Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

John Charity Spring posted:

George MacDonald Fraser's Flashman series is the benchmark for all good historical fiction. Pick up the first of them, which is simply called Flashman, and wallow in the glory of it. They're the 'memoirs' of a 19th-century Victorian hero, Brigadier Sir Harry Paget Flashman, VC. The conceit is that this much-decorated hero is writing his memoirs in his old age, shortly before the outbreak of the First World War, and being truthful about his exploits for the first time in his life. His exploits being entirely built on lies, cowardice, betrayal, and general poltroonery. They're impeccably researched and accurate (with lots of footnotes by 'the editor' to clarify bits where Flashman's memory is playing him false) and excellently written. Damned funny, too.

Don't start these unless you have few weeks when you don't need your spare time for anything also. Also go ahead and pencil in some time to re-read them every few years or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

toanoradian posted:

These past few weeks I've been reading books that cover the history of a very specific subject. Don't know if there's a term for these. I've read Bread: A Global History, which was good and Library: An Unquiet History, which was great. Do these count as history books? If so, can someone recommend similar books?

Mark Kurlansky's books on salt, codfish, and Basques (among other things) fall into this category.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
No one every went broke writing books telling people how awesome they are.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I was just wondering to myself if anyone had any good books on Popes? Perhaps one going through them one by one or a particularly interesting book about one or two of them?

My "to read" stack has a book in it called "Absolute Monarchs" which I'm pretty sure is about popes. I think maybe someone here recommended it?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Southern Dandy posted:

My dear ol' Mom just passed a couple of weeks ago, and Dad, after his grief, was looking for something to bury his brain in. I directed him to Six Frigates, and after that Pacific Crucible. He's a retired Naval captain, and likes that kind of stuff. And he needs something to take his mind of his pain of losing his friend of 50 years.

I tried to take his mind off the grief with epic stories of Stephen Decatur, and he loves that stuff. I love him to bits, and anything to keep the lonely night goblins away will do him good I think.

Thank you to this thread for supplying me with suggestions. You might not have thought it when you did it, but you've helped keep my pop's intellectual curiosity, and his spirit, alive.

If he's ok with navy-related historical fiction then point him towards Patrick O'Brian and be prepared to not hear from him for however long it takes him to plough through all 20 of those.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3393240
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aubrey%E2%80%93Maturin_series

withak fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 19, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Kindle version of Churchill's The Gathering Storm is on sale for $2.99 today if anyone is into that kind of thing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If there are details that weren't covered in Mash then those details aren't worth knowing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's not a history book in the non-fiction sense, but if you want to scratch a viking itch then The Long Ships by Frans Bengtsson is the best thing you will ever read about vikings (and possibly the best thing you will read about anything).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
These books about the Rhodesian Bush War are on sale today, are they any good?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
"Cod" by Mark Kurlansky does what it says on the tin.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also "The Pencil" and "The Evolution of Useful Things" by Henry Petroski.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Gangs of New York

The book, not the movie. The movie is good too tho.

withak fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 13, 2016

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

The Clothes Have No Emperor by Paul Slansky is the best history of 1980s America.

It's just a collection of events, organized by calendar date, tracking the batshittery of the Reagan administration (with a number of asides about culture and celebrity and world events).

Seconding this.

In 2026 they are going to make the sequel by just pulling up Donald Trump's twitter page and hitting "print."

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

GoingPostal posted:

I'm watching AMC's The Terror right now, and I've seen a few YouTube videos on the subject, but can anyone recommend any books? I've got Michael Palin's book on the Erebus right now from the library, any more recommendations? Audiobooks, as always, are a plus.

I got shockingly far into the novel before I figured out that it was fiction.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

FPyat posted:

My local library did have a copy of the volume of the official history of the war in the pacific dedicated to logistics. Unfortunately, I think it was the kind of history that goes "we built a base here, and moved some ships about, and so on."

As opposed to the "a person did this, then they did that, and so on" type of history?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You're already a boat guy OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nerdburger_Jansen posted:

-The Vikings were probably hot, given that foreigners always seemed impressed by their looks on meeting them.

I’ve been to Scandinavia, this checks out.