Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
I wish people would stop trying to psychoanalyze Clarkson or figure out Stuart Lee or whatever his name is and either just:

a) Shut up and watch the show and enjoy it, or
b) Shut up and not watch the show, and don't post in threads saying how horrible Clarkson is or how much of his opinion is an "act."

It's a loving TV show. Everyone needs to get over themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

leica posted:

I wish people would stop telling people not to post in a discussion forum :colbert:

Normally I would agree with you and Manny, but how many times has this been beaten to death? It's not like this is the first thread with people debating the merits of Top Gear. It's a thread about Series 18 and what's coming up - not to rehash "racist" comments that Clarkson made or whatever people's reaction to those are.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

mobby_6kl posted:

Leyland Jaaaag

That was a Ford-era Jag with the 6. About a billion times more reliable than the old v12 XJS.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

christ is that guy illiterate?

I was thinking the same thing. I figured it had to be someone impersonating him. Either that or it's hard for him to post on the internet through a veil of tears.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post
Good Lord, is there anybody left who isn't a whiney bitch about things? Does the American ambassador complain when Top Gear makes fun of Americans?

I'd rather them yank TG off the air then change the format to some boring, lifeless format like pre-relaunch TG was.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

KuruMonkey posted:

There is the happy middle ground; keep the general format, but stop lazily pretending that casual xenophobia and clumsy racial stereotypes are 'entertainment'.

Of course; that does raise the problem that Clarkson is, really, a one-trick-pony, and that trick is 'being hilariously right wing for pay'.

Or, perhaps, you're just being too sensitive. Either way, if you're so offended, don't watch. Don't punish me by making it so that I can't be entertained by the show in it's current format.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post
Clarkson really had a good point. In 5 years they went from building bike/trike/motorcycle car things to building solid, if not "meh" cars. In another 5 years, they're probably going to be churning out some really good stuff.

A few years ago I would have never considered seriously looking at a Hyundai or Kia. Now the Velocter Turbo and the Optima Turbo are on my radar as cars that I'd really like to own. I'm willing to bet that once the Chinese start building cars at that same level of quality and are priced competitively they're going to do really well.

We'll probably see giant import tariffs on Chinese cars in the USA, if only to allow GM/Ford/Chrysler to compete against them.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

EvilMoFo posted:

what I kinda expect them to do was get the knockoffs and test/rail them, like get the pseudo x5 and compare it to a real x5

Doubtful that the Chinese government would let them do that.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post
I really like TGUSA, but they really need to stop with the whole blatant sabotaging of each others stuff. When they were all divvying up what stuff was going to be crushed you just knew that someone would end up just wantonly wrecking someone's stuff just for the hell of it.

It's funny every once in a while. Not funny in every single episode.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

Dr JonboyG posted:

I don't have to suffer Clarkson and Hammond being giant loving cunts who need to be first against the wall when the revolution comes.

At what point in time do you stop watching?

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

Jusupov posted:

Show would be better if the other two could drive also.

Wonder what they had there that they had to clonestamp

Probably a road.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post
I really liked this episode. It got quite a few laughs out of me. To be honest, I wish UK Top Gear would dispense with SIRPC and maybe tone down the reviews of super cars and just do fun challenges like these more often.

CornHolio posted:

isn't really going to go very far in getting people to put away their gigantic SUVs and such.

I'd like to think that the folks watching Top Gear are able to make informed decisions about their vehicles without needing to base their decisions on an automotive themed comedy show.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

Viggen posted:

Much like denizens of an automotive themed comedy subforum?

Point taken.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post
For some reason it seems like the UK shows are longer, even with me fast forwarding through the SIARPC segments.

Like, I feel like TGUK could have done these challenges, done a speed lap, done the news, and reviewed a supercar all in the same amount of time.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

FogHelmut posted:

US is only 40 minutes or so, and half of that time is spent retelling you what you just watched, or telling you what you're going to watch.

Well, I meant as it was originally edited.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

CornHolio posted:

Yeah I don't mind them not showing fast, expensive cars. TGUK does that fine already, and besides, there are a hundred other places I can watch people hoon cars I'll never afford.

Same here. I'd much rather see reviews of cars that I could potentially afford. Seeing endless variations of the (more or less) same Lambo gets boring (to me, at least.)

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post
I really do think that Rut and Adam should start spending time at driving school. They don't need to be as good as Tanner, but it'd be nice to see them hold their own like Clarkson, May, and Hammond do on the track.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post
Yeah. Not a good episode, I think.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post
Not for nothing, but the episode aired. There's no need for spoiler tags.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

Cojawfee posted:

I haven't watched his wine things, but I haven't been bored by anything May has done yet. He takes on boring subjects and makes them interesting with history and knowledge.

