it and thinks to himself "That actually doesn't look too bad, there's money to be made here", vehicle goes to auction.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ola posted:

BBC has a new series of James May's Cars of the People.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06z98lc/james-mays-cars-of-the-people-series-2-episode-1

In it, James May suggests we get rid of the Morris Minor as a symbol of britishness. He compares it to a popular television show, getting rid of it would hurt at first, then everyone would get over it...

gently caress yes. I loved the first series.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

They really should've gotten Eddie Irvine if they wanted an F1 connection and I don't know how nobody thought of that anywhere in the process of signing Jordan.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

meatpimp posted:

If you do not like the way the Top Gear thread is going, when there is currently no such thing as Top Gear, then please provide us with new Top Gear information that we can discuss.

http://sniffpetrol.com/the-naan-bread/#.VvQhN3NMHqA

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CornHolio posted:

I'm curious, I just finished Richard Porter's book about Top Gear and he seemed like he was pretty close with Wilman and the guys. Anybody know if he's still on Top Gear or if he went with Wilman?

On the podcast he does the last mention he made of it was that he had an offer from both shows and was considering either direction. He seemed quite upset with Jeremy at the end of the book so it could go either way.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ola posted:

Yeah, that was peak James May.

I quite enjoyed it. Mostly because I'm exactly the same working on my kart, I just putter about and take forever while marvelling at the genius of certain components.

I'm also ridiculously jealous of the toolbox he has because I've been searching for one like that for a while now.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

It is actually pretty amazing when you realize manufacturing processes were complete poo poo back then so they just overbuilt everything to compensate. Which is why you get stuff from that era lasts forever.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

That article reads like the normal entertainment gossip dribble. Not too sure how much stock I'd put in it.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

This is a minor F1 nerd point but I like that they signed Eddie Jordan because he "has a huge Formula 1 background. When he talks about a car’s performance that guy knows what he’s talking about."

I watched a documentary he was in that was released a month ago and he outright says he never really was strong on the engineering side and he succeeded more because he was good at the commerical side of the sport. Again this was a month ago.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

fyodor posted:

Anyone who has actually heard Eddie Jordan blather on at any length knows that he is 1) really short, 2) really loving stupid and 3) really loving annoying.

Its pretty clear that they signed him because he was bringing some F1 credibility with a modicum of charisma. The issue is that his strength as an F1 pundit has been his knowledge of the commercial side of the sport and really doesn't have a lot of technical insight which makes me wonder what role he is actually supposed to serve.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Holy poo poo this is a colossal misfire. I'm only 4 minutes in but its actually quite funny how bad this is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

This is just painful to watch.

I had a cursory knowledge that Chris Evans was bad but holy poo poo.