Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

djdanno13 posted:

Edit: What has to be posted in every Top Gear thread.

pt.1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgABbHPdwH4
pt.2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0i0RXMvzMs&feature=related

No it doesnt. What an unfunny twat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

This is hilarious, and the point he makes is totally valid.

Here's a video of the kind of people this "comedian" is speaking to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSqkdcT25ss

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah have to agree, even compared to other lesser car shows that really wasn't up to scratch, let alone anywhere near what TG UK is known for. It's like when they did the journey they had not much happen and had to go back to force things - I think the specials tend to have unexpected poo poo happen that the crew uses to script and stage other events, so you have what feels like a spontaneous show as it builds dynamically.

There really was no feel that they had anything other than their set of pre trip bullet points and that's why it fell flat.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

sigtrap posted:

Thanks Andy Wilman for your well written thoughts I understand your budget is small I hope it gets bigger in the future also regarding the garden scene is to be but as much as they cannot so we instead had to use trains which was for the boys' safety and the government needed to see the script those lunches we real but it was all for fun well I should be off I have some more correspondence to write it should be fun so take care trains safety car doors being opened into other cars sincerely sigtrap

I dont remember seeing you at a family lunch......?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I would have thought the thing the Indians would have arced up about was the use of Bombay instead of its real name Mumbai. That really surprised me as that is a very touchy issue to the residents of said city as to a great many it brings back memory of the British occupation and all the unplesantness that bought with it. Everything else was frankly barely minor and just silly.

Not really sure what Clarkson or the BBC were thinking with that one

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I HATE CARS posted:

Man, I supposed I shouldn't surprised about racism after that mustang thread from a few years back, but that latest SIARPC sure seems to have brought you all out again.

He's a zero talented oval office who was a boring guest. How the gently caress is that racist?

The car was awful too.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Piano posted:

Wait am I supposed to know who that guest was? I'm not trying to be a smarmy hipster or something, I honestly think I've never heard of him. I thought it was another UK person I've never been exposed to but apparently not.

You dont want to. My ears are still bleeding from the "music" that craptacular "band" produce. It is some of the utter worse bile to be vomited up by some producer with computers in the last 20 years and that includes all the latest PYT's that have nothing other than bouncing boobs for talent.

This is a man who takes Fergie and uses her as the very definition of talentless boob bouncer and screeching harpie, while completely ignoring she can do this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjmTf31MAe8

gently caress him and his deadshit "band"

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Muffinpox posted:

So I take it you've never actually listened to any BEP because she literally sings like that in a good 80% of tracks?

I take it you are tone deaf?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ecstatic posted:

Chinese cars have made their way to Aus, Great Wall produce a series of utes and 4wd's for about 30% less than equivalent Toyota. I haven't read a review of them yet where the journalist hasn't gone into it without a "this will be crap" frame of mind though.

The first lot of Great Walls were... umm.... bad. However they have improved so fast it's mind blowing and they now get 4 stars on NCAP. Also the quality has likewise improved out of sight.

The handling and ride is pretty much 5-10 years behind but again, improving rapidly. The other thing of note is that the Chinese seem to be able to make tooling changes much quicker and hence you can have noticeable differences in the car over a year as corrections and changes are made.

The reality is that the Chinese are doing the exact same thing the Koreans and before them the Japanese did - built copies, learned from mistakes, began design for themselves and then leave the ones they copied behind. The Chinese in this case are doing it faster and to me I have no doubt they will produce a genuinely good car within this decade of their own design.

http://www.ancap.com.au/crashtestrecord?Id=356 NCAP for Great Wall X240. I believe no car anymore can gain 5 stars without ESC (Which to me is bullshit but eh not the one working this stuff out)

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Feb 7, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Car chase story loving sucked. Worst episode in a long time.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ecstatic posted:

I don't think it can be done with todays high level of performance without being flatout dangerous. SSC and Henessey are both making ridiculous 1200 hp 1200 kg twin turbo V8's that can't be driven in any any form of anger on a public road, the thing kicks out at 250 kph+. Jerod Shelby says is next car will be developed at the Ring and I guarantee you they will total a car in the process.

All other automotive manufacturers realize this and make even their halo cars drivable by bankers, otherwise you simply get a reputation for making cars that kill CEO's.

And yet McLaren can do it with much less hp and then if you want to spend up grab a Veyron, that seems t be more than just a bit capable of restraining huge hp - Henessey and SSC are more about OMG look at my dick 1200 horsepowaaaaas! Lack of applied engineering nous and too much brute force.

