Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

OP should be updated. Episode was mediocre but I look at it like a little primer for the series. p1 next week!

To say it's crusty would be an understatement. If someone wants to write a new one, either post a new thread and I'll close this, or post it in here and I'll edit it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I refuse to believe that those are actual words in any language.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Thank you very much :cheers:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I keep hoping that maybe one or two more posts will clear this out of your systems, but no... apparently pumping gas is of more interest than the P1 :psyduck:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Alighieri posted:

James May said a while ago that he likes his panda since it is easy to take to the limit and have fun in, where as in a zonda you have to be doing highly illegal things to take it to its limit. Then again though, James May.

Meaning, James May is right, because he usually is. It's a hell of a lot more fun to drive a slow car fast, than to drive a fast car slow. And driving a fast car fast requires a race track, or a hell of a lot more open road / willingness to risk one hell of a ticket than flogging a slow-but-fun car up a mountain road.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

But do they have... overhead switches?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

twoot posted:

Al Gore seemed to enjoy the news

Seriously, that was one scary loving face right there. Just. Staring.

Laughed my rear end off at Aaron Paul. Given the reaction over there despite it apparently not ever being on British TV, it sounds like Breaking Bad to them is The One True Top Gear to us.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It feels like they had to get their contracts with the BBC very carefully written to allow them to do anything that is legal to do wherever they are currently at.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

hopterque posted:

That's worth it just to hear him yell at the end.

Is there any other reason to watch the video, honestly?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So are they saying cocks are done with Audis and back to BMWs?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

drat, a BC episode would be sweet.

In raptor-related news, I saw one of these yesterday in Tucson.

Glad those dudes get to hoon about on ARE TAX DOLLARS! Talk about a dream job, between that and the dirt bikes they ride along the border.

I remember reading that they had to get an exception to allow them to buy leather seats (or got Ford to do a limited run of cloth) because even with such frivolities, the Raptor is cheaper and better than the aftermarket modified trucks they were using before.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've always said I'd watch James narrate pretty much anything... and now I can.

:allears:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jezza! What is best in life?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So what does this mean - they can't set foot in Argentina again without being arrested? I think they're probably all fine with that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cole posted:

read the whole thing in his voice

It's amazing how easy it is to do. Works great for that "How to land an Airbus" book too, which is a drat fun read.

Pricing on it has definitely changed a bit since the whole news broke, though :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Colinfurze, the blond guy they already picked, and Matt Farah. Job done.

Switch Matt Farah for either 14 INCH or AvE, sold.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Also holy poo poo the "elephant in the room" was pretty loving funny!

I suddenly feel like an absolute loving idiot for not getting the joke last night when I watched it.

Philip J Fry posted:

Was it though?

Yeah, I'd say still worth it. I'm pretty sure they showed it in 4WD later on (at least the "PART TIME" light was on :haw: ) so I don't doubt part of that was Hammond intentionally making it look like it was much harder to shift the transfer case than it really was.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

It's like $8 a month...

Plus whatever extra you spend at Amazon because Prime shipping is addictive as all hell.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fo3 posted:

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. And possibly the old trio pissing off more manufacturers as the new season gets on if there's no bbc/british government reigning them in.

Flip side, with Amazon's war chest they can almost certainly get a personally-owned example of any car they want to test.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fayez Butts posted:

They could at the BBC too, the problem at the time was that anyone who wanted to lend them a LaFerrari for a 3 way comparison would have been barred from ever being offered another rare Ferrari.

I'm assuming that the BBC, being a publicly-funded entity, probably required more approvals and bureaucracy. If they could guarantee more viewers (and Prime members) from it, I'm sure Bezos would hand them a blank check for drat near anything.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I saw the title and thought it'd be James building a Tamiya model, in real time.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ReelBigLizard posted:

I'd probably watch this TBH.

I would absolutely watch it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KillHour posted:

Can't it be both? The perpetual worst thread.

You might have to fight the F1 thread for that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Grumpwagon posted:

Ah drat, you're right. I guess they would have mentioned it.

