Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

japtor posted:

"shuffle shuffle shuffle shuffle"
I'm greatly disappointed that they didn't do the third challenge, where Richard would "perform an act on himself" while driving.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

sbaldrick posted:

They should also do the Alaska highway in cheap "people's cars"
I don't know if Robins could survive that kind of trip. But I'd sure like to find out!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Jut posted:

You mean that wasn't staged like pretty much everything else they do?
No, it was staged like pretty much everything else that they do.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Tricky Ed posted:

Did D-Motor and/or TGAUS show their version of the crossover episodes ever, or were they just on TGUK? I'd love to see both sides of the challenges.
IIRC Top Gear Australia did, they called it "From the Ashes" or something because it was used to revive the show. I believe it was the exact same as the UK episode, maybe edited for time?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Words cannot describe how disappointed I was that one of them (I would have guessed Rutledge) didn't pull a Smokey Yunick and fit a 2" fuel line to their "stock" car to increase fuel capacity.

If ya' ain't cheatin', ya' ain't tryin' :clint:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

I'm pretending that this is a combination of "impostor" and "impure", and it makes more sense than either of those words alone.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Has it been mentioned there's a Hammond special featuring the cars of James Bond airing tonight on BBC2? Because if not, there you go. Also, it will be reaired on BBC America "on 12th November 2012 at 8:30pm".

Related: Hammond can recognize a good short joke.

jdfording posted:

Chasing Classic Cars is ok but it's all about the $$ with Wayne.
Is it bad that I root for Wayne to get ripped off every time he tries to auction a car off?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

This was a fun little show. Ben Collins (former Stig) showing up was entertaining.
"Nice shirt, did you pay for that?"
"Yeah, it was on sale."

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Also I see why the US airing is delayed, since it has minor Skyfall spoilers.
It would have been delayed anyway, because, well, :BBC:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

CornHolio posted:

Yeah I was waiting for the Beetle to at least make an appearance.
I genuinely thought that when the "winning" car crested the hill as the big reveal at the end it would be a Beetle. Even by their own standards it should have been in the running, since VW certainly knew better than to make such a crappy car.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

I can hardly wait for January 27th! :derp:

wha...what? They filmed trips in 'Murrica and Africa? :aaaaa:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Seven more days and our long international nightmare will be over!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

McDragon posted:

That was a pretty great episode I thought. And drawing an enormous cock and balls with a car will always be funny to me.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

I'm probably the only one who cracked up watching James walk away in this scene.

(If only the road had played the theme song from The Incredible Hulk instead of the William Tell Overture.)

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

...but it is animated? Why would I have made that post with an image and not animated it? :confused:

edit: plays just fine for me in two different browsers.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Most men start looking like lesbians when they get older, Jeremy was just doing it in reverse.

synapseattack posted:

Looks more like he was auditioning to be one of the new Bushwackers in the WWE.
I was thinking more the angry quick walk from Scrubs. I'd post a .gif but imgur has a 2MB size limit.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

OldPueblo posted:

I could've sworn Clarkson lost a race where he took a train and May beat him in a car. Hammond was on a bike.
That's correct.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

This time it wasn't even that they used a Top Gear UK challenge, they blatantly ripped off the three vehicles from the original as well.

Although I loved Rutledge's Honda, and I don't care if it makes me a bad person, I want to try building something like that someday.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

(I wish they had a more close-up shot of the dong board, because I'm still 13 years old.)

