Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

BonoMan posted:

Is this album really 18 tracks long???

Yes. It’s a double album and lasts 58 minutes. A lot of the tracks are short as well. It’s great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Sympathy goes hard

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

89 posted:

Hey guys! So, I used to be heavily in the scene years back. Hit Bonnaroo up 11 times, Lolla once before, ACL twice. Then, life and stuff. Harder for me to stay up to date with my music as I got older. I've been frustrated lately because I feel like I can't find anything new that I like. The only newer album I've gotten into in the past couple of years is LCD Soundsystem's latest one (American Dream). I've relied on Spotify's discovery and it's been eh.

Is it possible to get some recommendations from you guys?

Top Artists: Pearl Jam, Radiohead, Sigur Ros, The National, My Morning Jacket, Interpol, M83, Beatles, LCD Soundsystem, Tame Impala, Kings of Leon pre-Sex on Fire, Sufjan Stevens

More recent music I've liked:

Friendly Fires - Lack of Love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smIlSyJbDWQ

Ra Ra Riot - Back to Worse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGVulWzlssc

Car Seat Headrests - Body
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvsQPCbgJOA

Used to, I got a lot of help in finding new artists and music through seeing live shows at Bonnaroo. But, the taste of that festival has shifted soooooo much in the last 10 years that I absolutely hate what music gets booked at that festival now. When I went a couple of years ago, I could hardly find a band with a guitar in it. They even turned one of the stages into a 24/7 dubstep stage that played the same 20 remixes all weekend long. Ughhhhhh.

Recommendations, please? :) I'm down for links to live shows from youtube. Studio stuff is cool, but live is on another live.

indie rock died man

Listen to Blood Orange

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
IMO vampire weekend might be my favorite album of the year so far

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Count Chocula posted:

I posted that comic in my local tabletop RPG Facebook group & people called me sexist & I got this response: ‘is this supposed to be funny? Faceless women reduced to milk producer? Gross’ and I had to delete it.

WTF

yeah sounds like you should leave that group. and facebook in general as well lmao

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
That story rules

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
drat sleater Kinney sucks now

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
He was an Austin legend and I can’t even to begin to describe how sad I was yesterday. Rip

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Indie rock had a better decade during the 2000s. poo poo fell off hard this decade for sure

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Thom and the Heads posted:

this is emo erasure and i wont stand for it. emo had a big decade

Yeah it did. While indie rock and alt rock or whatever died and started being boring, emo had a huge comeback.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

aotd is blonde

Facts

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Let’s be real. Danger mouse is a boring producer and hasn’t done anything interesting imo since demon days

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

Plenty of artists got several entries. There are two Rae Sremmurd songs and I don't think anyone has thought about them since 2016.

You’re trippin dude

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

He’s right tho. Rae Sremmurd 2 was a bop, but 3 was a flop and their individual ventures have been nothin of note.

You’re out of your drat mind if you actually think this

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Lid posted:

no Swans, no Agalloch, no Danny Brown Atrocity Exhibition, no Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds, no IDLES, no Benji, no Neon Indian, no The Menzingers, no Purity Ring, no Jon Hopkins, no Baroness, no Kylesa, only one of Death Grips, the wrong Angel Olsen album, no Rhye

somehow Channel Orange is 8 places ahead of good kid maas city despite coming out in the same year and to this day good kid is a better album, Robyn being still held up as some icon but ugh

but the best part is not including Benji BUT NAME DROPPING IT IN THE SUFJAN STEVENS REVIEW

"Compared to the decade’s other creative-nonfiction-folk landmarks—Sun Kil Moon’s Benji and Mount Eerie’s A Crow Looked at Me—the songs on Carrie & Lowell rarely take place in the present tense."

they did include A Crow Looked At Me so this really is just trying to whitewash

Who cares man

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

T Bowl posted:

He is quoted as saying this about his music.. I hope he changes his mind about "only five albums".

"Yes. I’m only making five albums. And they all do serve a cohesive narrative of a life journey of a human soul from a traditional Western perspective. So High Top Mountain was a seminal album or a past life, you can’t go home. Metamodern (Sounds in Country Music) was ethereal, literally like the soul’s journey through space. A Sailor’s Guide (To Earth) represents birth, and life lessons learning them. The next one is going to be about life and sin. We’re literally going to go to hell. And the fifth one will be returning to the light. Absolution."

this guy lives in a society goddamn

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Alec Eiffel posted:

I don't know anyone who was talking about it a month after its release and I work adjacent to a SoCal record store, so it's not like I'm in Wyoming. "Alright" got plays and "King Kunta" is a good song, but I don't know, man, it dropped off the cultural radar like Game of Thrones just did.