Yeah, James and Hammond would've been all over the chance to point out that his new car is leeeeeeaking like some old Rover, at which point Jezza would somehow explain that it's the result of its partially-British heritage.

Either that, or, you know, it needed a speedisleeve.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Unironically excited for footage of James May putting poo poo together.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Riven posted:

He means the owners don't want you doing anything that could break it since it's probably extremely valuable and/or straight up irreplaceable.

Yeah. Guys like Leno are a rare breed - most people who own seriously old cars, especially ones where replacement parts are literally nonexistent, treat those cars as museum pieces. It might all be there and working just fine, but it's either going to never turn a wheel under power again, or it's only going to do some very slow, very gentle driving in an extremely secure setting. The fact that Leno let James not only drive the Chrysler Turbine Car, but do so at speed in traffic, is pretty loving amazing.

I think this mindset is shifting more towards the Leno end of the scale, though, even at a corporate level. Honda has purchased/borrowed/otherwise obtained a number of important race cars over the years, and with all of the computer-controlled ones, they even make sure to keep a set of the period-correct computers needed to interface with them so that they can be fired up. The ever-decreasing cost of 3D printing will also go a long way to making it possible to fabricate (either directly or by means of inexpensive prototyping) parts for cars that have been long out of production.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

hopterque posted:

yeah but they would have apologized sarcastically the same way they always did as opposed to being a giant weepy baby about it like chris evans.

Most likely by showing up in person and then "accidentally" doing some more donuts and elevenses, resulting in the crude approximation of the male genitalia.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Welp, I got my email saying that they're going to call me in the next week. Maybe I get to go?

Yeah, I got one too. Worth a shot!

Budgie posted:

It's the daily mail, but: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...social-facebook

Nice one, Clarkson!

James May would demolish it by painstakingly removing each piece one by one and commenting on where it came from, what it was made of, and how the people who originally built it had put it together.

Hammond would sell it and move to Texas.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That was quick, I just filled the form out this morning and got the call just now. Here's hoping I find out something good next week.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Boo. Got tickets, but only for filming the opening sequence, not the actual studio segments. Not gonna drive ~13h round trip for that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

keevo posted:

What are the rules about posting about episodes in here? Keep everything in spoiler tags?

On one hand, it's pseudo-unscripted so "spoilers" but on the other don't be a loving dilz and post things that people would rather enjoy on their own.

Only snuck in the first ten minutes so far but... this is good.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That was thoroughly enjoyable, and I'm drat glad there's eleven more coming this season alone.

Bezos must be laughing all the way to the bank on this one.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

If they truly didn't like each other, Hammond and May would have left Clarkson behind and kept going with Top Gear.

This, and also why would Jeremy have not punched one of them instead of a producer?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ferremit posted:

Jaaaaaames Maaaaay sumimasen......

I'm so glad I watched the series to teach me at least that important bit of Japanese.

Also, Yujiro loving stole the show just about anytime he showed up. I want a followup series that involves James acting as his tour guide throughout England, mostly stopping at defunct British Leyland factories.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is it bad that I hoped he was going to say "another season of The Reassembler"?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yup. I love laughing at the idiots who get mad no matter what happens with farmland.

It stays a regular farm: Oh no, there's noise / dust / smells from a farm!
It becomes agritainment: Oh no, there's noise / dust / smells from a farm, and people!
It becomes more tract housing or warehouses: Oh no, you've ruined my perfect view!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Perhaps, but using a non-federalized engine is technically completely illegal under federal law, and more realistically it's going to make the truck completely unregisterable anywhere that does any emissions inspections.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or4IE8fkpn4

I'll watch James narrate/do about anything, so, yeah.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Our Man In Japan is fantastic, I haven't watched the Italian one yet but I recall the general reaction being "less good".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If they are doing a gimmick ending, then it'll be The Italian Job.

While the Marky Mark remake is an incredibly guilty pleasure of mine, I'm sure you mean the original... and yes.