Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

RAM use doesn't have a multiplier based on what year it is, a message board using almost 1GB of RAM after an hour is just bad memory management.

There may or may not be a problem with your memory usage, but it is quite reasonable for a web browser to use more ram now than a year ago or 10 years ago. Software developers expect the average amount of RAM in a computer to increase as time goes by and either use it to do more or spend less developer time optimizing memory usage. Both of those are quite reasonable options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

So I guess this is the year of Linux On The Desktop, since none of the recent dumb Chrome UI things have ever appeared with Chrome on linux!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

dpbjinc posted:

Why does Chrome on Android take up so much goddamn memory? On a Nook HD Plus, it pretty much immediately crashes all my background apps, then after 15 minutes, crashes itself. Firefox on the same device has no such problem, but I can't use hover-and-click menus like the superforum menu on this site, which is pretty annoying.

In case you're not aware:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571717

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Meat Recital posted:

There is no general Google thread, but this seems like the place to bitch about the new home tab. Is there any way to get the Recently Closed button back? I loved that little guy.

Not that I know of, but in case you weren't aware, it is now in menu>Recent Tabs.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Dennis Kucinich posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for extensions or methods for managing a bunch of tabs at once? I just started a tech support job, and often I will be handling three live chats and a phone call at the same time. My tab bar quickly fills up and becomes impossible to manage, and I lose track of the "must-have" tabs that are opened constantly.

I looked into TooManyTabs, but I'm not entirely convinced it would be all that helpful, and I don't want to use anything buggy. Maybe it's just a matter of getting better at closing tabs I'm not using anymore and using Chrome's built-in features more efficiently. A facility to label tabs with unhelpful/indistinguishable titles might be useful too.

Use multiple windows and put tabs for related tasks in each window. Simple to drag tabs between windows.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Thwomp posted:

Anyone having trouble with forum tabs crashing on occasion?

I'm positive it's some ad on the forums locking up Chrome (as reloading works fine and it's happening on different threads) but is anyone else seeing this behavior?

Yes, I've been getting this occasionally.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Maybe try the beta channel?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

More and more extensions are starting to do lovely things and it's getting frustrating. The Window Resizer extension which is nice to use for web dev work just started redirecting google search results through ecosia.org. That's a nice, charitable type of cause, but it's a lovely thing to start doing. Especially since right now ecosia.org isn't working right causing all links on a Google search page to not work.

So, basically, every time one of my dozen or so extensions update I've got to look at a google searches, ads, shopping sites, etc to see what kinds of ads they're inserting or what links they're redirecting.

Bah to you, extension authors. Bah!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

So, does anyone else get random glitches in audio from video or music streaming sites? Like, if I'm watching a Youtube video or listening to Google Play Music, it'll not-infrequently, almost stutter with a "bzzzzt" sound.

Having recently upgraded my PC to an i5-4670k, I thought that'd go away. Nope.

So, today I did some experimenting and can't get it to stutter at all in Firefox.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

After all the Heartbleed hoopla, I went and got Lastpass for password management, including installing the extension in Chrome. The only problem now is that Chrome is broken and runs slow as hell all the time; attempting a search straight up freezes the browser for 5-10, almost every webpage is slow to load including the new tab Home screen, syncing Chrome across devices seems to be permanently broke and I'm constantly getting prompts to "sign back in" to Google services.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome, updating drivers on my devices (a Lenovo T440p running Windows 8.1 and a Nexus 5 with the most recent Android version), taking it to the IT helpdesk on campus, etc. Is there a way to fix this short of just uninstalling LastPass? I like the service, but I'd rather go back to attempting to remember a dozen different passwords than dealing with a broken browser.

I don't have that problem with Lastpass and I've got like 700 sites saved in it. I realize this isn't terribly helpful except it might mean that your problem isn't actually Lastpass + Chrome.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

unpronounceable posted:

What's a good RSS feed extension? I used to use RSS Live Links, but apparently that's been removed from the store. I looked at the google one, but whenever I try to add a feed, it just takes me to some random site. I also looked at this one, but it won't even present entries in order.

Any suggestions?

Fake edit: I'd search the thread, but search seems to be broken right now.