Oz and James Big Wine Adventure and Oz and James Drink to Britain are really, really good.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post
Did it seem like they prepped the limo to be sliced in half when the Crown Vic sailed through it? It just seemed to snap in half a bit too easy.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post
Not for nothing, but the kitchen at the hotel closed at 10pm. If I had been filming all day (assuming that they started before lunch time) with probably not much of a break or lunch and then finally, after a long day (probably 12-16 hours), all I wanted was a hot meal and get told that all there is are cold meats and cheese I'd be royally pissed to.

The producer deserved the dressing down. It's his job to make sure that people get fed decently and he hosed it up. He didn't deserve Clarkson hitting him for sure, but people are all "oh Clarkson had a tantrum because he couldn't get food" - I'm sure it's a lot more complicated than that.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

ukle posted:

Reportedly filming finished after 7pm, but Clarkson, Hammond and May decided to spend the evening in a pub getting pissed instead of going back to the Hotel as arranged. The Hotel staff who had been waiting for them were allowed to go home at 10pm. All this would never have happened if they hadn't acted like idiots and instead of staying at the pub went back to the hotel and had drinks there.

Ok, well if that is true then that changes a lot. I hadn't heard that version of events.

Why wouldn't they just get some food at the pub?

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post
I bet Jeremy is happy that he sold his share of Top Gear back to the BBC since it's very likely that it won't be worth nearly as much with a new cast.

ukle posted:

North Yorkshire Police are now investigating the incident.

Why'd they wait? They could have done their investigation simultaneously with the BBC. Now this will get dragged out in the media longer.

ZippySLC fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 25, 2015

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post
I wish they had released the timeline of events. Did Jeremy, Richard, and James go to a pub for hours or did they finish shooting late, get to the hotel, and discover that there was no food service?

Because if it's the latter it's absolutely the producers job to make sure that the talent (and crew!) get fed. Still no excuse for throwing a punch, but the BBC can't rightly say that this happened through no fault of Oisin's.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post
Oz and James Go Somewhere and Drink More Things

pls.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

wayfinder posted:

What a load of bullshit, nobody deserves a 20 minute shouting-at for a catering mishap.

It's not a catering mishap, it's not doing your job.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

Cubey posted:

I wasn't aware that it was the producer's job to tell the chef employed by the hotel to work overtime. Learn something new every day, I guess!

Generally the producer would hire some sort of craft services if the shoot ran longer than the kitchen was open. Food is available at more than just one kitchen.

In any event, producer knows that the shoot is going to run late. He neglects to figure out the food situation at the hotel - probably not knowing that the kitchen closed at 9. (It's his job to know things like this.) Instead he presents the stars of the worlds most popular TV show with a plate of cold cuts and cheese rather than finding a better solution. There's no shortage of other places to ring up to get food sent over.

I'm not the star of the worlds most popular TV show, but if I was working ALL day from morning to past 9PM I'd be pretty upset if all I was provided was an appetizer platter of cold cuts and cheese. Granted I wouldn't throw a punch over it, but I'd definitely complain to someone.

The whole situation, from top to bottom, could have been handled much better. Jeremy is an idiot for throwing a punch, the producer is an idiot for not finding a suitable Plan B, and the BBC is stupid for not finding some sort of grey area where they can punish Clarkson but still keep the show lineup intact.

Dinner is served!

ZippySLC fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 26, 2015

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

CommieGIR posted:

Please explain to me how you explain to a drunk person that you have a plan B when they are set on Plan A and have commenced in a tirade of verbal and physical assault. Unless you think the producer was standing there and telling him he'd have to go to bed without dinner, or something.

Clarkson wanted steak and french fries. Easily sourced from another restaurant.

Cubey posted:

They weren't shooting anything, they were at a bar drinking. Have you not read anything at all about what happened :psyduck:

What time, exactly, did they wrap up shooting?

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

The shoot didn't overrun, Clarkson and co went down the pub after it wrapped and didn't come back until the kitchen had closed. Tymon still should have sourced something, but it's not like Clarkson couldn't have either eaten at the pub or gotten pissed at the hotel, both of which are infinitely preferable to punching a man in the face over catering.

I've heard this mentioned a few times, but not in print. Where did it come out that they went to the pub? It's not in the BBC report.

Viper_3000 posted:

The producer should have done his loving job. Jeremy shouldn't have hit him. End of story.

And really that's what it boils down to.

