Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I can't get over how good all three of those cars sounded. Great episode, but I didn't even try to watch the SIARPC. Will.I.Am? Really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Okan170 posted:

... Michael Gambon giving the best interview ever.

Thank you for agreeing with me on this. "It made my eyes water." Jesus Christ...

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Data Graham posted:

The rally thing was genuinely informative, too. I hadn't had any knowledge of the course callout language until just now.

I really liked that segment too, but I was always under the impression that the numbers were opposite of what they had explained. Ex: 1 is drat-near a hairpin, whereas a 6 is a super-gentle full-throttle turn. I guess it varies from driver to driver.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Cat Terrist posted:

It actually more varies country to country. While there is no fixed notes system, you tend to find Australia and NZ goes with 1-10 (this is what I use), England uses 1 to 6, Europe uses 6 - 1 and then there's the gears system, 1 to 4, or descriptive (ie, no numbers, only easy, tight, stop, hairpin, medium, flat, absolute etc)

The symbols tend to be more common across whatever systems, so that > is usually widens, < narrows, ^ crest etc. ! is ALWAYS a caution, this is across all systems as it is a route chart notation. Parachute is always a cliff on the side of the road. The Mineshaft in Canberra has it's own unique call that is common across all systems - !!!Parachute.

Look up on Youtube for Mineshaft and VR4 to find out why it has that unique notation.

I love everything about the Mineshaft. Thanks for the info :)

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

You Am I posted:

You lot need to learn proper English :colbert:

When I heard they were going to be driving NZ, I was excited.

When I saw them doing the North Island, I was sad. Seriously, the roads on the South Island are amazing. Like Swiss/Austrian Alps amazing. Of course Jeremy going nuts on one of those roads with his Toyota as he did on the North roads, it would've ended up with a funeral.

Otherwise it was a relatively dull TG episode. The Fiesta ST has my interest though. I read Jeremy's review of it in a newspaper and it sounded great.

The Fiesta ST is great. I got a chance to beat on one this past weekend (along with the Focus ST) and had an absolute blast with it. We had 4 of the (supposed) 12 Fiesta STs in the country. It won't win you any drag races, but it'll lift a tire in the corners and put a big smile on your face. Don't forget that the US version is getting 2 more doors and 20 more horsepower.

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 2, 2013

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Grumpwagon posted:

I'm very interested in hearing more about this. I might be in the market for a car in the somewhat near future, and both STs are really intriguing to me. Have a favorite (or any other impressions)?

We had a small course set up in a parking lot. My first 2 laps were in the Focus and the second 2 were in the Fiesta. I ran a tenth faster in the Focus, but it would have probably been more significant if I had a couple more laps to get a little more familiar with the car. The Focus seemed to have been putting up regularly faster times, but never by much of a margin. Overall, they drive really similarly. Yes, the Fiesta is down on power compared to the Focus, but it's also about 500 pounds lighter (allegedly).

I've always said that I would never own a FWD car because I've driven some and I don't like the way they behave (torque-steer, crazy understeer, weight shifting off the drive wheels on acceleration, etc), but I might change my mind if I found one that really impressed me. Long story short, I want a Focus. When I buried the throttle in second, no torque steer. Hard turn-in, no understeer. The Fiesta behaved pretty similarly, but I'd have to say I prefer the Focus for the extra grunt. Also, the Fiesta was a bit on the small side for me (6'1") and the seats were just a hair on the narrow side, but the Focus was roomy enough to be comfortable.

So again, I never thought I'd really say this about a FWD car, but I want to own a Focus ST.

Edit: Also, I wish the Molten Orange paint on the Fiesta was available for the Focus, but it's not.

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 2, 2013

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Fucknag posted:

There's no real reason for FWD cars to understeer that's inherent to the drivetrain. It's just that in the modern era at least, all the boring floaty commuter cars that are built to a price point are FWD, whereas the sports cars are almost exclusively RWD or longitudinal AWD. Of course the sports cars are going to be setup for (generally) neutral handling, so we get the impression that all RWD cars handle well; my mom's Lexus refutes this quite handily. Having the entire drivetrain up front contributes, of course, but as with most performance things it all comes down to the springy bits in the end.

Then I will state here that Ford has its springy bits figured-the-gently caress-out.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

nutnmunch posted:

Out of curiosity, how did the acceleration feel? I keep thinking about one, but I don't want to go for a test drive and slam on the gas like an idiot considering I won't be buying the test drive car, likely.

I'd be moving from a 370z, so I'm expecting to lose some excitement -- but I'd like to at least feel like I'm going fast when I press the fun pedal.

Acceleration (a bit moreso with the Focus) is absolutely present. I was very pleasantly surprised at how well it put me back in the seat.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Tsuru posted:

Fairly solid special so far, but I do have some beef:

I was mildly annoyed by their antics in the narrow street. It just seemed unnecessary and over the top.
Scratching up people's cars, knocking over their merchandise and fondling their powerlines. I was expecting them (JC in particular) to be dragged from their cabs and beaten up at any second (or at the very least get zapped by the powerlines). Then again I suppose a lot of abuse is permitted when you are trailed by a large crew with endless stacks of cash in a largely Buddhist country.

And then the petulant teenager dumped a ton of bricks on the only road through the hills. Nice work.
Maybe a lovely Vespa suits JC better for traveling through this part of the world.

Jeremy feels really bad about making you so upset.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

InitialDave posted:

I really hope a CB radio singalong of "I Like Trucking" turns up at some point.

"We got a great big convoy, rockin' through the night..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

sean10mm posted:

It would almost be worth it just for the ensuing cluster-gently caress. If they kept May and Hammond somehow, who do you replace Clarkson with that would cause the biggest :psyboom:?

Piers Morgan.