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That grey #5 Cee'd took a hell of a beating.
Not as bad off as the #1:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Drakkel posted:

Yeah, May tweeted a while back that there'd be a new season sometime after Top Gear's current series is over.
He also said there would be a Christmas special, which never materialized, maybe it's forthcoming too? :shobon:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Philip J Fry posted:

They said the x-mas special would air in February but there's only one Sunday left and still two more season episodes to get through. :confused:
The post I quoted was talking about Man Lab, not Top Gear. James May posted on Twitter that they were filming a Chrismas Episode of Man Lab, which hasn't aired yet.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Foehammer007 posted:

The did do a 100 pounds car challenge, they bought three used cars and drove to Old Trafford and back. S4E3, I believe.
Correct.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

McDragon posted:

Right, for me that was definitely the best Special they've done. The whole little bit where they revealed they'd cannibalised each others cars was great.
CCCCLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRKKKKKKKKKSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNN
And James going on and on about how poor of a job Jeremy did is what put it really over the top.

nmfree fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 11, 2013

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Kenshin posted:

Me as well.
Me four.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Data Graham posted:

Wasn't the "Hammond" in the welding mask wearing a sidearm?

No, that's a multitool.

Also, I actually believe that while the support mechanic probably did a good bit of work, Hammond actually did at least some of the real work on the car himself. Both he and May have taken up restoring old vehicles as a hobby, so they both will know at least something about doing basic repairs, welding, etc.

Or maybe the mechanic did all of the work and this was just a beauty shot. v:shobon:v

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Powershift posted:

In England, a multitool is considered a side-arm as it has a 2" blade on it.

Vindolanda posted:

Has to be above 3" (and locking) to kill nuns, babies, wedding parties and other innocents in Britain

Either way, God bless America.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

...Welcome to Top Gear, the world's leading motoring show. :raise:

Data Graham posted:

Someone please train these guys how to pronounce "pie-ella" though.
If it's good enough for Jacques Pepin it's good enough for me.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

FIRE SYSTEM PRESSURE OK

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

I would be OK with an entire hour long Top Gear episode of all the guys driving somewhere boring in boring cars in real time. I bet the James May one would be a fascinating discussion of mechanics and machines.
James May already did that. It's where we found out that he doesn't actually know how to get to work.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

echomadman posted:

I laughed really hard at Pikeys Peak though.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Cat Terrist posted:

If by passion you mean a bored Italian who only gives a poo poo about scoring a root with the dark haired waitress with the big tits at the bar, sure.
I... wasn't aware there was another definition of "passion".

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

I'll go ahead and be that guy: what the hell was this all about?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Fejsze posted:

Didn't mythbusters prove that the tablecloth trick was faked?
Yes.

Comrade Flynn posted:

Anyone that's used launch control on a GTR knows how insane it is to do it in that short of a space. That must have been rear end puckering.
Some say the only time the Stig's rear end in a top hat puckers is when he's about to kiss the Queen on the lips.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Cyclists. Red and Green.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

You Am I posted:

And a Morris Marina
With 2 pianos already strapped to the roof.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

fyodor posted:

So the last two episodes are the Burma bullshit. We'll see you in July, though, for the poo poo you really wanted to see.
No, we'll see you in 5 minutes for the poo poo you really wanted to see. :colbert:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

I was surprised that we got the "CLARRRKKSSSOOONN!" in this episode instead of waiting for the beginning of next one, like the Africa special.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

All of the people saying how bad the India special was need to calm down and eat some British muff

murphle posted:

It was a long way to go for an unnecessary racist joke (54:30). "But, there's a slope on it."
Is that what they were talking about? That went completely over my head.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Data Graham posted:

But they already have one? :confused:
Commence 6 pages of the thread arguing who it would really be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Data Graham posted:

I just find it really hard to believe that in a country as big as this one they couldn't put together a cast of three people who could be a) funny, b) knowledgeable enough about cars to make useful observations and knowing jokes about them rather than "German people collect mechanical pencils or whatever", and c) willing and able to hold themselves together in a supercar for long enough to make the audience feel like driving a high-end car on a track is something to which any schmoe might aspire, instead of something only the hired professional ringer should ever be allowed to do.
There are people like that. The problem is that anyone who can do those things will occasionally say negative things about car manufacturers who advertise on the show/network, and we can't have that, now can we?