Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

neckbeard posted:

?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Top Gear proves that all you need in life is friends.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Jonny Quest posted:

Hate to say it, but I think I've watched better episodes of Top Gear US than this India episode.

It certainly wasn't their strongest special. Most of the material felt recycled. It's certainly not as bad as what Top Gear US would have done.

They even acknowledge this a bit when Clarkson tells Richard that he'd gotten him a gift. Richard instantly says "Oh, let me guess. It's something impractical, a bit ridiculous and slightly too big to fit in the boot of a Mini"? Mind you this exchange happens in what is almost a carbon copy of a dinner scene from the Vietnam special.

Aurune fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 29, 2011

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

So, Mexico next year?

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

So Clarkson did not buy his 17 year old daughter a Volvo 940 estate.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/jeremy-clarkson/jeremy-clarkson-ford-fiesta-2012-01-06

Man I don't know if I can take Top Gear's consumer advice seriously anymore...

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Ola posted:

It was weird how an entire service sector was dedicated to shipping lunch. If you want to make some money, start selling tupperware and microwaves in India.

I don't know. Having a piping hot fresh curry delivered from home sounds way better than one reheated in a microwave.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

So much for American cars.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Ak Gara posted:

I would love it if they reviewed/showed off the 251mph UR Lamborghini. The Veyron needs 5 miles to hit 250 mph, this car does 240mph in a standing mile.

I love the helmets. Like that'll help you at that speed.

As for the Top Gear races. From Clarkson's twitter feed, he insists they aren't fixed. He actually seems genuinely annoyed at people saying they are. Even if they aren't, it really is a case of boy who cried wolf here.

On the bright side, looks like there's a way to piss off Clarkson after he disses your race, country, creek, or other identifying factor.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Clarkson posted:

Each Top Gear item takes 2 weeks to prepare, 5 days or so to film and 2 weeks to edit. So far we've done 2. We need another 22. Do the maths
http://twitter.com/jcrclarksonesq/status/250485592205443074

I have done the math, but I think he hasn't. Five days plus two weeks isn't two weeks.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Sockington posted:

Let's swap Edd from Wheelers with Hamster from TopGear. TopGear challenges would be hilariously one-sided adventures of James and Jeremy trying to ruin Edd's poo poo (because it's good) rather than loving with Hammond because he's Hammond.

Or put Mike on Top Gear. I'd give him about half a episode before the boys decide the Vampire Jet Car bit needs another go.

"It'll be great" Clarkson says, as James just out of shot starts letting the air out of one of the tires.

Edit: You know, I don't really mind the older more sketch episodes of Wheeler Dealers where they actually did work on the car. The past season has really just been pimp my ride cheap rear end edition.

Aurune fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 30, 2012

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

nmfree posted:

This time it wasn't even that they used a Top Gear UK challenge, they blatantly ripped off the three vehicles from the original as well.

Top Gear US: Unambitious and Rubbish

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Sadi posted:

I was looking at its average MPG on track during the episode. Based on what I read If you had 20 min run groups you could burn through drat near a full tank every 2 to 3 runs. (I may have been drinking when reading that and running the numbers so take that with a large grain of salt)

That's not horribly uncommon. My Cayman gets a bit less than 9 mpg on the track, and I'm not pushing it as hard as it can go yet. With a 14 gallon tank, I'm down well below half a tank after 3. So, I assume I'd get 4 and a bit.

My friend's 430 runs dry about as quick, only he's putting 25 gallons in.

Along the those lines, the Cayman is definitely geared to cruise at 55. Driving to the track I did Top Gear "55" miles per hour and got about 24 mpg. On the way home I was being followed by a kid with permit who by no means could get caught doing "55" so I took it much slower and squeaked out the EPA estimated 27 mpg!

I liked this week's US Top Gear. It was something I hadn't seen yet, unlike last week. It was fun. The bit at the end was a waste. Get a road long enough to max it, or get off the pot.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

wolrah posted:

... obviously Motorweek has mastered the dry, factual review over the last few decades).

And the art of speaking like a TV used car lot voiceover all the time. Even when it's not appropriate.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Jeff Goldblum also briefly drove a automatic Liana. However according to Clarkson it broke and he was forced to use a manual. Which he gladly accepted when he heard it was faster. However, he somehow got it into his head that stig told him never to take it out of third. Which is of course why you can hear the car bouncing off the limiter for most of the lap.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

meatpimp posted:

I know American Top Gear doesn't count, but holy lack of continuity in last night's cold weather / winter beater episode.

