Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

InitialDave posted:

Would that be Ferrari being precious about how their cars are reviewed again?

I could see all three of them being skittish about being pitted head to head against each other. There's really very little for them to gain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Are we seriously arguing that the cancellation of Top Gear will impact the world's view of England in any significant way?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Measly Twerp posted:

So an extremely popular TV show with millions of viewers outside of the UK being cancelled won't change peoples perception of the UK?

Lol.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Chalets the Baka posted:

Clarkson could have drawn and quartered a black man on a live taping and this thread would most likely defend it.

Listen dude you just don't understand the business.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Mister Kingdom posted:

Edd is awesome. Mike will get on your nerves.

Crackin'!

So true.

Deee neee neee neeee.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

mod sassinator posted:

The rumor is Amazon is paying them (the trio + producer) $250M for a season of a new car show in the style of Top Gear. http://www.forbes.com/sites/ianmorris/2015/07/31/amazons-250-million-spend-on-top-gear-trio-is-actually-great-value/

Well, yikes.

Edit: from that link, it looks like it's actually for 3 seasons, and that's the budget for the entire show, so about $7m per episode out of which everything has to come.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 3, 2015

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Whorelord posted:

James would hate American beer

Data Graham posted:

Just on principle, I assume. And wouldn't try any of the good ones.

Delsaber posted:

Yet another reason to get these guys in the Pacific Northwest more often.

Yeah, over the 5-10 years American craft beer making has really cranked it up to the point that I prefer drinking "American" beer to the standard European stuff.

Of course, Europeans are going to keep on assuming American beer means Budweiser, and I'm not up on the European craft beer scene.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Looking forward to challenges where they try to find the Top Gear . . . Knob.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Can. Not. Wait.

We don't know anything beyond "2016" right?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

InitialDave posted:

"We won't let your nasty journalists slate our car! No Ferrari for you!"
"Fine, gently caress you, we'll just buy one"

Thankfully Ferrari produces supercars in huge quantities and they sit on dealership lots just waiting to be sold.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

InitialDave posted:

I bet you could find an owner who would at some point relent if you just kept slapping them in the face with an ever-increasing seven-figure sum.

I think this is pretty much how you find new in-demand Ferraris for sale. Almost everyone has a certain dollar figure over which they don't care if they get to buy a new car from Ferrari ever again.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

poo poo, I could have been slapping the slow nurses this whole time?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I wonder how likely it'll be to get chosen for tickets this time around.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is it possible to get "definitive" versions of all of the top gear seasons, legally, in the US? Digital is fine, but from what I understand none of them have the original music.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

mod sassinator posted:

The BBC put out DVDs right? I wonder if you could import UK versions and if they have the original music. Might need a region free player to view them.

GutBomb posted:

I think even the UK DVDs don't have the original music because the BBC only has the rights for broadcast

Yeah, that's my understanding as well. Bummer. Wish there was less of a PITA way to watch them.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

My Lovely Horse posted:

TOP GEAR EXOTIC LOCATION SPECIAL

LeBlanc (off): But just before we set off on the grueling trip, we spotted another surprise the producers had prepared... a back up car.
*white Ferrari pulls into view behind some trees*
Evans: *has actual aneurysm*

Yeah I'd definitely watch this.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I think the most telling thing about New New Top Gear (or is it New Old Top Gear?) is that I haven't watched the episode yet.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Payndz posted:

Apparently Richard "Sniff Petrol" Porter has taken up his old TG role of script editor for The Grand Tour - he linked on Twitter to a Sunday Times article he wrote about his Defender which mentioned it in his bio. He's kept it very quiet until now, and I guess it means he's patched things up with Clarkson after being pretty scathing about his post-fracas behaviour in the last chapter of his book.

Did anyone read it as being "pretty scathing?" TBQH I thought he was pretty reasonable. Clarkson did punch a guy at work.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Eh, knowing Top Gear, Autumn 2016 means the last possible day in December.

I would love to be proven wrong though.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Olympic Mathlete posted:

...except that it features James Corden who is just a black hole of humour. I assume the comment was talking about the three rather than Corden because of so all hope is lost. Actually the fact he has his own show in the US shows just how far things have gone in the wrong direction.

Oh christ he was fine in that clip.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I loving love this so much already.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I watched my very first episode of New Old New Top Gear (Joey et al) today and ended up watching all three back to back. Other than the studio scenes that feel incredibly unnatural, I loved them all. The GTI/ring scene was great.

Season 1 isn't worth watching at all is it?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
This was a fantastic season, and possibly better than "old" Top Gear's season two. Can't wait to see how they do over the next few years.

Am I the only one that hasn't completely warmed up to Rory yet?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Nothing TG/GT related until November right?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Just to be sure, there's no official way to get the original Clarkson, May, and Hammond Top Gear, with original music, correct?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Sure, but not really. It's kind of a shame it's not possible to get a really good copy of the earlier, Pre-HD seasons.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 2, 2017

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Man, James look a lot fatter and older. :(

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

davebo posted:

Just finishing episode 2. I'm sorry Jeremy had to deal with left lane blockers driving in America. On behalf of Americans I'm sorry and I wish they were better.

Every time I drive in Europe, experience the comparatively amazing drivers, and come back to America, :negative:.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I think the first episode has been my favorite.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

CBJamo posted:

Clarkson's family has a connection, and possibly financial stake, in Paddington. http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2014/10/story-paddington-bear-jeremy-clarkson

Yeah, I was wondering about this too: I wonder if Clarkson has a financial stake in how well this movie does?

When does Top Gear UK come back?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
That Lancia/Audi segment was incredible.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Tickets are still impossible to get right?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I think the tough part is that they've tried to recreate what they were good at (Top Gear) in the confines of whatever agreement they had with BBC over not re-creating Top Gear. Add me to the list that's hoping that conversation street lives on somehow.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
A mini-trip/special, conversation street in the studio, a supercar review, and no celebrity segment.

After 20 however-many seasons, they've finally made the perfect episode. Too bad it's in their last season.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ohtsam posted:

Season 4 was confirmed to be a thing and there won't be any tent segments in it.

Yup, I know. I have a feeling season 4 is going to feel very different than the top gear/Grand tour we're used to.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Why would he have to know what the filthy computer touchers do?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Humphreys posted:

That ep was amazing. I was in stitches the whole airport segment.

I think the formula is complete. Review a neat new car, a historic car documentary and a travel bit.

Do we know if the new season is going to include any car reviews/car documentary/etc stuff, or is it really just going to be travel specials?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Rated PG-34 posted:

Stalin may have had his faults

Lol

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Just finished the episode. This was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Man, I just had a long flight where I watched both Senna and the last "traditional" TG/GT episode and it kind of hit me hard. I started watching Top Gear back in 2004, after I saw an episode on a trip to Europe right before I started college. It's taken me through many of my major life milestones, both personal and professional, and although it's only a TV show, it's going to be different not to look forward to the next series. I know that it will go on in some form, but it's still the end of an era for me.