Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
The video of the flames is astounding. Whomever put the camera there was a flipping genius.

No, I won't say what flames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

SIPARC needs to be reserved for people with no experience but really excited, or car people who are really excited. People who are just there for screen time need to be skipped.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

The guy is a lucky as hell talentless bastard who paid to move his family to a better place and is trying to start a business where he came from to improve the community.

Whatever he is, he's doing good with his money.

Can we stop talking about whatshisface and move onto CARS? :-)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

InitialDave posted:

You know, like Noble.

Without yaknow, the engineering prowess, or any desire to do anything but make a pretty car.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

So... that Fisker, is real. As in, you can buy it. TODAY. There's one at my local Volvo dealer. f

Ak Gara posted:

Ferrari have forgotten what made the F40 great. When you drove an F40, it was YOU doing it, not you suggesting to a computer that you'd maybe like to change gear now if that's okay with the committee.

It's one of the reasons I want to own a TVR Chimaera/Griffith. 1 ton car + 5 litre engine with zero traction control, no ABS, and the airbag is whatever bag of popcorn you was eating at the time.

Real human driven cars are soon to be extinct. ... It saddens me.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

You break your thumbs in severe crashes. Your arms travel forward, and your thumbs get yanked in some very difficult directions. It's not just an open wheel thing, it's an all racing thing.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Sonofa b. He's ~good~. I'd watch this straight up. I thought his manlab stuff was .. less him, and more script. Turns out, he's just a great presenter.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

ApathyGifted posted:

Kansas is flat, but tilted. It's one long slope leading up to the Rockies.

That's what I have to keep telling people when people talk about kansas being flat...

Now I want to roll a bowling ball from west to east...

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

captainOrbital posted:

I liked the new track format, with the rallycross-style jumps and mud driving. I thought it was interesting.
The thing is slow, and by having a wildly inconsistent track surface, you can't say "you're the fastest 'round our track".

SIRPC is typically a fun interview, with embarrassment or excitement about the lap. They could talk about the line, and driving technique. The conversations were deeply awkward, and entirely driven by scripted Chris Evans questions.

I used to enjoy it. It was cringe-worthy throughout.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

captainOrbital posted:

Tell that to the dudes with (W) next to their names.

That's something that can be measured. Imagine the notation for conditions of the rallycross course. "Seven laps, so the jumps were lower" "No rain for 4 days, puddle was shallow" "first run of the day, so puddle edges are firm" "First run after track cleaning, good traction on paved sections"

Versus "wet" or "Very wet"

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Oh, a Zodiac.

Zodiac is a brand, they make both inflatable, and RIBs. RIB's are like "a normal boat, with a big inner tube around the top". There are pure inflatables, which is what you think of as a zodiac too.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Budgie posted:

Plus aren't the restrictions on the cars in NASCAR equally as stupidly strict as in F1? So that they have to worry about all the things like "managing tire traction and the position and rotation of the whole car"

Even more than F1. Nascar is still running iron blocks, and carbs. They also are running full steel chassis. and live axles. Nascar is typically driven on "that far edge" of traction. While F1 varies from "lightly loaded to braking, to cornering to accelerating, to lightly loaded" wash rinse repeat. Nascar sits on the edge of it's traction circle for large fractions of the time. F1 cars can't tolerate the sort of sliding that Nascar does. Yaw angle really effs up the day for a F1 car. As does chassis angle.

The fact anyone can get a F1 car, quickly, around a track, is just stunning to me. Half the things they do to make them go fast, put them in a position where "getting anything wrong" puts you on the wrong side of the traction slope, and it's all over with.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

wallaka posted:

Hey, now. They switched to EFI a couple years back.

I'm ~shocked~. Ever since car of tomorrow though, they are essentially a spec racer. And i'm not saying that's a bad thing.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

It would be very slow. They can't do poo poo but turn left due to chassis design, and the direct drive kind of hurts too.

Obviously, they'd need to do a symmetrical setup on them.

Cojawfee posted:

Like iwentdoodie said, they can't do that. All the wheels are different sizes and are set up for turning left and your options for speed are in gear or out of gear.

1375lbs. 950hp. Who needs gears? And it's 410ci, so even when it "doesn't have torque" it does. These are cars that can wheelie at 90mph, on clay.

It really wouldn't be that different from NASCAR when they go and do a roadcourse. It would be a dedicated "roadcourse" chassis.

....... This would never fly. This is sounding a lot like Group-B

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Chris patched up his ferrari relationship like two years ago. I suspect that had to do with him buying one...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

GutBomb posted:

Also I don't know if it's the same for the cars mentioned but a lot of time twin turbos are used to minimize the lag. A small one for the low rpm range and a big one for the higher rpm range smoothing out the power delivery.

I don't think any production car has sequential turbocharging right now. Using small turbos to minimize lag is a thing, but they're working in parallel, instead of sequential. Or staged. (There was, or may still be, a production over the road truck engine that was staged...)