Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

djdanno13 posted:

Since the show as we know it is dead, this thread should be our memoriam where we post our favorite .gifs or our first time seeing the show, or just reminisce.

I remember the first time I saw Top Gear. I was in Iraq for 8 months when we finally got AFN and they broadcast the amphibious car special. I remember laughing my rear end off and it really made me smile at a time when there wasn't much smiling going on. Thanks top gear.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

djdanno13 posted:

Since the show as we know it is dead, this thread should be our memoriam where we post our favorite .gifs or our first time seeing the show, or just reminisce.

The Crossfire:

'It looks like a dog doing a poo'

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Oh so the stig was *everyone who ever drove brands*?? HAHAHAHAHAHA

Please don't brutally own me like that gentle a5h.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"
Jesus christ this got stupid.

The reason to fire him isn't just because of this incident. It's because he's going to keep doing poo poo like this. This isn't out of character for him. You give an rear end in a top hat a pass and he just goes off and assholes again, which is what happened with the previous 'warnings'. Keep him on and the production team is just bracing for the next time crazy Uncle Jeremy starts spitting at them and taking a swing.

And for people who have worked in the industry, you know the talent is not the show. You know the production company, their logistical abilities, their institutional knowledge, all the rest of it is really important. Sure, there's plenty of people willing to work the jobs but shows get cancelled for cost overruns and schedule fuckups all the time and that's why producers and others who can actually get poo poo done on time and on budget are incredibly valuable. There's also a huge horde of talent waiting to break into the big time, just as big, if not as big, as a pool of would-be producers who are actually competent. And no, failing to provide for hot food for a drunken star late at night does not make someone an incompetent producer, for gently caress's sake.

Talent aren't the most important part of the process, they're just, all too often, the people that need to be made to feel that they're the most important part of the process. There's plenty of production companies that don't operate at all like that--the Cohen Brothers, for example, or Louis C.K.--and unsurprisingly, they tend to be some of the smoothest running groups.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

MY EPIGLOTTIS IS FULL OF BEES

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

djdanno13 posted:

I remember the first time I saw Top Gear. I was in Iraq for 8 months when we finally got AFN and they broadcast the amphibious car special. I remember laughing my rear end off and it really made me smile at a time when there wasn't much smiling going on. Thanks top gear.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The Killing a Hilux episodes are awesome and nobody can tell me otherwise.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Toyota UK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1WMdI3E9jQ

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

djdanno13 posted:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

James May threatened to cut Jeremy Clarksons head off with a machete, I don't think I'd get away with doing that to someone.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shifty Nipples posted:

James May threatened to cut Jeremy Clarksons head off with a machete, I don't think I'd get away with doing that to someone.

Actions speak louder than words. Like punching someone in the mouth vs saying you will punch someone in the mouth.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Obdicut posted:

Jesus christ this got stupid.

The reason to fire him isn't just because of this incident. It's because he's going to keep doing poo poo like this. This isn't out of character for him. You give an rear end in a top hat a pass and he just goes off and assholes again, which is what happened with the previous 'warnings'. Keep him on and the production team is just bracing for the next time crazy Uncle Jeremy starts spitting at them and taking a swing.

And for people who have worked in the industry, you know the talent is not the show. You know the production company, their logistical abilities, their institutional knowledge, all the rest of it is really important. Sure, there's plenty of people willing to work the jobs but shows get cancelled for cost overruns and schedule fuckups all the time and that's why producers and others who can actually get poo poo done on time and on budget are incredibly valuable. There's also a huge horde of talent waiting to break into the big time, just as big, if not as big, as a pool of would-be producers who are actually competent. And no, failing to provide for hot food for a drunken star late at night does not make someone an incompetent producer, for gently caress's sake.

Talent aren't the most important part of the process, they're just, all too often, the people that need to be made to feel that they're the most important part of the process. There's plenty of production companies that don't operate at all like that--the Cohen Brothers, for example, or Louis C.K.--and unsurprisingly, they tend to be some of the smoothest running groups.

