Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Bunk Rogers posted:

Most boring WTF perhaps ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

temple posted:

Something about Marc really grates on me but he's the best when talking to someone like Craig Ferguson or Anthony Bordain because of their shared drug experiences. I was disappointed by Chris Elliot and Paula Poundstone, two of my first and favorite comedians. He goes into shop talk about the specific industry stuff that becomes name dropping for 20 minutes about stuff only they can relate to.

Mindy Kaling was the most boring WTF. I have tried to listen to it so many times.

I liked the Chris Elliot one. But I guess I may have been blinded by the nostalgia from remembering Get A Life.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Jippa posted:

I didn't realise people like Tony Clifton still existed.

You do realize he's a character right? If not that's awesome.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

inferis posted:

I can understand not liking Maron, but it seems strange to me to enjoy the show if you don't like him.

You should check out the Carolla thread

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I'm actually slightly bummed that Marc's cat is missing. I probably listen to too many podcasts.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Juttman posted:

Tim Heidecker is gonna be on Monday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9okyR1wx7nc

I'm really excited for this, been wanting this one for a while!

I wasn't sure he was physically capable of doing any interview out of character.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

What do they talk about? Is there anything about Nirvana or does it mostly focus on his post-Nirvana career?

My problem with the music interviews is that Marc usually turns into a fanboy and steers the conversation towards what guitarists his guest likes to use.

The Elizabeth Banks episode was great, but there was a hilarious moment that stands out. After Marc asks why Elizabeth "chose" to conceive via a surrogate, she corrects him and a minute later mentions the idiots who ask her that question. I thought Marc would try to make a joke about it but he's so intimidated by her that he lets it fly.

They go on for a while about Sound City it's magic soundboard or whatever since Dave's made a movie about it recently. It's all pretty interesting though, I think. Then they mostly just talk about Dave's musical influences I guess.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Carl Reiner later in the week too. I think he missed the opportunity to have them both on at the same time. That episode of Comedians in Cars etc. was great.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Bunk Rogers posted:

Carl Reiner, even at 80%, is worth a interview all to himself. He and Brooks are great together but it quickly becomes to Mel Brooks show. I'm looking forward to a solo Carl.

Yeah you're right. And I don't think that the Brooks interview could have gone any better anyway.

"Yeah... he's about 80 percent."

edit: that Sid Caesar stuff was kinda sad/sweet to hear.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 4, 2013

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Bunk Rogers posted:

Aside from all the phone calls Carl was great. I can't imagine anything cooler than sitting with Mel and Carl, eating ice cream and watching Justified.

Most exciting part of the interview was Maron announcing that he will be interviewing Dick Van Dyke.

I kinda liked the phonecalls. At one point I thought it was part of an elaborate bit.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
"MAYBE 85."

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
But you didn't get to hear the secret of the chicken feathers.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Old Janx Spirit posted:

I really liked this week's show with Eddie Pepitone. It was exactly the kind of show that made me love WTF when I first started listening: an in depth discussion of what it means to be a comedian. And I can't wait to hear the live show he mentioned, where Margaret Cho talks about sleeping with Marc.

Anyone here listen to Girl on Guy, Aisha Tyler's podcast? Very similar to WTF in content, if not totally in style. The shows I've listened to so far (Jay Mohr, W. Kamau Bell and Dave Attell) have been good. It made wonder, however, how many comedians are doing interview podcasts, and if one day they will all have interviewed each other.

I like Girl on Guy, but I've only listened to Mohr and Attell. Kinda in line with what your are saying, I just didn't want to pick up another comedy podcast. I feel like I know too much about these weirdos already.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
And it seems like the cause of those divorces was Marc screaming at them or something and not infidelity, but I could be wrong there.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Old Janx Spirit posted:

Anyone have any idea what specifically Marc was apologizing for on the Gina Gershon episode? He did something to piss off the director of the documentary about Eddie Pepitone, but I haven't re-listened to the episode to try and figure out what.

I'm assuming it was the fact that he sort of excluded, or failed to include anyway, the guy during the conversation. Also maybe that dig about people always interviewing Patton Oswalt and Silverman in every documentary.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I'm kind of compelled to google all these weirdos they're talking about because I have no idea who or what any of them are but I know it'll just lead to a pile of more nonsense.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
For a pilot I thought it was pretty good. They're usually the low point of a series. Is there any info on who all his guests are going to be for the rest of the season?

One complaint: no cats. Film the cats Marc.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

He's a retard.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The Mel Brooks, Carl Reiner, Dick Van Dyke, and Michael Keaton interviews are all great and pretty recent. The podcast is definitely not running out of steam or anything.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Old Janx Spirit posted:

Do IFC's shows end up on Netflix?

