Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

One core thing that keeps me from Chrome is that the type-ahead search isn't fully native, and relies on an extension. It just didn't work as well as FF's when I last tried it about half a year back, and I read a bug/wishlist entry where the Chrome devs gave a stupid reasoning about leaving it out, citing indirectly that such a feature would contribute to bloat. Any updates to this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

It's over 1½ years old now, but I only just today discovered this comment to the Chromium issue about type-ahead find:

quote:

The rest: Apparently leaving comments open on this bug has given some of you the misimpression that adding comments is going to influence us to add the feature to Chrome. I don't mind people commenting but, I think it's wrong for people to get their hopes up about something that isn't going to happen, or spend lots of time exhorting others to "influence" our UI team in ways that we're not actually paying attention to (e.g. star counts on WontFixed bugs). Accordingly, I'm closing this to further comments by non-committers.

We understand that FAYT is a useful feature for a lot of you and you really like it. For people who have said they prefer Firefox to Chrome for this reason: it is completely reasonable for you to use Firefox -- or any other browser -- instead of Chrome, for whatever reason you wish. Multiple browsers exist partly because not everyone is the same and not everyone is well-served by a single product -- Chrome not excepted.

I also appreciate the earlier comments that there's currently an extension to add something like this, which (to reiterate) you can find at https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/cpecbmjeidppdiampimghndkikcmoadk . If you want to continue to use Chrome perhaps that will be of use. We're always happy for people to write extensions, as that's the best way for us to meet the needs of smaller-but-dedicated user groups like all of you in cases where the core product is suboptimal.

To sum, you are welcome to continue starring this bug if you wish, but there won't be further activity on it and we have no plans to ever add FAYT to the core product.
Am I justified in calling this guy an rear end in a top hat? I know I have no say in what they're doing with their product, but we're talking about a feature here that can be completely toggled on and off, and for a lot of people makes or breaks the browser. It is impossible to implement it properly via an extension. Here's this guy shooting it down, mostly due to some irrational hatred towards the feature or something, and telling us that he's happy to show us the door and let us use Firefox if we miss the feature so much. What kind of attitude is that? I know implementing and maintaining features isn't free, but this just pisses me off.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Of course they're not, but the whole point of software is that it does something useful.

When I look at Chrome's settings, there's a fair amount of advanced and/or specific tweaks that only very few people will care about. For example, the developer debugging mode. Yet they single out type-ahead search as something useless. It also seems to be very tailored for the whole Google everything setup, with a Google Account, integration with all sorts of Google services, and more. Not that I mind their services, but it might become too much at some point.

Thermopyle posted:

No. That was a reasonable and courteous response.

I dunno, it seemed a bit smug to me, particularly the part where he said that they didn't give a crap that people starred the issue. I guess I'm biased because I would like to give Chrome a shot, but I won't because of that feature missing.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 7, 2012

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

It wasn't. You just feel that way because you want the feature. They're not interested in implementing it and they want to manage people's expectation wrt starring a WontFix issue.

Me = :qq: :goonsay: :argh: :ssj:

I guess I can hope for a modified source build some day that implements it.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

MisterBibs posted:

Simple question that I can't even conceptualize the name of the feature:

I'm finding that whenever I open a video file link in Chrome, it immediately loads the video in-browser. I want it to load with the default media player on my computer. How do I do that, and where is the option?

EDIT: Disabling the VLC plugin kinda works, in that it defaults to SAVING media files. But this isn't want I want. I want to click a video link, and have it come up with MPC or whatever.

The name of the feature would be file associations, or equal to Firefox's "Applications" tab in the Options pane. A quick look at Chrome's options indicates that you can only chose to nuke the whole mapping you've set up under Settings->Show Advanced-> click Clear auto-opening settings. You should then be prompted the next time you click a video (or click the little arrow on the download box at the bottom, then choose).

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

jyrka posted:

When I open a new window, is there a way to make it so the focus will be on the address bar so I can type whatever right in rather than having to click there first?
If you can live with not having a start page (but use the default "new tab page" with a list of frequently used sites), it will automatically focus the address bar upon opening a new tab.

It's kind of a pickle; sometimes I like having google.com as my start page, where it focuses in the search textbox so I can instantly search (I use my special search box permanently for Wikipedia), other times the default start page with focus in the address bar would be nice. You can't really combine the two.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Crossposting from the GBS youtube thread:

As of yesterday, all YouTube videos in Chrome stop playing about 5% before they actually end. If it's in a playlist, it skips to the next video; if it's a single video, it shows the tiles with related videos. It doesn't happen in Firefox. It happens both for a friend of mine and I, and on multiple computers. Same whether I'm logged in or not.

