Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
The first 10min or so was good. Went downhill with the delivering lunches stunt. The train part was OK, but the dinner party was poo poo, not interesting at all.
The driving on the highways was OK, as was the driving into the mountains, (except for the car mods, bit sick of the gag about them ruining the cars, would have been nicer to keep them more standard).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

coolskillrex remix posted:

Seems theyre getting lazy and dont realize that everyone can see the scripted gags from a mile away.
They're happy with the pay cheque and want to run that same poo poo into the ground. That's about it as far as I'm concerned.
Golden years are season 5 to 10 :colbert:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Sheik Yerbouti posted:

Season 12 was the best one: Truck challenge, communist cars, the Fiesta test, Vietnam... :allears:
Season 5-10 includes most of the cheap car challenges, most of the races through europe, the first USA trip, the african botswana trip, a heap of car reviews. All round pretty solid. Season 12 was ruined by season 11, therefore can't be included, was OK though.
edit: Think of all the 'firsts' they did in s5-10, it's been in repeat since then in some form or another in any of the newer series (except for Vietnam or Bolivia), that was my point.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 29, 2011

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

meatpimp posted:

I thought there was a separate thread for non-"real" Top Gear? Anyway, is there any news on the upcoming UK season?
A christmas special in Dec and next series starting January.

in the mean time, I don't mind the USA TG.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Cat Terrist posted:

Look up on Youtube for Mineshaft and VR4 to find out why it has that unique notation.
http://youtu.be/FxiyERUauwQ?t=10s
You weren't kidding.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Sprat Sandwich posted:

I thought the same for the first few minutes but then the announcer guy showed up and it was great. "Jeremy has insulted Duncan Bannatyne and now he too is out."

I do agree that a 2-3 minute trim of the P45 segment would've been nice.

Yeah the voice over saying "Jeremy has insulted Duncan Bannatyne and now he too is out." was the only funny part of that segment. In fact the funniest part of the whole show. I wasn't too impressed with the whole show really, it wasn't that great. The Pagani segment bored me, only the Bentley rally was decent.

Measly Twerp posted:

Have to agree, it's that "omg I'm so awkward hahaha" style commedy that frankly was barely funny the first time. Basically, I get embarrassed for the people being embarrasing and have to skip. That's why I hate The Office.

Ni!
It's a style of comedy people like, especially in the UK. Frank Spencer, Mr Bean etc. I don't like it at all either though.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I wasn't saying the TG segment was like that, I know the Dragons Den show as I've seen it, that's why I found the ending so funny.
Yes it was 'faked' as you say. I was just agreeing I don't like a type of comedy in general, which is a type of comedy TG don't do (well) anyway.

Edit: VVVV
What are you talking about? There were cars, fun and laughing in the Bentley rallying segment and I liked it.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 30, 2013

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
The people standing on the road and trying to guide were the passengers I thought, so only the driver died?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Pfft, roadkill has already been here, I would have cared about that if I knew beforehand.
TGUK already done a few rip off expensive ticket studio/arena shows in Australia.

What I'd want to say to the roadkill guys: Love your work, keep going.
What I would say to the TGUK guys: Surely it's about time to wrap it up?
Perth:
In the north it's full of the English, go down a little further and it's South Africans, then you get the wealthier 3rd gen white Australians from the old country, then the gentrified areas close to the city, often full of Italians and Greeks.
Near the city and the coast (AKA "The western suburbs") they'll find their own kind in range rovers and $2-30million properties and a nice picnic spot on the grass right on cottesloe beach, and the suburbs all the magnates and politicians come from.

But go too far inland and you'll hit the natives and the poor though, watch it!
Too far south you might find some Asians, don't want any new faux pas again do we?
Perth sucks.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 24, 2014

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

spog posted:

I give in, what are they?

A border you can cross to England and a port with a ship you can use to get to another country?