I should note that in the Saturday Night Live 40th Anniversary special, they did a Top 10 list of people they'd like to thank/recognize, and #1 (which got the biggest ovation by a large margin) was the crew.

You felt like the talent really did recognize how thankless and tiresome a job it is to wrangle a show day in and day out, especially for year after year. I don't know if this was meant to make up for 40 years of neglect and shouting on the part of the stars directed at whatever hapless PA got in the way or didn't bring the right color jelly beans, or if they really did have a deep and heartfelt need to recognize those people's contributions. But either way it makes me sad to think of how incongruous it is to imagine Top Gear thanking "the producers", whether because of the tongue-in-cheek "the producers have set us these challenges, the bastards" overtone of things, or because of the Tymon altercation (after which it would seem insincere), or because Top Gear as a culture is actually that much more insensitive toward the people behind the scenes.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

Cubey posted:

I wasn't aware that it was the producer's job to tell the chef employed by the hotel to work overtime. Learn something new every day, I guess!

Generally the producer would hire some sort of craft services if the shoot ran longer than the kitchen was open. Food is available at more than just one kitchen.

In any event, producer knows that the shoot is going to run late. He neglects to figure out the food situation at the hotel - probably not knowing that the kitchen closed at 9. (It's his job to know things like this.) Instead he presents the stars of the worlds most popular TV show with a plate of cold cuts and cheese rather than finding a better solution. There's no shortage of other places to ring up to get food sent over.

I'm not the star of the worlds most popular TV show, but if I was working ALL day from morning to past 9PM I'd be pretty upset if all I was provided was an appetizer platter of cold cuts and cheese. Granted I wouldn't throw a punch over it, but I'd definitely complain to someone.

The whole situation, from top to bottom, could have been handled much better. Jeremy is an idiot for throwing a punch, the producer is an idiot for not finding a suitable Plan B, and the BBC is stupid for not finding some sort of grey area where they can punish Clarkson but still keep the show lineup intact.

Dinner is served!

ZippySLC fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 26, 2015

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
If I've learned anything from this is that I would probably quite like to hang out with James May. He seems like a cool dude.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

As though you needed this thread to tell you that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ZippySLC posted:

The whole situation, from top to bottom, could have been handled much better. Jeremy is an idiot for throwing a punch, the producer is an idiot for not finding a suitable Plan B, and the BBC is stupid for not finding some sort of grey area where they can punish Clarkson but still keep the show lineup intact.

Please explain to me how you explain to a drunk person that you have a plan B when they are set on Plan A and have commenced in a tirade of verbal and physical assault. Unless you think the producer was standing there and telling him he'd have to go to bed without dinner, or something.

Thanks in advance.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot
What if we put May on Mythbusters?

Edit: in case the first half of this page wasn't clear enough. Shoo, shooo D&D. Return to your own subforum.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ZippySLC posted:

Generally the producer would hire some sort of craft services if the shoot ran longer than the kitchen was open. Food is available at more than just one kitchen.

They weren't shooting anything, they were at a bar drinking. Have you not read anything at all about what happened :psyduck:

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

ZippySLC posted:

In any event, producer knows that the shoot is going to run late. He neglects to figure out the food situation at the hotel - probably not knowing that the kitchen closed at 9. (It's his job to know things like this.) Instead he presents the stars of the worlds most popular TV show with a plate of cold cuts and cheese rather than finding a better solution. There's no shortage of other places to ring up to get food sent over.

I'm not the star of the worlds most popular TV show, but if I was working ALL day from morning to past 9PM I'd be pretty upset if all I was provided was an appetizer platter of cold cuts and cheese. Granted I wouldn't throw a punch over it, but I'd definitely complain to someone.

Dinner is served!

The other thing to note, is that at least in the USA, when dealing with SAG contracts a hot meal after x amount of hours is contractually mandated with pretty serious penalties in place if that isn't provided. Come hell or high water, it's that producer's job to put a hot meal in front of talent. End of story. Just like its the sound guy's job to have mic cables, just like its the Gaffer's responsibility to have gels and flags, and so on and so forth.

