Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
The FXX quite simply isn't a road car in any shape or form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

holocaust bloopers posted:

If I recall that segment correctly, relative to the other two cars, his was the absolute worst. It was bad even for a supercar.

The other problem is (as best I can confirm from a quick search) the GT only has a 17.5 gallon tank while the F430 and the Zonda both have 25 gallons.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

dissss posted:

The complicate things some 'Japanese' cars like the Euro Civic hatch are actually made in the UK so the RHD models have their stalks around the LHD (wrong) way

Dunno if it's still the case, but the first diesel Subaru Legacy's that made it here were Euro spec, so had indicators on the left, unlike every other Legacy in the country.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
There's a certain amusement watching the BBC's handwringing over every vaguely controversial thing Clarkson says or does (not to downplay what may have gone on here), when they're the same organisation that let child rapists have free reign of the place for like 40 years.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Ferremit posted:

Its a very well known insult against asians in Australia tho, but other than that? And we're so loving closet racist it would have made more people laugh than get insulted anyway- we're the country who just had our Prime Minister tell the indigenous population that living on their land and living their culture was a "Lifestyle choice" afterall.

There are many things in the closet in Australia (usually trying to kill you), but racism is not one of them, in a lot of cases it's out and proud.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I've heard that XJs are deadly cheap over there because spare parts are super hard to find and must be ordered at huge markups from the US. Thus you get really nice XJs with some minor issues that are sold for peanuts even compared to what they would cost you here (where they are already cheap as poo poo.)

Pretty much the same case here in NZ too, except the cost of shipping is even higher, it can be hundreds and hundreds of dollars *if* a vendor will even ship here in the first place. And they simply don't exist in junkyards. 4.0l Jeeps of any description range from either beat to poo poo with lots of jury-rigged fixes, or really really nice condition ones with prices to match.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Well for a start it would seem like producing a show that regularly shoots across Europe suddenly gets a lot more complicated, I’m fairly sure I’ve head him speak along those lines before.

Similarly, I understand that in the past, “hello we’re from the BBC” helped grease things in some parts of the world, a lot more than “Jeff Bezos sent us”.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Great ep. The guys have great chemistry and I thought the challenge was great. Not going too far into whacky stuff (now turn your car into a food truck) but going all out with the impressive wall of death finale.

Did anyone else notice the horrible rattles in the 220 on the top speed run though? Jesus. Like, of course a 30yo Jag rattles, but that seemed bad enough that no way am I keeping it buried for 200mph :magical:

Also enjoyed Freddie’s sheer excitement, comparing it to his cricket days x100 or whatever, impressive given the guy bowled easily two of the greatest overs in test cricket history. Demolishing Kallis in 2008 is textbook perfect, perfectly distilling the chess-like strategy of test cricket down to one perfect over. Do not want to face 150kmh bouncers from someone that tall.
https://youtu.be/NziCH4Tx3CQ

Bonus vid running out Ponting because loving off smug wanker Ponting is always a good time.
https://youtu.be/xHzL-TIF_Bc

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Doesn’t help that global travel has encountered some difficulties this year.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Residency Evil posted:

Isn't the answer always money?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Retired press/demo fleet, manufacturer deal, or yeah just buy one.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Funnily enough, in one of his recent videos a James said he actually thought Gordon’s fish pie was better and he now makes his more like that.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
That’s what normal 60yo people who smoke and don’t take care of themselves well look like, as opposed to Hollywood 60. Of course Clarkson looks rougher than Clooney, he also started out much rougher too.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
If you ever watched “An Idiot Abroad”, I’d love to watch “Clarkson’s Farm Grand Tour” - Jeremy drags Kaleb out of the village to visit farms around the world. Giant European or US megafarms, Vietnamese rice paddies, driving cattle across the outback, Peruvian guinea pig farms whatever. Throw in Gerald turning up to help out, and have Jeremy watch in disbelief as he easily communicates with Kalahari bushmen or nomadic Mongolians on horseback.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Never understand why people who hate the guy so much waste their time watching his show. Or if you haven’t watched it, why you think your opinion is needed.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Murgos posted:

Well, yes. Always has been see all the numerous devastating famines throughout history. The way that’s mitigated is with trade and being able to source stuff internationally when there are issues.

So, uh, Clarkson’s Farm is also back door anti-brexit?

He’s anti-brexit given his job heavily relied on being able to freely work across the continent.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I might be losing it after a few months of lockdown, but throwing basic french at each other driving through the woods somehow got increasingly hilarious for me. Merde! Bonjour! Allez!