I think rss extensions have been taken over by sites like Feedly. No one really makes them any more.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Is there an extension or something to help me manage multiple Google accounts? I realize that Google sites have a drop down to allow selecting one of multiple accounts, but there's some sites I always want to use one or another account, and I've got to select it every drat time. For example, I'll never use any account on Play Music other than the one I signed up for All Access with...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

maltesh posted:

Would using multiple profiles on the computers you use Chrome on be too cumbersome?

Yeah. All I have to do now is click my Google profile pic and then click the other account to sign in to it. It's just irritating that I'm always having to do it, but it's definitely easier than using a separate profile.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Generic Monk posted:

Is there any way to sync extension settings like your history, bookmarks, installed extensions etc? Seems like most of my time reinstalling chrome is tweaking my extension options to how they were before so it seems like something that should really be in the pipeline.

If you click the menu, there should be a menu option asking you to sign in to your Google account (I think it says "Sign in to Chrome..."). Do it and then set up sync.

If you're already signed in to your Google account then you might not have sync configured. Go to the menu and then Settings and the first option should say something about sync.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

hooah posted:

However, this still doesn't sync the settings of various extensions. It does save some time, though.

Yeah, I assumed he just typed the wrong thing because he said...

quote:

"extension settings like history, bookmarks, installed extensions"
which doesn't make a lot of sense since those aren't extension settings.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

baka kaba posted:

Think 'like' was meant as 'in the same way as'. I don't know if Google would even sync stuff like that (it's sort of data they don't manage, it could be anything), but can't you back up extension data in your profile folder, or am I misremembering?

Huh.

I read that post multiple times and that potential reading of it didn't even occur to me for some reason.

If that's what the poster meant...there is no centralized way of doing that. That's why when an extension offers it itself, it's a big plus in my book.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

dik-dik posted:

Is there any such thing as a chrome extension that will periodically remind me to check certain webpages? E.g. once a week I want a reminder to fill out the latest survey on Reward Survey.

What about a calendar? Or an alarm?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Just in case anyone else had a :downs: moment like me.

To disable DirectWrite you have to enable the option that says "Disable DirectWrite". The wording made me think that mine was already disabled so I couldn't figure out why the problem persisted.

It's definitely worded in a head-scratchingly obtuse way.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Starting today, you can run some Android apps on ChromeOS.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Away all Goats posted:

Does this double as the Chromecast thread?

I'm trying to stream a local file from my computer to my TV and this guide says I can just open the file through chrome and cast it from there.

Except when I try to enter the exact file location it just tries to download the file instead of opening the movie. The file is .avi format.

Is there a foolproof way to chromecast a local file?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3561652

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

dissss posted:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the screenshot you posted - that is normal for a 1080p display.

If it's too small for you then you'll have to either set the zoom in Chrome or change scaling at the OS level (which can lead to its own problems in Chrome)

Yeah, it looks normal to me.

That's your punishment for browsing full screen on a high resolution display.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anyone else here using the dev branch, who's having issues with browsing incomplete websites? For a few days now, it seems like here and there the browser aborts in middle of the site load for no reason and renders the pages with broken CSS and no images.

I get this on beta recently.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

fuf posted:

Hey has anyone ever noticed this problem?

I am signed into chrome using my google apps account, and when I try to sign in to youtube using my old gmail account, I just get redirected to the admin panel for my apps account. Basically I can't sign in to youtube with a different google account than the one signed into chrome. Is that a bug or what? It sucks.

Everything about Google and using multiple accounts sucks. I hate it.

That being said, you can use the profiles thing they've got now (the drop down up in the title bar) to do different accounts in different Chrome windows. It works well except you can't have tabs for different accounts in the same window.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

fuf posted:

Nice, that's good enough. Thanks Thermopyle you have helped me in multiple threads today :v:

Sometimes the stars align and I know multiple things that someone else wants to know. :D

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Just came across this sweet extension called Imgur to Gfycat. It replaces all imgur-hosted gifs, with gfycat hosted versions. If no one with the extension has seen the link, then it just displays the imgur gif, but it sends it to gfycat so all subsequent views for you and everyone else comes from gfycat.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Anyone compared the various ad blocking options recently? I've been using HTTP Switchboard since it was posted in this thread awhile back, but I'm always looking for something new because I'm a glutton for problems.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is HTTPS Switchboard better on memory than AdBlock Plus too or should I just go with uBlock? I'm assuming that HTTPS Switchboard does the exact same thing as uBlock just offers a lot more fine tuning controls.