Again, this all goes back to a film/TV crew position can't be compared to a normal job, because the responsibilities and general nature of how a shoot works will never ever resemble anything close to a "normal" job.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

ZippySLC posted:

Dinner is served!
The shoot didn't overrun, Clarkson and co went down the pub after it wrapped and didn't come back until the kitchen had closed. Tymon still should have sourced something, but it's not like Clarkson couldn't have either eaten at the pub or gotten pissed at the hotel, both of which are infinitely preferable to punching a man in the face over catering.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Viper_3000 posted:

The other thing to note, is that at least in the USA, when dealing with SAG contracts a hot meal after x amount of hours is contractually mandated with pretty serious penalties in place if that isn't provided. Come hell or high water, it's that producer's job to put a hot meal in front of talent. End of story. Just like its the sound guy's job to have mic cables, just like its the Gaffer's responsibility to have gels and flags, and so on and so forth.

And the proper response to violation of contract is physical abuse, got it.

May god have mercy on any soul that negotiates a contract with you.

Viper_3000 posted:

Again, this all goes back to a film/TV crew position can't be compared to a normal job, because the responsibilities and general nature of how a shoot works will never ever resemble anything close to a "normal" job.

Again, there is no special cases for the possibility of assault on an employee. This is not a loving zoo, and you don't treat people like that. What you are basically saying is that Actors/Actresses are caged animals that just might rip your head off, all part of the deal.

Bullshit.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

The shoot didn't overrun, Clarkson and co went down the pub after it wrapped and didn't come back until the kitchen had closed. Tymon still should have sourced something, but it's not like Clarkson couldn't have either eaten at the pub or gotten pissed at the hotel, both of which are infinitely preferable to punching a man in the face over catering.

Except it isn't Clarkson's job to do that. When working on a shoot, I don't worry about when restaurants close, because I know it's someone's job to feed me/make sure there's food provided, and I trust that they are going to do that. Just like they trust that I'm going to have some mic cables if I'm running sound.

CommieGIR posted:

And the proper response to violation of contract is physical abuse, got it.

May god have mercy on any soul that negotiates a contract with you.

Again, there is no special cases for the possibility of assault on an employee. This is not a loving zoo, and you don't treat people like that. What you are basically saying is that Actors/Actresses are caged animals that just might rip your head off, all part of the deal.

Bullshit.

Again. I've never defended the punch. That's inexcusable. The 20 minute chewing out by Clarkson? That I have no problems with at all.

Viper_3000 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 26, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Viper_3000 posted:

Again. I've never defended the punch. That's inexcusable. The 20 minute chewing out by Clarkson? That I have no problems with at all.

Yes, so loud that people many rooms away could hear it and multiple hotel staff reported it half way across the hotel. Awesome contract negotiations. You know, I do all my contract negotiations piss drunk and use multiple and varying insults peppered in as well. It does wonders.

"Upon completions of contract re-negotiations, ensure that the responsible party is firmly punched in the mouth"

lfield
May 10, 2008

Viper_3000 posted:

Except it isn't Clarkson's job to do that. When working on a shoot, I don't worry about when restaurants close, because I know it's someone's job to feed me/make sure there's food provided, and I trust that they are going to do that.

There was food provided. He just wanted something different.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Jesus loving christ let this poo poo drop already. And seriously, try going to the oil fields for a day. If you guys think this poo poo is bad, I can only imagine how hard people would flip poo poo dealing with those guys.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Viper_3000 posted:

Except it isn't Clarkson's job to do that. When working on a shoot, I don't worry about when restaurants close, because I know it's someone's job to feed me/make sure there's food provided, and I trust that they are going to do that. Just like they trust that I'm going to have some mic cables if I'm running sound.

Carefully, the mentality here is that you are a Ayn Rand libertarian nazi to even propose the possibility that BBC was to be blamed for bad talent management and shedule coordination in general, which finally lead to things escalating to the point of what just happened.

