Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

jamal posted:

but then they wouldn't have the stig.

Tanner driving stuff is my favorite part of the US version.

The Stig doesn't actually do anything in Top Gear US. And I don't think they've really sold the idea of him/it as a character. You have to know The Stig from the UK series to get the point of him.

Also, as much as I love Warburton, they should really change the segment to "B-list Star in a 2nd Rate Car."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

_firehawk posted:

My DVR Reminded me that Top Gear USA has started back. Interesting episode so far.

Do you think Faust really opened Rutledge's door, or just said so Chevy wouldn't be mad and drop advertising?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ZippySLC posted:

For some reason it seems like the UK shows are longer, even with me fast forwarding through the SIARPC segments.

Like, I feel like TGUK could have done these challenges, done a speed lap, done the news, and reviewed a supercar all in the same amount of time.

US is only 40 minutes or so, and half of that time is spent retelling you what you just watched, or telling you what you're going to watch.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I thought the Dragon's Den was the high point of that segment. Clarkson screaming on the freeway was horrible.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I wanted James to win it with the bike.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

TGUS might have time to review cars if they didn't spend 30 seconds before and after each commercial break telling us what just happened and what we are going to see next.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Squid gun was the best part.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Crackin'

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Nee-son
High-un-die
Al-loo-mini-um

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The rental car could have used a few more neutral drops, but I liked the majority of the episode.

Cakefool posted:

Wait, how should I pronounce this?

Christ-ler

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Torque steer is overrated. If you drive it long enough, you subconsciously steady the wheel to drive straight without noticing that you're doing it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

marsisol posted:

Wow what an episode. I lost it when the Stig flipped his caravan and was kind of just hanging there.

I was really impressed by that. I figured the trailer would come unhitched or the hitch would tear out of the car from all of that stress.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Last night was good because Adam is terrible. I was really impressed that he didn't pick the worst example of some horrendous 1970's Detroit garbage. Also, his convertible mod was a really good idea. The best part was when they launched the roof off of his Tacoma, and then Tanner reversed into it at high speed before escaping.

I was also hoping they dumped the Tacoma onto the van. Or at least the helicopter would have showed up at the end with the water bucket to dump on the van.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Real Top Gear has a new DVD coming out.

Has Top Gear US given up on trying to have Adam do anything? He's really awful. Also, haha old people can't figure the difference between gas and brakes in a Toyota.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Fucknag posted:

RE: Hurt, Trent Reznor may have written it, but here's his thoughts on the Cash version:

Also, was it just me, or did it seem when the Corvette was on the monitor like Jeremy wanted to poke the rear end? :mmmhmm:

Alfa made of plastic - innovative weight saving design.
Corvette made of plastic - ghastly American design.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I live in NJ where the government has decided we are too incompetent to pump fuel, so I just hand my credit card out the window to the person who operates the pump for me.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Data Graham posted:

No. They, uh, seldom speak English.

They speak English. They just pretend that they don't for the most part.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe but Goldeneye music was used while they were looking at the missiles. I remember that one sound from playing the facility level of Goldeneye on N64.

One of these, this one maybe? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc9YHcKVT7A

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Take the third Reich. :ughh:

I hope that 58 minute long James May bike maintenance documentary is real.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I don't think modified vehicles are in the spirit of Top Gear, but the US seems to be going with it.

Too bad the minivan still turns like a 200hp minivan, with ugly rims, that's just about stanced. Also too bad Rutledge was literally never in the correct gear at any time. You'd think 1000hp would power through that, but I guess not.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I like how Rutledge has managed to lose weight everywhere but his head.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Why didn't they just unplug the electric fan instead of cutting the alternator belt?

* if that played in later, I fell asleep about 20 minutes in, though I did DVR it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

"Have general car knowledge outside of 1977 Detroit" would be a start.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

CornHolio posted:

I've always liked Ferrara's unashamed love of 70s era Detroit Steel. It reflects a lot of people I work with out here in the boonies. It's a perspective I've grown up around my entire life - "New cars are rubbish, this obscure GM product from 1975 is the best car ever and also I am never wrong!"

Yes, I realize how many people out there are really proud of their Dodge Omni, and the day they went down to the dealership to hit a Honda with a sledgehammer. But it's more predictable than Hammond choosing the Porsche. I just want my presenter to be more than that.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This was the most Top Gear episode the US has done.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lol at the line about Rut being an IT guy for buying a WRX.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Well that was a nice TG US episode, but they filled up their own vehicles in New Jersey... way to ruin the fourth wall there. I was hoping for some biting UK-style commentary about not being allowed to fill up your own drat car.

Eh that probably wasn't NJ. Besides that, I don't remember gas getting past $3.30 or so per gallon this year. They paid $3.64.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

DiggityDoink posted:

As someone who grew up in Jersey, I actually don't know of a single way to leave that doesn't involve paying a toll. There are only a few border crossings to the west and south due to the Delaware and north or east is New York. They love letting you in for free but gently caress you if you want to leave.

Where 295 loops around Trenton and turns into 95 in PA is free. I think there might be a few single lane country roads elsewhere.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

Everyone knows the best part about Top Gear are the reviews of mid line versions of obscure once British designed cars sold only in the UK and made in Albania or something.

Then you would love James May's Cars of the People.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

lt_kennedy posted:

May's got Moves :swoon:

That shirt hasn't disintegrated yet?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

The American south thing was entirely different. No one cared about their slogans. They only were in danger when some crazy lady called up some good ole boys to harass them. Even then, I don't think anyone in the south of the US is dumb enough to actually attack people with a big film crew.

Also the American South one was probably set up and fake.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

?????????

Where on earth are you looking at WRX's?

America? *installs Cobb* *turns up boost* *lowers car* *retrofit HIDs* *$150 mud flaps* *slam shifts everywhere* *blows headgasket* *crashes through a fence into a ditch on a long gravel driveway*

For sale, used WRX, tastefully modded.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

nmfree posted:

There's possibly a Top Gear/Top Gear US crossover? :getin:

I know they dont normally pair up across the shows, but I want to see a bizarre pairing of Adam Ferrara and Richard Hammond. I want to see Clarkson get annoyed by pretty boy Foust. I think Rutlege and May would have a great time together.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I haven't bothered to look it up, but I'm sure the 130 mpg number is the equivalent when running on all electric charged from a station. Driving like a maniac while simultaneously charging the batteries with a 3 cylinder, I'd say 31 mpg is pretty good.

I wanted to see the i8 go around the track.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Peugeot segment was great.

Can someone explain how a double mini roundabout works?

Does Peugeot have an american equivalent?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Grumpwagon posted:

I've found myself saying that when driving now.

Going to have to work that in with "Auntie, reverse auntie. Reverse reverse reverse."

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Why is Chris Evans shouting constantly? Why does he look like Brick Top?

Also I just don't feel right about them keeping the same theme song and old lap times, like shouldn't it be a full reboot or something?

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 30, 2016

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This whole star in a rallycross car completely misses the point of what the reasonably priced car was.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Why does the jag suv have the driver on the left?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I noticed they rewrote all the lap time labels in Shouty man's handwriting.