BTW, how exactly do you think most Italian supercar makers got to be the legends they are? That would be killing CEO's at huge speeds getting their dicks sucked by supermodels. That's the drat point of a Supercar, to go through the Pearly Gates backwards on fire screaming "HOLY gently caress THAT WAS AWESOME!!!"

Frankly there's too much climate control and not enough out of control on fire /road head in modern Supercars. Besides, one less banking CEO, who gives a gently caress about them?

..... Annnnd thinking about it it appears Henessey and SSC are the ones actually making proper supercars now. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Wonder how many supermodels fit in an SSC?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Is Henessey the one with the really bad reputation for ripping people off on tuning work for Vipers etc?

Yes. But then again Italian Supercar manufacturers also have a fine history of more than just a bit of shady poo poo / Mafia involvement

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ecstatic posted:

Agree on the dick waving point from SSC & Henessey, but the Veyron has 4WD, weighs almost two and a half tonnes and has a host of traction/stability aids (air brakes etc). I assume on the Mclaren front you were talking about the F1 GTR, which was just crashed by Mr Bean a guy who has little bit of driving experience....

You won't see that from Porsche/Ferrari/Mclaren etc anymore, I mean look at the V8 atom, it's already gotten the moniker as "hard as hell to drive".

Right, so with the Veyron see comment about engineering and then reference LACK of engineering to Hennessey / SSC, it is completely possible to engineer stupid hp cars and be easy to drive at the same time - you dont even need to resort to ridulous extremes. The F1 also is also well known to actually be quite drivable and impeccably engineered - Mr Atkinson was.... shall we say .... driving enthusiastically. This in no way goes against the reputation the F1 has for being relatively easy to drive despite is performance.

The Atom however IS by all accounts a difficult vehicle to master in any form. That has much more to do with laws of physics and it's size. It however is no Supercar and not a CEO killer - it's as close to a true open wheeler race car as you can get away with on public road. It is NOT a car for supermodels. It is a car for .... well... people like me who go on and on and on about the banalities of steering, suspension and the evils of heavy thuggish V8's in what should be small precise sports cars but on the otherhand can steer a car far better than 99% of the population could dream of.

So - Supercars are for going off the road backwards in flames, Atoms are for flannel wearing dweebs to bore friends and relatives with. Supercars can be engineered well. Legend Supercars usually are very flawed indeed!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Nomenclature posted:

Not really. The F1 was notorious for high speed instability without the rear wing installed. I think I recall a top speed shootout for some major magazine (probably Road & Track or Car & Driver) where Michael Andretti came back in and refused to drive the F1 without the wing, and it only did ~210 MPH with the wing installed.

I have never heard of said issue, all instances I've read or heard recalls that the F1 was a very good car to drive either in the city or giving it hell and certainly no where near the handful to master of it's high speed contemporaries like the F40

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Internet Meme posted:

Can someone explain to me why the Ferrari FF's AWD system is so much better than any other rear-biased AWD system (like ATTESA)? Because I'm not getting why people be jizzing over it.

It's not, I dont think anyone is overly impressed.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Surely the officials will be having one hell of a pointed discussion with Montoya. WTF was he thinking going that fast?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

SFH1989 posted:

He was coming out of the pits trying to catch back up with the pack. He wasn't doing anything wrong (that I'm aware of, not a huge NASCAR fan) and he just was unlucky that his rear suspension broke in that spot.

You do NOT just go that quick when you have safety vehicles anywhere near you. He needs at the least a clueX4 to hit some sense into him

quote:

I think that rally driver guy is The Stig.

Toni Gardenmeiser is not the Stig

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Delivery McGee posted:

It wasn't all that near him. It was right on the wall, he was as low as possible. You of all people should know that poo poo tends to go pear-shaped at the worst possible time.

Yes exactly, I *know* how poo poo goes wrong. Why on earth do you think I'm having a hissy fit to such an avoidable incident? The simple fact is Montoya was going far, far too fast and it was only luck that a marshall or track worker wasnt hurt as a result and I can only ask what the hell was he thinking?

quote:

Calling it now, CT is the Stig.

Two of them are known to me and neither are my cat.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Left Ventricle posted:

You son of a bitch.

(Audi-censored the best bit! :argh:)

Before watching : WTF, Audi?

After : Ahhhhh clever!