And I still do not condone what Clarkson did, if someone still fails to understand my point about planning and preventing things before they happen.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Yes, so loud that people many rooms away could hear it and multiple hotel staff reported it half way across the hotel. Awesome contract negotiations. You know, I do all my contract negotiations piss drunk and use multiple and varying insults peppered in as well. It does wonders.

"Upon completions of contract re-negotiations, ensure that the responsible party is firmly punched in the mouth"

Again, Film crews aren't office jobs. If you don't like the colorful language, don't work there. There are a poo poo ton of jobs that are easier to get than jobs in film/TV production. And yeah, I don't know where you went off on this bit about contract negotiations but it's completely irrelevant. The producer should have done his loving job. Jeremy shouldn't have hit him. End of story.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

CommieGIR posted:

Please explain to me how you explain to a drunk person that you have a plan B when they are set on Plan A and have commenced in a tirade of verbal and physical assault. Unless you think the producer was standing there and telling him he'd have to go to bed without dinner, or something.

Clarkson wanted steak and french fries. Easily sourced from another restaurant.

Cubey posted:

They weren't shooting anything, they were at a bar drinking. Have you not read anything at all about what happened :psyduck:

What time, exactly, did they wrap up shooting?

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

I've heard this mentioned a few times, but not in print. Where did it come out that they went to the pub? It's not in the BBC report.

Viper_3000 posted:

The producer should have done his loving job. Jeremy shouldn't have hit him. End of story.

And really that's what it boils down to.

ZippySLC fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 26, 2015

lfield
May 10, 2008

Viper_3000 posted:

The producer should have done his loving job. Jeremy shouldn't have hit him. End of story.

Nah, this makes it seem as though the blame is equal, or that their offences were equivalent in some way.

Clarkson was late because he was off getting pissed somewhere. The kitchen closed, so it was on the crew to find food for the big drunken baby once he got back. They did, he just didn't liiiiike that food and he wanted the steeeeeak, waaaah, so he threw a tantrum and hit someone and shouted until he got his way.

The producer committed the crime of not psychically anticipating which menu item his drunk baby coworker would start mewling for once he got back.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ZippySLC posted:

Clarkson wanted steak and french fries. Easily sourced from another restaurant.

Because Restaurants stay open all hours of the night, especially ones that cook a steak on demand.

Viper_3000 posted:

Again, Film crews aren't office jobs. If you don't like the colorful language, don't work there. There are a poo poo ton of jobs that are easier to get than jobs in film/TV production.

Again: Just because you work in a high pressure environment does not mean you are allowed to subject said employees to verbal abuse, its unacceptable in ANY field, and the fact that some fields are more 'lenient' upon such behavior DOESN'T. MATTER.

T1g4h posted:

And seriously, try going to the oil fields for a day. If you guys think this poo poo is bad, I can only imagine how hard people would flip poo poo dealing with those guys.

Doesn't Matter. Still wrong, and this whole idea that certain fields outside of a combat zone require you to 'man up and act like a man' is loving reprehensible.

ZippySLC posted:

And really that's what it boils down to.

The PRODUCER did his job and got him FOOD. It was not the food he wanted. Sorry the producer is not a loving psychic.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

CommieGIR posted:

Because Restaurants stay open all hours of the night, especially ones that cook a steak on demand.

I'd wager that you could get a steak from somewhere after 9PM from the list of nearby restaurants that I linked to.

CommieGIR posted:

Again: Just because you work in a high pressure environment does not mean you are allowed to subject said employees to verbal abuse, its unacceptable in ANY field, and the fact that some fields are more 'lenient' upon such behavior DOESN'T. MATTER.

Doesn't Matter. Still wrong, and this whole idea that certain fields outside of a combat zone require you to 'man up and act like a man' is loving reprehensible.

In a perfect world, yes. Also nobody would speed, murder, and steal either.

Whether or not it's morally right to do it, the fact of the matter is that that is par for the course for a lot of industries. Like it or not. I agree that it shouldn't happen, but it does. And not just once at a Lincolnshire Hotel, but probably tens of thousands of times every day across the globe.