Enjoyed the captions gag during the race too. Nice to see Richard Porter show up too, and the French intern was hilarious.

Side note: Abbie Eaton currently has a broken back. She's going to be fine, but gently caress sausage kerbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SWmInErmKg

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I saw a post somewhere saying there were large NATO exercises going on about the time they would have been filming?

Edit:

Data Graham posted:

I do enjoy watching with an eye toward all the bonkers shots they have to get and how deceptively hard they are.

Like when they're towing the felled trees back to the lake, there's a like 2-second shot of the cars driving by from like 1/4 mile deep into the forest. Some schmuck had to hike with his camera gear into the woods and get all set up and shoot and probably do a couple of takes and then hike back just for those 2 seconds. That whole sequence must have taken multiple days.

And that's why making "real" TV costs so much fuckin money.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yeah but the local Lions club doesn't have 7 and a half million twitter followers. The Cotswolds also really don't need his help with tourism, they just prefer when 7 and a half million twitter followers don't show up and sit on the road waiting to park in the 8 parking spots he has on his lot.

But to use parking as an example, it's not unheard of for these things to go:

"You can't do this, you don't have enough parking, traffic is backing up on the roads."

"OK, can I build more parking then?"

"No."

I also find it funny portraying Clarkson as the fancy rich guy swinging his dick around the quaint local village for local people, when from what I know of the Cotswolds, the place is full of people with vastly more wealth and influence.

wolrah posted:

I think judging the merits of either side's case would require knowing exactly what's been filed and what the responses are. Is this public? Is the entirety of the law itself even public? I've learned not to assume that's the case even for other states so I have no idea how the Brits handle things.

It's not like it's unreasonable to imagine that Jeremy Clarkson is being a stubborn poo poo and pushing ahead with something he knows isn't allowed because he wants to and thinks he can get away with it.

It's also not unreasonable to imagine that the local planning commission is full of NIMBYs who don't want anything to change that inconveniences them.

It's also not unreasonable to imagine that the rules being applied are simply badly designed and the commission is applying them to the best of their ability.

The most likely answer is that some combination of all three elements are in play here, and I would place my bets leaning heavy on the first two but what the balance is between those I think we need more information to really be able to judge.

This is the right thing. Throw in all those things, plus probably a "Oh it's Jeremy doing it? gently caress that guy specifically" factor.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

NinjaTech posted:

It was funny to watch an episode on Thailand while in my Bangkok hotel. I've also been lusting after D-Max's the whole time I've been here. It's just too bad I have to wait 20 years to import one back to the US.

The 2011 - 2019 D-Max is the same truck as the US Colorado, just ship the tray and front sheet metal home!

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Cab is the same, far as I can tell you'd need the tray (tailights are different shape), tailgate, front fenders, headlights, hood, grille, bumper, and maybe some of the front end supports. US frame has some changes according to wiki but probably nothing you can't over come. I dunno if I'd bother with the engine given you can get one with a federalised diesel engine anyway. Think of it like the Pontiac GTO/G8/Chevy SS guys who bring over the Holden bits.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
That's what I expected from an athlete though, and despite the genteel image of sinking beers and tea breaks, cricketers are real athletes and Flintoff was one of the best all-rounders (batsman/bowler/fielder) in the game, with a 90mph fast ball. You don't get to captain England without being pretty drat good!

Flintoff vs Ponting in 2005 is the stuff of dreams. Ponting (then Australian captain) later described it as the best over he ever faced.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4lWyOk6wj0

In 2008 he repeated that over almost identically vs Kallis of South Africa in a masterclass of luring a batsman in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEuMtjL4dN0

:boonie:

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

builds character posted:

Can you explain what's going on in these that makes it so good to someone who doesn't watch cricket but has a vague understanding of the rules?

Basically he lured the batsman in to his own demise. His first balls were fast and swung in - that is, from the bowlers point of view, the ball hit the wicket and bounced to the right, towards the batsman and the wicket. Closer each time. However on the final ball, he swung it out, in the other direction, away from the batsman, but the batsman was expecting more of the same, so he swung at it, caught the ball on the edge of his bat, off to the catch, that's his day done.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Colostomy Bag posted:

It's the mileage, not the years for him.

It's also closer to what most 62yos look like as opposed to what "TV 62yo" usually looks like.

frogbs posted:

Does he just like stirring poo poo up?

