Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I only just discovered this podcast and I really like it. Scanning the list of episodes I realise I don't really know most of the people he interviews because I'm a brit and generally have big blind spots for certain areas of entertainment any way.

I only just heard the paula poundstone, and bo burnham shows but he is a really good talker. It's a really interesting way of getting to know people. I was just looking up bo burham's videos on youtbe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I don't know if most americans even know who russell brand is, but his episode is excellent.

He is one of those marmite type of characters that inspires rage in so called "real men" but I think he is a perfect interview partner for marc with their personal histories of addiction etc.

Marc Maron is quickly becoming my favourite non sport/gaming/music podcast.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

HateTheInternet posted:

Seriously? He basically starred in a few big budget comedies over the last 3 or 4 years, plus the whole Katy Perry marriage.

Cool, coming from my blinkered perspective I never know exactly what is what. I didn't realise he was so big your side of the pond.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I didn't realise people like Tony Clifton still existed.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

You do realize he's a character right? If not that's awesome.

Ha, well I guess that's awesome then. :blush: Being honest, I didn't know who any of the people were from the last episodes of the show (I downloaded the brand episode seeing his name).

Honestly I'm not one of those "Oh *insert famous person* who are they *snark*". I just have huge blind spots for this stuff.

I consume loads of american culture in the music/journalism/games etc areas but not really in others.

A dumb example was that I was just playing GTA4 last night and heard Rick Shapiro on one of the radio stations and thought to myself "thats that guy from marc maron's podcast".

So I'm getting my cultural references in a weird backwards way if that makes sense.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
What is a 'street joke'? Racist/sexist?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah I liked his episode, the people with the crazy pasts are always entertaining. I'm thinking of buying some episodes because I want to support marc. I already bought russell brand, what other ones are worth shelling out for?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Nate Bargatze episode is excellent. Really funny guy, you could tell marc genuinely enjoyed talking to him. I'd never heard of him before but will look him up.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
That is what makes them interesting though. It's not all just "HEY GUYYSSS" *jazz hands* like 99% of other interviewers.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Bundt Cake posted:

Gee wiz guys I don't think Marc's that big of an rear end in a top hat and he always makes me laugh and I can Relate To some of his neuroses. I actually liked his show better when he was doing worse which probably makes me some kind of bad mental health voyeur :(

I like him.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah I've been loving all these recent episodes, maron is still on top form.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The latest episode with Michael Keaton is excellent, really nice bloke.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The dylan guy was so defensive it kind of ruined the interview. I understand he must get frustrated with people asking about his dad but he really was assuming the worst with marc's questions.

I got bored and turned it off about half way through.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

jyrka posted:

I'm not specifically interested in Bob Dylan's dirt

Neither was marc, but he reacted to every question that even touched bob as if it was a personal insult. It was pretty awkward and not very entertaining.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm so glad that dave is loving awesome. He is one of the few childhood heroes I have. I've never really heard an interview with him though. Top lad.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm lagging behind but mel brooks was fantastic.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It's weird, after really enjoying the mel brooks cast, I didn't think reiners was as good. He seemed to be a lot more on auto pilot.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Old Janx Spirit posted:

I really liked this week's show with Eddie Pepitone. It was exactly the kind of show that made me love WTF when I first started listening: an in depth discussion of what it means to be a comedian.

Yeah that was great. I like the interviews where there is a back and forward. I think he said he is trying to move away from that and more concentrating on the other person.

I think people open up a lot more when marc talks about himself as well.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Aimee Mann seems really cool. I enjoyed her interview. I love that marc has these random encounters with people that he can bring up.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

The Berzerker posted:

Maron's new book came in the mail today, although I haven't started reading it yet. Anybody else pick it up?

I'll buy it at some point. Glad to see marc is doing so well.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Billy Bragg is loving great.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Ok so escape artist isn't a pro but I'd like too hear about his experiences as a disabled stand up.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I was actually the opposite. I'm not a tool fan so hearing about working in a pet shop and stuff was quite dull. I was more interested in the music stuff but you could tell he was really bored of discussing that.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Will Ferrell is loving great. That is one of the few times I actually think marc was pretty star struck. You could tell he was really enjoying it constantly laughing.

I'm really glad when stars I really like turn out to be really cool. I felt this way about Dave grohl as well, he is like the best dude ever.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
During the Phil Stutz episode marc mentions he read a book called some thing to do with the "fear of death"? Does any one remember what it's called?

Thanks prawn.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jan 7, 2014

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

But back to non dinosaur topics, Marc is dating Moon Zappa now? Hmmmm. Well, at least it's age appropriate! And there's no gold-digger factor to be scared of. And no daddy issue factor to take in oh god Frank Zappa had the exact same facial hair.

What episode/s has he talked about her in?

They got on really well in her episode, she seems really cool.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Billy Connolly is awesome.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
No posts in this thread for a while. I want too add I've been loving his interviews, I can't express every thing.

Marc's interviews are a staple of my week at work now. There is nobody better in my opinion.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The interviews with the old comedy store people are always these weird just sort of jumble of stories that are really hard to keep up with.

Marc admirably tries too steer them in a direction but they seem to be these type of guys that never even let you finish a question or thought with out launching into another thing.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Apoplexy posted:

I don't ordinarily listen to WTF when it's someone I haven't heard of, but once I saw that Rebecca Corry was a comedian, I figured I'd give this one a shot. REALLY good episode! Can't recommend it enough, as she's funny as poo poo and seems to get along with Marc well, bonding over having crazy in the family especially.

An excellent episode she is really entertaining.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I didn't really think he came across normally with the scientology stuff really. Just very evasive and giving politician/PR style answers.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah mike myers is amazing. Genuinely nice/funny guy.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah Claire Danes seems very nice but not a very interesting interviewee. She basically is completely perfect.

I'm only halfway into todays episode and was very interested in hearing about how japanese comedy is run like a complete monopoly.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Just listened to that episode today. What a crazy story. I think marc did well, just letting it flow. Just looked up her stuff on youtube, funny lady.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

DrVenkman posted:

The Linklater and Paul Thomas Anderson interviews were great.

Also, Cosby refused to do the show because it had 'gently caress' in the title.

That is hilarious.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Hasn't that always been the case with marc though real_slime? He is both brilliant and flawed which is what makes him interesting. I really appreciate his take on life. I find it hilarious that loads of his interviews start off with him apologising for being a idiot to the person in public.

I will have to re listen to the tig episode though.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I think it just makes for a really bland interview most of the time unless the person is incredibly interesting and can discuss other topics.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Obama seems like the perfect guest for marc. Congrats to him.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Lost For Words posted:

Marc melting down about credit card points just about killed me

Listening to the follow up episode was almost better than the actual interview. Well done maron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah I mean after hearing all of the setup it's no wonder marc was completely overwhelmed. Having your house full of loving tents/snipers etc and secret service breathing down your neck in the room.

He did well under the circumstances.

• Locked thread