Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Clearly that mispronunciation of Marc Maron's last name was a shout out to CBB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

What's wrong with Gen Y when they think they can say whatever they want to their bosses and call their bosses names and not get fired? Stewart showed a lot of restraint because if that jackass came up to me and called me a racist I would have thrown him out on the street without a second thought.

Wyatt Cynac is an ungrateful piece of poo poo.

Wyatt's Gen X.

He didn't call Stewart racist. He felt uncomfortable about a bit Stewart was doing and spoke up. He was the only black person on the show at the time. I saw the clip in question and voice barley registered as "black" to me ... but I'm white and I'm not clued into a lot of more subtle racial things because I don't deal with it constantly like minorities do. If I were Stewart, I'd want to know that the sole black person working on my show, who knows I'm not a racist, still felt uncomfortable with it.

That said, Stewart's reaction is somewhat understandable. Dude has a stressful job, is constantly getting poo poo from all sides, and he hit a breaking point.

Also, I agree with others who have said this is part of a larger thing in Cenac's life. Dude has some emotional issues for sure. I'm sure he's not the only person in the writer's room to ever get in a shouting match with Stewart over the course of the show's run, but he might be the only person who was utterly emotionally destroyed by it.

edit: seriously Irish Joe your post is really loving dumb

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

NO IT'S NOT. THAT'S MY POINT. You don't work in this industry. So STOP TELLING ME WHAT MY DAY-TO-DAY LIFE IS. I'm not black, but I'm starting to understand what it's like when white people tell black people that their experience with law enforcement is not valid because they've met nothing but nice cops.

Let's go down the list of things you're factually wrong about. These are not up for debate:

*Wyatt Cenac is generation Y or a Millenial. No. He's a 39 year old man.

*Rose McGowan posted a script on Twitter. She did not. She posted a casting note. You've mentioned this multiple times and don't even know what you're talking about. You read a blog post, shoved in the back of your mind, and retrieved a crumpled version of it.

*The woman who spoke up in Aaron Sorkin's writing room is not unemployed. She is a writer on a prestigious TV show that just won an award for being the best TV show. And in those 18 months "doing nothing", she could've sold a pilot or done uncredited rewrites. Who knows? IMDB is not your friend when it comes to screenwriters.

So you ignored these easily Googlable facts, combined them with your total lack of experience working in Hollywood, and formed an extremely aggressive opinion on why minorities should keep their mouth shut when people in power say things that are, how should we put it, uncouth.

You should post in ask/tell about working in the entertainment industry.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

theradiostillsucks posted:

I've got a backlog going because I only have so much tolerance for Marc, even with skipping his intros.

Same. I stopped listening for a solid year or two after listening to every episode from something like 40-200.

I will say, having tuned back in for Obama and then checking out Segel and Cenac, I feel like he has become a legitimately great interviewer when he wants to be.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

She is very talented and gorgeous and I would love to take her to dinner.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

The Berzerker posted:

Apparently Maron interviewed Lorne today. Episode to be released... at some point.

Holy poo poo.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

It's amazing how much terror and awe he induces in so many otherwise smart and headstrong comedians. All because of a show that is fleetingly funny at best. These people with such reverence about SNL and it's so clearly trivial. If anything Lorne should catch more poo poo for allowing that weird elitist culture to form around a silly sketch show.

Except there are a few people from every cast who go on to be wildly successful and owe their entire careers to Lorne. Tina Fey arguably would not have starred in her own sitcom without Lorne giving her Weekend Update. It's not surprising that people don't want to bad mouth him.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

That's what it is. It's a breeding ground. "SNL hasn't been good since 19xx" was a clichéd thing to say 20 years ago yet people still argue that with a straight face. SNL has never been "good" in the sense that certain seasons had tons of great episodes from front to back. But for 40 consecutive years, it's showcased the next great comedic stars from North America. And in 40 years, it's never failed to do so.

That argument -- that it hasn't been good since whenever -- continues to bug me. When you're in middle school, and you're watching a 90 minute sketch comedy show edited down to 60 minutes, and people who are huge stars like Adam Sandler, Will Ferrel and Chris Farley are on it, you are going to remember those episodes as being the better than 90 minutes with people you don't really know. Those 60 minute versions (almost) always have the monologue and Weekend Update, which are arguably the most dependable parts of the show. Throw in a couple commercial parodies which are usually pretty good, a musical performance from a band you remember and you're left with time for 2 or 3 sketches. And it's rare that you can't find 2 or 3 good to middling sketches on an episode of SNL.