Really good episode, understated but very good.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

You Am I posted:

I was feeling sad for the early 928 that copped it :(

If it wasnt an S4, it's no great loss.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Frankly xxxx Worst Drivers is always loving appalling TV crap at it's worst gently caress that poo poo, gimme TG re-runs anyday

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Dyscrasia posted:

Exactly. It is easy to call a cheap lovely car lovely. the show was about car companies making expensive cars who should know better, lexus being a perfect example

Except when Datsun produces the 120Y, which is spectaclarly bad even by Datsun standards - even by Lightburn Zeta standards - the Lexus looks like a work of automotive art.

Any worst car ever DVD that doesnt have either the 120Y or the Zeta really isnt trying. Those truly are, even for the standards they are held to, so utterly godawful that they defy belief any rational human could possibly have allowed them to be produced.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

But you don't like yugos so your ideas about what makes a good car are suspect. :colbert:

I'm pretty sure my opinion on Yugos arent harsh enough actually :D

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

superv0zz posted:

AFAIK the Aussie Top Gear was cancelled after season 4.

And we all cheered, it was worthless poo poo.

If you all want a GOOD Aussie show, look up Mighty Car Mods

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Logikv9 posted:

I don't know why anyone didn't single out the Dragon's Den section of the P45 segment. It's unbelievably hilarious because it's shot and structured exactly how a reality show would be, a nice change of pace from the rest of this awesome segment.

"words"
"I'm sorry I can't understand a single word you're saying"

That's because frankly for me it was a cringingly bad, just plain unfunny abortion and a blight on an otherwise terrific season opener. Remove those five minutes and you would have had a perfect show.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I really liked that segment too, but I was always under the impression that the numbers were opposite of what they had explained. Ex: 1 is drat-near a hairpin, whereas a 6 is a super-gentle full-throttle turn. I guess it varies from driver to driver.

It actually more varies country to country. While there is no fixed notes system, you tend to find Australia and NZ goes with 1-10 (this is what I use), England uses 1 to 6, Europe uses 6 - 1 and then there's the gears system, 1 to 4, or descriptive (ie, no numbers, only easy, tight, stop, hairpin, medium, flat, absolute etc)

The symbols tend to be more common across whatever systems, so that > is usually widens, < narrows, ^ crest etc. ! is ALWAYS a caution, this is across all systems as it is a route chart notation. Parachute is always a cliff on the side of the road. The Mineshaft in Canberra has it's own unique call that is common across all systems - !!!Parachute.

Look up on Youtube for Mineshaft and VR4 to find out why it has that unique notation.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

pik_d posted:

Jeremy Clarkson and James May said it's not a hatchback so it's not a hatchback.

If Jeremy Clarkson said the moon was made from sperm, would you believe him?

The 500 is VERY clearly a hatchback, the BRZ is a liftback.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Linedance posted:

counterpoint: she's boring, her accent is the same as the one they use to sell you stuff you're not interested in on the telly, she's owned several Audis.

I am honestly trying to comprehend how anyone can honestly think this. This is AI and she's a loving car geek. That show was Top Gear. She can drive. She's got money. The Audis she has owned are R8's, which are rather good to say the least.

How in seven hells isn't she perfect girlfriend material for everyone who is even the slightest bit interested in cars?

Stop thinking with your brain and think with your dick on this one.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

jediguy posted:

I guess I'm the only one who thought this was a poo poo episode.

Yep, in this case you are. The handbrake talk had me in stitches especially

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

sigtrap posted:

It was my understanding that all American cars are equipped with burger warmers, is true yes?

My Aussie car wont let you start it unless you are pissed off your nut on VB with a sheila to root in the back seat and a cattle dog in the tray.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The fact they acknowledged the production crew to me lead to more "organic" moments and a more natural feel to the show - when things did go wrong they REALLY went wrong despite the backup. There wasn't the usual scripted gags in the main - they were if anything actually giving a poo poo about what they were doing. You could see they were thinking about the usual gags like setting Hammond's car on fire but in the end they took a surprisingly competent turn and made a big effort to take a lot of this seriously.

And as they said, they were ambitious but actually not rubbish.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Fucknag posted:

There's no real reason for FWD cars to understeer that's inherent to the drivetrain.

Define drivetrain. If you are talking about the engine in isolation, no. Gearbox in isolation? Actually, yes that can be the case. Driveshafts and hubs? Again yes can be the case. Differentials? Yes, quite a contributor actually. Location and how it all is bolted together? That's where you have a signifigant problem and why FWD do inherently understeer, let alone the other driveline issues.