ZippySLC fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 26, 2015

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

CommieGIR posted:

Because Restaurants stay open all hours of the night, especially ones that cook a steak on demand.

I'd wager that you could get a steak from somewhere after 9PM from the list of nearby restaurants that I linked to.

CommieGIR posted:

Again: Just because you work in a high pressure environment does not mean you are allowed to subject said employees to verbal abuse, its unacceptable in ANY field, and the fact that some fields are more 'lenient' upon such behavior DOESN'T. MATTER.

Doesn't Matter. Still wrong, and this whole idea that certain fields outside of a combat zone require you to 'man up and act like a man' is loving reprehensible.

In a perfect world, yes. Also nobody would speed, murder, and steal either.

Whether or not it's morally right to do it, the fact of the matter is that that is par for the course for a lot of industries. Like it or not. I agree that it shouldn't happen, but it does. And not just once at a Lincolnshire Hotel, but probably tens of thousands of times every day across the globe.

The world is not as black and white as you want to make it.

ZippySLC fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 26, 2015

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

I think I read before that Jeremy and Oisin got on well before. I'm sure he realizes that the kid doesn't deserve the internet hate that he's getting and wants to try to help defuse it because he's actually not a horrible human being without any feelings or empathy.

In other news, I miss posting in AI but I now drive a very boring dad car.

Obdicut posted:

You keep ignoring that they hosed off to the pub. Sorry, dude, but producers don't have to wipe the rear end of talent at the end of the day. If talent fucks off to get piss drunk, it's really not on the producer to continue to babysit them. Do you think this would still be true if they'd come back at 2:00 AM?

And if there is a cock up, of a normal hot meal? That happens. Normal talent takes it in stride. Sometimes the per diem isn't ready, sometimes the food gets hosed up. Sometimes the car is late. Producers aren't superhumans who can bend the universe to their will. I had to get chicken for Jack Black once, and the chicken from his favorite place wasn't available. Instead, I got him a sandwich. He didn't flip his poo poo and start punching me because he's a professional. If he had punched me, it would have been a gigantic deal, I would have sued, and nobody would have been like "But the guy got the wrong chicken, what a fuckup'.

Where's the proof that they went to the pub? I have not seen it mentioned in a single news article. I'd be interested to read it.

Also I bet if Jack Black's mom died, was stressed about going through a divorce, and was royally drunk he'd be less cool about it than he was.

ZippySLC fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 26, 2015

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

CommieGIR posted:

That was addressed at someone else, not you.

Oh, I wasn't replying to anybody just throwing it out there.

quote:

At the end of the day, all that matters all the people who are blaming the producer are wrong, and have been told they are wrong by the very person who got fired and who we are actively discussing. Anybody willing to keep arguing on and on about how the producer should have taken it like a man is pretty much telling Jeremy Clarkson that HE is wrong, and that they know better than him.

I can only speak for myself but I don't think I've advocated that the producer deserved what he got. I don't think he deserves the grilling that he's getting on social media, nor do I think he deserves to be known as "the guy who ruined Top Gear." Two people hosed up. Jeremy deserves the lion's share for what happened. But this could probably all have been prevented with some forethought. That's all.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

spog posted:

Good news: Oggie the producer isn't pressing charges:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/27/top-gear-producer-oisin-tymon-will-not-press-charges-against-jeremy-clarkson

Welcome news because if I had to read running coverage of a Clarkson criminal trial, I'd fly a plane in the Guardian's offices.

Expanding on this, it looks like the BBC has started taking down the set

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ss-charges.html

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post
I wonder if Netflix Top Gear would switch to a format similar to TGUS where it's all a challenge. It'd certainly cut down on the need to source a track and/or get manufacturer support like they did via the BBC.

I can't say I'd be disappointed if it went that way. While the cinematography of supercars on the test track was pretty awe inspiring, I'd like to see more challenge and banter.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

IndianaZoidberg posted:

How much could he get away with on Netflix? Probably murder.

But that wouldn't be right!!!

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post
The way that James has handled himself over the last few weeks, plus his Youtube videos really makes me like him all the more. He's a really stand up, classy guy. Maybe the silver lining on all of this is that, with Top Gear over, he'll get more solo screen time.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post
I also really liked the dynamic between James and Oz Clarke. I know Oz has continued on with the "drinking road trip" themed TV show - anybody know why James didn't stay involved?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

Long Francesco posted:

iirc he was too busy doing his other shows and travelling for top gear to be going around drinking with Oz. I think that was right around when he started doing his manlab and toy stuff.

I'd trade Manlab for Oz and James in a Caravan Drinking a Lot.