Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
poo poo, sounds like I should stop ignoring top gear.

Is it on BBC here in the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is there any word on when the next grand tour special is?

I gotta say, it feels like everyone lost when the original trio left the bbc.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Whoa the US/world get different soundtracks too? But that's some of the best parts! I used to love watching it and noting that whoever picked the soundtrack in certain episodes had similar taste to me.

If you have a VPN just make a fake account and throw in a UK postcode, gently caress waiting 6+ months for it. You have my blessing as someone who pays the license fee.

Just curious, does this allow you to watch old episodes as well?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Seems it only goes back to season 24. I mean they obviously own the rights to all of them so ideally they should put them all on because it's such as well-watched show.

So there's no way for someone in the UK to watch Top Gear the way it was originally broadcast?

December 18th for those of us that are lazy.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GutBomb posted:

Why do they keep trying?

Isn't the answer always money?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
How many more specials/years are they contracted for?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I mean, chemistry just takes time to build. The first season or two of top gear UK weren't great either, and it took them a few years to really hit their stride.

gently caress I wish there was a way to watch those episodes with the original music.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
loving cancer.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I really wish there was a way for me to pay $xx/month to watch old Top Gear episodes with the original music and not futz with storing them locally on some media server.

Although flash drives are really cheap these days.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'm watching some old Top Gear on Amazon and man, it is significantly worse without the right music.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ether Frenzy posted:

I keep trying to enjoy the Our Man in Japan series and I just have a hard time staying in front of the TV, despite loving James in general, definitely Oz & James which I've watched ten times or so, and especially in his cooking show and also being really interested in Japanese food. Maybe the Italy one will work better.

In other news one of my friends who originally turned me onto Top Gear in like 2003 before James joined, he'd stopped watching when the Big Three left, and has just now downloaded all the episodes he missed post-Chris Evans since Chris Evans sucks and it's obvious, and he's loving the Paddy-Freddie-Chris combo which I also find to be almost as good as the heyday of the Big Three era (seasons 3-18 or whatever before they started hating each other). Nice to be LTTP on that.

To be honest, I've watched almost zero Top Gear since the Big Three left. :sigh:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

builds character posted:

I like the new big 3 a lot. I don’t know that they have anyone quite as charming as James but over the past few years I’ve found the “Clarkson is a colossal prick” bit to wear a bit and I like all three of paddy, chris and Freddie.

James in Italy is pretty good. Definitely could use more money but what can you do? I found it a lot more engaging than James in Japan for some reason that I can’t quite pinpoint.

TheBacon posted:

I think I have enjoyed the new 3 more than the old Big Three on their last few Grand Tours. I really like chris and freddie is good too.

bull3964 posted:

I didn’t like them at first because most of the poo poo seemed mean spirited rather than just good natured screwing around.

They found a balance now and I would say I’ve moved from not liking to just “it’s watchable.”

The stuff they do still seems more contrived than anything Jeremy, James, and Richard did though. I mean, I know the poo poo that they did is largely staged too (with some genuine spontaneous moments thrown in) but the challenges on Top Gear now just seem like are REALLY stretching to make the challenges fit the theme (synthetic sweat, paint bomb for going over 50, old person suit). I mean, the results are entertaining enough to watch, but it just doesn’t feel like it flows as well.

I think mostly is that the outcomes of those challenges rarely yield anything downright hilarious happening. Someone is just slow, someone does well against all odds, and someone is just glad to be done with the challenge.

What season would you guys say is worth it to start watching again? Paddy/Chris/Freddie came after Matt left, right?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

As others have said, it definitely feels as though the show is coming to a close due to the presenters aging out. Scandiflick was still a ton of fun though.

Absolutely wild that I first found this show on a family vacation to Europe in 2004. This trio has taken me from my freshman year of college, where I watched episodes (from this website) streamed on a hacked Xbox, through med school, residency, marriage, and my first kid. By the end it'll have been 20 years: over half of my life. :stare:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Looks like June 16th for the next Grand Tour special. Central Europe this time.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-12085033/The-Grand-Tour-LOOK-Return-date-confirmed.html

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

ExParrot posted:

Word on the street is that the BBC have just axed Top Gear completely

I can’t imagine it’s ever been as popular since the trio left. Probably a lot easier to do today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I haven't watched any of the "Our man in ***" shows. Are they generally good? Tbqh I think the only May show I've watched was that old wine show he did in...France?