The world is not as black and white as you want to make it.

ZippySLC fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 26, 2015

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 23, 2021

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

lfield posted:

The producer committed the crime of not psychically anticipating which menu item his drunk baby coworker would start mewling for once he got back.

Yeah, being the piss-poor small scale operation called Top Gear they really couldn't afford for example, ask about their dinner preferences and rent the kitchen for a extra/extended shift? You know, the stuff the talent managers are supposed to do?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Der Kyhe posted:

And I still do not condone what Clarkson did, if someone still fails to understand my point about planning and preventing things before they happen.

But they had a plan. This was not a case of the film crew taking too long, this was not a shoot that went overtime, this was someone not doing what had been arranged ahead of time. How do you plan for someone who ignores what he was supposed to have done?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sincx posted:

People who post more than 1/3 of their posts in D&D should be locked out of AI.

I'm sorry, you must be new here: Where's your build thread or project car?

ZippySLC posted:

Whether or not it's morally right to do it, the fact of the matter is that that is par for the course for a lot of industries. Like it or not. I agree that it shouldn't happen, but it does.

Ding ding, nice logical fallacy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_tradition

quote:

Appeal to tradition (also known as argumentum ad antiquitatem,[1] appeal to antiquity, or appeal to common practice) is a common fallacy in which a thesis is deemed correct on the basis that it correlates with some past or present tradition. The appeal takes the form of "this is right because we've always done it this way."[2]

An appeal to tradition essentially makes two assumptions that are not necessarily true:

The old way of thinking was proven correct when introduced, i.e. since the old way of thinking was prevalent, it was necessarily correct.
In actuality this may be false—the tradition might be entirely based on incorrect grounds.
The past justifications for the tradition are still valid at present.
In actuality, the circumstances may have changed; this assumption may also therefore be untrue.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 26, 2015

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Welcome to the real world. It's stupid, it's lovely, but words get thrown around, sometimes punches get thrown, poo poo happens, people get hurt and get over it. Not saying it's right or acceptable, but it loving happens man.

lfield
May 10, 2008
Welcome to the real world. Sometimes you lose your job when you punch a coworker in the face.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

T1g4h posted:

Welcome to the real world. It's stupid, it's lovely, but words get thrown around, sometimes punches get thrown, poo poo happens, people get hurt and get over it. Not saying it's right or acceptable, but it loving happens man.

And we prosecute people for it. Even in the oil fields. And often people get fired, because oil field workers, unless part of a union, are a dime a dozen. They fired an entire team in Wyoming when I lived there because they kept creating downtime with excessive arguing and fighting.

I notice, while I'm debating, I'm the only one really trying to post Top Gear gifs and images. Catch up guys.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Cubey posted:

But they had a plan. This was not a case of the film crew taking too long, this was not a shoot that went overtime, this was someone not doing what had been arranged ahead of time. How do you plan for someone who ignores what he was supposed to have done?

Well, in this particular case have someone arrange an extended shift for the kitchen staff, or take orders and arrange a private dinner, or even better, start by arranging a private place without audience for their stars to get pissfaced and get late dinner, especially since one of the guys is volatile and bit of a loving idiot. The operation that size should be able to foot the extra 5k bill for that sort of arrangement easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

lfield posted:

Welcome to the real world. Sometimes you lose your job when you punch a coworker in the face.

Yup, that too. you'll notice nowhere am I condoning or arguing that he shouldn't have been fired, just that poo poo loving happens.

CommieGIR posted:

And we prosecute people for it. Even in the oil fields. And often people get fired, because oil field workers, unless part of a union, are a dime a dozen. They fired an entire team in Wyoming when I lived there because they kept creating downtime with excessive arguing and fighting.

See above. I just find the entire debate of IT SHOULDN'T HAVE HAPPENED to be kinda amusing. You're right, it shouldn't have. But it did, and it still does in many other areas. And likely will continue to, no matter how many angry posts or arguments about it being wrong one might make. People are loving stupid and do stupid poo poo.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 26, 2015