Wouldn't be suprised if it was apparently top gear's fault that there is a toll to pay to get into Wales either, many of their earlier features were on and about the roads in Wales. :v:

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 25, 2014

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

You Am I posted:

I'm afraid of heights (I can't even get on the roof of my house without wobbling like a drunk) but love flying

While being on a roof top for me is nothing, two stories up on a roof I'm a mess. It doesn't help that those roofs are often steeper too (talking about domestic angled tile/tin/slate, not flat top multi story commercial building/apartments).
Taking off in a cessna and low flying around the city though is nothing. It's perception of safety.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Nov 26, 2014

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

My Lovely Horse posted:

Bill Bailey said on Sunday's QI XL that UKIP was basically "Top Gear for people who don't like cars."
Then why did he go on the show?
Also, what does Bill Bailey do? Because he's never been funny.

I can't really defend top gear, it's not very good any more, but what I dislike more than top gear is people trying to look good by slagging it.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 28, 2014

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

KozmoNaut posted:

You're dead to me.

:(

I liked black books, but Bill Bailey was the least funny person in it.
Moran co wrote it, Pegg wrote for spaced, Bailey is annoying and at least Lee is amusing when ripping into topgear or UKIP

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 28, 2014

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
It was pretty good.
I noticed that there's three berks* in front of the camera too.

*Yes I am in the UK obviously, otherwise I would not know anything about berkeley hunts.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Thread was better when the plate argument didn't show up again.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
What have topgear done?
Russia are sending su-24s to Argentina (trading them for food rather than selling in some arms deal)
http://www.janes.com/article/47293/uk-reviews-falklands-defence-as-russia-offers-su-24s-to-argentina
http://theaviationist.com/2014/12/29/su-24-fuerza-aerea-argentina/

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
My favourite part about the Falklands war was not a numberplate, but bringing those old V bombers out of retirement and doing that insane operation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Black_Buck :colbert:

Can we move on?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Just watched it.
What the hell is the point of a 6 series that's a 4 door? I thought the whole point of the 6 was they introduec it to replace 5 series coupes?
Legendary BMW way of doing things I guess. Probably an options list a A4 sheet long and prices to match. Must be hard to push away the ming mole at their dealers.

Ep was OK, but kind of boring for an Aussie. Boring to look at your own country but I like the top gear eps in other continents that I haven't seen so it's obviously a personal critique. I was more interested when roadkill came down here though to be honest.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 2, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

JazzmasterCurious posted:

I haven't paid that much attention to detail — there's a tonneau cover that you can't just chuck away? So you can't actually load higher than the cover? Seriously? No wonder GM was (is) doomed.

The GM/Holden ute high performance utes down here are the same. But the cover can be removed and stored in your garage. They still have lovely load and tow ratings compared to the ford ute. The ford ute is rear tray on a chassis, unlike the unibody GM/H, so the ford is a real workhorse available with tray/flat bed, or tonneau cover, or canopy/custom storage for lock away items like tools and gas cylinders and has greater load and tow ratings; which is the reason why my ute is a ford even if it means it doesn't have a LSx.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Feb 6, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

webmeister posted:

As someone who works in market research, this sort of stuff isn't that unusual. I agree that out of context it looks and sounds ridiculous, but you don't hear about the times it does get results. I'd guess their methodology failed in other areas as well.

Back on topic, this week's has to surely be one of the funniest they've ever done? I was dying with laughter almost the entire time

I laughed more about the liberal party spill.
I guess I'm old and jaded, or been watching too many episodes too many times and they're just getting 'old'.
When SIARPC is the highlight I don't know what to think.

Genix posted:

Anyone notice if they still have the Cool Wall in the studio? As it has to be at least a few seasons since it last made an appearance.

Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RICLEU7kK3Y

Don't remember seeing it for a while, but I know the original one got burnt when they had the studio fire a long long time ago. They may have done a half arsed cool wall with the burnt bits for a few episodes or the following series after that

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 10, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
That's a SIARPC segment I can skip.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Many, many things, but that's beside the point.
SIARPC is often boring anyway, and no one is going to top are Dan of course.