I'd also add that it's very much the case over many years I've seen the latest great hot hatch described in glowing terms about deletion of understeer and yet the next generation of hottie comes along and the oen it overtook gets lumped as understeering lardass. The Focus ST will also cop that. Hell, the Mazda MZR or whatever the turbo is called was lauded as torquesteer free by most journalists at the time of it's release. That's..... kinda not true, is it? Plus also add that car companies slip prepared specials for journalists that later dont represent production cars. Hell the Focus RS was called nearly understeer free but that aint true as well. That's a hell of a car tho that be true!

Dont get me wrong tho, hot hatches and FWD hotties are a hoot and I love thrashing them. But I pretty much look at the glowing praise with wariness and get ready to left foot brake anyway.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Trabant posted:

Hey now, the British needed the Falklands for strategic sheep purposes!

Oil actually. There's some big reserves there I believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I think Roadkill has changed my expectations - And I hate to say it, but the scripted disasters of TG really are getting old. Roadkill has the kind of spontenatity and "Holy gently caress what now?!?!" that TG got to be known for but has lost. Sure, TG is a mile better than any TV based car show..... but the ground has shifted, it's not just TV anymore and we have Roadkill or Chris Harris or MCM (hell Regular Car Reviews too) and a few others that dont have a budget but are executed better on the Internet.

That's what is putting TG into the category of "watch when bored" rather than "watch as soon as it's out" for me - It's just not as good as it was and now we have better. There is a lot of phoning it in by the three of them, it seems like it's just a pay cheque and that's it. It's not like they are all just simply getting older or some nonsense like that, James May doing a lap of hte TT circuit on a Meccano motorbike (!) was incredibly interesting, funny and worth watching... and better than what he's done on TG lately too.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

You Am I posted:

I don't think people here get Alfas - they are always badly built, but with passion. It'll fall apart, but you'll love the exhaust note even if it is spewing exhaust into the interior.

If by passion you mean a bored Italian who only gives a poo poo about scoring a root with the dark haired waitress with the big tits at the bar, sure.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

HotCanadianChick posted:

And the best Italian car of all time was also 4WD - the Lancia Delta HF Integrale

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

No - It's actually quite awful. When the Japanese worked out AWD AND worked out they needed to spend real money to win, it got it's teeth kicked in.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Shrapnac posted:

Goons really are face blind.

That guy looks absolutely nothing like Al Gore.

It's clearly Senator Dickbag from Iron Man 2

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

webmeister posted:

The P1 has a blue flame thing going on with the exhaust as well, like at about 45 seconds onwards:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t1L5ShVR8w

Maybe it's something specific to the hybrid motors that the 918 and the P1 use?

A few cars will blow blue flames on the overrun, even non exotica. Factors like heat of the exhaust (glowing exhausts pretty much guarenttee flame), amount of unburnt fuel etc . Rotarys are notorious for it, my basically stock at the time Series II blew impressive flames when on a track or on a quiet night somewhere dark with corners. WRX's do it too and even my Commodore has burped a few. It's not just a supercar thing or a tuned like all gently caress engine thing either - most turbo cars will do it when you give them heaps, moreso with a big open exhaust. Hugely hot exhausts, bit of unburnt fuel, good chance of spitting flames.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 7, 2014

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

West SAAB Story posted:

The P.C. police have a hard-on for Top Gear anyhow, since they are driving cars which hurts Mother Earth. Expensive ones, too. But, yeah, that is an offensive term. I can't say I've heard anyone under the age of DEAD A COUPLE DECADES use it in that manner, though.

It's been a couple of years since I last heard it used, but it was a much more widely used racial insult than just old soldiers returned from Vietnam. I'm not buying the excuse from TG this time, they would have known it's a highly offensive racial term - and it certainly wasnt being used to be funny.

quote:

Do people actually get upset at very vaguely offensive terms?

Weeeeeeeell...... it's not a vaguely offensive term here. It's quite a blatant one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

OldPueblo posted:

If one knows something wasn't meant to be offensive but they still take offense, they are dumb. I'm not championing Jeremy Clarkson, but I doubt it was intended to be actual real offense. Intent/context always matters, and in the context of comedy things like this really don't count in my book. See every comedian ever in a stand up routine.

That's where I dispute that it was "comedy" or accidental. The context was an Asian on a bridge and Clarkson making obviously racist remarks that were not in any way shape or form funny.

Come on, slope on a bridge? How else was that supposed to be seen?