Seems like it. Comedy bang bang did at least.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Does Simon Pegg's voice sound really low in this interview or is it just me?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Old Janx Spirit posted:

Yeah, Thinky Pain was pretty good. Worth watching, although I feel like it's not the best record of his stand up.

So, in the intro to today's show, Marc has just revealed that he's broken up with Jessica. It had seemed clear that things were going badly the last few shows, and given who he is, this is hardly a surprise, but still, I feel bad. I'm listening to it now, and he's keeping his cool, but he sounds pretty hurt.

They went from engaged/talking about babies to broken up pretty fast, but then again I guess I haven't been listening to all the recent episodes.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

substitute posted:

Yakov's story has to be interesting. I'm guessing he's very likeable too.

Also I bought a VHS of this for $1, just for the hell of it, on the street in Brooklyn a few years ago. The entire audience seems made up of 50 year-olds and over.

http://www.amazon.com/Just-Off-The-Boat-Smirnoff/dp/B00150WALG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386718638&sr=8-2&keywords=yakov+smirnoff

Act fast people, you too can see these 50 year olds for the low price of 38 bucks!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I'm with most of you guys on the music episodes in that I usually skip them, although occasionally they can be good (Dave Grohl). I don't really get the anti-angst stuff though, I mean you kind of sign up for that when you start into anything Maron does.

Also he's boning Moon Zappa now. Facial hair daddy issues already have been mentioned.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah, nothing wrong with Laura "The 'mom' from Jurassic Park" Dern.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I suppose she could be considered the mother of all triceratops doctors.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

But back to non dinosaur topics, Marc is dating Moon Zappa now? Hmmmm. Well, at least it's age appropriate! And there's no gold-digger factor to be scared of. And no daddy issue factor to take in oh god Frank Zappa had the exact same facial hair.

What episode/s has he talked about her in?

He mentioned it at the top of the last episode. The Bronner soap guy one

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It'd be neat if Marc or his producer or whatever would edit together a special episode from all the comedy store interviews. Do sort of a history of the place in chronological order from all the different points of view.

I would also except a episode that would be essentially a super edit of all the comedian's Lorne Michaels impressions.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Well if you are interested in Marc's personal life at all this is the episode.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I enjoyed it overall, but it is a show that's all about Marc so if you are one of those people that have grown really annoyed with him I could see how you wouldn't like it. I thought for sure he was going to close out the show when it cut to the Dad phone call.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Yeah I think the apology was a bit weak. It was more of an "I'm sorry you felt that way, but..." instead of just admitting his Dad was hurt and that he realized what he's done.

Well I don't think Marc has really forgiven his Dad for a bunch of stuff either, clearly. I guess he doesn't want to give ground on something he felt justified in doing.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Ribisi was doing a good job of portraying Scientology as being not that different after all, until Marc asked him about psychiatry and he just started letting the crazy flow.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah I liked the last episode. I cringed at that Louis CK story, though.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I totally didn't know Wanda Sykes was a lesbian. Also, I was pleased that Marc gave livermush his endorsement.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

The Linklater and Paul Thomas Anderson interviews were great.

Also, Cosby refused to do the show because it had 'gently caress' in the title.

Haha which episode does he talk about that? I've not been listening to WTF so much lately

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
What Marc said is not really anything to get pissed about.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

All the cool kids know Obama dropped a bunch of n-bombs in the audio version of Dreams from My Father.

Yeah this is what I was thinking. I mean they got it someplace for the soundboards 7 years ago.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Knucklebear posted:

The followup was fantastic. I had no idea that much preparation went into a 1 hour interview with the president.

I am now fascinated by the presidential yoga mat.

Yeah, what was that?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah I really liked it. It made me pumped to see Mr. Holmes, but I'll have to drive 45 minutes to see it and I'm not sure it's worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Cynac said it was racist and Stewart disagreed. Its at that point that he should have dropped it. Instead, he loving hounded Stewart to the point where Stewart had to tell him to "gently caress off." Here's the thing: when your boss tells you to drop something, you drop it. He makes the decisions, he gives the orders, and you follow. If you can't handle that, then you shouldn't be loving working there. Cynac is a giant baby who threw a temper tantrum (that included name calling) because he didn't get his way, and the fact that he's now going around telling this story as if Stewart did something wrong is just more evidence that Stewart was completely in the right for telling him to "gently caress off."

You sound like a pussy

• Locked thread