Let me think of some good ones. jay-kay was alright because of his car history and the little fella tried so hard. Ellen MacArthur was because it came out of nowhere, same for Kevin McCloud. Maybe old Brian Johnson. James Blunt was funny too, also Helen Mirin and Philip Glenister. Besides all them, every other one sucked going by my memory and quick name check.
The rest have been boring except for F1 drivers (to watch their own egos being crushed)

e: K-naut is going to post "what about Bill Bailey" I expect...
Sucked.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 12, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

blk posted:

I was surprised that they didn't like the idea of a RHD Mustang. I'd take most any RHD-only car of interest in LHD. I wonder if right-handed people in RHD countries are a bit more ambidextrous than the rest of us - not just because of the shifter, but the whole center stack. I wonder how a LHD Mustang would sell in the UK compared to a RHD, or in Japan/Australia/etc.
In the 80s and 90s they were common. A fair few 1960s and 1970s mustangs and other USA muscle cars were driving around with a huge sticker across the rear window saying "Caution: Left Hand Drive". There were a couple of dealers that sold nothing else but used imported USA muscle cars.

Pretty sure LHD imports are banned now. There might be an exception on vintage cars, and existing ones on the road grandfathered in. But now any import generally has to be converted to RHD to be licensed. e: Which I've heard is at least $20k for the job, engineering approval etc.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Feb 16, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Aren't there ones (in eastern europe or the ME), that use a giant turbine to flow water/blow it out as well? They're the best.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Clarkson said early lyrics. I was disappointed as I grew up with fresh prince of belair and dj jazzy jeff and the fresh prince. I haven't heard or watched anything Will Smith has done since the original MIB
Suprised when Will Smith said his actual first car was a candy apple red iroc, as that's in the lyrics to "who stole my car?"
'my car looked like it was a lego explosion...'

quote:

I remember my first car, never forget it
A candy apple red I ROC, windows deep tinted
Talk about fast like a rocket to drive
Went from zero to 60 in like 5.5
Imagine red rims but that wasn't enough
It had a car phone for when I wanted to reach out and touch
An alpine stereo the straight up rock
With 12" woofers you could hear for blocks

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Data Graham posted:

It was like

:saddowns:

It was kind of like a disinterested in driving face, which is what they were trying to convey.
I think the segment ran too long, so lost a lot of effect.
But I agree with the sentiments, peugeot used to be good. Then they decided people will buy their cars because they were locally cheap, or imported cheap (for the brand snobs). They used cheap 'features', they just stopped caring about quality engineering and made them as fancy and cheap as possible. As a result, attracted the worst drivers. My english born grandfather while he was in Australia went from french cars to subaru and suzuki, because french cars became so bad.

I would also like the double roundabout explained to me. I've seen larger ones in major thoroughfares (intersections so big you treat them one at a time) . In a small intersection it has no reason for being though.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 23, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Ugh, it only exists so people coming from Banbury rd can turn right. gently caress them, let them find another way, I don't want to learn a whole new traffic system just to suit people I don't care about.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

PT6A posted:

Hmm... I wonder what the odds are that a bunch of rich guys who are used to having people cater to their every whim would just take it lying down when Ferrari says or implies they can't do something with their car that they bought with their money?

Frankly, I feel like it'd be fairly easy to get more than a few owners to show up just to prove a point.

Careful, a bunch on people not wanting to cater to every whim or take poo poo laying down is how unions start. Rich people wouldn't want to set that example.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 23, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

InitialDave posted:

Barrie has done a few shows himself on cars anyway. Though he's probably closer to May than Clarkson.
Yeah, I think I saw him recently on a british invention show. I don't remember the details but it involved a tank I think. He's a James May replacement, not a Clarkson replacement. That said, if they all quit, then the show could live on with Barrie, Harris, and some mop and bucket to replace Hammond.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
OK, as you like, Chris Evans as mentioned before.
Barrie, Harris, Evans.
e: I just realised, the 3X show, all Chris'

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 11, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

wesley snypes posted:

Replace Clarkson with Sabine Schmitz and get on with it

Apparently people that care enough to write in, or give more than a few fucks, are all lamenting that Clarkson makes TG work, and the show will be crap without him. I'm sure a D&D poster can come up with an appropriate term for such a strong attachment to louts and relics.