Chrome is version 22.0.1229.94 m.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

biznatchio posted:

I got tired of SA threads that have a bunch of inlined videos making the browser hang terribly, so I made an extension to make inline YouTube videos on the forums ultra lightweight -- it loads the video thumbnail as a regular image and overlays a play button and the video title on top, and defers creating the actual video player until you click on it. Posting it here in case anyone else finds it useful.
Neat, although you can also just toggle the option "Show video embedded in posts with the [video] tag?" on SA in your User Control Panel -> Edit Options. I just see the link with a tiny movie icon next to it.

PS: You wrote "browser hands" instead of hangs on your extension description.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

MrMoo posted:

Just noticed Chrome no longer uses native popup menus, a bit odd.

Either HTML layers or drawing in Skia.

Christ, what is Google thinking with their UI these days? This might sound a bit spergy, but customized context menus is one of the biggest no-no's when making Windows applications. Leave well enough alone. Same with their absurd idea of using a browser window for adjusting settings and configuration in an application.

Now we know it's a matter of half a year or so until Firefox jumps on the bandwagon.

:goonsay: :argh:

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

hifi posted:

No way, Windows' config UI is garbage (no clue about mac). Unresizable windows/text boxes that cover a laughable size of the screen, windows that steal and maintain focus, ect.
Technically speaking there's no such concept of a "Windows config UI"; every application that needs configuration in a UI rolls it own completely custom UI. Unresizable controls and stealing focus is part of the native Windows UI and has nothing to do with configuration.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

MrMoo posted:

Actually all browsers support this functionality yet many still have the redundant secondary box.
It's not redundant. Mine is permanently set to Wikipedia. Ctrl+K, type search string, hit enter: Boom; Wikipedia article opened in new tab.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

withak posted:

Unnecessary frippery.
The unified two-factor authentication login system used by every public/government website in my country, plus online banking, is made in Java. :( I'll be stuck with loving Java for ages.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Does anyone know of a Chrome plugin that adds a context menu option for opening a link in Firefox?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Farchanter posted:

I need to learn to not mess with settings unless I write down what it is that I'm doing.

I have Chrome version 39.0.2171.62 beta-m, but I think that the problem I'm having is just me screwing with a font setting, I'm just not sure how to fix it. My font on some pages looks "wrong," in the sense that some characters are thick and bunched up, greatly reducing legibility when trying to skim. An example is below:

Does anyone know how to fix this? I'd be much appreciative, this is a huge pain.
I don't know how to fix it specifically, but that is because the fonts are not being anti-aliased. Google's lovely fonts that are sadly so popular on many websites are not naturally anti-aliased, so they look like poo poo (precisely like your screenshot) if neither your browser nor your OS does anti-aliasing on them.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Does anyone know of an extension that gives mouse wheel control of the volume on YouTube? I've used "YouTube Mouse Controls" for a while, but it's really wonky and unstable.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I should have added "except Magic Actions", because I have bad experience with that addon - it just messes up way too often. It also seems borderline malware and scummy. Just look at this poo poo after installing:

I guess I can give it another shot.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Sep 18, 2015

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

Lol. I completely forgot there was such a thing as a Home button. I've had it disabled for years.

Anyway, that works perfectly, thanks.
Even better, just press Alt+Home, no need to click.

Sonata Mused posted:

Is there really anything for Chrome on android for content blocking? A few sites I go to have those dumb ads that keep redirecting me to the Play Store.
Well there's AdBlock for Android. It works by acting as a proxy server on the device, and you adjust your wifi connection to use that proxy server; thereby filtering ads. Clumsy compared to a browser plugin, but it works somewhat decently.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Why is my loving Chrome title bar now grey, making it almost impossible to whether or not the window is active or not? Previously it was blue.

flat style bullshit :ssj:

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Rusty! posted:

Might be the new material layout, can turn it off in chrome://flags

dont be mean to me posted:

I have the new material layout and my active title bar is the same color as other title bars.

If he has Windows 10, he might have colored title bars turned off.

Windows 7, thanks for the tips, turning off the Material flag did the trick. :)

I'm one of those people who use the Classic theme on Windows 7 and disable everything fancy and modern (basically rockin' the Windows 95 look), so maybe that's why it suddenly messed up after updating and relaunching Chrome.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

The Gunslinger posted:

but I want to change the default behavior
Haha, welcome to Chrome, good luck with that! ;)

Sorry but you should stick to Firefox (like I do). Chrome just overall much less customizable and extendable. Some things cannot be changed, although I don't know specifically if you can change click / Ctrl+click behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Stare-Out posted:

Well that's remarkably stupid. Thanks.
Don't solely blame Youtube/Google, the author of the video intentionally made the last 20 secs of his video show those cards, and chose what to "advertise" for. It's not just auto-generated.

While I'd prefer to be without (annotations are retarded in the first place), I've seen a channel that does this and it just provides a common little outro and links to recent videos from their channel.