Half of the time Tanner was in a NA 300ZX and the other half he was in a Twin Turbo 300ZX. I guess they thought that :shrug: they're both yellow, right?

You know, I didn't notice. This was likely because I was busy looking at crap online after I sort of gave up with the show after they unburied the cars. Can they just put this show down already?

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Qwijib0 posted:

Other speculation is that it's Sabine Schmitz (daily mail, but this is speculation anyway)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1349967/Is-BBC-Top-Gears-new-Stig-German-racing-driver-Sabine-Schmitz.html

You may remember her from the Transit-goes-round-the-Nurburgring-in-just-over-10-minutes film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KiC03_wVjc

That's crap. Stig doesn't have breasts. Also, a lady driver wondering around the set would be too conspicuous. On top of that, new Stig opened his mouth in front of a camera. He's British and male.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

OptimusMatrix posted:

Clarkson hit the nail on the head about how Porsche works. But that Singer is so loving beautiful. And I could not wipe the poo poo eating grin off my face with the Lamborghini segment. I felt like I was 10 again putting up my Countach poster in my bedroom.

I'm shocked anyone thought that it was a secret.

About the new 991 911.
[quote="Porsche"]
From every angle it is unmistakably a 911, holding true to the Porsche 911 Carrera evolution, not revolution’ design philosophy.
http://www.porsche.com/latin-america-en/aboutporsche/pressreleases/?lang=none&pool=usa&id=2011-09-06
[/quote

The SUV segment was fantastic. I was kind of hoping the producers would disqualify Clarkson and add the comedy of him sleep in on a board.

Edit: I've been trying to come up with what the joke in the stat board was. I think It's CC'S rear end or Caravan Club'S rear end.

Aurune fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 29, 2013

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

You this is what happens when you startle the stig. He feels the need to mark his territory.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Most mid-engined race cars seem to have a rear-weight bias because (???), a front differential and axles is not something you want to carry around a circuit for 12/24 hours.

I think some of that is for balance. In a corner the front wheels are typically do more work than the rears. If it was symmetrical, I bet it'd produce a little bit of push / understeer.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Daric posted:

The zip code thing is just so they can get a feel for where most of their customers are coming from. It's not a serious issue like y'all are making it out to be and you can just put fake numbers in there.

As already mentioned this is for validation that you are not using a stolen card. It can be for customer tracking, but not always. Gas stations are actually high on the fraud list. As it was once explained to me by someone who worked for a credit card company. Stolen cards typically have a use pattern. The first use of a stolen card is often a distance from where the card was lost. It's typically used to make a small purchase at a automated sales point, like gas pumps. The reason for this is simple. You want to see if the card has been reported stolen and deactivated. If you are standing at a Best Buy with a $2000 TV in front of a sales clerk, questions will get asked. If the pump says no, get in the car and drive off. If it says yes, try for the TV.

Interestingly enough, the gas station right next to my house never asks for my zip. It's like they know me or something. How neighborly.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Tricky Ed posted:

By the way, I've decided that the best UK/us crossover would be 3 host teams (Adam/Jeremy, Tanner/Richard, Rutledge/James) competing against a Stig/Stig team in a series of challenges.

Why does Tanner get to be teamed up with another American?

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

jediguy posted:

They've got reason to be smug, the 918 is a weapon on the track. Pretty sure it's beaten the P1 the few times they've lapped head to head. That AWD hybrid system is no joke.

Likely Porsche doesn't care because they think they have the best all around car. They've been marketing the car that way since the hybrid super car battle broke out.

That being said...

I know someone who's driven both a 918 and P1 on track. He said the 918 drives better, feels faster. That being said he wasn't timing himself so he has no proof. I can understand McLaren wanting to use customer cars as it means Ferrari will say no. Ferrari want's it's usual car setup / tuning perks.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Seik posted:

Guy Martin is an awesome, unique individual and all of his shows on Channel 4 were pretty great. Totally up for seeing more of him.

They may need to close caption him for US audiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

RillAkBea posted:

I'll just take this as another step in getting back to Top Gear normality. The BBC have realized they need Top Gear, tried to find new hosts, realized it wouldn't be the same and have tried to tempt the other two back. Just a few more months and they'll finally give in and begrudgingly offer Clarkson a new contract. With the continued success of the live show they'd be daft to keep being so stubborn over the matter.

The rotating host worked for Have I Got News For You because the host wasn't the heart of that show and it's primarily a guest based show to begin with.

I'm concerned about the possibility of Jeremy getting back on Top Gear. At this point, I'm afraid the sheer size of the poo poo eating grin this will cause may rip a hole in space and time itself.