Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Levitate posted:

What are some good books to start with a general overview of ancient/classical history (Greek, Roman)?

I mean I pretty much know dick all beyond what little I've read in school and the general stuff you hear about historical names, so I'm interested in learning more

The general classic when I was growing up was Edith Hamilton's The Greek Way. It may be outdated by now though.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Greek-Way-Edith-Hamilton/dp/0393310779

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bagheera posted:

So far I've only read the introduction, but it really puts Geghis Khan on a pedestal. It relates how he built massive road systems, enacted religious tolerance, banned torture (?), and joined disparate cultures that have never met before. The introduction makes no mention of the Mongols' slaughtering entire cities; in fact, it barely mentions the military aspect of Genghis' life. Some choice quotes from the introduction:

It's a really interesting book in that it's basically a popular-audience version of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_History_of_the_Mongols . The downside is that, yeah, it's unashamedly pro-mongol.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Tekopo posted:

The Great Game: On Secret Service in High Asia (Peter Hopkirk): Felt ever so slightly biased towards the British and even without condemning the Russians directly the entire book seemed to always drive the narrative towards the side of the British. Was also paced slightly weirdly, with some events skimmed over while others seemed to have an unnecessary level of detail, especially when describing the travels of British adventurers.

I've come this close to ordering this book several times but never pulled the trigger -- usually every time I read Kipling I think about it. How long a period does it cover and how comprehensive is it?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

barkingclam posted:

I've been on a huge biography kick lately, reading all of Robert Caro's LBJ books (I'm about halfway through Master of the Senate; it's easily my favourite one so far) and I'm wondering if there's any other presidential biographies at about the same level: not fluff pieces, not ghostwritten autobiographies (like Reagan's awful memoir), but something along the lines of Caro's books or Richard Ben Cramer's What It Takes.

I haven't read Caro's books but William Morris's three volume biography of Theodore Roosevelt seems to be pretty universally praised.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Does anyone have good suggestions for a history-related Book of the Month selection? Right now I'm thinking of including People's History of the United States in next month's poll but other suggestions would be good, especially since the ones I've been suggesting on my own (1491, etc.) don't seem to get many votes.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

vyelkin posted:

Have you ever done King Leopold's Ghost? It's historical and also a hugely important book for its impact on how people think of colonialism. It's depressing as poo poo though.

I'll try to put it on the poll next month or the month after presuming I remember (feel free to remind me!)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Any suggestions for the BotM poll? Right now I'm leaning towards The Black Count because it was pretty awesome

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Trier posted:

I'm currently reading The Blackest Streets by Sarah Wise

It's a pretty fascinating insight into the shittier aspects of the Victorian era, definitely recommend it to anyone interested in the period or poverty in general. I'm curious for more, though, and I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions for books on the era?

I'm particularly interested in Victorian asylums, as I have a bit of personal and family history regarding the subject, but any suggestion's welcome.

I've been meaning to read these two books because someone I can't remember recommended them:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006C0D72/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=19HZY9DR8MKGA&coliid=I2VGFFGDVB38J1
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1568525753/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=19HZY9DR8MKGA&coliid=I1X17T2TBAE9DJ

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I haven't checked this thread in a while because apparently you're all wonderful people who never use the report button

Any thoughts on this title?

https://www.amazon.com/October-Russian-Revolution-China-Mi%C3%A9ville/dp/1784782777

It's a topic I'd like to read more about but, well, Mieville is not exactly a historian

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

chernobyl kinsman posted:

any recommendations for books on everyday life in the USSR?

There was one just mentioned in the "identify this book" thread but it was about immediately pre-Fall USSR

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

A human heart posted:

oh so nuns being decapitated is supposed to be bad now??

Makes it harder to put the Devil in Hell

unless, of course, you're into that

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ras Het posted:

What should I read on the French revolution if

1) I already know the broad outline well enough that a popular introduction wouldn't be the right book
2) I am happy to read two thousand pages if needs be
3) most importantly, I expect the author to be sympathetic to the revolution, warts and all?

I'm sure it would help if I could read French but alas

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2507/liberte

Just replay it over and over again until you get the French Revolution you prefer

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

xcheopis posted:

Massie's "Peter the Great" is one of my favourite biographies.

I need to re-read that, last time was like thirty years ago. Are Massie's other works better or worse?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

OscarDiggs posted:

My younger brother has been on a bit of a History bent for the last two weeks, and has been asking me for recommendations. Right now he is looking for something "like with Aztecs and poo poo" in his own words. So, can the thread recommend any decent history texts for the layman, especially around the Mexican area?

EDIT: Actually, any and all decent layman texts might be good, especially if they have a "hook" like Stephen Clarkes books on British History being fairly funny.

How old is he?

I'm kinda drawing a blank between Cartoon History of the Universe at the young end and 1491 at the more adult end.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Lewd Mangabey posted:

Glad you found a recommendation that fits what you were looking for, but let me add another vote for 1491 as an eye-opening, accessible popular history book for a young person looking to read about cool history poo poo and hopefully spark an interest in further reading.

I put this in the Book of the Month poll since it seemed to be a consensus pick (and I liked it when I read it). Go vote for it if you want it to win!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

chernobyl kinsman posted:

hieronymous make this botm it sounds badass

Look you already voted for sex bear

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1192589004232908801

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, weird request but I need something uplifting as I trudge through King Leopold's Ghost: are there any uplifting nonfiction books? I understand human history is a long train of people screwing each other over but surely there must be something cool to read about besides the space race.

That's a tough one.

A few options:

1) 1066 And All That -- funny history

2) The Burglary by Betty Mesdger -- the story of the burglary of FBI offices by private activists which revealed the COINTELPRO program; they were never caught, but Medsger was the journalist they talked to

3) The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe -- story of Ken Kesey and the birth of the hippie movement in the 1960's

Other good options might be something like histories of the French Resistance in ww2, etc.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Grand Fromage posted:

Also tbh King Leopold's Ghost is one of the most depressing history books I can think of and it's normal to be bummed out after reading that. The Congo Free State is top level :yikes:

Yeah, I've considered it for BotM .ore than once when I was feeling perverse but never picked it for that reason.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
What's a good book or books on Reconstruction?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Thanks!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1653514266266279936?s=20

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

stereobreadsticks posted:

Perhaps a bit of a long shot here but I'm willing to accept pretty much any recommendation, whether popular or academic, history, archaeology, or anthropology are all fine. I've been curious about the indigenous peoples of southern South America. Obviously there are plenty of English language sources for the major Andean cultures, and there are also a decent amount of books on Amazonian cultures as well, but I haven't seen many sources for the Southern Cone, so how about it? Any books in English about the non-Andean indigenous peoples of Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, and southern Brazil?

1491 is the first thing I'd think of. Not quite on point but covers some of the ground.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Gripweed posted:

I’m reading Six Frigates. It’s extremely good. I’m not going to let this turn me into a boat guy.

If you're reading Six Frigates at all, and don't want to be a boat guy, I have bad news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Foreskin Problems posted:

Would anyone be able to recommend a biography of Theodore Roosevelt?

The three volume one by Edmund Morris. Starts with Theodore Rising. Excellent if a bit hagiographic.