Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Unfortunately for those of you waiting on NoScript, there is another issue preventing good content blocking support. Basically, extensions have the ability to modify page contents, but an extension can't stop a page from loading in order for the extension to check user settings. Therefore, you wouldn't be able to use a site whitelist or blacklist for embedded scripts.

A solution hasn't been implemented because any solution would slow down the browser. The current proposal is to allow extensions to pause page loading and wait a fixed time for the extension to load settings. That way, you can still have extensions like NoScript without making slowdowns more prevalent and harder to diagnose. Unfortunately, that was proposed a month ago, and no work has been done on the issue, so it will be a while before true flexible content blocking happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Amppelix posted:

Is it just me, or did beta 18 break the SA webkit fix so that now text lines up incorrectly with images, smilies, etc. again?

My bad; my script had a typo, and now Chrome is calling me out on my poo poo. Use this until Anal adds it back in to the general extension.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

In case you're not following the QCS thread, there's a better extension to fix timgs and text alignment in Chrome. It apparently fixes timgs that users have incorrectly wrapped in URLs as well.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Chrome normally starts a lot of processes, so that if one page/plugin stops working, it doesn't take the whole browser down. If you have a lot of extensions or plugins, that could cause the issue. Try starting an Incognito window and see if that helps.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

fyallm posted:

[...]
You cannot proceed because the website operator has requested heightened security for this domain.

If I use IE I can get to it no problem. But if I use chrome I get that error and the only button I can push is back. I use to have to use '-disable-ssl-false-start' in order to get to https sites but now that won't even work. Any ideas?

The problem is Websense has to use a proxy to filter traffic. The way it's implemented is insecure, and you should avoid sending and receiving any private information through it. Unless you're needing to access HTTPS sites for your job through Websense (which is still insecure, and your work should configure the gateway to bypass the filter for those sites), you shouldn't use HTTPS sites from work.

The reason Chrome isn't allowing you to ignore the message is because Google uses HTTP Strict Transport Security, a feature Chrome and Firefox support but IE doesn't. Chrome has a list of sites hard-coded that always use HTTPS, and any other site can specify, after the first connection you make, that all future connections have to use HTTPS as well. chrome://net-internals/#hsts will let you remove the sites that aren't hard-coded from the list. Unfortunately, all of Google's own sites are hard-coded.

If you really, really need to use these sites, and you really, really don't care if your boss can read your e-mails or post goatse on your Facebook, you can install the certificate or have the person in charge of the Websense server install the certificate for you. Installing it yourself means you can't actually tell it's the Websense server you're getting the certificate from, though. If you really don't care:
  1. Click the X icon in the title bar to the left of the URL, then click "Certificate information"
  2. Check the Certification Path tab to see if there's more than one certificate. If so, click the top one, then click "View Certificate"
  3. On the Details tab, click "Copy to File..."
  4. Just click "Next" on everything, entering a file name when prompted, and click "Finish" at the summary screen
  5. Find the file, right-click it, and click "Install Certificate". Click "Next" once
  6. Choose the option "Place all certificates in the following store", then click "Browse..."
  7. Choose "Trusted Root Certification Authorities", then click "OK"
  8. Click "Next" and "Finish"

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Chrome doesn't use DirectWrite on Windows 7, which has improved font smoothing. The problem is DirectWrite doesn't work well with the sandboxing Chrome uses. There's a bug that's tracking the problem.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

Chrome 23 changed something about file associations; before I could open certain media files (.mp4 for instance) in-browser which had a pretty handy video player and I'd use that for a lot of sites that had lovely flash players (Gametrailers) but with 23 the browser player won't open but instead prompts me to download the .mp4 itself. There's no option anywhere in Chrome to set it to always open .mp4 files in-browser. Is there any way around this?

Does it happen for every video? I tried this link, and it worked fine for me. Dragging and dropping still works as well. If it's not every video, it's probably because the server is sending the wrong file type to Chrome.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

Huh, that one works exactly as it did before. I thought it might just be Gametrailers but the issue came up after I updated Chrome, and Gametrailers don't have draggable links to the video files for some reason, nor can you copy the URL either, it just goes straight to the download option after you click it unlike before.