You’re high as gently caress that’s for sure

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
It’s a sick song

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Pitchfork has terrible taste and spend more of their time creating the PF brand than thinking about music. Same reason they love Arcade Fire so much.

Yeah except they gave the last arcade fire album a 5.6 so you are wrong.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nice edgy take. There's been a ton of good Coldplay songs. Sorry that shatters your hipster world view.

They’re boring

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

LionArcher posted:

Or you’re just a boring person who doesn’t get them. Best concerts of my life.

I saw them live in Austin and I was not impressed my friend lol

E: actually I’ve seen them in Mexico as well for their viva la vida tour. It just isn’t for me! Sorry for making a big general statement like that

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Lol they used to just hate everything. I remember the same with like a nine inch nails album too.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Nihonniboku posted:

Spotify recommended a song by Bartees Strange to me, and I liked it. Then a few days later I saw that his album was named Best New Music over at Pitchfork. Listened to the whole album, and I really like it. He reminds me a lot of TV on the Radio.

I loving loved this album

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Bro you have got to be loving kidding me LMAOOOOOO what a goddamn loser lol

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Lid posted:

ok this is a confession I have to make

I never listened to Robyn

and I had a very very weird reason for this - for some reason I confused Robyn with La Roux and specifically La Roux's song Bulletproof annoyed the poo poo out of me. Up until last year I did not realise the mistake I had made and thus had missed Robyn's entire career thinking she was La Roux.

edit: i should've also mentioned Sophie Ellis-Bextor who as far as pure pop gets is like so loving great and i love her

drat, its time you listen to some Robyn.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Beat connection owns. Glad James Murphy finally re added it back to the setlist

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Personally my biggest surprise with Chvrches was with their 3rd album and they attempted to go for a more mainstream / imagine dragons type radio sound. If it weren't for the last album and their song on Death Stranding, I would've written them off by now.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
100 gecs forever

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Ratios and Tendency posted:

100 Gecs are terrible. I don't care if it's intentional or whatever it's everything I don't like about music.

we get it bro you hate nu metal

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

whos that broooown posted:

also sleigh bells already did this

sleigh bells only have 1 good album. 100 gecs has 2 incredible albums

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

i am a moron posted:

I listen to tons of weird poo poo, I’m sure a lot of people in this thread do. 100 gecs isn’t some avant garde art project, it doesn’t even rise to DARKSIDE levels of sometimes being semi unlistenable annoying wankery. I personally just find them annoying :shrug:

I think that’s fine. 100 gecs is an amalgation of tons of stuff that personally give me nostalgia and joy. Like it’s silly as gently caress and hits all the reference points I love in music since the nu metal days. It’s just ridiculous and over the top and I’m on board. Like when a song just randomly turns into like a death metal grind core thing for the breakdown. Or when suddenly you get nu metal style grooves. Or just a silly ska song about a frog or removing your tooth.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Bright Bart posted:

Is Phoenix indie? They're on boutique labels, played for NPR, and a surprising number of people I know haven't heard of them.

Anyways what I want to do is to complain that they've gone from tracks to which you want to dance & bittersweet ballads to recent albums being (serious?) takes on technology and religion. Every other song has been hearing John Lennon saying "Number Nine" in my head.

No they are not indie.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Big City Drinkin posted:

Honestly I have to say that 100 gecs just aren’t good. I don’t get it. I’ve listened to the new album 146 times to confirm this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NWHnWbpxmc&t=4886s

wrong

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

i am a moron posted:

Liking anything even adjacent to System of a Down is the ultimate bad taste tell

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

i am a moron posted:

This joke has never been made before, you’re very original on top of thinking System of a Down isn’t the worst

i wasn't joking

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
boygenius was really good

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
That new M83 album was so boring. I miss when they were putting out stuff like Saturdays = youth

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Boygenius fuckin rules

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

I definitely think they're overhyped. Like, they have some good songs, like Not Strong Enough, or Bite the Hand That Feeds Me, but they also fall into standard singer-songwriter fare too.

They're good, but they're not the greatest thing happening right now.

That would be Taylor Swift.

Bad bunny clears Taylor swift and easily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
this the real super group

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tvW25Qu5WE