Not all the time, because he does have plenty of poo poo opinions, but yeah, a lot of the time it's this. It can be easy to read his pieces and completely miss subtext and satire. And remember that while he's had plenty of real scandals, plenty of "Clarkson Scandals" are just poo poo whipped up by opposing tabloid outlets who both genuinely loathe him and also stand to profit from it.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Well then:
https://deadline.com/2023/02/clarksons-farm-viewing-record-amazon-meghan-markle-scandal-1235268525/

quote:

Clarkson’s Farm has become Amazon Prime Video’s most-watched original show in the UK since the country’s ratings body started collecting data for major streaming services.

The Season 2 premiere of Jeremy Clarkson’s farming show was watched by nearly 4.3M viewers on TV sets, according to Barb, the official audience research group.

This was comfortably Amazon’s highest-rated show since Barb began reporting viewing figures for streamers in November 2021, per a Deadline analysis. It beat The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power, which launched last September with 3.2M viewers.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-65056723

quote:

The BBC says it has halted the latest series of Top Gear after presenter Andrew "Freddie" Flintoff was hurt in an accident while filming.
The presenter was injured in December at Top Gear's test track at Dunsfold Park Aerodrome in Surrey.
The BBC said: "Under the circumstances, we feel it would be inappropriate to resume making series 34."
The broadcaster said a decision on how best to continue would be made later this year.
Following the accident on 13 December, the former England cricketer received medical care at the scene before being taken to hospital for further treatment.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
That Le Mans Skoda was very cool.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2023/09/11/freddie-flintoff-top-gear-crash-bbc-crisis/

quote:

It was a cheering sight both for fans of cricket and Top Gear: Andrew “Freddie” Flintoff pictured at England’s one-day international series against New Zealand. In his first public appearance since he was injured in a driving stunt for the BBC motoring show nine months ago, Flintoff was seen with the England team at Cardiff’s Sophia Gardens. On Friday, he led drills with the players before watching the match from the balcony, and on Sunday was with the team in Southampton. Wearing an England training kit and bucket hat, he joked around with the team and smiled for photographers.

But while Flintoff’s familiar grin was in evidence, his emergence in public also revealed the shocking extent of his injuries. Few details of the former England star’s condition have been released since the crash at Top Gear’s Dunsfold Park Aerodrome test track in Surrey last December, when the three-wheel Morgan Super 3 he was driving flipped over at speed. He was airlifted to hospital. Fans were told that he had suffered broken ribs and facial injuries but Flintoff remained out of the public eye, save for a snatched paparazzi photograph of him in the passenger seat of a car, a scarf pulled up to cover his face.

Nine months on from the crash, Flintoff’s face bears a scar stretching from the bridge of his nose to his chin, suggesting multiple reconstructive operations and skin grafts. The right side of his face appears to show signs of nerve damage. On Friday, his nose was still covered with gauze and the grazes were fresh. The sight of Flintoff’s injuries at the crash scene were reportedly so traumatising that several members of the Top Gear crew were signed off with post-traumatic stress disorder.

Many of Flintoff’s friends were shocked by the pictures, having not seen the star since the crash.

“Freddie has been off the radar and clearly concentrating on healing as best he can,” said one. And while they are relieved to see that he is recovering, the sight of Flintoff has caused consternation elsewhere. At the BBC, the pictures could spell the end of Top Gear as we know it.

Story continues to discuss the future, but drat, poor Freddie :(

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
https://www.drive.com.au/news/top-gear-australia-tv-show-revival-2024/

quote:

The Australian divisions of television giants BBC Studios and Paramount have confirmed Top Gear Australia will return in 2024, more than a decade after the local version of the world-famous British TV show was axed.

After reports of a Top Gear Australia revival circulated last week, BBC Studios Australia and New Zealand – the British broadcaster’s local division – and streaming service Paramount+ today announced the rebooted series will feature three new hosts when it airs next year.

Headlining the host line-up is Blair Joscelyne, better known as ‘Moog’ from the Australian automotive YouTube channel Mighty Car Mods.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Meghan whining might have been a problem at the BBC, but no one else cares. Even to hardcore royalists, she's not a real royal anyway, because she's a commoner, an American commoner at that, and uhhhh probably other less polite reasons....

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Budgie posted:

I really liked the comically long shot of the comically long train.

That was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

SlowBloke posted:

Wasn't season three of Clarkson farm going to be the last one commissioned? I remember Amazon cutting the contract after some chad-adjacent statement from Jezza a bit back.

No, in fact there's even a fourth season coming. It's very popular.

The last 'controversy' was something he said about Meghan Markle and the only people who give a poo poo about that are hardcore royal family followers, and half of them probably agree with him.