Chrome really needs to let people set up preferred actions for filetypes like every browser since forever.

Actually, Chrome is working like it should be. I checked Gametrailers using Wireshark, and it looks like whenever you click the Download button, the download server is sending the header "Content-Disposition: attachment". That prevents the browser from opening the file directly and instead causes it to ask you to save it. I don't know why Chrome was letting you open it directly before, but if it was receiving that header, it shouldn't have done so. The only way to change that would be with a custom extension.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

kri kri posted:

What is the best current option for making videos on youtube run in auto-HD mode? The auto-HD one I used to use is sketchy as hell now.

What's the one you used to use? Personally, I use YouTube Options, which also lets you cut out bullshit like giant buttons that say Subscribe! and banal comments. They do have a version available outside the store, but that's only if you need download links on videos.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

I just noticed Chrome give a message when SA went down for a few minutes that said other users were experiencing problems accessing the site. I've never noticed that feature before, but it's pretty handy.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Did you press the Zoom button by mistake? If you see a magnifying glass in the address bar, click it and press "Reset to default"

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Who the gently caress decided to allow websites to trap you by 'breaking' the back button with redirects? Is there a plugin to fix this assfuckery?

Hold down the back button. :ssh:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

It seems like I can click to my original google search before the site in question, but still get directed back to the site. At that point I get pissed and close the tab.

That's something stupid Google does. All the search links don't link directly to a site, but to another Google page that redirects to the site. It's really dumb, makes it hard to copy search links, and fucks up the back button all the time, as you've encountered.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Why does Chrome on Android take up so much goddamn memory? On a Nook HD Plus, it pretty much immediately crashes all my background apps, then after 15 minutes, crashes itself. Firefox on the same device has no such problem, but I can't use hover-and-click menus like the superforum menu on this site, which is pretty annoying.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Alternatively, just set the encoding manually. The menu is just under Tools. Chances are changing it to UTF-8 from Western or vice versa will fix it.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Extensions can still be installed through Group Policy. On Windows, all you have to do is import one value into the registry; on Linux, you create a three-line file in a directory in /etc. The extension's developer would tell you what to put in there. If you don't want to bother with that, you can unzip the crx file (you may have to hex edit the header off up to and excluding the "PK") and click "Load Unpacked Extension" with developer mode enabled, but you'll lose auto-updates that way.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Mozi posted:

I've been using FLV video downloader but the recent update needs every permission and inserts ads in search results so that's junked. What's everyone else using instead?

What web sites are you using it on? If you're willing to muck around with Group Policy, you can install YouTube Options, which claims to support several major sites. It also makes YouTube not suck as much, so that's a plus.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

Is anyone else having a problem getting videos to play after the most recent update? I'll just get a black box instead of a working video. If I go to the youtube site and get the video directly it can work, but otherwise nothing. Same with if I click a link to a PDF, very slow, often won't open.

I went to chrome://plugins and clicked to enable all of them, but no change. Any suggestions?

Resize the window.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

crestfallen posted:

Is it just the affiliate ads for HoverZoom, or did they find something else? You can turn the ads off in the options. There's also an option to turn off some sort of data collection.

I turned both those options off a long, long time ago. Is there something else I need to be worried about?

Until sometime in June, any extensions that were in the Chrome store before the new extension policy went into place can be sold off to adware companies and updated without your knowledge to include ad-spawning code. After June, the Web Store policy will effectively prohibit adware in all extensions, and it already prohibits it in new extensions.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Resonance posted:

I don't have Java installed on my Win 7 machine, yet in chrome://plugins/ I have this entry which is apparently in need of an update. Is this a Jscript thing?

Java(TM) - Version: 10.21.2.11 Download Critical Security Update
NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy

Latest stable Version 32.0.1700.102 m

e: version update as soon as I post.

Uninstalling Java doesn't remove the Java Deployment Toolkit because reasons Oracle is a terrible company. I don't think anybody even uses that plugin except for malware authors.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Crossbar posted:

I noticed that Amazon stopped including a tracking numbers in my shipping notifications. I figured that's why google now stopped giving me tracking updates.

