Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Smoking the Porsche pipes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHr36rbWnKA

Best "scripted moment that got away from them" ever.

It's too bad that the Netflix version has "The News" cut out from most of the series (I think everything up to about series 11), since there were a ton of great moments like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Bumming Your Scene posted:

It was bizarre Clarkson asking what crystal meth was, they don't have amphetamines there?

From what I can find, methamphetamine exists in the UK, but it's nowhere near as popular as in the US or places like the Czech Republic. Meth hasn't really caught on in the UK (estimates put meth users at about 17,000 versus almost 50,000 for cocaine), and as of now it's largely confined to small, heavy partying, subset of the gay community, although use will probably increase if the cost of the drug comes down.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

skooma512 posted:

Binging TG on Netflix before they take away most of it.

As of a couple of days ago, Netflix seems to have renewed the contracts for a lot of the expiring BBC content, including Top Gear.

I recently discovered that Top Gear is also available to stream on Amazon Prime, but it's the same "American edited" version that Netflix runs.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
It looks like we're losing most of the legal methods to stream older episodes of Top Gear in the US in two weeks.

Effective Feb 1, Netflix is dropping all but the three most recent seasons of Top Gear from streaming (it goes from 149 episodes available down to 26) and Amazon announced yesterday that they're dropping all of their BBC content (except Orphan Black) effective Feb 15, since they're pissed that Netflix also has a license to stream BBC shows.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 1, 2015

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

meatpimp posted:

This was exactly what I thought reading that story. Netflix better throw the money truck at Clarkson and secure him... I wonder if there are non-compete clauses in their current contracts that would affect future work?

I can't imagine there aren't some kind of non-compete clauses in the contracts, but I wonder if Netflix might be a bit of a loophole since it isn't a broadcast or cable network.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

PenguinScotty posted:

Music aspect is going to be interesting, considering how many tracks they (Netflix) changed already for the older episodes they've put up. Biggest one, for me, was Born in the USA in the Vietnam special. They changed it to something completely different and the episode definitely lost some flair because of it.

I think the music changes are actually made by the BBC for overseas distribution, not Netflix. When Top Gear airs on BBC America, it has the same changed music (and occasionally shortened episodes) that showed up on Netflix and Amazon (before they dropped all their BBC content).

I'm guessing the changes are probably for all overseas distribution, since Netflix in Canada has the same changes made to episodes that show up on Netflix in the US.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

bolind posted:

Hasn't it been proved that the plate had been on the Porsche for years and years? drat, Argentina makes it kinda hard to not think it's a country full of ignorant assholes.

Yep. When the incident originally happened, someone found a mix of DMV records and an old photo proving that plate had been on the car for several years prior to Top Gear buying it.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

bull3964 posted:

I honestly wonder if BBC-A will even pay to license the re-launched show since it's bound to take a massive MASSIVE ratings nosedive the instant people figure out the three aren't coming back.

I wouldn't be surprised if BBC-A got a pretty steep license discount on New Top Gear, since they got screwed out of the last couple episodes of the last series, and BBC might be somewhat desperate to hold on to the audience, especially if Clarkson, Hammond, May and Wilman decide to launch a competing show on a platform like Netflix.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

sbaldrick posted:

At any point did this get a few reshoots, it kind of feels like it did.

Also the BBC really doesn't seem like they wanted to air this at all but kind of got forced into it just based on the ending.

I get the impression that the BBC felt like they had to do something with the unused footage, since their international affiliates were pretty pissed about having one of their most popular programs yanked off the air partway through a season, after they'd already sold advertising space for those episodes and had probably paid the BBC a decent amount of money to broadcast Top Gear.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

pik_d posted:

Yeah, then in one of the final few episodes they said they were really really close to making it actually happen. Then Jeremy went and got himself out of a job.

I'd gotten the impression that Top Gear was able to get away with a lot of things (being loaned supercars to do stupid things with on a very regular basis) because carmakers knew the show had a massive audience, and it had probably been airing long enough that some of the PR people at various manufacturers likely saw Top Gear as a kind of "known quantity" for advertising.

With basically the entire Top Gear creative team jumping ship to Amazon, the fact that Ferrari, McLaren and Porsche all felt comfortable enough to allow their cars to appear on a brand new show (although there's a chance they were borrowed from private owners who didn't care what the carmakers said) might be a bad sign for the BBC, since it could signal that carmakers feel more comfortable (and think there's going to be a bigger audience) with the Amazon show than a rebooted Top Gear.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Humphreys posted:

I read that Netflix want to eventually have a 50/50 split of original content/licensed material. The costs of producing new shows might be causing them to stop agreements on existing material from 3rd parties. I think they are at 14/76% now.

The loss of Top Gear (and a lot of other BBC content) was down to Netflix throwing a hissy-fit last year. When Amazon started their streaming service, it's my understanding that Netflix demanded exclusive rights streaming rights to BBC content in the US, and let the licenses expire on the older shows when the BBC refused those terms.

Plus, the old Top Gear episodes were kind of hard to watch on Netflix, since they had the 'Murican-ized music, and the random cuts to cram the show into a 60 minute slot with commercials.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Episode 3 was way better than the first two, since it's basically "expensive cars go on road trip, hilarity ensues", and annoyed James May will never not be entertaining.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Budgie posted:

The Oregon Trail but with budget cars and childish hijinks. I'd pay for this.

"You have died of flaming car"

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

sincx posted:

Does anyone know why they're abandoning the studio format? Too much work and hassle over just airing clips?

Or is the next season of specials going to be their final swan song?

Amazon has said they want to keep TGT going for several more seasons, albeit in the shorter "all special" format they're changing to.

My guess is that Amazon has enough data to find that the "studio segment, drive car around track, film" format was getting played out (since they know exactly what episodes and parts of episodes people actually watch), so they probably decided that the budget would be better spent on doing fewer episodes per year, but in format that got more viewers (especially people who aren't car enthusiasts) and drew more attention to the show.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
They're keeping the Mustang, but that's it for cars.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Possibly dumb question, but is there now no legal way to stream Top Gear in the US?

I know motortrend+ used to have it, but they seem to have dropped it at the start of June, and I'm not finding anything else but BBC America that has it stateside.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I think Amazon only had one more season of Grand Tour contracted anyway, and with the general downturn in tech stocks and streaming services cutting content, I think it's pretty likely they wouldn't have ordered more of the show, even without Clarkson doing something dumb.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

ExParrot posted:

Word on the street is that the BBC have just axed Top Gear completely

The BBC has responded to those reports by saying they haven't made a decision yet, but they didn't say anything indicating it was going to resume production any time soon (or at all).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I'm gonna assume that any discussions Amazon was having about extending Clarkson, Hammond and May's TGT run came to a pretty abrupt end after Clarkson wrote that column about Meghan Markle last December.