Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I had to reinstall windows yesterday. Prior to that, Chrome's spellcheck always struck me as pretty good, with lots of fictional and foreign names known and taking context into account often. After the reinstall, the spellcheck is pretty crappy and is basically as bad as Firefox's now. I am fairly sure I didn't install anything special to get a better spellcheck so... what gives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I know I just asked about this, but this is really starting to bother me. I still haven't found out why Chrome's spellcheck is suddenly lovely when it didn't use to be like this. So, a few things. Chrome is no longer checking for grammar and word use errors. As in, they're/there, etc. Fictional names are no longer being checked correctly, as in The Witcher (it wants to correct Witcher when it didn't use to). Same with foreign names, like Johan. Also, some words just aren't in the database when they clearly should be, like "impactful".

I know, who cares about spellcheck, it's such a minor feature. But it just really bothers me that it worked excellently, much better than any other browser, until I had to reinstall Windows. I can confirm that I did not have any extensions for this. So I have some questions. What is everyone else's spellcheck like? Are there any hidden settings that I can tweak to make it better? Did I install some weird enhancement (definitely not an extension) and forgot about it?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

:doh: Alright, that was it, thanks. I looked through the advanced settings page but missed that option. Glad I don't see squiggly red lines everywhere anymore.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

When using street view in google maps, foreign street names always display in Japanese for me (Katakana, usually). My google account's preferred language is English with no other languages selected. My google maps language is set to English. My google search language is set to English. My google search region is set to the United States. My browser's language is set to English. My system language is set to English. My system locale is set to English. Every single possible language setting I can think of is set to English. And yet street view insists on showing me foreign street names in Japanese, in all other non-english-speaking countries of the world.

I'm posting this here because it only happens to me in chrome, both on my windows PC and on my chromebook. It does not happen in the google earth desktop app (that I hate using), google maps on my phone, nor in firefox on my desktop. It appears to be a chrome specific setting, but I have no idea what setting that is or where to change it. My language is definitely set to English in Chrome. It's only street names in street view that are affected, all other text elements are in English. The street names on the map view are also in English, so it's just street view. Here's an example. I haven't run into any other sites or services that do this.

Are there any hidden language or region settings that I've missed?

edit: I found out that you can expand out the language option in the chrome settings and Japanese somehow made it in there as a secondary language. Clearing that out fixed the problem. Why does google have like 8 distinct language settings in different spots, and why does google maps use the secondary language you set in chrome (which I didn't set myself) for street names in street view? I will never know, but I'm glad that fixed the issue. I can actually read Katakana, but very slowly, and I hate it. Cursed script.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 11, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

When did they remove the "search google for image" option from the context menu when right clicking on images? Is there some kind of flag or extension I can enable to get that back?

Google please stop removing useful features from your browser, I'm begging you.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Does anyone know of an extension or userscript that lets you highlight text on pages that try to block you from doing so?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Klyith posted:

have you tried typing these words into the extension store?

Yes, but I saw nothing but a bunch of extensions that do random other things to the highlight function (like make it look like you used a highlighter marker).

The bookmarklet seems good, and answers like this is why I came to SA with the question since I wasn't considering the negative effects of an always-on solution. Thanks.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Stitecin posted:

Today I impulse bought a Chromebook for my 3rd grader. It was this one, from Costco. At $229.99 did I get ripped off badly enough that I should return it? If so what should I buy him instead? He just needs it to run gain baseline computer proficiency and run whatever the school district recommends.

I had basically a worse version of this same chromebook, and it was fine. I don't know what kind of work he's expected to do on it, but it can handle video playback and operate web apps without issue. The chassis is basically all plastic, but it seems reinforced because it's pretty solid. The keyboard isn't the worst either. In my opinion, it's probably the best of the sub-$300 chromebooks.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Aug 22, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Anyone else unable to properly view HDR content on Youtube anymore? A few weeks ago, things were just fine. But while youtube still recognizes that I'm in HDR mode and gives me HDR options for content, it now tone maps that content to SDR on my HDR display. This is also happening with Edge, but I figure maybe it's a chomium thing, or maybe Windows hosed something up at some point. HDR games are still properly displayed in HDR for me, as are movies viewed through an HDR-capable media player. I couldn't find anything in the chrome settings or chrome://flags that seem relevant. Anyone know what might have gone wrong here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Anyone else unable to properly view HDR content on Youtube anymore? A few weeks ago, things were just fine. But while youtube still recognizes that I'm in HDR mode and gives me HDR options for content, it now tone maps that content to SDR on my HDR display. This is also happening with Edge, but I figure maybe it's a chomium thing, or maybe Windows hosed something up at some point. HDR games are still properly displayed in HDR for me, as are movies viewed through an HDR-capable media player. I couldn't find anything in the chrome settings or chrome://flags that seem relevant. Anyone know what might have gone wrong here?

I downgraded my chrome version and HDR video playback worked until chrome updated again, then it stopped working. So at some point between version 102 and 118, HDR playback broke for me. I can't find anyone else talking about this, though. I don't get it. I've been trying everything and I can't figure out why it doesn't work.