Funny; Gmail extracts the tracking number from the URL just fine.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Blue Moonlight posted:

There are users who, upon loading IE8 for the first time that day, automatically visit their home page, MSN.com, and punch "Google" into Bing to visit Google.com so they can search for cat videos on YouTube.

It's going to be here for a while.

One of my professors does this exactly (except she looks up Frontline and 60 Minutes clips). She has ADHD, though, so she kind of has an excuse, but it's still really annoying when she does it.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I use that feature ALL the time, and I cannot remotely comprehend why it would be removed.

Because minimalist designs are the hot new style in application development. If your application does more than the absolute minimum, it's worse than useless.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

withak posted:

I am currently designing a browser that consists only of a minimal plugin framework. The user is required to use plugins if he wants to do extra stuff like access web pages, render html, view images, etc.

No, that's wrong! The framework must itself be a plugin to be truly minimalist.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

YouTube Options hasn't worked for me since the last YouTube update anyway. Also, I wouldn't be downloading videos off of YouTube if they didn't force DASH down people's throats; half the time videos won't play, and the other half they only play 3/4 of the way through then die. gently caress both Spoi and Google. I'm just opening up Firefox for any YouTube links at this point, since at least some of those YouTube extensions don't suck, and I'm switching off of Chrome entirely once Firefox gets Electrolysis working.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

MrMoo posted:

Aren't plugins sandbox in their own processes so the container browser bit size is irrelevant?

Even Microsoft fixed that poo poo in MSIE11.

Last I checked, IE 64-bit has really strict requirements for plugins: they must have both 32-bit and 64-bit DLLs installed and support Enhanced Protected Mode (which requires changes to the code).

In any case, Chrome isn't going to support NPAPI in a year at all, so there's no reason to implement it in 64 bits. At least, that's what they claim, but based on their track record, that's likely to change.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

I just reinstalled the enterprise MSI, and my extensions started working again. Weird. I'm on stable channel, latest version, not in a domain, and don't even have developer mode enabled, yet I can still drop .crx files onto the extension page just like before.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Pivit posted:

You can enable third party addons by configuring chrome via group policy.

Are you on a domain? I thought they disabled that a few months back if you weren't on a domain. This is pretty weird the way they're handling this.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

hifi posted:

There's a setting in about :flags to disable/enable the asynchronous dns client that you can try toggling.

Before doing that, you can try just clearing it at chrome://net-internals/#dns

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

Is there a way to block only the most annoying ads?

Not really. Most sites use a third party like Google to handle their ads, and standards are typically very low. Also, ads are typically the way you get viruses provided you don't open random attachments in e-mails. Buy something from the site if you feel bad.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

What is this *.webp extension when saving images? :( It's really frustrating.

Either you've found one of the ten people in the world who actually uses WebP, or you just got Googled into another bullshit experiment.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

Pretty sure it's a mix of both. Basically any image I pull from Tumblr or Facebook is now some WebP poo poo. It's annoying.

I found an extension that lets me save as PNG for all webP images. It even does it if you do "Save As" or drag and drop. It's really loving annoying as apparently only Chrome can open it.

Try changing your user agent to Firefox or Safari for those sites. You can do that in the developer console or with an extension.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Heads up: the uBlock developer has changed. You may need to reinstall the extension to get updates. The new repository is https://github.com/chrisaljoudi/uBlock. The new developer is asking for donations for the project.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Please keep in mind that Java will not work in Chrome a few months from now, since support for NPAPI is being removed.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

uBlock is an alternative to AdBlock, and uMatrix is an alternative to NoScript; that is, uBlock blocks based on filter lists and is meant to block by URL, and uMatrix blocks based on rules you set up yourself and is meant to block by request type. Also, read the GitHub page.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Chrome 45 is out. Notably, NPAPI is gone, and Logjam has been fixed (finally).

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Does anyone know how to disable RC4 entirely? I tried the --cipher-suite-blacklist trick, but that doesn't turn off the fallback.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

That's what I meant... I didn't know there was even a non-origin uBlock, I'm using origin on Windows and Android.

The whole reason it's called Origin is the original developer retired, gave the code away, didn't like the way the new developer was handling it, and unretired, thus prompting the name change.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Disable syncing extensions on all but one computer, then uninstall the extensions from every computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Sounds like it's time to :pt:.