I'm with you though, he's past his used by date and the show can survive without him. Replace him and move on, it's not like he's a comedic genius or driving superstar, he just owned topgear as a brand until recently, but that's not a thing any more.
I don't watch TG for comments on current event or the status of various peoples or groups for his opinion. I watch it for entertaining cars and driving. There's more than enough talent out there to fill that slot and Clarkson doesn't own the brand any more.
gently caress it. People want to protest? Think about how many more seasons these guys have in them now. 1-2-3? They're over it. The format is good but I'm over them too.
E: Some people hate change so much they can't see the future and obvious; or the old fat should be retired elephant in the room. I'd prefer roadkill to be a weekly show.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 14, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Bill Bailey? :D

Who beat clarksons 1.50 time in the liana? Who ever it was, they could be in the running. What's jay kay doing?

Chriss Barrie was good in briitsh inventions, funnier than clarkson too.
Chris Evans is a shoe in for Hammond, better and has his own car collection for future episodes. E: he did a good time in the liana too.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 14, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
After may came in, it wasn't that comfortable a relationship, it wasn't that good early on, and compared to the "golden years" it's got worn a little thin and a bit strained now that they're older.
gently caress it, have guest hosts until a popular vote if you lot can't make your mind up.
The only thing I like about Clarkson is when he does his 70s/80s ford hooligan thing. I like may for the non top gear stuff he's done, he's like the boffin, interested in engineering type. Anyone can replace Hammond.
Doesn't sound hard to replace any of them to me. If May will stay then I'm happy. But many better people could replace Clarkson and Hammond, and if May want to go, a replacement could be found (but he might want to stay to keep up the other specials he does, plus might not end up being the slowest)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 14, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Cakefool posted:

Who did we have before May?

Jason Dawes IIRC, not a driver or co host, but an ex dealer or something like that on the show to tell people about what cars are a bargain to buy new or s/h in just a very short car review segment.
This was only in the first series where it was the clarkson show, but had hammond as a sidekick and wanted it to be a more serious topgear like the previous old topgear.
Back then there was like 6 people in the audience.
E: If you think I meant the golden years were pre James May, then hell no. Golden years were from series 4/5 and the best early specials/epic races up to Vietnam that James May was involved in. I just meant series 1-3 were pretty rough.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 14, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

holocaust bloopers posted:

I'd rather have no Top Gear than any of the guys go. It's not the format, the travel films, or access to cars. Their friendship and chemistry is what makes the show function.

How could you be so wrong?
Have you heard of acting?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Just then I was acting concerned about your opinion. Inwardly I was caring about the fact it's 3AM SUN here and I've got to process all my tax info Sunday evening in order to meet with an accountant on Monday at 9AM.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Ariza posted:

You've obviously got an ax to grind with the show, so you probably should go do something else. It's one of the most popular shows in the world based on the hosts, not because it's about cars. If you think replacing them wouldn't tank the show then I believe you're being willfully dense or slave to your weird hatred.

No axe to grind, I've followed the show since the beginning. Are all you people petitioning that clarkson makes the show and must be reinstated going to crawl into a ball and cry when he wants to quit?
I really don't watch the show to listen to his hypocritical statements. He's OK, has been better in the past and has developed a 2d persona formula that could be easily replaceable. I don't watch top gear for him, I watch it for the format and production.
Seriously off the top of your head, describe clarkson on top gear.
If it's anything but "speed" "power", "old man", "bumbling fool", "hitting things with a hammer", "power sliding", "laughing at other's misfortune", I'd be interested in what it is. I even have watched the old top gear because it's funny to me as young clarkson looks like my older brother. No axe to grind, I was moved by his tribute to Burns, and even that thing he said recently about a porsche and getting to his dying father. Also the few documentaries he did ion the "greatest raid" and I.K. Brunel.
But bottom line, he's going to retire soon anyway, save us a lot of trouble if they looked at future presenters now.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 24, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
So maybe you'd like top gear just as much if not better if they replaced him with a hot looking woman or man then?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Will you settle for a small idiot? Maybe Hammond will stay on :v:

E:VVVV
But I don't think the badge on the cortina matched up. Fail.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

InitialDave posted:

Aye.

gently caress Rotherham.

Just as well you didn't say gently caress Sheffield, me ma's from Sheffield.

gently caress Sheffield.
My grand-dad tried to escape Sheffield, but the germans turned him back at dunkirk. Arseholes.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 18, 2015