FWIW, I've used HTTP Switchboard for awhile but just switched to uBlock because I didn't use any of the features of HTTP Switchboard. I certainly haven't seen any performance differences between them.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

caiman posted:

Lately I've been receiving an error when opening Chrome: "Your profile could not be opened correctly." It pops up about 6 windows with this error. It only happens on my Linux installation, not Windows. I've followed the advice here about deleting the profile directories. This typically solves the problem for a day or two and then the error just starts showing up again. If I don't sign into my profile, I don't get the error.

I've resorted to completely uninstalling Chrome both at work (windows) and home (linux) and reinstalling. Error still pops up on Linux. Lately I've been trying out the beta and dev channel releases, and I think the problem began occurring around that time. But I've since uninstalled all instances other than the stable release and the problem persists.

Do I have a corrupt profile? What can I do?

I had this problem a year ago and I had to uninstall all extensions then enable them one by one and give it a few days between enabling each so I could see which one was screwing stuff up.

I found the culprit, but I can't remember which it was now.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I can't seem to find an extension to dial numbers with Google Hangouts. Like...click phone number on page: initiates phone call with Hangouts.

Anyone know how to do this?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

edit: n/m

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Has anyone else noticed making and receiving calls with the hangouts extension is just terrible recently?

My main problem is that when you answer a phone call, it keeps ringing for awhile. Like, you can talk to the person, but the ringing sound just keeps playing.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

supermikhail posted:

^^^The situation formulated more precisely.

And I'm not too cheap for a smartphone. In fact, I got given one as a gift about a year ago, but I felt that someone could make better use of all that functionality, so I gave it away to some relative. Although I keep getting reminded from time to time that for it's still registered to me in Google's eyes. Er. Hm. It's a long shot, but maybe I could remember which relative I gave the phone to, and install the 2 auth on it... You know, it's kind of starting to feel like I left a gaping security loophole, and 2 auth may be the least of my problems. :ohdear:

lol

I just don't know what to say about this.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I'm still using YouTube center. No complaints.

Well, there's one thing I would like... fix embeds that aren't set up correctly to have the full screen button. I'm looking at you, The Verge.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

Would it be worth switching to the new uBlock?

yes

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

crestfallen posted:

What is being added to the fork that is compelling? gorhill is going to maintain the original.

It sounds like that's all he's going to do...maintain it, AKA bug fixes. Knowing lone developers, I'm sure that will not last long either. When a lone developer or small team says a product is in maintenance mode, you can put better than even odds on it being abandoned before long.

Anyway, it takes like 1 minute or less to switch between them, so I have a hard time understanding what it means to ask if it's worth it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Anyone else have Google Play Music act weird?

I have All-Access, so I'm not sure if that matters, but when I'm playing a playlist or radio station, the currently playing song doesn't update at the bottom of the screen. It'll just continually show the info for the first song played even though it is actually playing the other songs in the playlist.

Works fine in IE...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I am up to date on beta channel.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Gorilla Salad posted:

Arrgh, why does Google have to do this poo poo? I really liked the cool nerd company that was all about experimentation and innovation. Everyone wants to be Apple nowadays, "Your user experience will be what we tell you it is :colbert:" and all that.

Oh well, your tip to unpack it first worked a treat. Wonder how long that'll last?

crestfallen - I used to use the tampermonkey script but it had the incredibly annoying habit, for me at least, or forgetting all of my settings every time it updated. But if Google cracks down further on wrong-think extensions, I'll just have to go back to it, I suppose.

It's really irritating, but it's probably a good change.

People were getting owned by nefarious extensions. This should cut back on that at the expense of us nerds having a harder, but not impossible, time installing what we want.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Generic Monk posted:

this has always been google's m.o; see the multitude of lovely web app redesigns they've foisted on people. at least with apple the user experience is generally pretty good trending upwards.

I'm fairly sure the general consensus is that google web app design has gotten drastically better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

The best thing I've done for managing groups of tabs is to group them by window.

It's not great, but it's the best I've come up with.