What you don't see are the sketches that utterly fail, of which there are usually one or two per episode, nor do you see any episodes that end up being a complete train-wreck thanks to a lovely host. Also, you are not seeing them in the context of a time where no one knew who Adam Sandler was.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

The best argument for SNL being solely about casts and not the quality of sketches is the cast from about 2004 to a few years ago. Outside of the digital shorts, can you name that many great sketches from that period? Yet from that era you have huge stars like Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Kristen Wiig, Bill Hader, Seth Meyers, Andy Samberg, Fred Armisen, Jason Sudeikis, Jimmy Fallon, and Seth Meyers and comedy nerd favorites like Jenny Slate, Will Forte, Mike O'Brien. I don't watch Saturday Night Live to watch the world's best sketches. I watch it so I can see people like Kyle Mooney and Kate McKinnon on a weekly basis before they become industry giants.

That's a good point.

On a totally unrelated note, I'm pretty bummed by the lack of Kyle and Brett videos this year so far.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

piratepilates posted:

I'm not a regular WTF listener. Was there some kind of animosity between Marc and Lorne? I feel like I kept hearing that but this is a very cordial episode.

He had the one meeting that didn't go well and because he was an up and coming comic with what would have been a huge opportunity for him at the time he built it up in his head. Lorne has tremendous influence in the comedy world and is fairly private, so he's easy to mythologized. And I think he plays it up a bit himself.

But on the other hand, you don't get to be successful like that without being able to charm people. So I didn't suspect anything less than a cordial interview with the man.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Law Cheetah posted:

I guess for being dicky to him in that meeting. It was a long time ago, but people are playing up the "marc is crazy" angle too much. If the story he always tells is accurate then lorne was pretty lovely to him.

I dunno, the story sounds to me like Lorne condescended to Marc, who had/has a well-earned reputation for being an rear end in a top hat. I'm sure Marc has said way more insulting poo poo to younger comics than what Lorne said to him in a meeting 20 years ago.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I dunno why anyone would expect Marc to be anything but cordial with Lorne. He's always on his best behavior around people who are higher up on the food chain. Lorne was a big get for the podcast, and he gets very little from it.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

"Incredible rear end in a top hat" according to Marc, who doesn't have the best of memories about these things and has built it up for 20 years or whatever it is into something it clearly wasn't. I thought Lorne was fairly level headed in his answer, though I got the feeling he was sparing Maron the embarrassment of saying that yeah you just weren't very good. Is Michaels dickish? Of course he is. But not everyone is Harry Shearer and willing to talk about that, mainly because he probably doesn't think he's being a dick.

And it should be noted that Shearer is a noted rear end in a top hat himself. He's got fuckoff money from the Simpsons, though, so he can afford it.

I'm sure there are stories about Lorne being a backstabber or something, but most of what I've heard from podcasts, articles etc is that he's just someone who keeps things close to the chest and dishes out occasional cryptic and/or cutting remark.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Finally finished the interview the other night. I thought it was pretty great and interesting to hear Lorne's philosophy behind why SNL is the way it is.

I don't know why people are saying Marc should have come in with a chip on his shoulder when he clearly doesn't have one anymore. It's ok to get over a bad interaction 20 years ago.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Bundt Cake posted:

Do you even know what happened? Lorne called him in for a meeting to poo poo on him.

It's really hard to understand with Maron's dick in your mouth

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

The Experiment posted:

The Todd Rundgren interview was kind of interesting. Hearing Marc ask some long winded question and then Todd responding by saying "no, not really" was funny in a way. It seemed like Marc did not know much about his work and Todd picked up on that early on.

With few exceptions, I hate when Marc interviews musicians because he knows absolutely nothing about them and refuses to do any research.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

The Berzerker posted:

Chris Gethard owns and is cool and nice. His comedy is super honest and genuine. I have not watched much TCGS but I like everything else about him... I might try TCGS sometime... probably not. Too much backlog

I started working through the backlog recently, it can be pretty inconsistent but like others have said it's worth having on in the background.

I also think the first ~10 episodes are interesting enough to watch on their own, it was fun for me to see how they worked out how the show should work.

Also, they had a cult following like 5 weeks in. It's pretty crazy how quickly people responded to it.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I thought the bit about how they filmed the Turtle club scene in Master of Disguise on 9/11/06 and held a moment of silence for the victims very moving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I just listen for the first 10 minutes and then fast forward to the lovely embarrassing white blues guitar riffs at the end.

• Locked thread